HOI4 Dev Diary - Air Improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My first comment on this forum but I am a big lurker actually. :)

Any chance that we can get a revising in the Oak patch of Naval warfare? I feel that is a very important add on before to proceed with the release ... :(
Welcome :)
I believe 1.5 will have work done on Naval warfare, if I'm correct the Devs said that the Pacific Theatre was next on their to do list.

Hi everyone, time for this weeks Death or Dishonor and Oak Update dev diary. Today will be all about the improvements to the air warfare coming in the update. Some of you who were at PDXCON this weekend might have had a sneakpeek, but here are the details :) Speaking of PDXCON, I had a lot of fun meeting fans (but yikes my feet after 3 days), and look forward to next years!

Issues with the old system
When we started looking at the air warfare part of the game we felt that there was two main flaws: Transparency and Control. The system only really showed you information over very long time with graphs so it was very hard to understand what was going on and what you could do to improve things. Control wise it was a lot of work to select, organize and move wings around, not to mention having to open lots of airbase windows everywhere.

So what did we do? Check out this screenshot, it shows most stuff we have at once:

View attachment 266394

First of all we decided to go with something we knew would work well, making airwings behave more like divisions. They are now on the map and you can move them between bases and assign missions in a similar way to divisions and it’s easy to give orders to many things at once. Secondly we made a new air combat interface that should be a lot more helpful and informative. Keep reading to check out all the details...

Air Wing Interface
View attachment 266395

The air wing interface has been overhauled. The air base window is now gone. Instead, when clicking on an air base, the air wings will be listed on the left, like army divisions would if you selected ground units. We also added the ability to drag a selection box over several air bases to be able to give orders to all of them at the same time.

The list of air wings shows relevant information about the air wing, such as its strength, type and missions it’s currently flying.
View attachment 266396

Relocating wings to a new airbase is easily done by just selecting them and right-clicking on a new airbase. We’ve added arrows to show that an air wing is relocating and its progress.

Assign Air missions
Above the list of air wings is the mission panel. To give an air wing a mission in the new system, click on the missions icons in the panel, and right click on the target air region on the map.
View attachment 266397

As before, wings will only fly missions that are suitable to them. This means that it’s possible to select both air superiority and bombing missions with a mix of air wings. The fighter wings will perform air superiority missions and the bomber wings will, unsurprisingly, provide bombing. This change should make it a lot easier to manage orders for several air wings at the same time and reduce the need to micromanage the air units.

Another thing you might have spotted in the first screenshot is that we now have special combat icons in air mapmode. These show by base color how it's going (sorry Germany) but also which side is getting air support, so a green plane with a + means they are getting help from the boys in the air.
View attachment 266398

Air Combat Window
As you may have noticed, selecting air wings does not automatically bring up the air region window. This is because we have changed this window into becoming the new air combat window.

View attachment 266399

The new combat window provides information on air combats in the past day, or from the last sortie. The top of the window shows the familiar information from the old air region window, but the bottom shows the new air combat overview.

The overview is divided into air superiority missions, where fighters battle against enemy fighters, at the top and in the bottom half we show you bombing missions and intercepts. This information can be filtered by mission type, and toggled between our missions and enemy missions.

In the top part you might recognize two new icons. Those are for Air Detection. It's such an important value that we felt it best to move from tooltips and show that instead of radar (which is just one of the factors affecting detection). We’ve been rebalancing a bunch of that stuff too, but don't look too closely on numbers as its in progress.

You may also notice that we’ve added some other useful information. A very important stat is the disruption. This refers to air missions that have been forced to divert back to base, for example due to taking damage from intercepting fighters.

Radar
You might have spotted a little green circle in the first screenie also. We've added more visible radar overlays that you can bring up either through a toggle or by hovering over one
View attachment 266401

Oh yeah, for those who want to see all the new on-map air counter icons here you go:
View attachment 266400

As is normal in game development you only end up having enough time to do half of the things you planned from the start, so see this as the first step on air improvements as well. More things are sure to follow in the future, but we are pretty happy with this progress :)

Next week we’ll be taking a look at Yugoslavia. See you then!
Great UI changes, but I was seriously hoping for this and other things like training, experience levels, and even possibly more in depth things like pilot numbers/air school training.

Pilot training schools and air unit experience levels were critical to winning the air war.

Last edited:
Well, the DD don´t talked much about the balancing. (including l.fighters vs h. fighters) but i sense its also on the work :).
Waiting the 1.4 as those changes do makes more easy to see whats going on allowing more players to understand the mechanics and play even better.

@podcat

Does the bug with aircrafts with 0% mission efficiency still giving air superiority bonus fixed? Its right now my main concern as it allow players to put their whole airforce in a single airfield, get a impossible amount of air superiority and get 0 planes killed even by accident as they don´t fly or fight.

I have to say im rather disappointed about whats been revealed here. Im not sure if you guys have more hidden behind the scenes that youre not telling us about yet, but when you said you were reworking the air war, i thought you actually were going to rework it, not fix some UI issues and call it a day.

The air war is filled with bugs, CAS is absolute cancer, half the mechanics are still hidden, and i could go on and on and on. Really i was looking forward to this Dev diary, and i hope you have more still in the bag to reveal about this.

There is no new interception in-between zones no. The thing with that is that in almost all situations planes end up being able to come from all sorts of directions and its a really difficult thing to get right interaction wise with players. So it would require a huge effort to get right and have fairly limited end result, so we decided we didn't have time for that. Doesn't mean we never do it though.
As for training, yea that would be cool for sure. As I said see this as step one and we'll do more air stuff in the future.
Thanks for the reply, @podcat, much appreciated. I understand that you can't do everything at once, but I'll admit I'm a little disappointed that there's not more to this air update. Still, its positive that it's on your radar and something you (may) get to in the future. One question, though - who do we have to nag to get you more resources? Sounds like with all the ideas you have you need another developer or three! ;)

@podcat

I just realize something. I usually join a huge faction or create my own for my nefarious goals.

This new interface is nice and good for your own wings. But if you are a super tiny nation that completely avoid manufacturing air wings because you will never have resource/enough factories to keep up and go full ground/mot/mech only etc...

Can I use that same interface to watch air combat for allied and/or together-in-same-war-but-not-allied nations?

I want to be sure, the big rework of the air warfare is just an overhaul of UI?

So, if i take my current game as Brasil. I occupied cuba and want to start a naval invasion in Floride, so for me to have air superiority on the beach I need plane which can fly from cuba to New York? Or for IRL, during D-Day my plane should be able to go from UK to Alsace to covert Ohama beach ....

Also no word for balance between figter or training system.

I feel like HOI4 team didn't have the right priority for many bug / problem in the game ...

A few others said this or something very similar and I want to throw my voice behind the idea:

Air wings act like ships. I select a province, tell the game I want 50 fighters and 50 bombers, and the game assigns planes to airfields in best range. Airfield built at the province level instead of state.

The idea being get rid of the still not corrected in this update micromanagement of moving air wings around manually.

I also love the person who suggested when we create wings, we pick the type of plane we want. Or even type or plane and tech level (one two three, jet). I really hate scrolling up and down a small narrow window of useless equipment to find one type I want.

Setting aside the issues that this will likely cause for people who are colorblind, I don't think coloring the bubbles like that is a good idea. The normal, land mapmode trains the player to see a green bubble as good, and a red bubble as bad. By itself, that's a great bit of UI shorthand, easily conveying to the player how battles are going as they quickly pan around the map. However, in the air mode shown here, it appears at first glance that the player is losing all of their air engagements, or that the enemy is getting all the air support.
The player is in fact losing all those engagements (I said something like "poor germany" in the diary text), although some do get the green + for support (but its not enough to turn things around)

Looking good. Still sceptical about how it still uses air regions, though. Hoping for the day when you can just attach planes to armies, or have them work based on proximity to air bases somehow.

What I'd also love to see is a kind of "air wing template" and, as others have mentioned, air wings gaining experience :) . Hoping to see this happens somewhere down the road.

Thanks for the reply, @podcat, much appreciated. I understand that you can't do everything at once, but I'll admit I'm a little disappointed that there's not more to this air update. Still, its positive that it's on your radar and something you (may) get to in the future. One question, though - who do we have to nag to get you more resources? Sounds like with all the ideas you have you need another developer or three! ;)

or five!

but yeah, you cant do everything or there would never be anything released. These UI changes are a huge undertaking and there is no way of changing other parts of the system without actually having updated interfaces that show you what is going on. As I said this is our first step, there are alot more changes we want to do to air.

New version Oak is going to be absolutely stunning. Congretulations dev team for all the good work on the version. Can't wait to buy DLC and play :p

On the plus side, that patch will make the game better. On the flip side, I want it out already :(

So CAS is still being god? Killing tanks, infantry navies and everything else?
as I said earlier, that is a balance/bug. we are still testing so I cant say yet what we have/havent fixed but I think we may have solved it (question is if we also broke everything else :D QA process is always scary)

Well, the DD don´t talked much about the balancing. (including l.fighters vs h. fighters) but i sense its also on the work :).

Are there any posts or such you can reference that might give us hope? One would think if there were such things being worked on this DD would have been the time to say something like "We are also working on the air combat balance for 1.4".

I have to say im rather disappointed about whats been revealed here. Im not sure if you guys have more hidden behind the scenes that youre not telling us about yet, but when you said you were reworking the air war, i thought you actually were going to rework it, not fix some UI issues and call it a day.

The air war is filled with bugs, CAS is absolute cancer, half the mechanics are still hidden, and i could go on and on and on. Really i was looking forward to this Dev diary, and i hope you have more still in the bag to reveal about this.

I did ask some specific questions to Podcat earlier in the thread regarding any changes in the combat or balance, have not seen a response. Podcat just responded that they are working on the CAS bug so there is hope.

as I said earlier, that is a balance/bug. we are still testing so I cant say yet what we have/havent fixed but I think we may have solved it (question is if we also broke everything else :D QA process is always scary)
No, I am not talking about dividing them into 20x20 wings, I am talking about how 1000 CAS slaughter fighters, tanks, navies, Carriers, battleships, and I guess even bombers. Why build fighters, if another 1000 CAS can murder them still?