HOI4 - Development Diary - 5th of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SteelVolt mentioned in another post this week he had 152 items on his "list" of issues. One patch is not going to fix this mess. But I certainly was looking for more than generic promises about the AI and a multi-player bone to be tossed out in this DD.

Hopefully fixing the non-existent war in the Pacific, naval combat, and port strikes will eventually creep into the patch task list.

I finally gave up and put HOI4 aside until PDS releases patches that make the game more enjoyable to play. Even if there was a compete mod that fixed all of the land, naval, and air balance, research, event, focus, and template issues, there are still too many bugs in the AI right now to make the SP game anything but a frustrating experience to play. Games are supposed to be enjoyable entertainment and this is not. PDS got my $40 bucks at release this time, I'll consider the lesson finally learned and never again purchase PDS until after at least 2 patches. I'll go play new MOO or something else for a while and hope my money here wasn't wasted.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Yes, it would. If the AI recognizes the Sahara as incredibly dangerous, it will avoid it. Many good ways to do that.
That's not what was asked, or what I said. As troops advance, the front line they are assigned to automatically is spread to adjacent provinces. Having the AI recognize the Sahara as dangerous wouldn't stop that, short of removing those provinces, as the front line would still be added to those provinces. What grandad1982 was asking for was a way to stop the battleplanner from expanding the scope of the plan into that area, in addition to fixing the troops' willingness to go into those areas, which is already being worked on.

Reactions:
@podcat... So can we get some message settings now? Even just a popup and pause when a naval invasion or paradrop lands would be good. Please? Pretty please ?

A big +1 for this. A popup and pause when a naval combat starts (or a bunch of other things happened - enemy breaking through a plan or fallback line, for example) would make life a lot more enjoyable for playing from my perspective.

Reactions:
Not sure that would be all that helpful.
1. there needs to be a lot more feedback and special cases for a new terrain type and occupation rules etc
2. wouldnt really make AI stop sending stuff

havent totally ruled it out, but we are trying to improve ai first for sure
@podcat

Theres a mod that does this and works well. Not sure why you need 'new' terrain types and occupation rules, the mod simply removes any kind of ownership. Thus Africa plays out a lot more like HOI3, with most battles taking place along the Mediterranean coast, as they did historically.

Of course, if you want to keep the borders looking nice, etc, then I suppose a more complicated solution is in order.

See here, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699397350
6089E9B2136666DC8F781B4E09749EBD412D1A5B

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think what the battle plans really needs is a priority system. What I mean is that first you draw the battle plan, and then color the provinces in three colors:
1) Yellow (default) : province should to be conquered
2) Green (high priority) : province should be given the highest priority of all for conquering
3) Red (prohibition) : province shouldn't be conquered at all

This would actually allow to make really effective battelplans - for example, like blitzing Warsaw with motorized divisions as Germany from the north without conquering half of Poland at the same time, you just color the three provinces leading to Warsaw in green and the rest in red, done.

Reactions:
add Manchukuo back in! it doesnt make sense to leave it out!
The Japanese AI wouldn't be able to handle the Sovjet Front if they added Manchuko. That is the reason behind it.

Reactions:
From the official HOI4 site:

"
  • Authentic real-time war simulation: Let the greatest commanders of WW2 fight your war with the tools of the time; tanks, planes, ships, guns and newly discovered weapons of mass destruction.
"

LOL

Reactions:
add Manchukuo back in! it doesnt make sense to leave it out!

One thing I never liked about playing Japan in HoI3 is thatyou can't construct within the territory of your puppets. That means no airbase improvements and no infrastructure improvements, for example. So although the lack of Manchukuo is annoying from a historical standpoint, I don't want it reintroduced unless we get new subject interactions, including the ability to build improvements in puppet territory.

Reactions:
From the official HOI4 site:

"
  • Authentic real-time war simulation: Let the greatest commanders of WW2 fight your war with the tools of the time; tanks, planes, ships, guns and newly discovered weapons of mass destruction.
"

This only gets me angry... I feel it's bad marketing and branding if this is supposed to be just a sandbox game as everyone says. I bet most people bought this because they wanted a WW2 game - of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It's not authentic, it's not plausible and it's not realistic or historical by a long shot.

HOI3 was not the perfect game, however it really beats HOI4, it was more authentic, it was more plausible, it was more realistic and it was more historical.

Reactions:
Hi everyone, it feels good to be back! With the team trickling back after well deserved vacation this week, rested and tanned (well the ones who didn't spend most of it playing games in the dark), we are getting back into gear for the 1.2 patch which we've named "Sunflower" (bonus points for whoever figures out the reference first).

Why not Daisy?

Reactions: