“El Dorado” Expansion for Europa Universalis IV Lets You Go For Gold

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I'm worried about is that one of the mechanics they wanted to show on the stream was ONLY for the Aztecs. What if the Aztecs aren't the dominant nation in Mesoamerica? What if the Aztecs don't exist at all?
I'm guessing he wanted to show the Doomsday clock thingy, which appears to be a Nahuatl mechanic, not just Aztecs (though they seem to be the only notable ones).

I'm guessing he wanted to show the Doomsday clock thingy, which appears to be a Nahuatl mechanic, not just Aztecs (though they seem to be the only notable ones).

They apparently are the only Nahuatl nation, which amounts to pretty much the same thing as Aztec-only mechanics.

Very much mistaken. Reformed was actually nerfed in Vanilla when WoN came out.

Eeeyup.

South America is by no means useless and unimportant

compared to asia and taking into account that america already got an dlc, it seems not very balanced decision to me to give this rather poor land more attention than asia with its importance in that time frame. just wanted to say i think a dlc for more in deep game play, so you can actually achieve anything by not only expand would be nice. this game is all about map painting, but it could be so much more without too much effort.

- A deep Nation Designer gives you new starting options for your games, including national ideas and custom monarchs
Ok... doesn't this kind of defeat the general point of the game- to forge an alternate history from a historical starting point? I don't know whether Paradox is out of ideas or what, but this seems like a strange addition.
- Experience the new Nahuatl, Inti and Mayan religions with blood sacrifices or Sun Worship
That's cool I guess.
- Send your conquistadors to hunt for the Seven Cities of Gold, or your explorer on exploration missions around the world
This is sort of ambiguous, but I'm taking it to mean either little treasure "quests" for flavor or some kind of automation for conquistadors and explorers for convenience.
- Gold Fleets can traffic New World wealth back to Europe, and be targeted by your privateer fleets
Treasure fleets, got it.
- Use your trade fleets to hunt dangerous pirates
Alright, more naval stuff.
- Maintain good relations with the Pope so you can get a corner of the world to call your own in the Treaty of Tordesillas
Well, this could be interesting... but then again knowing Paradox it could also implemented in a way that feels very arbitrary and rigid.

Eh, it still feels a bit shallow and anemic, similar to many of the previous DLC's. In fact, the whole post-launch campaign for this game has seemed rather haphazard and undirected, and certainly the patching has been notoriously schizophrenic. I still can't for the life of me figure out why Paradox would release a rushed, subpar version of random terrain generation (which primarily adds replay value) as the first DLC for a game like EU4. Oh well... another few months, another paycheck I suppose.

So the Treaty of Tordesillas event would go like this:

A nation has to make a case to the Pope so they can receive X region in the new world, while another nation that colonizes that region will receive negative relations from other colonial nations and the pope plus a free CB and cheap province takeover against them? Also the region one would make a case for would probably have to be visible to the nation that wants the place.

They apparently are the only Nahuatl nation, which amounts to pretty much the same thing as Aztec-only mechanics.
In the stream Tarascan was as well. However, I share your concern that there's going to be a bunch of mechanics for one country there that won't apply to anyone else. From how A_Spec spoke about it, he seemed under the impression that what he wanted to show had to be done with Aztec.

Of course, that's one small area of the world, and while it's fun to play a game there on occasion, it at least won't impact much of the rest of the game. If I was trying to be optimistic, I would say that a DLC focused on an area that gets limited gameplay could open the door to a lot of "cleanup" style changes elsewhere for the little things that people have been wanting to see for a long time. A_Spec did hint at the fact that some of those things exist and mentioned the Nation Designer as one of them.

Features include:

- A deep Nation Designer gives you new starting options for your games, including national ideas and custom monarchs

this is to much fantasy in this kind of game in my taste. you allready have enough options to customize your country over time, which is the hole point of this game in my view.

Features include:

this is to much fantasy in this kind of game in my taste. you allready have enough options to customize your country over time, which is the hole point of this game in my view.

I can honestly see me liking this - UNIs magically project in the future things that might or might not happen, like Brandenburg being a military power or Castile colonizing. Being able to have a plan at game start and actually follow it through, instead of having OTL dictate absurdities that never happened ITTL, will be refreshing.

Features include:

A designer can be fun, don't complain so much.
Nobody asks you to use it if you dislike it.

I can honestly see me liking this - UNIs magically project in the future things that might or might not happen, like Brandenburg being a military power or Castile colonizing. Being able to have a plan at game start and actually follow it through, instead of having OTL dictate absurdities that never happened ITTL, will be refreshing.

This could be fun for multiplayer as well if it's sort of balanced.