• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #25 - Reverse Engineering and Unique Technologies

Greetings scavengers and fellow interstellar gangsters!

Today I will be talking about debris and reverse-engineering. Whenever you defeat hostile creatures or ships in Stellaris, there is a possibility that they leave some debris behind. By studying the debris you may gain new insights into technologies unfamiliar to you.

probe amoeba.jpg

Not long after reaching for the stars, our fledgling empire encountered some strange creatures. In order to further study these creatures our fleet began to carefully probe them with a modest volley of nuclear missiles. After our fleet finished its “pilot study”, our researchers on our science ship could begin to collecting more data by studying the debris.

study remains.jpg

By studying the data collected from the remains, our science ship can give us insight into how these creatures stay alive in the void of space. These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin. If we continue to study how this tissue is composed, we may in the future be able to apply the technology of regenerative hull tissue to our own ships.

Sometimes a technology might not yet be a valid research option for your empire. In such cases, reverse-engineering the debris of technologically superior spacecraft might yield you the possibility to research things that would otherwise be beyond your understanding.

In addition, some technologies in Stellaris cannot at all be researched by normal means, but must rather be discovered in other ways.

Next week Doomdark will return and tell you about Migration, Slavery and Purging!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
So how exactly will this insight into "These particular creatures manage to stay alive due to their regenerative skin." affect the card tech system? Does it increase the chances of a related card popping up? Can you study it for a long enough time (fill a bar) and then a choice of relevant technologies pop up? or how?

It would be added as an "additional card".

Reactions:
Typical human nature:

"We have barely made it into space, and we have found a giant space-travelling creature that's larger than our ships! What should we do???"

"NUKE IT."

In unrelated news, nice DD

Reactions:
A bit short, perhaps. But you Paradogs have promised us big news this week...
What's in store for us the next week in the Dev Diary department?

Reactions:
I sincerely hope it doesn't come out until after May, I still need to have time to play my Fallout 4 DLC and finish a megacampaign from CK2.

All other games get thrown on the scrap heap when Stellaris goes live! ;)

Reactions:
I feel the most interesting part of this DD is the "giant space monsters" part :)

Although reverse engineering debris is also cool.

Reactions:
You must realize that all the game mechanics you've highlighted in these continuing DD's are basically what every 4X gamer has been dreaming of?

There is simply no other game on the market with these ideas implemented.

#Stellaris_like_no_other

Reactions:
by judging from the shortness of this article, i assume there is not much left to address and game is close to release

Reactions:
Guys!

They just forget to write the next DD. It altready happened once.
The surprise is maybe weekly gameplay or something like that. The dev team still need at least 5 -6 months to finish the game. Stellaris did hit the beta in the last month, so do you really think 1,5 month in beta is enough? September - Oktober is the closest release date.

Sorry but it's true.

Stellaris likely reached Beta in January or December of last year. We know that Stellaris reached Beta before HoI4 and that HoI4 reached Beta in the beginning of February.

Reactions:
I have to say... this DD was "a bit" on the short side....
But the eager anticipation for next week's DD has already begun!

Alternative Translation: A game that actually does right what all others in its genre have done wrong, especially recently.

Ehh cities: skylines is a meh game to a lot of people, sure it looks nice, but there is just relatively little to do in terms of gameplay that keeps you engaged and entertained, it's mostly just never ending repetitive expansion.
And the traffic AI has some glaring issues that gets passed off as "design decision" like how the drivers seem to often only use one lane in a 6 lane road, because they only calculate the fastes route (not including traffic...) at the START of the route, and they never recalculate. it makes the game literally unplayable unless you plan your road-layout based on these specific unintuitive "design decisions" that you have no way of knowing of, since the game never tells you...

Reactions: