• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

Today is Tuesday and that means it’s time for another fascinating Developer Diary. My name is Divine and I’ve been part of the Crusader Kings team since last autumn as a scripter and now I’m going to tell you about some of the events that we’ve been working on for the soon-to-be-released expansion, Horse Lords!

DD_silk.jpg

If you control a part of the Silk Road you can now build trade posts to make sure to get some of the riches that is traveling along the route. However, there might be more people who want a share of the wealth, so you’ll probably have to guard your treasure chests. There’s also a possibility to gain the help of a trade governor who might attract more traders and riches to your land... or his mishaps might prove to be more of a headache for you to cope with.

As mentioned in a previous dev diary, rulers on the Steppe can send out their sons and brothers to take up arms and become mercenaries. The life of a mercenary, though, is a harsh one and a lot of things can happen when you’re out adventuring in a foreign court; so we’ve added some events about various things that can occur for the captain of such a created mercenary band.

DD_mercenary.jpg

For instance, the Mercenary Captain, being on the field fighting for a living, has a chance to improve his military education trait to one of the stronger ones. These mercenaries also get a few events to interact with their employer or the ruler of the province they are hanging out in. One of these events is for instance eloping with a person of the employer’s court. It can be a daughter, son or a skilled courtier.

Since the Mercenary Captain is earning his keep from being hired he also gets some choices on what to spend it on. For example, improving his Band of Mercenaries or spend it all on women and vice.

DD_horse.jpg

A ruler of the Steppe was not much of a ruler unless his clan had a thriving herd of livestock to support them. Thus, it is only natural that we needed to have some events about horses! If you’re living on the Steppes as a nomad, you can now adopt a favorite war horse. There are some events associated with having a horse and what you do together with it - both ordinary and unusual happenings.

So that’s a little sneak peek of the things that can happen on the wide Steppes and everything I had to say for today. I hope you are all hyped for the upcoming expansion that is now just a week away!

Oh! And I might actually have heard legends about certain altaic families behaving in odd ways lately… with hideous faces and beast-like behavior.

I hope you guys add Manicheaism as an actual religion of its own, rather than being a Zoroastrian heresy. No one like being a heresy, and both Manicheaism is an entirely different religion in its own right. This normally wouldn't bother me but it seems there are going to be a lot more Manichean characters with the new expansion.

Reactions:
Hmm, adding Asia hasn't been discussed at all on these boards nor are there any (related or otherwise) threads concerning this topic. Let's make sure to mention it in every thread from now on regardless of topic so that Pdox gets the message.

Yours truly, Dirt McStain

Reactions:
Hmm, adding Asia hasn't been discussed at all on these boards nor are there any (related or otherwise) threads concerning this topic. Let's make sure to mention it in every thread from now on regardless of topic so that Pdox gets the message.

Yours truly, Dirt McStain
Well it's kind of hard to talk about the steppes of central asia without talking about asia.

The entirety of Asia is, and always has been, part of the CK2 map.
The historical Roman province of Asia, that is.

Reactions:
Ah but then so has the entirity of africa.

Ah but then so has the entirity of africa.
And thus, the War was ended. No longer there was any need to add any new provinces because all of Asia and Africa was already there. New generations of paradoxians will never know the horrors of yet another China thread. the terrors of long, two sided discussion that lead nowhere. endless streams of quotes and misquotes, likes and dislikes. From now on all people will live in peace and harmony.
jG7INUp.jpg

Reactions:
We're going to keep getting weekly dev diaries, right? That's what I read on Dev diary #1.

Next expansion pack: Crusader Kings: Greenland. Adds one province, "Greenland" and the event chain "Penguins Don't Live In Greenland" describing how your brave explorers find no penguins, and describe the strange creatures they have not found. You can spend no money to not research the creatures you have not found, and if you do so, you gain no research in any field. If you choose not to spend no money to not research the creatures you have not found, the church condemns you.

There is a 1% chance that Penguins do live in Greenland, and they launch an invasion of Europe, and in addition to massive hordes of short, fat tuxedo birds overwhelming your armies, they deplete all fishing, causing starvation in all coastal provinces.

Reactions:
Penguins? Where da hek is my Jan Mayen! Priorities!

We're going to keep getting weekly dev diaries, right? That's what I read on Dev diary #1.

Next expansion pack: Crusader Kings: Greenland. Adds one province, "Greenland" and the event chain "Penguins Don't Live In Greenland" describing how your brave explorers find no penguins, and describe the strange creatures they have not found. You can spend no money to not research the creatures you have not found, and if you do so, you gain no research in any field. If you choose not to spend no money to not research the creatures you have not found, the church condemns you.

There is a 1% chance that Penguins do live in Greenland, and they launch an invasion of Europe, and in addition to massive hordes of short, fat tuxedo birds overwhelming your armies, they deplete all fishing, causing starvation in all coastal provinces.

Sounds more realistic than some of the histories my games have spun out in years past.