• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Winter Teaser #3 - Cultural Traditions

Hello and welcome to another winter teaser :)

In this short teaser today I bring you more cultural traditions as well as previews of some cultures we haven’t shown you before.

Chanson De Geste
Image of the Chanson de Geste Cultural Tradition
In some cases cultural traditions are regional variants on more generically available one. Instead of the more widely available Martial Admiration tradition that we’ve shown previously the cultures that have a Frankish heritage will have access to the Chanson de Geste tradition. This both grants access to the Valets innovation when the Late Medieval era comes around and highlights the role of troubadours in the French region.

Performative Honor
Performative Honor Cultural Tradition
For those that have Flavor Pack 1 the Shield Maiden related content is now connected to a new cultural tradition called Performative Honor, which is available for cultures of the North Germanic Heritage.

Persian Culture
Image of the Philosopher Culture tradition

One of the traditions of Persian culture highlights the prevalence of philosophical thought among its members, another gives access to a royal gardener court position. :)

Butr Culture
Image of the Butr Culture and traditions

Cultures with a Berber heritage and a presence in desert or dry lands will have access to the Desert Ribats tradition, which unlocks the Mulathamun Man at arms type among other things.

Catalan Culture
Image of the Catalan Culture and traditions
Maritime Mercantilism is a tradition that makes coastal holdings more useful to a culture, as seen here in the lineup of Catalan Traditions.

Cisalpine Culture
Image of Cisalpine Culture and Traditions
Any culture that has the Roman culture somewhere in its ancestry can adopt the Republican Legacy tradition which is a special version of the more generally available Parochialism cultural tradition. This highlights the special Republican heritage in the italic sphere and will let you create a number of Republican vassals out of your counts who will become overseers, or Podestàs.

Mongol Culture
Mongol Culture and traditions
The Steppe Tolerance tradition highlights that for some cultures what your subjects believe was not as important as it was for others…

And that was all for this short winter teaser. These are some of my personal favorite traditions in the update, I hope you found them as interesting as I do! :)

• 129Like
  • 45Love
Reactions:
Finally an in-game representation of the ties between Catalan and Occitan cultures.

Using "d'Oc" and "d'Oïl" as a name for the languages is a bit weird though. I'd drop the "d' " for both, and maybe keep "Occitan" as the name the language, since it literally means the same (lenga d'òc > occitan).
I'm more confused by the vulgar part as the game doesn't have a literary counterpart.

• 3Like
Reactions:
These are great! Have you guys decided how many cultures will get these? Will this be moddable?

They look great, thanks for the DD.

Reactions:
Cisalpine Culture
View attachment 786109
Any culture that has the Roman culture somewhere in its ancestry can adopt the Republican Legacy tradition which is a special version of the more generally available Parochialism cultural tradition. This highlights the special Republican heritage in the italic sphere and will let you create a number of Republican vassals out of your counts who will become overseers, or Podestàs.
uh isnt this going to effectively just be carte blanche to game over other players whenever you want in multiplayer

are the ai going to land members of their own dynasty and immediately do this for no reason, effectively ensuring their own dynasty no longer inherits that title

like dont get me wrong its a neat idea but surely without expanding republics significantly its a disaster waiting to happen

Reactions:
uh isnt this going to effectively just be carte blanche to game over other players whenever you want in multiplayer

are the ai going to land members of their own dynasty and immediately do this for no reason, effectively ensuring their own dynasty no longer inherits that title

like dont get me wrong its a neat idea but surely without expanding republics significantly its a disaster waiting to happen
If you're a count under player-king in multiplayer he can probably game over you anytime he wants

The problem with AI doing this is more important though, I remember Byzantine emperors in CK2 shooting themselves in the foot by making their children city rulers

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Not if you have low crown authority. I think this is to simulate a sort of trial by combat for rulers in realms where there isn't enough authority to imprison criminals yet.
This feature is already in the game, it works as I described it, and it's not just inside your realm. They moved it into tradition instead of just-Norse

Reactions:
If you're a count under player-king in multiplayer he can probably game over you anytime he wants
probably isnt definitely. you do still have options in that situation, even if theyre limited. but even that aside, nothing here implies only kings can do this, player-counts under player-dukes are in a less dangerous position but now for some reason you can cast spell of you lose immediately literally whenever

also, like, whats to stop your ai liege doing this immediately after you start a game as a vassal count in italy? thats a problem in both single player and multiplayer. if there arent barriers against this, you straight up can no longer play vassal counts in that part of the world without some sort of plan for gaining independence as soon as humanly possible. taking any sort of time to build up your strength just gives the ai more chances to arbitrarily end your game, which you KNOW theyre going to do all the goddamn time just because they can

Reactions:
Yes, it says gain (hopefully it can't go into minus with enough cities), but that means you would have to put Marshals there any time anything happens to local control
Maybe, but I certainly don't bother with control outside of what I hold personally given how little you get from vassals to begin with. I am curious about how much more development, taxes and levies you get out of that tradition. I'm hoping its a decent amount because I feel like it is too easy to just completely ignore your vassals' contributions and just focus on building up your own domains.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe, but I certainly don't bother with control outside of what I hold personally given how little you get from vassals to begin with. I am curious about how much more development, taxes and levies you get out of that tradition. I'm hoping its a decent amount because I feel like it is too easy to just completely ignore your vassals' contributions and just focus on building up your own domains.
Considering that this gives you more taxes from cities, cheaper cities upgrade, and a big opinion penalty, at least traditions wants to make want you bother with control even if you don't hold it personally. Although how successful it would be we'll see after release

On one hand, that's true. On the other hand, that's exactly what happened in the region - power was continuously devolved to cities, until central authority for all intents and purposes shattered as the entire place crashed into a million pieces.

1640101554526.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This feature is already in the game, it works as I described it, and it's not just inside your realm. They moved it into tradition instead of just-Norse
Not everybody can duel. The wiki names three types of duel. Third one is the trial by combat and it's already only available to North Germanic characters. Seems like nothing is changing; this was already in the game. They just moved it to the new traditions system.

Edit: We're saying the same thing aren't we?

Not everybody can duel. The wiki names three types of duel. Third one is the trial by combat and it's already only available to North Germanic characters. Seems like nothing is changing; this was already in the game. They just moved it to the new traditions system.

Edit: We're saying the same thing aren't we?
I was talking about being able to fight outside of my realm. As I said, as a Norse ruler in Sicily I was able to duel Danish king because he cheated on his wife. So I just came across the Europe to him, beat the shit out of him and then go home

• 5Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions: