• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #174 - Federations is out, now what?

Hello everyone!

Federations was released a little bit over a week ago, and we hope it's still giving you much joy.

There’s much to celebrate as the community has broken a bunch of records! We had 64-thousand people playing Stellaris on Saturday, which is the highest amount of concurrent players since its release 4 years ago. We want to thank you for the massive amount of support we’ve received with this expansion! We hope everyone has found this expansion as fun and enjoyable as us.

While you are busy enjoying the game we’ve been planning updates and working on patches. We are currently working on a 2.6.3 that we’re planning on releasing as a beta sometime soon. 2.6.3 should hopefully be the last of the smaller patches, as we will be switching focus to a somewhat larger free update in May.

The May update (TBA) will contain more bug fixes, but also a bunch of new things for you to play with. We are very interested in hearing your feedback and ideas regarding Federations, and if there was anything you would have wished for us to add. We are especially interested in feedback related to Resolutions and Federation Laws. Although I will not promise they will be added, I still wanted to leave some room open in case there were ideas that the community really wanted.

upload_2020-3-26_12-52-12.png

Will you protect the Tiyanki or hunt them for profit?
We will give you some more information about the May update at a later stage, so stay tuned! Until then, keep enjoying the game :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
We are very interested in hearing your feedback and ideas regarding Federations, and if there was anything you would have wished for us to add. We are especially interested in feedback related to Resolutions and Federation Laws.

1. The ability to use favors to make federation members support your law proposal.

2. I'd like more control over the speed my federation levels up. It's too easy to keep your cohesion at 100% and advance at the snail pace of 10 XP per month. I would instead propose:
a) you multiple by five the amount of XP you gain at full cohesion.
b) Borrowing from the EU4 playbook, you add a monthly decay of cohesion proportional to the cohesion you already have. At 100 cohesion you'd lose 5 cohesion per month. At 20 cohesion you'd lose 1 cohesion per month. So for instance a monthly gain through envoys of 1 would be countered by a monthly cohesion loss of 1 at cohesion 20. Cohesion 20 would give you the current maximum of 10 XP.

3. Tie the galactic resolutions to the faction system. For instance the Mutual Defense resolutions give increased happiness to the Militarist faction, but the reverse to the Pacifist factions. Building resolutions around this principle would also make it easier to write AI voting behavior.

Last edited:
For me the most important areas to improve are;
  1. Improvement of the military AI; AI fed members should actively participate in a war. As of now? Not sure what they are doing.
  2. New ways to affect Federation members; perhaps using favors or not, it would be most welcome to change a member stance on Fed Fleet contribution for example.
As for new ideas;
  • Now there is no consequences if your fed member or vassal member oppose you on the G community. But should this actually be the case? And would it be possible to form political blocks like in real life politics?
  • Dark Galactic Community; how about having resolutions that can benefit slavers or such? Imagine a dark GC, where it's members do not want to benefit workers.
  • More resolutions; that is a yes. How often do you see space animals in the mid to late game though? Ok how about resolutions protecting primitives? How about unable to claim their sector? Fermi Paradox. How other resolutions enabling to conquer them without penalties.

Please, add the election option in how we choose our federation ruler -- none of the ways available looks appropriate to a Galactic Union founded on the principles of democracy.

I would very much like Federations to be more like a mini-GC of sorts, with federation laws being locked by centralization levels - but this lock has to go both ways, there must be benefits beyond just Cohesion to staying decentralized. Laws that I'd like to see a Federation decide on for all members ... again, locked by centralization, and definitely not an exhaustive list: Refugees, Purges, Slavery, Resettlement, Population Controls.
Ideally quite a lot of the GC laws dealing with internal policies (like the economy and living standards) should really be at the federation level. And the GC would deal with more general policies and war crimes. Then you could have competing power blocks with more clearly defined ideologies.
But I understand why they didn't duplicate things and wanted to keep systems unique

The introduction of federations and diplomatic weight seems like a great framework with which to revamp feudal realm (and possibly imperial cult) as a civic that actually makes having vassals worthwhile for longer than the minimum time it takes to integrate them. Maybe a special souped-up hegemony federation type that only their subjects can join, with greater production bonuses, more diplo weight steal, subject tax multipliers for the leader, and the potential for a subject to "usurp the throne" and subjugate their old overlord or a "shatter realm" CB for outsiders?

Feudal realm seems like it should have very powerful vassals with less stability, right now it has vassals that are exactly as strong as the rest with increased stability.

Last edited:
Ideally quite a lot of the GC laws dealing with internal policies (like the economy and living standards) should really be at the federation level. And the GC would deal with more general policies and war crimes. Then you could have competing power blocks with more clearly defined ideologies.
But I understand why they didn't duplicate things and wanted to keep systems unique
Actually, I would prefer this (and made that suggestion last page). The GC should focus on broader diplomacy between the entire galaxy, and could be a way for otherwise unfriendly members to work together, or undermine each other.
Meanwhile, Federations should have a similar system focused on projects and objectives between members who are already willing to work together.

Make it so stopping pop growth (entirely) on a planet just boosts growth on all the others (by the same amount divided) so we can all stop the micro, possibly turning "growth" into an empire-wide "resource" that we could track vs migration treaties.

Diplomatic Weight, Attitude and Diplomatic Stance need to appear in the 'Contacts' screen. This will provide an 'at a glance' view of diplomatic relations, without needing to click into each empire to see this info.

There are a couple issues i've seen that are not specific to federations but here goes:

- pop resettlement still feels hard to manage. In my latest run i have 3000 pops distributed on some 50 planets and oh boy
- fleets taking point do not seem to work as intended; allied fleet do what they want and it's impossible to organize a coordinated attack unless i put my own ships on follow-command
- planet and sector automation does not seem to work too well

Pop ethic shift still feels a little busted but im not sure what the problem is. Also, envoys improving relations feels a tad bit too powerful, being easily able to overcome dramatic differences in ethics and government - although this is more of an opinion; some players seem to be fine with it.

On a more positive note, thank you for indentured servitude: it has made my slaver playthroughs much more fun to manage.

Congratulations on your release, very fun and solid!

Can we please also get some changes to Robots, Droids, and Synthetics? Synthetic ascension ist way to strong. The game is forcing players to use robots cause of the big pop growth(
at least equivalent to +66% bio pop growth on 100% habitability). There should be a trade-off when someone is using robots in general. You balanced Maschine Empires well. Now we need similar changes to normal Robots and Synthetic Ascension. Using Robots should be an ideological choice, not an economic necessary choice. Which means there is no choice at all in the current state of the game.

Having a pop-up warning before enacting policies that would put you in breach of Galactic law, asking you to verify if you really want to enact this policy still after outlining all the effects it would provide would be great.

Heck even just putting it in the tooltip when you're hovering over it would be great, something like "THIS PUTS YOU IN BREACH OF GALACTIC LAW"

Are you taking suggestions for new origins? Because if you are, an origin where you start in a stellar cluster outside the main galaxy (like the L-Cluster but not THE L-Cluster) would be really cool.

New resolution ideas:

- A Spiritualist branch, either having to do with Unity (as that's their resource of choice) and Traditions/Ascension Perks or competing with the Materialist research branch so that you don't have to permit artificial intelligence as a Spiritualist if you want the tech diplomatic weight boost.

- Non-proliferation treaties for Colossi and other dangerous technology (Synths, Jump Drives, etc.). Would probably be hard to get support for from someone that doesn't have the tech unless the Galactic Community as a whole doesn't have it (but still is aware of it), but could be interesting.

- Naval treaties. Not sure how easy it would be to implement, and it would probably have to be a high-tier resolution that would be hard to get support for, but it would likely please powerful empires to be able to tell less powerful empires that they can only build X Battleships or Y Cruisers to avoid breaking Galactic Law or (if implemented the other way around) please smaller empires to be able to prevent stronger empires from running away to the same extent. Could perhaps be an Authoritarian branch if the first implementation is used, while being Egalitarian if it is implemented the other way around. Crises that have become the Galactic Focus would temporarily suspend these treaties.

- Consecutive term limits for the Galactic Council (permanent members excluded), as well as the minimum number of terms that must pass between serving on the Galactic Council. Authoritarians and current/likely members might dislike it, but weaker powers and Egalitarians might like it as it makes it harder for the Council members to abuse their position.

- Term durations for the Galactic Council. More frequent elections might be desirable by non-members, particularly coupled with the above.

- Resolutions regarding recess times and senate debate periods. More frequent sessions/shorter sessions might benefit some empires, while someone that is on a small Galactic Council and intends to rule through Emergency Measures, Vetoes, and Favours might benefit from very infrequent sessions/longer sessions.

- Resolutions regarding how frequent Emergency Measures may be used by any given member and in general. I had a period in my game where I and the other Galactic Council members basically called a senate session as soon as the preceding one ended because we all used Emergency Measures on fairly unimportant stuff to prevent someone else from doing it on something that would have been worse for us.

- Resolutions regarding how frequent any given member of the Galactic Council can use their veto powers (as opposed to just "Once every 10 years" and "Never").

- If feasible, a resolution governing whether a veto can be overturned by a large enough majority, e.g. by forcing a short senate session where the veto user gets a diplomatic weight boost and others can attempt to oppose that.

- If feasible, alternative election methods than pure diplomatic weight, e.g. having empires pick their preferred candidate based on opinion (with a certain amount of selfishness, particularly from Authoritarians) and vote for them so that smaller empires could band together to block a powerful empire from getting a council seat if they dislike that empire enough.

- Maybe a "Declaration of Protection" Council resolution, putting anyone attacking the protected target in breach of Galactic Law. Smaller empires and Pacifists might love that (particularly if they're protected), even if it wouldn't be possible to act on without going quite far down the Militarist branch.

- Maybe a "Grant Galactic Law Exemption" Council resolution, temporarily giving the target (or everyone) a reprieve from being in breach of Galactic Law and any sanctions that apply as a result (but not from secondary effects; if you crack a planet people will probably still not like you). People in breach of Galactic Law might love that, but others might not like it at all.

- Maybe a "Call for Ceasefire" Council resolution, giving the attacker in a certain war (or even all intra-Community wars) a "Status Quo or Galactic Law Breach" choice and giving the defender that same choice if they agree, with a refusal putting your side in breach of Galactic Law. Pacificsts and the losing side in that particular war might like it, Militarists and the winner might not.

- Maybe a resolution to strip the current Market Leader of the Galactic Market headquarters. Difficult to get support for from non-rivals unless the target is widely disliked or in breach of Galactic Law, but would perhaps be yet another weapon to use to combat a rogue member (or to abuse to weaken a weak target even more).

- Maybe a resolution to transfer emergency resources to a target, useful if the Galactic Community wants to help someone fighting off a Fanatical Purifier or something (or for powerful members to enrich themselves), along with resolutions forcing members to pay a small amount of resources (a capped percentage of their income) into an emergency stockpile (liked by Egalitarians, disliked by Authoritarians and Megacorps).

- Maybe a resolution blocking a certain empire (that isn't a permanent member; you have get rid of that first) from being on the Galactic Council for a certain number of years/a certain number of elections, making it hard for a disliked empire to keep a seat even with high diplomatic weight. There could perhaps also be a CB to oust a member of the Galactic Council if you pass certain resolutions (surely this wouldn't be abused) that could be an alternative to Liberation Wars for people that don't allow Unrestricted Wars.

- A Migration Treaty/Xeno Rights branch for Xenophiles and Egalitarians, eventually forcing everyone to permit free migration, refugees, and full species rights for all species. Might need to partially require Greater Than Ourselves resolutions to have passed to keep it from resulting in xeno slaves or xenos being purged everywhere.

- Maybe (Council?) resolutions to promote a certain ethos in the community, giving everyone some attraction towards that ethos, either for a limited time or to an increasing extent as further resolutions are passed. If tiered, people that have the ethos in question might support high tier promotion, those opposed to it would probably oppose even the lowest tier, and those that are neutral might accept one or two tiers but dislike going too far.

General Galactic Community tweak ideas:

- Make the AI re-evaluate proposed resolutions before they hit the senate floor, say once per year. It is annoying to see an unanimous vote quickly turn into a vote being contested, even if it perhaps is a bit accurate for things like that to happen.

- Add an alert for "Senate soon in session", so that we can make last-minute changes to our resolution approval.

- Add an alert for "Senate about to vote", so that we can call in Favours/change our vote before it is too late if we're busy with something else.

- Maybe show the main reason why the AI is voting a certain way if you mouse over them on the senate floor, in case it is possible to fix a problem (e.g. if they're slightly unhappy with you it could be fixed, while if they oppose something due to being a Pacifist you might not be able to do anything short of calling in Favours).

- Maybe add the ability to send envoys to directly harm a target's diplomatic weight (say by 1 % per envoy and with a maximum of one envoy per target per empire), making it possible for smaller empires that can't increase their own weight noticeably to oppose specific targets to a greater extent.

- Maybe make the Unchained Knowledge branch give a small (smaller than a research agreement) boost to researching (and drawing) techs that other Galactic Community members have discovered.

- Maybe delay some breaches of Galactic Law from resulting in sanctions for a short while. For example, if you build an extra Achorage while sitting at 50 % naval capacity used you could break Galactic Law for a month or two, which could be unfortunate if it coincides with a senate vote or Council election (and I suspect the AI isn't smart enough to avoid issues like this).

Merging two federations with similar ethics would be nice.

Federation goals, that is the ability for a federation to set a long/short term goal(s) related to their function would also be great. Kinda like a militarist federation might propose a goal “contain this Determined Exterminator” or a galactic union with egalitarian members may want to “spread democratic systems”

I think you fundamentally misunderstand what's happening in the Horizon Signal if you think its text "isn't supposed to make sense".

I absolutely DO NOT want Gestalts to get an unedited version of the Horizon Signal, so unless they get Alexis Kennedy back to write a version that fits for Hiveminds, they shouldn't get to do it.

I think we all know thats probably not going to happen. If it does, it would be great of course. But since its likely not going to happen, having the best event with slightly off text is better than having no event at all. Who cares if 5 lines of text don't match, its not like you read every sentence after you encountered this event 2 times already. Its simply the fastes way for more content and fun for the player.