• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

Today is Tuesday and that means it’s time for another fascinating Developer Diary. My name is Divine and I’ve been part of the Crusader Kings team since last autumn as a scripter and now I’m going to tell you about some of the events that we’ve been working on for the soon-to-be-released expansion, Horse Lords!

DD_silk.jpg

If you control a part of the Silk Road you can now build trade posts to make sure to get some of the riches that is traveling along the route. However, there might be more people who want a share of the wealth, so you’ll probably have to guard your treasure chests. There’s also a possibility to gain the help of a trade governor who might attract more traders and riches to your land... or his mishaps might prove to be more of a headache for you to cope with.

As mentioned in a previous dev diary, rulers on the Steppe can send out their sons and brothers to take up arms and become mercenaries. The life of a mercenary, though, is a harsh one and a lot of things can happen when you’re out adventuring in a foreign court; so we’ve added some events about various things that can occur for the captain of such a created mercenary band.

DD_mercenary.jpg

For instance, the Mercenary Captain, being on the field fighting for a living, has a chance to improve his military education trait to one of the stronger ones. These mercenaries also get a few events to interact with their employer or the ruler of the province they are hanging out in. One of these events is for instance eloping with a person of the employer’s court. It can be a daughter, son or a skilled courtier.

Since the Mercenary Captain is earning his keep from being hired he also gets some choices on what to spend it on. For example, improving his Band of Mercenaries or spend it all on women and vice.

DD_horse.jpg

A ruler of the Steppe was not much of a ruler unless his clan had a thriving herd of livestock to support them. Thus, it is only natural that we needed to have some events about horses! If you’re living on the Steppes as a nomad, you can now adopt a favorite war horse. There are some events associated with having a horse and what you do together with it - both ordinary and unusual happenings.

So that’s a little sneak peek of the things that can happen on the wide Steppes and everything I had to say for today. I hope you are all hyped for the upcoming expansion that is now just a week away!

Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.

2vT0d60.jpg

He wears the gwanbok of Qing dynasty and braid ( pigtail ), like Manchu people! It is impossible for Chinese envoy to wear this in 769~1453 ( Tang dynasty ~ Ming dynasty )!
HE RUNS TO THE WRONG GAME,THIS IS Crusader Kings II , NOT Victoria 2 !!!

Pigtail aside, wasn't the Gwanbok already in use in some form by the Tang?

Reactions:
From what i've seen, players cannot become mercenaries right? That's a shame, that feature would surely inspire many great AARs

Reactions:
Can we now write targeted decisions which will target counties? I asked last week and got no answer.

Reactions:
2vT0d60.jpg

He wears the gwanbok of Qing dynasty and braid ( pigtail ), like Manchu people! It is impossible for Chinese envoy to wear this in 769~1453 ( Tang dynasty ~ Ming dynasty )!
You just forget Hsia or Kithan or Jurchen, they are also CHINESE. Though none of them are of HAN culture.

Reactions:
From what i've seen, players cannot become mercenaries right? That's a shame, that feature would surely inspire many great AARs

Yeah, if they have given mercenaries a "warband" holding like the landless republicans have the family palace they could have perhaps been made playable. As long as you were not playing ironman they could have set up a tab on the singlplayer country selection screen designated "mercenaries" much like the replublics have now and allowed for some great AAR storytelling.

It would also have been a bit of fun to upgrade your warband based on prestige much like tribal holdings

Reactions:
Nomads clans can seize single counties off each other internally if they are feuding. They also have a duchy level subjugation CB against external realms (costs 300 Prestige), normal county conquest, subjugation (much like tribal subjugation) against non-nomads. Oh and the most powerful of all is a type of invasion CB that requires the Nomad Clan to be approaching overpopulation.
So you're saying that tribal subjugation is still in the game? Why? It doesn't work at all it makes sure that every kingdom that can be founded is founded almost as soon as the game starts. Sometime even empires.

Yes they become lovers, flee from your realm and you become rival with the mercenary captain (meaning you can't hire him anymore to get him back to your realm) and your daughter/son should stay in the court of the mercenary.

It also means if you are the mercenary captain's father that you might get a son come home with exotic girlfriends from all around the world.
Shouldn't the opposite be true too you might not see them come home at all because they stayed with their loved ones in some far away country?

Reactions:
The horse name dragon makes me want to play earlier, the sarmatians had lots of dragon symbolism.

Yeah, if they have given mercenaries a "warband" holding like the landless republicans have the family palace they could have perhaps been made playable. As long as you were not playing ironman they could have set up a tab on the singlplayer country selection screen designated "mercenaries" much like the replublics have now and allowed for some great AAR storytelling.

It would also have been a bit of fun to upgrade your warband based on prestige much like tribal holdings
Could be possible to awkwardly mod this in with temporary titles and a new government type perhaps.

Reactions:
I have a question: The country shield that appears in the images are for all the nomadic peoples or just only for tengri?

Some of those guys are probably Manichean, not Tengri.

In earlier dev diaries they did show Manichaean hordes. They also said that hordes are more relaxed about religion so they can be comprisedof clans with different religions

Reactions:
Nomads clans can seize single counties off each other internally if they are feuding. They also have a duchy level subjugation CB against external realms (costs 300 Prestige), normal county conquest, subjugation (much like tribal subjugation) against non-nomads. Oh and the most powerful of all is a type of invasion CB that requires the Nomad Clan to be approaching overpopulation.

What are the requirements for the Make Tributary CB?

In earlier dev diaries they did show Manichaean hordes. They also said that hordes are more relaxed about religion so they can be comprisedof clans with different religions

Uffff... I was scared, because in the previous DevDiaries the Khazars in 1066 caught my attention when I saw that theyr shield was no longer Jewish.

I'm not sure on this, but did they say the shields were also linked to gov type now or did I understand wrong?

2vT0d60.jpg

Are you really surprised?

In the HL trailer the nomads have a hair knot like in Chinese hanfu style, whereas this guy is supposedly Chinese buy wears a conical hat and a pigtail. Let the rage begin.

I think I like this version better:

CI93AP-UYAES-A7.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: