• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear fellow Japanese for the last time,
I can't stand this devilish country anymore. I am fleeing with my family tto the Portuguese colony of Macau in China.
- Sincerely, a new man.

((Good God man! He's just proposing a law, not enacting one! We still need to wait on Naxhi to say that such a law can be voted upon.))

I wonder to the necessity of such "visas". Documents like this are used to regulate those who travel into and out of the country. 長崎 Nagasaski, as the honourable lord should know, is part of our glorious nation and I see no need in requiring those visas to access it.

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

Ah, but it is the one place that we allow the 南蛮 nanban to trade with our people; thus it is the port from which all the ideas of 共和主義 Kyōwashugi will spread. Thus by monitoring the access to this port we will far easier be able to catch any criminals who try to spread 共和主義 Kyōwashugi by more discrete manners then Seita has.

~ Yoshito; Elder Fureno, Lord Shizuoka

*Thus satisfied that he had done his duty to the Emperor Yoshito left the court to rest for the night.*

Ah, but it is the one place that we allow the 南蛮 nanban to trade with our people; thus it is the port from which all the ideas of 共和主義 Kyōwashugi will spread. Thus by monitoring the access to this port we will far easier be able to catch any criminals who try to spread 共和主義 Kyōwashugi by more discrete manners then Seita has.

Technically, Japan does not allow the Nanban to trade or visit anywhere or any place in Japan apart from the island of Dejima - which is a place in but not the entirety of Nagasaki - without the express permission from the Emperor or the Shogun, which is almost never considered, let alone granted. This has been law for around 200 years now. The Japanese who interact with Nanban at Dejima are already vetted and their movements strictly regulated. What you are proposing is requiring ordinary Japanese subjects to require special permission from the Emperor to visit a city in their own country which for the most part, has no contact with foreigners whatever. It is an awful piece of legislation, quite possibly the worst I have ever seen.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu.

I return after a little while, expecting constructive discussion on the future of Nihon, and I find this...heretical speak of disposing the Emperor himself?! As many have already said, the Emperor is a god and must be respected. However, others have said that this "god" has not done anything to better the lives of the Nihon-jin and state that this is justification for overthrowing him. May I remind all of you who say this that if this were the case, another member of his family would merely replace him, and nothing would change--except, perhaps, that you may be executed for treason. No, the emperor is not inherently ineffective. He was made that way by the Shogunate. With all due respect, the Shogun is a wise ruler, but he has taken away all of the Emperor's deserved powers, leaving him in no position to do anything. The Shogun is a military ruler as well. Does he care about the peasants?

Last edited:
First, I have to say that I'm not Seita lackery. I agree with his ideals, and I think he's doing right, but I'm fighting in my own porpouses. Execute him if you want to. I'll continue with my fighting. Execute me if you want. Someone will continue with my fighting. You don't know what is right for Japan. Perhaps I don't know it either. But I think, and will always think that the 共和主義 Kyōwashugi is the right path.

First, I have to say that I'm not Seita lackery. I agree with his ideals, and I think he's doing right, but I'm fighting in my own porpouses. Execute him if you want to. I'll continue with my fighting. Execute me if you want. Someone will continue with my fighting. You don't know what is right for Japan. Perhaps I don't know it either. But I think, and will always think that the 共和主義 Kyōwashugi is the right path.

An open republican and an atheist prepared to die for such beliefs... I do not know whether you're either a very courageous samurai or a very foolish one, perhaps you are both...

I return after a little while, expecting constructive discussion on the future of Nihon, and I find this...heretical speak of disposing the Emperor himself?! As many have already said, the Emperor is a god and must be respected. However, others have said that this "god" has not done anything to better the lives of the Nihon-jin and state that this is justification for overthrowing him. May I remind all of you who say this that if this were the case, another member of his family would merely replace him, and nothing would change--except, perhaps, that you may be executed for treason. No, the emperor is not inherently ineffective. He was made that way by the Shogunate. With all due respect, the Shogun is a wise ruler, but he has taken away all of the Emperor's deserved powers, leaving him in no position to do anything. The Shogun is a military ruler as well. Does he care about the peasants?
((Will finish later))

That's my entire point. The Empeor must be respected as a spiritual figure. He's a god in that path, and as one daimyo pointed out, he's the pilar of Japan culture, tradition and society. But he's also our supposed leader, but has no true political power. The Shogun decides everything in this country. I believe we should do a separation between spiritual deals and political affairs. We don't neccesary have to dispose him. We can adapt to a... how do they call it?... constitucional monarchy. That way the Empeoror will stay, be the pilar of Japanese identity, but our ruler will be elected by our people, and we'll modernize and open ourselves to the world.

An open republican and an atheist prepared to die for such beliefs... I do not know whether you're either a very courageous samurai or a very foolish one, perhaps you are both...

I'm both, as you pointed out. I want to see a better Japan, even it that means losing my life.

It is absurd to claim that every single Japanese that interacts with a nanban is a suspect of plotting against His Imperial Majesty.

I do present this law as an alternative:

Law of Cultural and Imperial Conservation
記事一 Article One : I. Japanese is the only official language of Japan and its holdings.

----------------------------II. Any persons who resides in Japan for more than 3 months should be fluent in Japanese.

----------------------------III. The 日本語の協会 Association of the Japanese Language should be created to deal with dilemmas regarding the language.

記事二 Article Two : I. His Imperial Majesty the Emperor of Japan is a divine embodiment and the spiritual unifier of Japan.

----------------------------II. Denying Article Two (I.) is a crime considered treason.

----------------------------III. Plotting our encouraging the ousting of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor of Japan is considered high treason and is punishable by death.

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

Last edited:
Reactions:
That's my entire point. The Empeor must be respected as a spiritual figure. He's a god in that path, and as one daimyo pointed out, he's the pilar of Japan culture, tradition and society. But he's also our supposed leader, but has no true political power. The Shogun decides everything in this country. I believe we should do a separation between spiritual deals and political affairs. We don't neccesary have to dispose him. We can adapt to a... how do they call it?... constitucional monarchy. That way the Empeoror will stay, be the pilar of Japanese identity, but our ruler will be elected by our people, and we'll modernize and open ourselves to the world..

((That's basically what Japan has now, except that the Shogun is an unelected dictator, of course. If your view is that we should elect the Shogun, or replace him with a Prime Minister or equivalent, then you can't truly be called a supporter or an advocate of Kyowashugi (Republicanism) - you're a sympathiser at best.))

Peasants should not "vote", for they do not know anything of ruling and should focus on growing their crops. It is up to the daimyo, Shogun, and Emperor to decide Nippon's course.

-Matusi

Well, all of those "peasants" have lives, and are not simply toys you dispose of at an instance.

Japan is a mighty nation, but with a horrible system of government and terrible policies, we will get nowhere. I also declare myself a ronin, as I refuse to bend my knee to any daimyo of Japan.

((Private: EB/Lord Nishimura))

Lord Nishimura,

I fear that I cannot support your proposed "Law of Cultural and Imperial Conservation" on the grounds that I fear no Nanban will be able to come to grips with the beauty and complexity of the Japanese tongue given three years of full-time study and immersion, let alone three months. Furthermore, the second clause of the first article of your proposed law may have some adverse consequences to some of the Emperor's native Japanese subjects. Say for instance, that your proposed Association of the Japanese Language announces that the Edo dialect is to be the "official language" of Japan: if an old man from Kyushu, who has worked in his fields all his life and understands nothing but the Kyushu dialect, were to be heard speaking the Kyushu dialect, then he technically could be deported from the only home he has ever known on the grounds that he does not understand "Japanese." Such an occurrence would be monstrous, of that there is no doubt.

I strongly recommend that Clause II of Article One of your proposed law be removed, or at least significantly modified, to avoid such unfortunate circumstances occurring should your otherwise meritous proposal become law.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

Japan is a mighty nation, but with a horrible system of government and terrible policies, we will get nowhere.
You're right at this point, my friend; but you have to think that our system of government is not a prerogative right now. We have to work about being a modern nation, then we will create a democratic system of government (I don't say I want to remove the Emperor, I really like our Emperor).

--- Takeshi Ohba, Daimyo of Yamagata

Maybe, when we inevitably reform our government to survive against possible gaijin incursions, the Emperor could appoint a Shogun as solely a military leader, while other members of the imperial government manage domestic affairs, and the emperor makes all of the important state and spiritual decisions. But as for talk of this "constitutional monarchy" as practiced in the gaijin kingdom of イギリス (Igirisu), I would have to digress slightly. Think about it...peasants and women choosing who is most popular amongst them to do what the Shogun did in the past? Even if we limit the vote to the samurai, or the daimyo, I am not sure if it will work out. It seems awfully close to Kyowashugi.
Just as you have heard of イギリス and of アメリカ (Amerika), I have heard of another of these nations the gaijin refer to as "Great Powers,"
プロイセン (Puroisen), where they have a militaristic society similar to our own. Perhaps if we learn from them we can elevate ourselves into equal standing with the gaijin while also saving our culture and civilization, and not do such silly and treasonous activities as overthrowing the emperor.

((private: Nishimura Hiroshi))

I do believe that you have found an alternative to the second article of my proposal. Thus I am willing to withdraw said article from my proposal under the grounds that a suitable replacing proposal has been put forth. I will support your proposal under the conditions that you in return support my own.

((private: Nishimura Hiroshi))

I do believe that you have found an alternative to the second article of my proposal. Thus I am willing to withdraw said article from my proposal under the grounds that a suitable replacing proposal has been put forth. I will support your proposal under the conditions that you in return support my own.

((So just to clarify: you are advocating the replacement of article 3&4 of your proposal with EB's proposal?))

Maybe, when we inevitably reform our government to survive against possible gaijin incursions, the Emperor could appoint a Shogun as solely a military leader, while other members of the imperial government manage domestic affairs, and the emperor makes all of the important state and spiritual decisions. But as for talk of this "constitutional monarchy" as practiced in the gaijin kingdom of イギリス (Igirisu), I would have to digress slightly. Think about it...peasants and women choosing who is most popular amongst them to do what the Shogun did in the past? Even if we limit the vote to the samurai, or the daimyo, I am not sure if it will work out. It seems awfully close to Kyowashugi.
Just as you have heard of イギリス and of アメリカ (Amerika), I have heard of another of these nations the gaijin refer to as "Great Powers,"
プロイセン (Puroisen), where they have a militaristic society similar to our own. Perhaps if we learn from them we can elevate ourselves into equal standing with the gaijin while also saving our culture and civilization, and not do such silly and treasonous activities as overthrowing the emperor.

Truly you know far more of the 南蛮 nanban then I do. This プロイセン you speak of may hold the key to the compromise that we need between 伝統的な dento-tekina and モダン modan ideologies. All must recognise that the Emperor is little more then a 人形 ningyo (puppet) of the 将軍 Shogun; here much change is indeed needed. The title of 将軍 Shogun should no longer be hereditary and instead be appointed by the Emperor or elected by his 大名 Daimyo. I believe that the powers of the Rōjū should be increased if the 幕府 Bakafu became an office appointed by the Emperor. All this however is far in the future and for now we must accept the rule of the 将軍 Shogun.

Reactions:
((So just to clarify: you are advocating the replacement of article 3&4 of your proposal with EB's proposal?))

((woops; just Article 3; as I do not believe that his proposal covers the full extent of Article 4 rather I would remove Clause A of Article 4.))