• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

M@ni@c

Lt. General
52 Badges
Apr 27, 2002
Visit site
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
Welcome to Hide the Jewelry!

SUBSCRIBE ON STEAM
Up to date with Jade Dragon.

Very short feature list:

• A province resource, trade good manufacturing and trading system. For instance Toulouse produces Dye, which can be turned into Cloth with either Flax, Wool or Cotton. Goods can be spent to advance tech and construct buildings.
  • Prestige and Piety become a political coin. You have to pay one of those to do most diplomatic actions, such as declaring war, converting someone’s religion (100 piety), or arranging a marriage (25 piety).
  • More importance to character attributes. For instance they affect the cost of declaring war. The Personal Claim Casus Belli costs 300 prestige at Intrigue 10, but only 150 Prestige at Intrigue 20.
  • Choose your councilors and commanders wisely: they will regularly gain favors on you in exchange for their services in times of war, and use those favors to ask for titles and land.
  • Granting land titles gives you a favor on the new owners.
  • Customize your realm: many new laws (including Europa Universalis-like policy sliders) have been added, so you have stuff to spend those favors on.
  • A reworked tech tree. Building and law prereqs have been spread out over the tree, so that all techs can feel useful depending on your playstyle.
  • Most of VIET Events, Traits and Immersion included in Hide the Jewelry!

Credits

* VIET by the HIP team: cybrxkhan, Aasmul, AnaxXiphos, Arko, Axl Madness, Bertucco, Elvain, EOOQE, Il Moro, Meneth, OrdepNM, Ruwaard, theking1988, Think0028, Zijistark
* Magnate Lords: a couple event pictures have been used, and the idea for the framework how to spawn resources

A big thanks to Jamie550 and his Validator for making debugging a lot easier.

I always play with the standalone versions of CPR and ARKOPack Armoiries by Arko enabled. So those are fully compatible. Hide the Jewelry is not compatible with other large overhaul mods like HIP/EMF or CK2+.

This mod requires Paradox’ game mechanic DLCs:
Charlemagne for viceroys.
Conclave for favors and the revamped council.
Way of Life is not strictly required but recommended because character foci really fit well with the increased importance I gave to character attributes.
The Reaper’s Due is recommended, because province prosperity affects the chance of gaining a resource greatly.

This is the short intro. Some more in depth but far from complete explanations follow further below.

HtJSteam1.jpg HtJSteam2.jpgHtJSteam3.jpg HtJSteam4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Piety and Prestige as political coin

In vanilla, prestige and piety are hardly necessary for anything in the game. It is not uncommon for a human player to end his rule with 10000+ prestige. This makes any actions that give you prestige/piety pretty much pointless. IMO the game is more fun and strategic if you are constantly challenged to seek more prestige and piety to fulfill your goals. To this end many diplomatic actions now come with a cost. I won’t list every single change, but to give a couple examples: revoking a title costs 200 prestige, demanding religious conversion costs 100 piety and educating a child costs 15 prestige.

However the biggest drain on your prestige and piety comes from casus belli. Instead of giving prestige upon victory, declaring war now requires it. For instance, declaring a Holy War costs no less than 500 piety. A de jure county claim costs 300 prestige.

Attributes

To make education your children more interesting, and to make all those events and decisions where you get +1 to this or that stat more meaningful, a lot more importance has been placed on character attributes.

Diplomacy
  • Rather than determined by your tier (king, emperor…), how many commanders you can appoint is determined by Diplomacy. Basically +1 commander per 3 Diplomacy.
Stewardship
  • Affects the opinion of your city vassals. +/-1 opinion per point above/below 10 Stewardship.
Intrigue
  • Affects the opinion of your courtiers and councillors. +/-2 opinion per point above/below 10 Intrigue.
  • Rather than determined by your tier, how many advisors you can appoint is determined by Intrigue. 10 Intrigue is required for the first (or sixth if you will) advisor slot, which has been rebranded as “Right Hand”. 16 intrigue for the second advisor. To ensure having a Right Hand isn’t a liability, any Content char, Friend or Close Relative with acceptable relations is pretty much guaranteed to be a Loyalist.
Learning
  • Affects the opinion of your temple vassals. +/-1 opinion per point above/below 10 Learning.
But the biggest influence attributes have is on the cost of declaring war. Every casus belli is coupled with a character stat. At stat 10 it’s standard cost. At stat 20 it’s half the cost. At stat 5 it's double the usual cost. Below stat 5 you can't use the casus belli.
  • De jure claims and Imperial Reconquest are affected by the Diplomacy stat.
  • Muslim/Pagan/Nomad county conquests, invasions and subjugations are affected by the Martial stat.
  • Merchant republic-related casus belli, Make Tributary, Free Duchy from Nomads are affected by Stewardship. I also added a new Trade War CB. It required a minimum of 12 Stewardship and allows you to conquer a neighbouring county that's on a trade route.
  • Personal claims and Rivalries are affected by Intrigue.
  • Religious casi bell are affected by Learning.
Of lesser importance, changing succession laws also costs prestige now, and different laws are related to a different attribute.
  • Diplomacy: Elective Gavelkind, Feudal Elective
  • Martial: Open Turkish (Muslims start with Primogeniture now)
  • Stewardship: Gavelkind, Seniority, Ultimogeniture
  • Intrigue: Tanistry
  • Learning: Primogeniture
Internal Realm Management

Internal realm intrigue – for instance putting down rebellious vassals and revoking their titles – feels kinda pointless to me due to the harsh demesne size limit, ie you acquire new titles but need to give them away right away or else be smacked with massive penalties. What’s the point of gaining those titles then? To make it more useful, granting titles now gives you a favor on the new owner. I have added many new laws, so a good idea would be to grant land to your councilors, then cash in on the favor to make them vote your way, and get those laws passed.

Besides voluntarily giving out land, your subjects will gain favors on you in times of war, and then later cash those in to ask for a title. The odds they ask for a favor is doubled during a rebellion.
  • The most common, commanders will gain favors (and ask for a land grant). If you have two commanders, the likelihood of every single commander gaining favors is half that than if you had only a single commander. So there’s no need to restrict how many commanders you appoint.
  • If you raise a councillors’ levies during war, they can gain a favor as well. Unlanded councillors will always have a chance to gain favors during war.
  • Less likely than councillors gaining favors, all vassals of whom you’ve raised levies can gain favors. The chance depends on how powerful they are. A vassal 5% as powerful as you is twenty times less likely to gain favors as one equally as powerful as you.
To make it easier to hold a reserve of titles to grant out, Count-level and Baron-level viceroyalties can be granted with respectively Low and Medium Centralization law enabled. There’s also a title decision (right-click on the title shield) to make a viceroyalty hereditary. So a way to manage your excess titles could be to grant them as viceroyalties to the councilors and commanders you expect to gain a favor on you.

Unfortunately cities and temples cannot be granted as viceroyalties, while you’ll still have burgers and bishops asking for titles. Therefore I’ve felt it necessary to minimize the the harsh tax and opinion penalties for going over your demesne limit. This means as a feudal ruler you can hold excess city and temple holdings without much of a problem. They won’t do you much good either though, as you won’t gain taxes or levies from them, and provinces with a disallowed holding type as its primary title won’t generate trading goods.

Every allowing (ie, a castle for a feudal ruler) holding over your demesne limit causes +2% Revolt Risk in your demesne. Combined with the doubled chance of subjects gaining favors on you during rebellions, this tends to still keep you around your demesne limit should you try to go North Korea. ;)

Resources & Trade

Depending on the prosperity level of the province, every province spawns a resource or trading good (using CK2’s artifact system) every 10 to 40 years. There is a resource corresponding to each of the 18 technologies. Slaves are a special case. There are a few provinces at the African edges of the map which produce them, but mostly you get them by raiding and sieging holdings while having Serfdom laws enabled. They can be exchanged via a county-level title decision for the resource produced by that province.

Besides these raw resources, there are also fabricated resources, again corresponding to a technology. You get them by constructing certain buildings in your family palace or in major trade route trading posts, and having the required raw resources. For instance if you have Wool and Dye in your treasury, you can construct the Weaver building in a trade post. Then, depending on Prosperity, every 10 to 40 years, you‘ll get an event allowing you to destroy the Wool and Dye goods and get a Cloth good in return.

The use of these resources is to boost tech in a province or construct buildings. The raw resources can be used for techs and buildings up to level 3. Fabricated resources are needed for level 4 and above. There’s also an ever increasing number of modified vanilla events and decisions which allow you to pay a good instead of ducats as an alternative cost to get something.

Besides using them yourself you can also make a profit simply acting as the middleman between producer and consumer. For the game to see you as a middleman or trader, you need to be a patrician or own a major trading post. Producers of resources are able to sell them to traders at an advantageous price for the traders. Traders are able to buy and sell them from each other at their actual worth, and they can be sold to consumers for a profit.

For inter-AI deals the requirements are rather lax to help keep the goods flowing. As a human you need to have one of several possible relationships to be allowed to trade with a character. These include:
  • Vassal-liege relation
  • Tributary relation
  • Non-aggression pact, most commonly through marriage
  • Being a patrician and having a trading post in their demesne
Every producer who has one of these relations with you will occasionally offer you a trade deal, selling you one of their resources. You are their favored trading partner and they will only (temporarily) turn elsewhere if you refuse a deal they offered. So there’s no need to start micromanaging or to regularly check if for instance a vassal has gotten a new resource yet.

Tech tree and buildings

Shuffled around stuff to reduce the difference between must-have and so-so techs. The major headlines are each unit type now has its own building, unlocked by their own military tech, and all laws have tech prerequisites. The tech cost penalty for being ahead has been reduced to 10% per century. B-lining is now more encouraged.

Combat

I've replaced the combat tactics system with a much simpler system based on the terrain of the province.
  • Archers and Light Cavalry excel on Plains.
  • Light Infantry and Pikemen excel on Mountains and amphibious attacks.
  • Heavy Infantry excels in Forest.
  • Horse Archers excel on Steppe but perform especially bad in Arctic and Forest terrain, as I'd prefer Russia to survive the nomad onslaught.
  • Camels excel in Desert.
  • Elephants excel in Jungle.
Islam and Decadence

New ways of gaining and decreasing decadence have been added.

What are the main ways to reduce decadence?

1) having kids
2) capturing slaves during raids
3) decisions enabled by the Theology focus
4) the charity councilor action

1) For every child one of your dynasty members has, your decadence is reduced by one. So it is in your advantage to spread your dynasty far and wide and give them titles, so they don't suffer from the large court penalty on baby-making. This is the opposite of vanilla where it's best to imprison them.

2) Every religion can raid in Hide the Jewelry, and can capture Slaves provided you have Serfdom laws enabled. For Muslims, three actions are possible with slaves, each of which reduces decadence by 1. They can be sold for some gold, be turned into court eunuchs or mamluks loyal to you, or be turned into harem slaves, which can give you even more children, further reducing decadence.

Decadence is increased by:
· Adultery events.
· Murder plots.
· Every revolt causes +1 decadence.
· A law change by the dynasty head or independent rulers causes +5 decadence.
· Regencies cause on average +1 decadence per year.
· Being over your demesne size limit.

Laws

• As mentioned earlier, Viceroyalty and administration laws are no more. They are replaced by viscountcies and baron-level Castellanies at Centralization 1 & 2, and by council laws increasing rather than decreasing vassal limit.
  • Six law/policy sliders have been added. They are:
    Tellurocracy <-> Thalassocracy
    Religious Tolerance <-> Supremacy
    Plutocracy <-> Aristocracy
    Clergy <-> Nobility
    Itinerant Court <-> Capital City
    Serfdom <-> Free Subjects
  • The tax<->levies sliders can be set individually for each kingdom rather than for the whole realm. The idea is that you can focus your primary kingdom on levies, and secondary kingdoms on taxes, as those won’t provide much levies anyway.
  • Additional Feudal/Burgher… Obligation laws, which increase both taxes and levies, rather than having to choose between the two.
  • All these laws combined, the highest minimum levy contribution of your vassals is now around 50% (at full tech level) rather than 80%. Higher maximum levy contribution is now also possible. The goal is for vassal relations rather than laws to have a bigger impact on how many troops you get.
Nomad rebels

A new revolter type has been added. These will appear in de jure Tartaria, steppe and desert instead of nationalist and peasant rebels. They don’t override religious and heretic rebels. In desert terrain, the revolt leader will be a Muslim nomad of one of the three main Muslim branches. On steppe and in Tartaria, the leader will have a random Altaic culture and a random religion out of a list of seven fitting ones. What makes them special, is that when they successfully siege a province, they will get extra troops based on how many empty holdings the province has. The goal is to have new hordes dynamically arise rather than suddenly having 40000 Seljuk Turks on your doorstep regardless of the state of the word.

Last edited:
Didn't happen to me yet, but did you change the new childhood events? For me the child almost always get the opposite trait - where in the old events, they gain what I had in mind.

Great work!

edit

Question: Can I use this mod and a No-India mod as well?

Last edited:
Didn't happen to me yet, but did you change the new childhood events? For me the child almost always get the opposite trait - where in the old events, they gain what I had in mind.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. With "old events", do you mean pre-Conclave? And with new events the Conclave ones? And with "childhood events" do you mean events educators get that allows them to pick certain childhood traits? Or do you mean events that transform childhood traits into adult traits? For instance Playful leads to Shy instead of Gregarious?

Whatever the case, in the education system there's a random element involved. You're more likely to get certain childhood traits related to certain childhood foci, but it's not a guarantee. Whatever it is you're seeing, is probably a confirmation bias: you only the remember the few cases education didn't turn out as you expected, as those had a bigger emotional impact on you than the cases education did turn out as expected.

HtJ does not change these events, except giving a relationship boost between educator and child, when the educator picks a choice that leads to a positive trait for the child.

Question: Can I use this mod and a No-India mod as well?

I can't say for sure without knowing what the files the specific mod you want to use, changes. HtJ does change de jure landed titles and trade route paths, which is something a map modification mod is likely to do as well. So without knowing anything more, my answer would be you can't use this mod in combination with a no-india mod. Though I expect making these two mods compatible would only requiring editing or removing three HtJ files.

As (I assume) both CK+ and HtJ edit the same files, the answer is likely no.
What features from CK+ are you missing btw? I've never played CK+.
More historically accurate...for example what is called West Francia and Middle Francia in vanilla...Ck2+ calls them what they acually were called in 769ad...Austrasia(Middle Francia) and Neustria(West Francia) and the British Isles are in their Saxon/Pictish/Gaelic language. The designers certainly did their homework. Mechanics work a little different too. I would certainly give it a try.

Really interesting mod. I really like what you did with piety/prestige being used as a kind of currency. As well as the stat requirements for certain things. I agree, you should check out ck2+ to see if you like it enough to make a compatible version of your mod for it.
A few things are kind of buggy:
When you click on a holding you can see every building type possible, regardless of if you can build it. Not game breaking but annoying. And occasionally I get camel buildings in provinces that don't make sense. Also hordes seem to break apart very quickly, with their khans constantly becoming independent. I only played a little bit, but that's what I noticed. Also with the new DLC thats about to come out conquering nomad lands will build tribals in the province. This may mess up your revolt system (which I like more).
BTW, there were some interesting changes to religions. I assume those came from VIET? VIET is really cool then

This is really interesting but I'm confused about intrigue changing the amount of advisors you can have. Isn't it usually preferable to have fewer advisors so you have a smaller pool of votes and fewer favours to ask? So in this case having high intrigue could be a detriment right? Is that intentional?

Is there a way to download this mod without steam?

I could post it on ModDB.

I agree, you should check out ck2+ to see if you like it enough to make a compatible version of your mod for it.

Would love to. The problem is Crusader kings is a game which require many many hours to play, so it's impossible to just quickly check out a mod. :-s

When you click on a holding you can see every building type possible, regardless of if you can build it. Not game breaking but annoying.

These are all the unique cultural buildings. I changed it so that when you change culture, buildings of your previous culture don't disappear as in vanilla. The unfortunate side effect is those long building lists you see. :(

And occasionally I get camel buildings in provinces that don't make sense.

Yep, noticed that too. Fixed in an as of yet unuploaded version.

Also hordes seem to break apart very quickly, with their khans constantly becoming independent.

Myself I haven't played vanilla Horse Lords, so I can't compare myself. Has anyone else noticed a difference? In any case, I haven't changed anything that could directly caused it. However I too would prefer less breaking up of hordes, so that nomads can be a bigger menace. I was thinking, currently revolt casus belli don't require any prestige, as I didn't want to make it harder to rebel against the human player. But perhaps I could add a prestige requirement to use a rebellion casus belli against an AI liege. That could reduce hordes breaking up.

Also with the new DLC thats about to come out conquering nomad lands will build tribals in the province. This may mess up your revolt system (which I like more)

I think that should be easy to fix. It's just a matter of changing the conditions when this or that revolt type happens.

This is really interesting but I'm confused about intrigue changing the amount of advisors you can have. Isn't it usually preferable to have fewer advisors so you have a smaller pool of votes and fewer favours to ask? So in this case having high intrigue could be a detriment right? Is that intentional?

Good point. I guess it partially depends on playing style. A difference between vanilla and my mod is that in vanilla the number of powerful vassals that want to be on the council is always one less than the number of council seats you have. In my mod however the number of vassals wanting to be on the council is fixed at five. This means an extra advisor slot makes it easier to appoint competent people as councillors rather than those whining vassals. For me at least I feel this advantage outweighs the negative.

Anyway, I'm quite busy now, but I'll try to make a Reaper's Due compatible version by - say - mid September.

Is the AI smart about requesting/handing out titles?

For Example:

- Titles inside the duchy of the ruler's capital should neither be requested nor granted, IMO, unless the ruler has no other titles.

- Vassals should be granted counties within their current or neighboring duchies if it can be helped.

By popular request ;) I updated the mod on Steam. Notes:

I mod my game for personal use depending on what country I happen to be playing at the moment, which is now Ingria turned Muslim, controller of the Baltic-Black Sea trade. So the notes for this patch are centered on that gameplay experience.

Focus on Foci

I want Foci to be more meaningful, more of a strategic choice. I also want to prevent certain common decisions from becoming too repetitive. Therefore I’ve added a Focus requirement for many decisions (provided you have Way of Life).

· Theology enables the Hajj, Ramadan, Sadaqa and Ash’ari school decisions.
· Family focus also enables the Ramadan decision. As a bonus, giving gifts to your wives on the occasion of Ramadan now gives you favors on them. Very nice if you have high women’s rights, and make all your wives councilors. :D
· Business focus enables borrowing from Jews.
· Scholarship focus enables the Mu’tazila school.
· Seduction and Intrigue enable the “Employ a eunuch” decision, giving you a eunuch with high diplomacy or intrigue stats. Useful early game when you don’t yet have a large realm to draw good councilors from.

The other “Employ X” decisions are better with the right focus. Eg “Recruit Soldier” gives +3 Martial to the character if you have the War focus.

Slavery is also affected by your focus:
· Capturing slaves when sieging holdings with raiders is more likely if you have the Hunting focus.
· Selling these slaves gives you 30 more gold if you have the Business focus.
· Making eunuchs gives an extra -1 decadence if you have the Intrigue focus.
· Making harem slaves give an extra -1 decadence if you have the Seduction focus. With that focus, the Time to Tumble event is twice as likely to occur.
· With the War focus, you can turn a slave into a Mamluk. He gets a leader trait.

Most councilor events are now double as likely to occur if you have the right focus. For instance fabricating a claim is twice as likely with the Intrigue focus. Converting a province’s religion is boosted with Theology. The extra taxes event is twice as likely with Business focus, etcetera. Which focus boosts which councilor job is mentioned in the in-game tooltips.

In an attempt to spicen up foci I was using less than the others:
· Scholarship gives Religious Tolerance: -1% revolt risk in demesne provinces with a different religion.
· Business gives Cultural Tolerance: -1% revolt risk in provinces with a different culture.
· I also wanted the Mystic/Scholar lifestyle trait to give +10 infidel opinion, but that modifier doesn’t seem to work??
· (Untested) Hunting gives +10 tribal opinion.
· (Untested) Family focus lifestyle traits give +5 Dynasty opinion and +20 Spouse opinion.

Decadence

The odds of dynasty members becoming decadent, and the resulting decadence gain, have been reduced somewhat. Other ways of affecting decadence have been added.

As before, the three main ways of reducing decadence are 1) your dynasty having children, 2) raiding and sieging holdings, and capturing slaves in the process, and 3 ) the decisions enabled by the Theology focus. The Charity councilor action now also reduces decadence.

Ways by which decadence increases now include:
· Adultery events
· Every revolt causes +1 decadence.
· A law change by the dynasty head or independent rulers causes +5 decadence.
· Regencies cause on average +1 decadence per year.
· Being over your demesne size limit.

Decadence is tricky to balance right, so feedback on how easily you and the AI are able to cope with decadence is always welcome.

Nomads

I’ve been trying to give the nomads a little more teeth. So far with little success, but well I keep trying. ;)

In any case, I would suggest to play with the Stable Nomad Realms game option, so they don’t splinter after succession.

Some current experiments:
· When a nomad’s current population is higher than their potential population (due to losing land in a war most likely), they are more likely to declare war, and get event troops dependent on how much they’re over their population limit. This is supposed to simulate migrations.
· When an AI nomad grants a title to a vassal, they get 600 event troops. In theory, this should cause snowballing if I make the granted troops large enough.
· On average every 100 years, a large nomad invasion will erupt from Mongolia (but with a random Altaic culture). Troop size increases with the year: +10000 troops for every century after 800. Disabled if you disable the Mongol Invasion game option.

Trade

· The Trade Practices tech now increases trade post limit linearly, +1 for every tech level. Untested for what this means for merchant republics – I have never played those so far.
· Feudal rulers can build several levels of a “Family Enclave” building in the trade post in their capital province. Every level requires more dynasty members to control trade posts on the trade route your capital is on.
· I added a decision to seize the trade post of a province you own. Accessed by right-clicking on the coat of arms of the province. This means you can give trade route provinces to viceroys without fear of permanently losing the ability to build trade posts there.

New holding slots

I don’t like that the Reaper's Due option to add holding slots to a province is a random event. Therefore I turned it into a province decision accessed by right-clicking on the county’s coat of arms. The requirements are:
· Only once for each ruler
· Province must have prosperity level 3
· It doesn’t yet have 7 holding slots.

Unlike the random event, the decision immediately adds a holding as well:
· Building a castle requires 500 prestige and the War or Family focus.
· Building a city requires 500 gold and the Business focus.
· Building a Temple requires 500 Piety and the Theology or Scholarship focus.

Various stuff

· Craven characters are afraid of Cruel characters ( = better relations).
· Early Pikemen Barracks now give +0.5 fort levels, providing an additional way to stop Viking river raids.
· “Research Mil/Econ/Cultural Tech” councilor job events have been elaborated, allowing you to pick a specific technology to advance one level in the province.
· Converting a province’s religion is three times less likely, however the Theology focus doubles the odds of the Proselytize councilor job, and I added a “Convert a province” ambition which makes the conversion event 50% more likely. Bringing the total odds back to the previous level.
· Overal 20% higher chance of councilors/commanders/vassals gaining a favor on you. They are 4 times as likely to gain favors when you have a revolt war going on, and 4 times less likely to ask when you’re at war helping an ally. As with decadence, I’m regularly tweaking the numbers here to try and find a right balance between gaining and losing titles and favors.
· An event has been added to the “Oversee Construction” councilor job. It gives a province a +20% movement speed bonus for 50 years.
· When you have a female councilor with a favor on you, but women aren’t allowed to hold land, they might transfer the favor to a family member: a son, brother, or their husband or father.
· I wanted to add some more ways to use prestige for peaceful purposes. Therefore the Training Grounds buildings (from the Legalism tech) and Translation House (from hospitals) now require prestige instead of gold to build.
· Given the importance of accumulating prestige and piety in Hide the Jewelry, I didn’t like my ruler dying unexpectedly due to “natural causes”, and losing all my precious prestige/piety. Therefore I’ve reduced the chance of dying due to natural causes to zero for the ages between 10 and 50. To compensate, child mortality is now much higher. Warning: this may make your ruler immortal between ages 10 and 50 if you don’t own The Reaper’s Due.
· I prefer a religion’s holy sites to require some work to trigger the benefit. Therefore the catholic Köln holy site has been moved to Nidaros.
· The free +5 prestige for independent Iqta rulers has been removed (or rather, countered by a character modifier that gives you -5 prestige per month).
· I added decisions to switch to Tanistry/Seniority/Primogeniture, with the same requirements as switching inheritance laws normally, with the exception of needing to have positive relations with all your vassals. This seems to have fixed the widespread occurrence of elective monarchies wherever you look…

Reactions:
With the extra focus on Foci would it be possible to reduce the cooldown time needed to change focuses? It seems like it takes forever to change focuses in vanilla.

I think that would make the choice what focus to pick less strategic. For instance then you could switch to Theology, go on Ramadan, then profit from the +3 Learning to declare holy war on someone, and shortly after switch back to War to get extra troops from the +3 Martial.

It's an easy change to do yourself though. In common/defines.lua, change "CHANGE_FOCUS_YEARS = 5," to whatever number you like.

A compatibility patch for Monks & Mystics has been released.

Inspired by EU3, I also added two law sliders: Land<->Naval boosting either inland or coastal/river provinces, and a second slider ranging from Religious Tolerance to Religious Unity. Freely revoking titles of other religions now requires a focus on Religious Unity. Five other sliders are planned, but those will have to wait after I've finishing my ongoing game.

Centralization II now enables granting viceroyalty baronies (called Castellanies). Going over your demesne limit now caused +2% revolt risk per holding rather than +1%.

If your player character is ill, you can now right-click on your heir for the decisions "Pray with Heir" and "Prepare Heir", allowing you to transfer respectively Piety or Prestige to your heir. Normally this happens at an efficiency of 50% (meaning you pay eg 100 prestige and the heir gets 50 prestige), but with the foci Scholarship for piety and Family for prestige, this can be increased to 100%

I've replaced the combat tactics system with a much simpler system based on the terrain of the province. The idea is to get rid of the tedious process of having to concentrate specific unit types in one flank, and instead make what unit type to focus on a larger strategic decision based on what terrain you usually expect to be fighting in.

• Archers and Light Cavalry excel on Plains.
  • Light Infantry and Pikemen excel on Mountains and amphibious attacks.
  • Heavy Infantry excels in Forest.
  • Horse Archers excel on Steppe but perform especially bad in Arctic and Forest terrain, as I'd prefer Russia to survive the nomad onslaught.
  • Camels excel in Desert.
  • Elephants excel in Jungle.

The old tactics can still trigger if the flank leader has the right trait. For instance Cavalry Leader would enable Harrass. So those are the only times it would still be worth concentrating one specific unit type in one flank.

Many other small changes and improvements behind the scenes have been made, but none that would immediately be noticeable by a player.