• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #201: Galactic Imperium

Hello everyone!

Last week we talked about how the Galactic Community can elect a Custodian to unite them against an ongoing crisis, and this week we aim to continue that story.

The Unbidden invaded the galaxy, and in order to defeat the crisis you needed to ask for additional powers, and the length of the war underlined the need for more permanent powers. Those powers were very nice to have, and they are powers that you may not want to give up so easily.

1613644189000.png

Remember that time when you needed to make your custodianship perpetual? Those were the days.

It would be better if you could find a more permanent and legitimate solution. Besides… wouldn’t the galaxy be safer under your leadership anyway?

1613644208348.png

When a Custodianship is granted on a perpetual term limit, the Custodian can propose a resolution for the creation of a Galactic Imperium.

Proclaim the Galactic Imperium
Citizens of the galaxy! On this day we make history as we transition into a new, and brighter future! Under this New Order, our ideals and rights will be protected. We hold these rights to be self-evident and we will defend them by force of arms. No star shall be lost to the enemies of our Community and together we will repel all attacks from within or without. Let our enemies learn to fear us: those who challenge our resolve will be crushed.
– High Chancellor Nilapatep, during the proclamation of the Galactic Imperium

1613644273727.png

Long live the Imperium!

1613644302872.png

Long live the Emperor!

When the Galactic Imperium is created, all federations that were previously in the Galactic Community will be disbanded.

1613644319498.png

There is a New Order in town.

The Galactic Imperium cannot be proclaimed during a War in Heaven.

Galactic Imperium
Once created, the Galactic Community ceases to exist and turns into the Galactic Imperium instead. Some things will be familiar, and some things will be entirely different.

1613644342042.png

Will the Imperial Senate Comfort the Fallen?

The Galactic Emperor will gain access to a number of new resolutions, and a number of resolutions that are similar to those that were available to the Custodian.

1613644361229.png

There is much work to be done in the Galactic Imperium.

The Galactic Emperor retains the powers available to the Custodian, e.g. such as Conclude Session and Freeze Resolution. They will also have a permanent Intel bonus against members, and gain an additional bonus to Diplomatic Weight.

Your Ethics will shift towards Fanatic Authoritarian, shift your Authority to Imperial, and you will get a new government form. Your Civics that are incompatible with your new position will be removed and you will gain a new unique Civic.

1613644377416.png

The emperor will gain a new unique Civic that doesn’t occupy a Civic slot.

Hive Minds, Machine Intelligences and Megacorps are not blocked from proclaiming the Galactic Imperium, and have their own slight twist on it.

A Megacorp that forms the Galactic Imperium gains access to regular civics as well as corporate civics.

Imperial Armada
If there was a Galactic Defense Force during the previous Custodianship, it will be converted into the Imperial Armada instead.

Imperial Authority
The power that the Emperor holds over the Galactic Imperium is reflected in Imperial Authority. Depending on the strength of the Imperial Authority, different things can happen.

1613644401995.png

Members of the Galactic Imperium can choose to Strengthen or to Undermine Imperial Authority.

The Galactic Emperor gains access to a new Operation – Target Seditionists – which will prevent the target from undermining Imperial Authority with their envoys for a certain amount of time.

Those opposing the lawfulness of this New Order will also gain their own tools. The Weaken Imperial Authority Operation will do exactly what it promises. Should Imperial Authority fall below 50, they also gain access to the Spark Rebellion Operation, which will also do exactly what you would expect.

Rebellion
The rebels have chosen to light the flame, and the galaxy is in turmoil once again.

Those who refuse to join the rebels will join a loyalist federation instead, and a war will be declared that pits these two federations against each other. All rebel empires will leave the Imperium for the duration of this war.

If the Rebels win the war, the Imperium is dismantled and reverts back into the Galactic Community. All Rebels will rejoin the Community, Council members lose their seats, and all Loyalists get a temporary debuff to their diplomatic weight for a few years, meaning their influence in the reborn Galactic Community will be limited to begin with. The former Emperor will get even greater diplomatic weight penalties which will also last longer.

If the Loyalists win, the Rebels are all forced back into the Galactic Imperium and they get temporary debuff which lowers their diplomatic weight for a few years. In addition, Imperial Authority is greatly increased.

Regardless of who wins, the Rebel and Loyalist federations are disbanded.

If the war ends in a Status Quo/White Peace, the Rebels secede from the Imperium, and their Federation stays intact.

A Galaxy on Fire
With Nemesis we wanted to focus on the things that can go wrong, we wanted to focus on disruption and chaos. With one crisis defeated, the next crisis might be just around the corner, and it will be up to you to navigate the delicate balance of the galaxy.

Will you light the flame, or will you restore the balance?

Who will be your Nemesis?

• 238Love
  • 165Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Theoretically. But remember that this feature is based upon Star Wars's Galactic Empire -- and that empire isn't know for being gentle with dissidents and freedom fighters...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Mimisbrunnr, are you aware that the ethics of the empire's founder will shift to Authoritarian? As far as I know, there is no way to change that. And I want this kind of change to be something that is forced upon the GE and its ruler, not something decided for free and spontaneous will. Remember the Systems Commonwealth? Well, it only become a constitutional monarchy because the Vedran (Vedran Empire's founder species) became a minority on its own empire -- an empire shaked by rebelions and riots. It's something like that what I truly want.

Yes, I am entirely aware that the ethics will shift to Fanatic Authoritarian, but we ALSO know that the regular rules for ethics and authority reform still apply. So while of course the change is coming by force from an usurping president-custodian pulling a Palpatine, the government can still change AFTER THE FACT if there is enough popular support to enable an ethics shift.

Immediately after becoming the Imperium, you are Fanatic Authoritarian, which makes you only eligible for Imperial and Dictatorial governments. Now, if I recall, there is a 20 year cool down after your ethics get shifted, so you'd need to wait for a minimum of two decades before changing this. If enough of your population has remained attracted to other ethics during this time, you can make an ethics shift. I don't think you are allowed to actually shift to Egalitarian while your authority is still Imperial or Dictatorial (unless I am mistaken), so I'd probably shift to my most likely surviving Xenophile ethic, changing myself from Fanatic Authoritarian Xenophile to Fanatic Xenophile Authoritarian. 20 years after that (so 40 years after declaring the Imperium), if my social welfare policies have maintained enough Egalitarian attraction I could finally return to being a democracy.

Hence why I said theoretically. I'm assuming Paradox has already thought of this work around and have taken measures to prevent such a work around.

They've already said in response to forum questions that you can ethics shift to other authorities or ethics as normal if you meet the requirements, so unless there was a hidden catch that they forgot to mention there is no such prevention other than the ordinary rules (attraction requirements, cool downs, ethics limitations on authorities, etc.)

Theoretically. But remember that this feature is based upon Star Wars's Galactic Empire -- and that empire isn't know for being gentle with dissidents and freedom fighters...

For me, on one hand I'll be pulling a Palpatine in usurping power... but putting the twist on it that rather than being a power-crazed psychopath, I'll be attempting to be a genuinely benevolent Galactic Emperor as much as is reasonably possible. So much like Palpatine (THE FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE!!! ... I mean Imperium) yet so very different.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I may very well be wrong , but from the example of the megacorp.you see that they are a non fanatic autoritarian , meaning the push to autoritarian is one step , not 2 .

I would like to know what happens with a democratic imperium , because there is a coronation of the emperor , do you think it will switch evry 10 years ? Or there will be 1 emperor and you will have 1 president of your nation ? (I guess the first one eh ? ;P )

I dont know .. i see the curator already as a figure of a "president" of sort. The only real difference is thay it is not accompained by internal warlaws (members can declare war on the curator/ curator can declare war on them) and there is no forced membership(members can leave the GC at any time) so he doesnt have an equivalent of "empire stability" to trigger rebelions .

The empire cant realy change member gov form , or anything they do , apart from laws that chang some diplomatic action ( imperial pax ) .

I know you will always want more , but i can see why the dev ( and players) see the curator as the non-authoritarian solution .

Mhh , i know it is selled as a "bad thing" , but i think its not so different from any max level resolution , it would be see as kinda bad if the emperor is some sort of xenophobe/ militaristic autoritarian enslaver .

But i cant realy see it as an absolute evil (SW style) act in itself . I guess for an egalitarian this is all extremly wrong , but for evry other ethic this is accetable.

There is no evil attached to the empire itself, only how the emperor use that power .

Reactions:
I would like to know what happens with a democratic imperium , because there is a coronation of the emperor , do you think it will switch evry 10 years ? Or there will be 1 emperor and you will have 1 president of your nation ? (I guess the first one eh ? ;P )

Since the leader of your nation (as we see on the diplomacy screen) becomes both your national leader and the Galactic Emperor, I would see the positions of President of the Imperial Core and Galactic Emperor as one and the same in an imperium that has completed the decades-long process of ethics shifting and authority changing to become a democracy.

As such, I think we are eventually ending up with an elected constitutional monarch with a finite term (though eligible for reelection), elected either directly by the people in a popular election or some intermediary (such as being elected by a parliament who themselves are popularly elected or via some kind of electoral college). To return to an analogy I made previously, similar to the Naboo with the elected constitutional monarch part of it.

Or as another way of imagining it, imagine the President of the United States or the British Prime Minister fused together with the old position of Empress/Emperor of the British Empire, making the entire merged position an elected office.

Reactions:
Since the leader of your nation (as we see on the diplomacy screen) becomes both your national leader and the Galactic Emperor, I would see the positions of President of the Imperial Core and Galactic Emperor as one and the same in an imperium that has completed the decades-long process of ethics shifting and authority changing to become a democracy.

As such, I think we are eventually ending up with an elected constitutional monarch with a finite term (though eligible for reelection), elected either directly by the people in a popular election or some intermediary (such as being elected by a parliament who themselves are popularly elected or via some kind of electoral college). To return to an analogy I made previously, similar to the Naboo with the elected constitutional monarch part of it.

Or as another way of imagining it, imagine the President of the United States or the British Prime Minister fused together with the old position of Empress/Emperor of the British Empire, making the entire merged position an elected office.

England past costituscion was exatly what i was thinking of, there were a king\queen , and a prime minister elected ... so there was a figurehead and a president ( of sort ofc.)

mhh i remember too little of naboo policy , i remember the queen being elected evry 4 years and something somenthing... google help .

(after a short fruitless search) naboo is realy like a democracy but instead of calling someone president , they call it king\queen ... maybe i'm missing something, like the election being only from the royals . ANYWAY .

i kinda liked the idea of an Emperor , and if there was a different form of gov for the imperial core to have a different leader for it . ( yea, by gameplay meccanics would just be having more leader traits for the nation; so kinda useless)

realy hope to see various possibility for degradation of the empire, like the start of an electorade to decide the next imperial core , HRE style decadence .

I may very well be wrong , but from the example of the megacorp.you see that they are a non fanatic autoritarian , meaning the push to autoritarian is one step , not 2 .

I dont know .. i see the curator already as a figure of a "president" of sort. The only real difference is thay it is not accompained by internal warlaws (members can declare war on the curator/ curator can declare war on them) and there is no forced membership(members can leave the GC at any time) so he doesnt have an equivalent of "empire stability" to trigger rebelions .

The empire cant realy change member gov form , or anything they do , apart from laws that chang some diplomatic action ( imperial pax ) .

I know you will always want more , but i can see why the dev ( and players) see the curator as the non-authoritarian solution .
Not necessarily, since Megacorps are prevented from being Fan auth or egal (due to government type restrictions). Although they were still an imperial authority, so maybe not. I think we'll just have to wait and see, unless a dev clears it up first.

I think grekulf's...
Your Ethics will shift towards Fanatic Authoritarian
...is just a case of very bad/ambivalent wording - you gain a single point in authoritarianism, take a step towards Fanatic Authoritarian and only end up as a Fanatic Authoritarian if you were already authoritarian to begin with.

I think the tooltip is a bit more precise on this...
..."shifting towards Authoritarianism" no mention of Fanatic Authoritarian and the wording again sounds to me like you get a single point in authoritarian.

Oh well, It cannot be that long until we can test it ourselves.

I think grekulf's...

...is just a case of very bad/ambivalent wording - you gain a single point in authoritarianism, take a step towards Fanatic Authoritarian and only end up as a Fanatic Authoritarian if you were already authoritarian to begin with.

I think the tooltip is a bit more precise on this...

..."shifting towards Authoritarianism" no mention of Fanatic Authoritarian and the wording again sounds to me like you get a single point in authoritarian.

Oh well, It cannot be that long until we can test it ourselves.

Would it be possible for @grekulf to enlighten us on this point: Is it actually to Fanatic Authoritarian, or is it just shift to the next possible increment of authoritarian? (i.e. non-Authoritarian --> Authoritarian, Authoritarian --> Fanatic Authoritarian)

Reactions:
Would it be possible for @grekulf to enlighten us on this point: Is it actually to Fanatic Authoritarian, or is it just shift to the next possible increment of authoritarian? (i.e. non-Authoritarian --> Authoritarian, Authoritarian --> Fanatic Authoritarian)
This just occurred to me... On top of this, please tell us if the Imperium declaration is limited to Authoritarian ethic empires only.

Not necessarily, since Megacorps are prevented from being Fan auth or egal (due to government type restrictions). Although they were still an imperial authority, so maybe not. I think we'll just have to wait and see, unless a dev clears it up first.

Megacorp government is just a special kind of Oligarchy - it's a Merchant Republic in space.

With a Megacorp imperium, I'm not even sure what it is supposed to represent politically, since you can mix and match all the civics and you presumably have imperial succession (so it's not really a plutocratic system of government any more). Will a megacorp imperium have any downsides compared to a regular imperium? Specifically:

1. Can a galactic imperium wage liberation wars, and if so, what kind of government does it install? (Megacorps currently suffer from the inability to create favourable governments beyond their borders, since creating more megacorps is very much unfavourable to them.)

2. What kind of subjects does a galactic imperium have access to, and does it depend on whether or not it's a megacorp? (Megacorps are unable to "buy out" other empires diplomatically, i.e. vassalize+integrate, they can only annex territory or seize branch offices by military means.)

I don't really like these weaknesses of megacorps when it comes to regular play either, but it's unclear if a megacorp imperium will have the same flaws.

Reactions:
This just occurred to me... On top of this, please tell us if the Imperium declaration is limited to Authoritarian ethic empires only.

My understanding that the declaration makes you BECOME Authoritarian if not already, rather than requiring you to start out as Authoritarian. It is the end state but not the prerequisite.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Exactly. One of your civics changes to Authoritarian.

Sorry, I always confuse Civics with Ethics! :D

Will our ruler title remain Galactic Emperor if we have the Galactic Sovereign civic, but over the course of decades have reformed into a democracy, or is there a variant of the title for different authorities (like the corporate authority already has)?

Reactions: