• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please define how I own a game I have to hook up to a server to download? Yes. I have some hundred megabytes in cyberspace reserved for me. But I can't hold it in my hands. It's not physical. A box-set shows that whatever happens with internet off and computer on, I can still install the game over and over again.

Why would you install over and over again?

Last edited:

Strawman.

I've already said what I want to say. If you want to rely on the internet with your games, well go ahead. I prefer a physical copy next to me.

I can think of several reasons why. If you think one minute about it, you'll get them too.

I think it's legitimate we would want a physical cd with the game if we paid for it.

On the other hand, if what Jayavarman is true (not questioning it) we could always make ourselves a cd with the game inside.

Not always a question of "want", rather "must", if you think of new computer, new OS, re-install of OS etc.

(edit: lol, you actually didn't write "want", well, take my post as kind of a 'preemptive strike' then) :D

Sure, it's not daily, but otoh not something that never happens.

Though some said simply burn the GG stuff on CD...I never tried that, does anyone know if it works so that you can rely purely on that CD afterwards, or do you still have to access GG with any new installation (even if you don't have to dl the main data anymore) for something?

Last edited:
Though some said simply burn the GG stuff on CD...I never tried that, does anyone know if it works so that you can rely purely on that CD afterwards, or do you still have to access GG with any new installation (even if you don't have to dl the main data anymore) for something?
Hear, hear.

Anyone knows?

MMMV - the internet doesn't get scratched or disappear during house parties.

...how is the chance that a physical cd tells you that its service is unavailable because of bankruptcy and you lost your property and have to rebuy it?

...but keep on relying on the almighty internet and that you have everywhere and every time access. :D

...how is the chance that a physical cd tells you that its service is unavailable because of bankruptcy and you lost your property and have to rebuy it?

...but keep on relying on the almighty internet and that you have everywhere and every time access. :D

If Paradox goes under (from all that unsold inventory of CDs;)) I'll take it as a sign that it is time to move on. Plus, from whom would I rebuy it anyways?

AFAIK it depends on the game
EUrome for example has a setup file within the temp folder GG creates (never tried using it though). The Vae Victis expansion however doesn't seem to. (unless I'm mistaken).
I think I'll have a poke round the files and see.:cool:

Edit.....
Rome - contains a autoplay file, that started the install (I cancelled it cos I have it installed already)
Vae Victus - Aparently not :(
C Kings and Deus vault - Apparently not :(
EU3 + Expansions - Apparently not :(
Victoria - Seems to work (I cancelled it cos I have it installed already)
Vicky revs - no :(
Sword of the stars - Apparently yes

Verdict -- Some will install without logging on to GG, Most won't :(:(

Last edited:
AFAIK it depends on the game
EUrome for example has a setup file within the temp folder GG creates (never tried using it though). The Vae Victis expansion however doesn't seem to. (unless I'm mistaken).
I think I'll have a poke round the files and see.:cool:

Edit.....
Rome - contains a autoplay file, that started the install (I cancelled it cos I have it installed already)
Vae Victus - Aparently not :(
C Kings and Deus vault - Apparently not :(
EU3 + Expansions - Apparently not :(
Victoria - Seems to work (I cancelled it cos I have it installed already)
Vicky revs - no :(
Sword of the stars - Apparently yes

Verdict -- Some will install without logging on to GG, Most won't :(:(

question is - What do you own for the money you paid out ???

question is - What do you own for the money you paid out ???
I own the right to install the game as many times as I like.:)
If GG ever goes under.........Bad news.
Till that dark day, I'm a very happy chappy.:rofl:

I am very happy to offload the duties of data-warehousing to GG.

I pretty much stopped using CDs/DVDs a few years ago and I don't feel the loss.

USB memory sticks help :)

I own the right to install the game as many times as I like.:)
If GG ever goes under.........Bad news.
Till that dark day, I'm a very happy chappy.:rofl:

being from the other side of the planet, i do not know how gamesgate works PLUS I do not want to encounter issues that happened originally when EU1 and EU2 came out , as the only way to play these game was via a company called Strategy First and not via Paradox. Granted , prior to EU3 these issues where rectified.
Now, how does GG operate and work , as downloading often will kill me.

being from the other side of the planet, i do not know how gamesgate works PLUS I do not want to encounter issues that happened originally when EU1 and EU2 came out , as the only way to play these game was via a company called Strategy First and not via Paradox. Granted , prior to EU3 these issues where rectified.
Now, how does GG operate and work , as downloading often will kill me.
its pretty simple
You download a Gamersgate installation file.
Double click it and enter your account name and password and it automatically downloads and installs the game.
When it finishes it asks what to do with the temp files, if you choose to keep them, the next time you install the game it will skip downloading the game and install straight from the temp files.
Once the game is installed you don't ever need to be connected to the internet to play.