Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century Coming December 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I want to believe events like Isabella, Iberian Wedding or Burgundian Inheritance have been improved or replaced by missions rewards.

Also Colonial Nations needed some rework in my opinion.

The DLC is okay if it has some of this, if not is a bit dissapointing.

But to be honest I'll buy it no matter how bad or good it is because it's a DLC of my country and I love EU4...

No unit or music packs? This was in every Immersion Pack before.

Copied this from Steam page. Apparantly they forget to mention this here:

Golden Century includes a Content Pack that includes:
  • New Iberian Army Units: 20 unique infantry units for Granada/Andalucia, Navarra, Leon/Galicia, Salé and Pirates.
  • New Iberian Ship Models: 17 new ship models for the Iberian nations (Portugal, Spain, Aragon, Navarra, Galicia, Leon, Andalucia and Granada.)
  • New Berber Ship Models: 17 new ship models for Berber nations (Morocco, Tlemcen, Algiers, Tunis, Fezzan, Mzab, Toggourt, Djerid, Tripoli, Tafilalt, Sus, Fez, Salé.)
  • New Music: 10 to 12 minutes of original music inspired by the discovery of the New World.

Love it... Excepttthe Spanish Empire was at its zenith until arguably the Treaty of the Pyrenees. The Spanish launched more armadas (and the English a bigger "counter armada" that was wiped out in La Coruna". But I get it. It would take a historian in Spanish history to dispel the myths.

goldencentury_RDA_ForumPost.png

From the completion of the Reconquista to the defeat of the Spanish Armada, the Iberian Peninsula was the center of gravity for Europe. Spanish and Portuguese explorers and conquerors built rich overseas empires. English privateers preyed on the gold shipped through the Caribbean. And the Catholic Church ruled hand-in-hand with great monarchs like Isabel of Castile and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Golden Century, the newest Immersion Pack for Europa Universalis IV, takes you back to that age of adventure and ambition. This add-on to Paradox Development Studio’s classic game of empires and trade is inspired by the Golden Age of exploration and piracy. Golden Century will be available for $9.99 / £7,19 / €9,99 on 11 December 2018. Pre-Order it now on the Store!

Features of Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century include:

• Minority Expulsion: Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations.
  • Establish Orders: Iberian nations can appoint Jesuit, Franciscan or Dominican clerics to govern their states to reduce unrest or ease conversion.
  • New Mission Trees: New missions and objectives for the nations of Iberia and Northwest Africa, including Spain and Andalusia.
  • Pirate Republics: Play as or combat against pirate nations in dangerous sea zones, with their own flavor and game style.
  • Flagships: Appoint a Flagship to lead your navy, adding combat and trade power to your fleets.
  • Naval Barrage: Use your ships to help besiege coastal forts by bombarding the walls.

Golden Century will ship with a major free update that includes an extensive reworking of the game maps of Iberia, Northwest Africa and Mexico.

Little nitpicking: I received a mail about the new DLC. It looks nice and all, but part of the white text is really hard to read on a nearly white background.

I had that problem reading the email on my phone, but my computer renders it perfectly (the white text is supposed to be in front of a dark box to give it contrast but for some reason that box does not show on my phone). Maybe it's a browser/mail reader thing?

Phone screenshot
Screenshot_20181121-111047_Outlook[1].jpg
Desktop screenshot:
screenie.jpg

Last edited:
Preorder incentives?

since you update the map for mexico, will the mesoamericans recieve a mission tree?

Otherwise a nice little immersionpack that should give iberia and maghreb region more flavor

It should have been the flag of Castile and Leon on that ship.
During the stream I noticed the names on the Balear Islands are still wrong, Majorca (english) and Ibiza (spanish) instead of the proper Mallorca and Eivissa in catalan. I'm surprised given how many of us commented on it in the forum.

Preorder incentives?

Copied this from Steam page. Apparantly they forget to mention this here:

Golden Century includes a Content Pack that includes:
  • New Iberian Army Units: 20 unique infantry units for Granada/Andalucia, Navarra, Leon/Galicia, Salé and Pirates.
  • New Iberian Ship Models: 17 new ship models for the Iberian nations (Portugal, Spain, Aragon, Navarra, Galicia, Leon, Andalucia and Granada.)
  • New Berber Ship Models: 17 new ship models for Berber nations (Morocco, Tlemcen, Algiers, Tunis, Fezzan, Mzab, Toggourt, Djerid, Tripoli, Tafilalt, Sus, Fez, Salé.)
  • New Music: 10 to 12 minutes of original music inspired by the discovery of the New World.

Need more? :)

Features of Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century include:

Minority Expulsion:
Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations.
Not clear what is the historical event this is trying to replicate, is there the impression that bigoted European monarchs voluntarily gave the hated minorities free land in their colonial dominions and paid for the trip? Anyway, culture conversion is not worth the diplo points, doubt this will change it, going Humanist still seems like the only competitive strategy. And why on earth would you want to make your Colonial Nations more unstable? They already struggle to survive against the natives, has that been fixed?
Establish Orders: Iberian nations can appoint Jesuit, Franciscan or Dominican clerics to govern their states to reduce unrest or ease conversion.
This mechanic is just plain bad, it involves zero strategy, it makes no sense to restrict it to just Iberians, and makes a mockery of the actual complex and far reaching history of these Catholic Orders. Has Catholicism been fixed yet by the way?
New Mission Trees: New missions and objectives for the nations of Iberia and Northwest Africa, including Spain and Andalusia.
The lowest effort content, most moders could knock these out in a day. If you want to sell this, at least give us quantity, where are the missions for New World natives, for the Colonial Nations, etc.?
Pirate Republics: Play as or combat against pirate nations in dangerous sea zones, with their own flavor and game style.
Disney Universalis 4? I'm sure there will plenty of witty puns and 4th wall breaking references. But it seems that the main gameplay aspects of playing as Pirates will be Naval Combat and Coastal Raiding, i.e. two of the most awful mechanics in the game. Have those been fixed?
Flagships: Appoint a Flagship to lead your navy, adding combat and trade power to your fleets.
Hero units in a grand strategy game? Is this really what we need?
Naval Barrage: Use your ships to help besiege coastal forts by bombarding the walls.
And finally a mechanic which was designed in such a way as to become utterly pointless as soon as you have a single cannon in your army.
Golden Century will ship with a major free update that includes an extensive reworking of the game maps of Iberia, Northwest Africa
A more accurate description would be "an incorrect and underwhelming reworking of the game maps", as can be seen here, here and here, for example.

Such a wasted opportunity. More bloat while the many problems in the game keep accumulating. And it is clear that this update will close the door on future actual improvements to Iberia. Despite its importance in the EU4 period, it has almost never been touched and will remain a terribly historically inaccurate area of the game with bland gameplay.

I will not be buying this DLC of course, and encourage other players to also vote with their wallets and demand better value for your hard earned cash.

Last edited:
The minority expulsion mechanic will be an interesting one, as we could create awesome exclaves to port into Vicky 3, right?

As underwhelming that another content pack can be, i'll like the trailer more if it were in castillian, like the trailers for other dlc, that were made in the language of the culture.

Last edited: