• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Winter Teaser #3 - Cultural Traditions

Hello and welcome to another winter teaser :)

In this short teaser today I bring you more cultural traditions as well as previews of some cultures we haven’t shown you before.

Chanson De Geste
Image of the Chanson de Geste Cultural Tradition
In some cases cultural traditions are regional variants on more generically available one. Instead of the more widely available Martial Admiration tradition that we’ve shown previously the cultures that have a Frankish heritage will have access to the Chanson de Geste tradition. This both grants access to the Valets innovation when the Late Medieval era comes around and highlights the role of troubadours in the French region.

Performative Honor
Performative Honor Cultural Tradition
For those that have Flavor Pack 1 the Shield Maiden related content is now connected to a new cultural tradition called Performative Honor, which is available for cultures of the North Germanic Heritage.

Persian Culture
Image of the Philosopher Culture tradition

One of the traditions of Persian culture highlights the prevalence of philosophical thought among its members, another gives access to a royal gardener court position. :)

Butr Culture
Image of the Butr Culture and traditions

Cultures with a Berber heritage and a presence in desert or dry lands will have access to the Desert Ribats tradition, which unlocks the Mulathamun Man at arms type among other things.

Catalan Culture
Image of the Catalan Culture and traditions
Maritime Mercantilism is a tradition that makes coastal holdings more useful to a culture, as seen here in the lineup of Catalan Traditions.

Cisalpine Culture
Image of Cisalpine Culture and Traditions
Any culture that has the Roman culture somewhere in its ancestry can adopt the Republican Legacy tradition which is a special version of the more generally available Parochialism cultural tradition. This highlights the special Republican heritage in the italic sphere and will let you create a number of Republican vassals out of your counts who will become overseers, or Podestàs.

Mongol Culture
Mongol Culture and traditions
The Steppe Tolerance tradition highlights that for some cultures what your subjects believe was not as important as it was for others…

And that was all for this short winter teaser. These are some of my personal favorite traditions in the update, I hope you found them as interesting as I do! :)

• 129Like
  • 45Love
Reactions:
The traditions look cool, thanks!

It says French recently diverged from Frankish in 862. Does that prevent players from diverging/merging this culture for ~50 years?

Reactions:
This is SO good! Can we please get a sneak peek at the Carantanian traditions?

• 3Like
Reactions:
These look great — full of flavour and adding replayability as we play characters of different cultures. And the game's design means the AI should naturally make use of almost all the new variations.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm a bit confused about Republican Legacy saying "you can appoint up to 4 of your Counts...turning them into Republican Vassals" when currently you can simply raise a Republican Baron by granting him the County Title

Does that mean we will have a limit on Republican Vassals in 1.5? @Trin Tragula

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm... A question about the new culture system I have is how cultural events will be handled. Will new cultures be devoid of those or will they be based on heritage, language and the like?

Reactions:
Hmm... A question about the new culture system I have is how cultural events will be handled. Will new cultures be devoid of those or will they be based on heritage, language and the like?
I doubt there would be any language-specific events, and if there would be any cultural events at all, binding them to Traditions make the most sense because those can be met in different custom cultures across the world
--
So people think there will be events for specific languages? Lmao, good luck with that

Last edited:
Reactions:
This bit make so little sense. Why I am as a viking in Sicily can go duel some adulterer-ruler in Scandinavia?? Why is this a feature? If I'm not their liege and have the same rank, have no relation to the victim, why would I be the judge of them?

1640095442191.png

• 11Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I like the idea of giving some cultures a special version of a generally available tradition in order to make them more unique.

One thing I wonder about though: Now that making republic vassals is kind of a supported playstyle, will be be able to marry characters who hold republics? Especially if they are powerful vassals?

• 2Like
Reactions:
1640095809961.png

How would this interact with those counts' inheritance, wouldn't that break it if you could just turn any count into republic?

Also, it is just me or "promoting republican vassals" is counter-intuitive to penalties "republic vassal opinion -20" and "city holdings lower control gain", because low control isn't just "level of autonomy", it's a straight up bad thing, which gives you less taxes

• 3Like
Reactions:
"So here we have French traditions:
1) Chivalry
2) Chivalry but in red"

The French got so invested in Chivalry they adopted it twice, after 're-imagining it more French', of course.

• 32Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Finally an in-game representation of the ties between Catalan and Occitan cultures.

Using "d'Oc" and "d'Oïl" as a name for the languages is a bit weird though. I'd drop the "d' " for both, and maybe keep "Occitan" as the name the language, since it literally means the same (lenga d'òc > occitan).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Finally an in-game representation of the ties between Catalan and Occitan cultures.

Using "d'Oc" and "d'Oïl" as a name for the languages is a bit weird though. I'd drop the "d' " for both, and maybe keep "Occitan" as the name the language, since it literally means the same (lenga d'òc > occitan).
I guess they don't want to have Occitan for both the Culture and Language. Still the "D'" is weird I agree.

If they do end up going for Occitan as the name though they should use Oïlitan too to keep up parity.

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
add Circassian culture at Caucasus region, please. The Caucasus has many cultures in addition to those represented in the game ( Chechens, Ingush and etc ). One of the most underrated and unexplored region in this game

• 9Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions: