• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #25 - Reverse Engineering and Unique Technologies

Greetings scavengers and fellow interstellar gangsters!

Today I will be talking about debris and reverse-engineering. Whenever you defeat hostile creatures or ships in Stellaris, there is a possibility that they leave some debris behind. By studying the debris you may gain new insights into technologies unfamiliar to you.

probe amoeba.jpg

Not long after reaching for the stars, our fledgling empire encountered some strange creatures. In order to further study these creatures our fleet began to carefully probe them with a modest volley of nuclear missiles. After our fleet finished its “pilot study”, our researchers on our science ship could begin to collecting more data by studying the debris.

study remains.jpg

By studying the data collected from the remains, our science ship can give us insight into how these creatures stay alive in the void of space. These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin. If we continue to study how this tissue is composed, we may in the future be able to apply the technology of regenerative hull tissue to our own ships.

Sometimes a technology might not yet be a valid research option for your empire. In such cases, reverse-engineering the debris of technologically superior spacecraft might yield you the possibility to research things that would otherwise be beyond your understanding.

In addition, some technologies in Stellaris cannot at all be researched by normal means, but must rather be discovered in other ways.

Next week Doomdark will return and tell you about Migration, Slavery and Purging!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
While this DD is welcome, it's too short and has hardly given us any new information besides space creatures and that a tech card is added once you successfuly find a new tech in the debris. It actually creates a couple fundamental questions

1) Can we not study live space creatures? We can only destroy them in order to study them? What about capturing them for research, warfare, space construction and space zoos? What about empires that want to be benevolent life-respecting hippies?

2) Can we not study captured alien ships? We can only study them through debris fields?

3) Can I get the same tech card more than once if I haven't researched it yet to increase the chances that it'll appear again?

4) Can we skip "Regenerative Skin tech I" and get "Regenerative Skin tech II" right away? Do techs even work like that?

Reactions:
So how exactly will this insight into "These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin." affect the card tech system? Does it increase the chances of a related card popping up? Can you study it for a long enough time (fill a bar) and then a choice of relevant technologies pop up? or how?

Reactions:
No new info here. Everything in this DD was pretty much already known.

CAN YOU CAPTURE ENEMY SHIPS WITHOUT BLOWING THEM UP FIRST?

I have been waiting for an answer to that question for months. I really thought we would find that out today.

Reactions:
Was this deleted and reuploaded?

Pretty sure it was.

And like I said before, I pleadingly hope that this isn't one of "several awesome things." While interesting and all, it still doesn't tell us anything more than that could have been inferred from previous DDs and announcements.

Reactions:
This game looks like it could be the best paradox title yet.

*hype intensifies*

Reactions:
Guys!

They just forget to write the next DD. It altready happened once.
The surprise is maybe weekly gameplay or something like that. The dev team still need at least 5 -6 months to finish the game. Stellaris did hit the beta in the last month, so do you really think 1,5 month in beta is enough? September - Oktober is the closest release date.

Sorry but it's true.

Stellaris is in beta since January aprox (HoI4 beta-submission was in early February),that makes a release window from April to June. In the worst case i'd say August, but September-Oktober as the closest release date is rather pesimistic

Last edited:
Reactions:
I can't decide what I like more. The reverse engineering, the confirmation of giant space monsters, or the promise of the next Dev Diary.

Reactions:
Actually living creatures in space are real at least in some tv series and movies.
Farscape - simple and nice looking in symbiosis with the 'driver'.
Star Trek- it's basically energy creature.
Stargate- wraith hive with regenerative armor. Growable and can be 'sick'.
Very different style and all of thm can work in game.

I'm fan of reverse engineering and I hope modders can exploit this feature.

well there is also life on earth that can survive in the vacum of space... The Hardy Water Bear(Tardigrade)! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Reactions:
There really needs to be a peaceful alternative to murdering things then studying remains.

There is. The alternative is being murdered and being studied by things. You can't surrender to a tiger - it just doesn't understand. Power grows from the barrel of a gun. If you don't believe me let's ask that great pacifist Mr. Gandhi - oh wait, we can't. Know why? He was shot dead.

Reactions:
There is. The alternative is being murdered and being studied by things. You can't surrender to a tiger - it just doesn't understand. Power grows from the barrel of a gun. If you don't believe me let's ask that great pacifist Mr. Gandhi - oh wait, we can't. Know why? He was shot dead.

How could I forget Gandhi's heroic but doomed taming of the Martian Space Amoebas?

Foolish of me.

Reactions: