• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He is poking fun because ... Sweden.

It's popular sport in America too.

It's envy. :-(

Reactions:
How can anyone with that avatar be envious of anyone?

Reactions:
I remember back in the day - before EU4 was out - one of the devs mentioned that the great thing about the new Clausewitz engine (pre-2.0 at the time?) was its modularity; In essence allowing the ability to pick a part of the engine to tweak and put it back in without too much hassle, thus allowing the engine to evolve in ease with time and support the continued development of PDS games without having to worry about writing a new engine in the foreseeable future.

You now have several titles, each one was developed on the latest version of Clausewitz at the time and helped defining it. My questions are as follows**:
1. With regards to CK2, EU4, HoI4 and Stellaris what version of the engine were they worked/released on and what version [or branch if you prefer] are they on now? What's the difference in their capabilities?
2. If they are not on the latest version [most likely] how much weight do you give to incorporating engine updates when designing new content? Or do you prefer to leave that to maintenance-patches only [if at all]?
3. Usually when designing an engine there's a game that helps to push its development further. Which game do you use for that purpose now [HoI4/Stellaris] and in what way?

**I enjoy techno-babble [and game-engines are what drove me to programming] so feel free to babble.

The more meaningless technobabble you can get into one post the better.

What happened to the EU: Rome avatars? I switched to this one from the Sparta avatar to celebrate the KR anniversary and now I am unable to find the EU: Rome avatars. I do hope that I am just terrible at finding things and that it is really right in front of my face rather than Paradox doing away with the avatars.

What happened to the EU: Rome avatars? I switched to this one from the Sparta avatar to celebrate the KR anniversary and now I am unable to find the EU: Rome avatars. I do hope that I am just terrible at finding things and that it is really right in front of my face rather than Paradox doing away with the avatars.
I cannot find them either. (Not that I want to switch; just to say that it isn't just DKM who don't have them.)

EU:Rome II confirmed! :p

(Sorry about that! Someone was bound to say it though)

Reactions:
I am sure Paradox and Valve are planing a co-announcement of Half-Life 3 and Rome 2.

Holy shit, Stellaris is gorgeous.

Holy shit, Stellaris is gorgeous.
I think it is. But I believe it would be weird for Paradox to answer anything other than yes to that question. :p

Now that PDS is supporting it's games and adding content to them on a greater basis than the past does it cause some trepidation when considering a sequel? I mean it was one thing to do an EUIV based on the mechanics and expansion of EUIII but surely now it's getting a taller and taller order for CKIII and EUV.

Now that PDS is supporting it's games and adding content to them on a greater basis than the past does it cause some trepidation when considering a sequel? I mean it was one thing to do an EUIV based on the mechanics and expansion of EUIII but surely now it's getting a taller and taller order for CKIII and EUV.
With the new DLC model I'd expect the games to have a much longer lifecycle than their predecessors. The only things I can see triggering an EU5 are a core change like eliminating monarch points or a significant change in system requirements. Right now the games are really pushing the 2GB memory limit and they might feel that they can't change memory and OS requirements without a new version. They might just treat that as EU4 2.0 though as they did with CK2 when they stopped patching the non-Steam version.

They should have gone the other way round. Done it the FIFA way. EU2013, EU2014, EU2015, EU2016, EU2017. Full price each time, pretty much the same game each time as well. They'd be EA by now. Learn from the richer than you. It's not like people appreciate the current pretty generous DLC model anyways. ;-)

/troll

Reactions:
That requirement is probably illegal in Sweden by now. :-x
True. Swedish civil rights fanatism is well known. Norway should build a wall on the border to be sure to keep 'em out. At Sweden's expense.*nods*

True. Swedish civil rights fanatism is well known. Norway should build a wall on the border to be sure to keep 'em out. At Sweden's expense.*nods*
Now you are required to get a bad hair weave.:eek:

Holy shit, Cossacks promo (the one witth Danub writing a letter) is nearing 200k views on youtube.

I remember back in the day - before EU4 was out - one of the devs mentioned that the great thing about the new Clausewitz engine (pre-2.0 at the time?) was its modularity; In essence allowing the ability to pick a part of the engine to tweak and put it back in without too much hassle, thus allowing the engine to evolve in ease with time and support the continued development of PDS games without having to worry about writing a new engine in the foreseeable future.

You now have several titles, each one was developed on the latest version of Clausewitz at the time and helped defining it. My questions are as follows**:
1. With regards to CK2, EU4, HoI4 and Stellaris what version of the engine were they worked/released on and what version [or branch if you prefer] are they on now? What's the difference in their capabilities?
2. If they are not on the latest version [most likely] how much weight do you give to incorporating engine updates when designing new content? Or do you prefer to leave that to maintenance-patches only [if at all]?
3. Usually when designing an engine there's a game that helps to push its development further. Which game do you use for that purpose now [HoI4/Stellaris] and in what way?

**I enjoy techno-babble [and game-engines are what drove me to programming] so feel free to babble.

Well, this won't be techno babble, but maybe some answers.
1. They are all on different versions. Each time we start with a game, we branch off the engine so they all have their very own. We lift in good updates from time to time, but just the ones that are interesting for the game. The difference is in a ton off different small things, and a few bigger. It is going to be a bigger difference for the next game we start with, because that will have some major improvements from the engine. Mostly that makes it easier to work with for us, but that might also be noticeable in the games after that.
2. Very rarely any at all. We might merge selected pieces of the engine, but it's not really a where we need to be when thinking about design. Design should be made because of what will be more fun, and then we fix it.
3. Each game pushed the engines in different ways. HoI and Stellaris are both pushing right now, but even more consideration goes in the next title.

Reactions:
Well, this won't be techno babble, but maybe some answers.
1. They are all on different versions. Each time we start with a game, we branch off the engine so they all have their very own. We lift in good updates from time to time, but just the ones that are interesting for the game. The difference is in a ton off different small things, and a few bigger. It is going to be a bigger difference for the next game we start with, because that will have some major improvements from the engine. Mostly that makes it easier to work with for us, but that might also be noticeable in the games after that.
2. Very rarely any at all. We might merge selected pieces of the engine, but it's not really a where we need to be when thinking about design. Design should be made because of what will be more fun, and then we fix it.

Thanks for answering.
Sad to hear about specific-game engine upgrades, but it was expected. Too often a change in the platform makes it easier to write the whole thing from the ground up instead of rewriting the old app**.

HoI and Stellaris are both pushing right now, but even more consideration goes in the next title.
I guess that would be the mysterious Project Titus/Dallas you refuse to give us any hints about ;)

**It still makes you proud to look at the old code and the new one thinking "I can't believe how easy it is now to get the same results; I am GOOD! [if only they would allow me to tinker with that damn coffee-machine's firmware now...]"

Sad to hear about specific-game engine upgrades, but it was expected. Too often a change in the platform makes it easier to write the whole thing from the ground up instead of rewriting the old app**.

Also, each having their own branch of the engine makes it more flexible. Each game can modify the engine to their hearts desire without having to consider if that will break something in another game. We had it different before, and this is way better, trust me. :)

Reactions: