• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

Today is Tuesday and that means it’s time for another fascinating Developer Diary. My name is Divine and I’ve been part of the Crusader Kings team since last autumn as a scripter and now I’m going to tell you about some of the events that we’ve been working on for the soon-to-be-released expansion, Horse Lords!

DD_silk.jpg

If you control a part of the Silk Road you can now build trade posts to make sure to get some of the riches that is traveling along the route. However, there might be more people who want a share of the wealth, so you’ll probably have to guard your treasure chests. There’s also a possibility to gain the help of a trade governor who might attract more traders and riches to your land... or his mishaps might prove to be more of a headache for you to cope with.

As mentioned in a previous dev diary, rulers on the Steppe can send out their sons and brothers to take up arms and become mercenaries. The life of a mercenary, though, is a harsh one and a lot of things can happen when you’re out adventuring in a foreign court; so we’ve added some events about various things that can occur for the captain of such a created mercenary band.

DD_mercenary.jpg

For instance, the Mercenary Captain, being on the field fighting for a living, has a chance to improve his military education trait to one of the stronger ones. These mercenaries also get a few events to interact with their employer or the ruler of the province they are hanging out in. One of these events is for instance eloping with a person of the employer’s court. It can be a daughter, son or a skilled courtier.

Since the Mercenary Captain is earning his keep from being hired he also gets some choices on what to spend it on. For example, improving his Band of Mercenaries or spend it all on women and vice.

DD_horse.jpg

A ruler of the Steppe was not much of a ruler unless his clan had a thriving herd of livestock to support them. Thus, it is only natural that we needed to have some events about horses! If you’re living on the Steppes as a nomad, you can now adopt a favorite war horse. There are some events associated with having a horse and what you do together with it - both ordinary and unusual happenings.

So that’s a little sneak peek of the things that can happen on the wide Steppes and everything I had to say for today. I hope you are all hyped for the upcoming expansion that is now just a week away!

Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.

The mercenary elopers sound dangerously like seduction focus. I sincerely hope married or landed people are less prone to eloping.
I mean they aren't going to randomly elope you at least have to hire one of the dynamic mercenaries first right? So you have control over if it will happen or not

There are some events associated with having a horse and what you do together with it - both ordinary and unusual happenings.
Can we take the 'Catherine the Great' option with our horses?

Reactions:
Since some hordes will be Buddhist, will their events reflect they are NOT Indian Buddhist, but Pure Land school of Buddhism?
And will their (randomly generated members) members get caste traits, or will that oversight be prevented?
Also, will something be done to make them not have Indian coat of arms, but something more appropriate for the steppe, like semi-random Chinese writing characters?

For that number of reasons, I wonder if steppe Buddhism shouldn't be separate religion from Indian Buddhism...

Reactions:
Will my married daughters run off with mercenaries, or just single courtiers? It would be kind of lame if I manage to get a great matri-marriage for a daughter of mine and she goes off and elopes, despite being happily married.

Reactions:
Since some hordes will be Buddhist, will their events reflect they are NOT Indian Buddhist, but Pure Land school of Buddhism?
And will their (randomly generated members) members get caste traits, or will that oversight be prevented?
Also, will something be done to make them not have Indian coat of arms, but something more appropriate for the steppe, like semi-random Chinese writing characters?

For that number of reasons, I wonder if steppe Buddhism shouldn't be separate religion from Indian Buddhism...

They said the added a "region" system to CK2 precisely for tying some events to regions instead of religions. The timing of this feature makes think think they were specifically thinking on Buddhism.

Reactions:
Will my married daughters run off with mercenaries, or just single courtiers? It would be kind of lame if I manage to get a great matri-marriage for a daughter of mine and she goes off and elopes, despite being happily married.
I doubt that this will be able to force divorces more or less although that would be historical, although again if you don't want this to happen don't hire mercenary nomads

Reactions:
They said the added a "region" system to CK2 precisely for tying some events to regions instead of religions. The timing of this feature makes think think they were specifically thinking on Buddhism.
He's referring to stuff such as the CoA. As of right now, Buddhism forces an Indian coat of arms on you.

Reactions:
2vT0d60.jpg

He wears the gwanbok of Qing dynasty and braid ( pigtail ), like Manchu people! It is impossible for Chinese envoy to wear this in 769~1453 ( Tang dynasty ~ Ming dynasty )!
HE RUNS TO THE WRONG GAME,THIS IS Crusader Kings II , NOT Victoria 2 !!!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Dynamic mercs will be only from the steppes? Aren't we going to have too much merc companies?