• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #34 - Canals & Monuments

16_9.jpg

Good evening and welcome to this week’s Victoria 3 development diary! Today’s topic is Canals & Monuments, unique buildings with special inputs, outputs, and effects.

The Vatican City is the seat of the Catholic Church and a great asset to the Papal States in Victoria 3. As Europe developed and industrialized, the power of religious authority in national politics declined steeply but never lost its relevance. Can you change the course of history and renew the temporal power of the Pope?
DD34 01.png

Monuments are unique buildings only available in specific states, each with its own 3D model on the map. They make use of some of the more interesting aspects of the production methods system; just as buildings can output Goods, they can also output both national and local modifiers, Capacities, and effects on the pops working there. The Vatican City for instance outputs the Influence capacity as well as greatly increasing the political strength of the Devout Interest Group. Meanwhile the White House adds a multiplier to your national Bureaucracy output as well as increasing the amount of political strength Pops gain from votes. Not all Monuments are present at the start date. Some, like the Eiffel Tower, must be constructed, and Monuments are significantly more costly and time-consuming to construct than standard buildings. Monuments are subsidized by government funding, so if you decide that a Monument is unaffordable or that you aren’t interested in its effects (for instance if you as communist Italy no longer want to Church to wield so much power) you can simply defund them. On release we intend to have eleven different Monuments in total.

The Panama Canal links the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Finally completed in 1914 after decades of planning and construction, ships no longer had to take the long and treacherous route around South America to travel between the East and West. Yes, we can see the trees and houses in the Canal - we’ll fix it!
DD34 02.png

Like Monuments, Canals are unique buildings with a special set of inputs and outputs. But the true allure of constructing a Canal is that it allows you to create new connections between sea nodes, allowing ships to travel through the isthmuses of Panama and Suez. This significantly reduces the Convoy costs for trading and supplying armies across vast ocean distances, as well as your vulnerability to unscrupulous rivals trying to disrupt your supply lines.

We use the Journal Entry system to track the progress of your canal survey. Behind the scenes a variable is increased every month until the goal is reached, which triggers the completion event. The Journal Entry also acts as a reminder that you are spending a lot of Bureaucracy on this project, and that it will eventually be made available again once the survey is complete.
DD34 03.png

Constructing a Canal is far from trivial. Before any work can begin, an extensive survey of the region needs to be conducted, costing a hefty chunk of Bureaucracy for the surveyor for around 3 years. Either the owner of the state or a Great Power with an Interest in the region can conduct a survey. Any number of countries can potentially conduct their own surveys and compete to build the Canal themselves.

We’ve made the conscious decision to avoid starting wars or Diplomatic Plays through scripted content wherever possible, instead offering incentives for the player to start their own Plays and encouraging the AI to pursue Journal Entry goals. In this case, the player has the option to either gain a Claim on Sinai or to improve relations with the owner country, helping you along your chosen path but not locking you into a particular course of action.
DD34 04.png

Once you’ve completed your survey, the path diverges depending on whether you own the appropriate land. If you already own either a Treaty Port or the whole state region you can simply begin constructing the canal, but if not you’ll need to find a way to acquire it, either through monetary or coercive means. A Decision becomes available allowing you to purchase a Treaty Port in the appropriate State Region in exchange for a series of very large weekly payments, assuming you can convince the local rulers to part with the port. You might however decide that you’d rather keep your money and start a Diplomatic Play for a Treaty Port or the entire State Region (the former will cost you a lot less Infamy), which might lead either to a peaceful concession to your demands or to war.

And that’s all for today! Next week I’ll be handing you over to one of our Content Designers to talk about Expeditions and Decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 172Like
  • 17Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
That's one that I think it should work that way, it was a symbol for a new life and many people sent letters back to their families in Europe talking about the big copper lady literally working as a beacon for the boats bringing immigrants.
People didn't move to America because they were enamored of the statue in New York Harbor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
that iron lady was symbol thanks to existing laws not the other way so yes she was symbol of new life but not because she was simply there
If you know anything about the history of ethnic discrimination and how immigrants were treated in the US, this is simply not true.

The Statue of Liberty was a symbol of immigration and the idea of a land of opportunity despite that not being true in practice, so yes, it did give a symbol of new life by being there.

The Statue of Liberty should give a migration bonus to whoever builds it. The caveat of course being that it, and a few other monuments like the Eiffel Tower, should not be limited to a specific location and should be buildable by anybody if certain prerequisites are met.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How will changing purposes around monuments be dealt with? The Vatican, per your example, boosts the devout interest group. But let's say communist Italy turns the Vatican into a museum - similar as historically happened during this time period with the Hagia Sophia, albeit barely (1935 still counts!). It would no longer make sense for the Vatican to boost the devout, but it would also make sense to get a benefit if you staff the building. How responsive are these modifiers to different circumstances?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Ah man. Did the other Paradox teams look at the CK2 monument system and say "No, that's way too much fun and allows too much freedom and variety! We will only allow historically railroadism when it comes to our monuments!"

Like, the CK2 monuments are fun with what you can do with them

Reactions:
A problem here is that the Capitol Building as we know it doesn't exist in 1836. Having it as the Mall allows it to be period agnostic while conferring bonuses through the whole game period.
If this is the aspect of DC they want to capture, I would argue for a state modifier (is DC its own state in Vic 3?) that makes government administration buildings cheaper/more efficient/easier to build/whatever. The benefits of a planned capital are found all around the infrastructure of the region and not just in one particular spot.

How responsive are these modifiers to different circumstances?
They're buildings, they can have Production Methods to change every aspect of their function. If they want to have a PM to switch the Vatican from religious services to art museum, that would be doable.

• 7Like
Reactions:
If this is the aspect of DC they want to capture, I would argue for a state modifier (is DC its own state in Vic 3?) that makes government administration buildings cheaper/more efficient/easier to build/whatever. The benefits of a planned capital are found all around the infrastructure of the region and not just in one particular spot.
I do think it is important to have *something* in DC as a monument, purely so you can burn it down. No fun going to war with USA if you can't repeat 1812.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I've been somewhere between cautiously optimistic and enthusiastic about every prior developer diary, but I can't imagine a monuments system working out well at all. Monuments in EU4 were a distinct step backwards in immersion and game balance - global bonuses attached to local assets are a recipe for power creep - and they fit Victoria 3's design ethos even less well.

Except for truly noteworthy local resources and infrastructure such as canals, the best thing the developers could do with monuments is delete them or else move their effects to countries' laws and governments.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not 100% on board with the mentioned bonuses, but some of the doom and gloom in this thread is a little excessive. Even if nothing changes there's 11 of these and depending on your goal the 'buffs' might not even actually be beneficial to you. I very much doubt the 11 moments are going to have such massive effects that you create your strategy around them.

With all that said, I hope Paradox takes a good look at what bonuses they do decide to go with and make them as appropriate as possible because I agree the White House bonuses do not seem to fit very well. Luckily, lachek has already said they will do just that.
There's 11 now, they probably plan to add more in DLC, it sets a terrible precedent.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Taking Vatican from the Pope brings bad luck.

Am I the only person who though of the type of canals for non ocean going ships?

I was expecting this developer diary to dicuss how the Uk canal network and others like it affect the local market access before the advent of the railways.
Are they abstracted into the local infrastructure of a state? (I have seen no mention of this).

My reason for interest is that canals and other transport on rivers was very important to early industrialisation as it allowed cheap movment of goods and comodities and where so importorant that Birmingham had more canals than Venice.

Any thoughts on wheather and how they should be represented in the game?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Canals are cool, but the Eiffel Tower is not a magical influence factory or whatever bonuses you're planning on giving it. That sort of design strikes me as a big step in the wrong direction.

• 1Like
Reactions:
People didn't move to America because they were enamored of the statue in New York Harbor.
Well, they did talk about how Lady Liberty was there to embrace the masses. So yes, it worked as a symbol and a powerful one at that. Now, if you want to discuss if the symbol actually matched the reality once arrived, that's another matter for another discussion.
People could have emigrated from Europe to plenty of other places in America, but that statue did act as a symbol of a new chance and a new life in the USA.
For that matter, any American Country with a democracy and Great Power status and a policy of open immigration, should be able to build it.

Reactions: