• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #25 - Reverse Engineering and Unique Technologies

Greetings scavengers and fellow interstellar gangsters!

Today I will be talking about debris and reverse-engineering. Whenever you defeat hostile creatures or ships in Stellaris, there is a possibility that they leave some debris behind. By studying the debris you may gain new insights into technologies unfamiliar to you.

probe amoeba.jpg

Not long after reaching for the stars, our fledgling empire encountered some strange creatures. In order to further study these creatures our fleet began to carefully probe them with a modest volley of nuclear missiles. After our fleet finished its “pilot study”, our researchers on our science ship could begin to collecting more data by studying the debris.

study remains.jpg

By studying the data collected from the remains, our science ship can give us insight into how these creatures stay alive in the void of space. These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin. If we continue to study how this tissue is composed, we may in the future be able to apply the technology of regenerative hull tissue to our own ships.

Sometimes a technology might not yet be a valid research option for your empire. In such cases, reverse-engineering the debris of technologically superior spacecraft might yield you the possibility to research things that would otherwise be beyond your understanding.

In addition, some technologies in Stellaris cannot at all be researched by normal means, but must rather be discovered in other ways.

Next week Doomdark will return and tell you about Migration, Slavery and Purging!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
I can't decide what I like more. The reverse engineering, the confirmation of giant space monsters, or the promise of the next Dev Diary.

Reactions:
It seems that quite a lot of game mechanics get shunted through the science vessel. This isn't a bad thing, but might run the risk of bottle necking. Remind us, can we have more than one science ship at a time? I'm all for making meaningful choices throughout the game, but where do we draw the line? How many features currently go through the science ship? 5-6?

Actually living creatures in space are real at least in some tv series and movies.
Farscape - simple and nice looking in symbiosis with the 'driver'.
Star Trek- it's basically energy creature.
Stargate- wraith hive with regenerative armor. Growable and can be 'sick'.
Very different style and all of thm can work in game.

I'm fan of reverse engineering and I hope modders can exploit this feature.

Reactions:
It seems that quite a lot of game mechanics get shunted through the science vessel. This isn't a bad thing, but might run the risk of bottle necking. Remind us, can we have more than one science ship at a time? I'm all for making meaningful choices throughout the game, but where do we draw the line? How many features currently go through the science ship? 5-6?

Yes I saw on some screenshots that we could have multiple science vessels ^^ I don't know if there is a limit but we know there is a limit to characters, and scientist should be crewed aboard science vessel, so if you have 3 scientist at home researching + one scientist crewing each science ship, and with a limit of say 17 characters, i think you might quickly run out of space for other type of characters ^^

I have to say... this DD was "a bit" on the short side....
But the eager anticipation for next week's DD has already begun!

Alternative Translation: A game that actually does right what all others in its genre have done wrong, especially recently.

Ehh cities: skylines is a meh game to a lot of people, sure it looks nice, but there is just relatively little to do in terms of gameplay that keeps you engaged and entertained, it's mostly just never ending repetitive expansion.
And the traffic AI has some glaring issues that gets passed off as "design decision" like how the drivers seem to often only use one lane in a 6 lane road, because they only calculate the fastes route (not including traffic...) at the START of the route, and they never recalculate. it makes the game literally unplayable unless you plan your road-layout based on these specific unintuitive "design decisions" that you have no way of knowing of, since the game never tells you...

Reactions:
Actually living creatures in space are real at least in some tv series and movies.
Farscape - simple and nice looking in symbiosis with the 'driver'.
Star Trek- it's basically energy creature.
Stargate- wraith hive with regenerative armor. Growable and can be 'sick'.
Very different style and all of thm can work in game.

I'm fan of reverse engineering and I hope modders can exploit this feature.

well there is also life on earth that can survive in the vacum of space... The Hardy Water Bear(Tardigrade)! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Reactions:
Slavery and Purging. Can't wait to read the DD about that!

Looks like strike crafts and missiles still moves on the same plane with ships, it looks a bit awkward and maybe confusing in large scale battle. Would they fly "higher" like SOTS in future version?

Reactions:
I like how migration is being shared in the same DD as slavery and purging. This tickles the evil center of my brain.

Where is the big difference:
Migrate by force=slavery
Migrate by more or less free will=migration
kill population, to migrate somone else there=purging

i see no, everything has to to with migrating people:D:D

Do we have to destroy the ships/squids/whatever in order to scan them? If I'm playing a pacifist species, that's probably not the approach I would want them to take. Maybe let us scan them while they're alive/active, but with the risk that they'll get angry and attack?

Migration and slavery? Huzzah!

I'm now hoping to get displaced from my homeworld by a revolt of synthetic slaves so I can pretty much be my favourite Mass effect race.

One small question that may had been answered by a dev diary that I missed: Will we be able to create a death star type weapon (or do the same with a massive fleet of ships) and/or do exterminatus from 40K?

i agree with the statement although i am not worried. i think this is done for the emergent storytelling...to be able to create the mini-episodes within a larger galaxy....a la star trek episodes. all the older interview always said that the most focus would be on the eXploration side of things. i think this is a result of that focus