• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #25 - Reverse Engineering and Unique Technologies

Greetings scavengers and fellow interstellar gangsters!

Today I will be talking about debris and reverse-engineering. Whenever you defeat hostile creatures or ships in Stellaris, there is a possibility that they leave some debris behind. By studying the debris you may gain new insights into technologies unfamiliar to you.

probe amoeba.jpg

Not long after reaching for the stars, our fledgling empire encountered some strange creatures. In order to further study these creatures our fleet began to carefully probe them with a modest volley of nuclear missiles. After our fleet finished its “pilot study”, our researchers on our science ship could begin to collecting more data by studying the debris.

study remains.jpg

By studying the data collected from the remains, our science ship can give us insight into how these creatures stay alive in the void of space. These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin. If we continue to study how this tissue is composed, we may in the future be able to apply the technology of regenerative hull tissue to our own ships.

Sometimes a technology might not yet be a valid research option for your empire. In such cases, reverse-engineering the debris of technologically superior spacecraft might yield you the possibility to research things that would otherwise be beyond your understanding.

In addition, some technologies in Stellaris cannot at all be researched by normal means, but must rather be discovered in other ways.

Next week Doomdark will return and tell you about Migration, Slavery and Purging!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
I am hyped for Stellaris and love every DD, however I must say this DD was the most boring and short one ever... disappointed in terms of informations given to me. Why? Because you devs have told us of scavenging space debris many times before so it was nothing new.

Meanwhile he missed the 26min footage shown,... (me toooooo) :mad:

Good information to know, thank you.

How much effort does a player have to invest into each study? How often does an opportunity to do something like this arise? I'm worried that if there's a lot of battles and a lot of debris everywhere, won't this whole process become tedious and annoyingly repetitive?

I want an empire of space-faring amoebas that consume essential materials of the planets that they encounter and enslave the natives and keep them on their special slave-ships. I want hordes and looting+razing from EU4 to have an equivalent in this game. :D

There really needs to be a peaceful alternative to murdering things then studying remains.

There is. The alternative is being murdered and being studied by things. You can't surrender to a tiger - it just doesn't understand. Power grows from the barrel of a gun. If you don't believe me let's ask that great pacifist Mr. Gandhi - oh wait, we can't. Know why? He was shot dead.

Reactions:
Terrible Dev Diary - low on content, poor screenshots, and no new information other than the existence of Space Monsters which weren't even detailed :(

Reactions:
Purging! Hell yeah, do we get to wear power armor or do we just get some wiper fluids and await the festival? :D

Reactions:
There is. The alternative is being murdered and being studied by things. You can't surrender to a tiger - it just doesn't understand. Power grows from the barrel of a gun. If you don't believe me let's ask that great pacifist Mr. Gandhi - oh wait, we can't. Know why? He was shot dead.

How could I forget Gandhi's heroic but doomed taming of the Martian Space Amoebas?

Foolish of me.

Reactions:
In the PC gamer video it showed that upon encountering the space creature, they were able to start a research project to research the creature. They chose to go after it and blow it apart to demonstrate combat.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Grekulf :). Yet another gameplay system that looks like it'll be a lot of fun in action, can't wait (and perhaps we won't have to wait too much longer....)

Next week Doomdark will return and tell you about Migration, Slavery and Purging!
Oh yeah!

Enslave EVERYTHING! Those who defy us will be purged.