• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of September 2016

Good afternoon all. It's Thursday meaning that we are due a development diary for the upcoming EU4 expansion: Rights of Man.

Last week we gorged on five new features: Disinherit, Strengthen Government, Prussian Monarchy, Debase Currency and Abandon Personal Union. Today we'll be taking a light snack with just one, which is in no way related to me being busy with moving home at the moment.

Late game you could well have fought against or even played as a Revolutionary Republic. In the 1792 Start date you can enjoy spreading the revolution as France but mechanically any European nation can get into the mood for it. As part of the Rights of Man expansion, these Revolutionary Republics will have access to their own Revolutionary Republican Factions system, akin to Ming or Merchant Republics.

eu4_12.png

Three factions will wrestle for influence in your nation, which you can boost using ADM, DIP and MIL points.

Jacobins cost ADM to boost and gain influence from Republican Tradition being high. When they are the leading faction they have the following effects:

Global Unrest -2
Build Cost -15%
National Tax +15%
Diplomatic Reputation -2

Imperialists cost DIP to boost. If their influence is high and republican tradition is below 40 then they can seize control to turn your nation into a Revolutionary Empire.

Diplomatic Reputation +1
State Maintenance Cost -25%
Subject Liberty Desire -20
Republican Tradition -0.5 per year

Girondists cost MIL to boost. They want to bring the revolution to other nations. They gain influence from being at war and lose it from being at peace.

Land Forcelimit +20%
Manpower Recovery +20%
Discipline +5%
Aggressive Expansion Impact +20%

So essentially you have your stabilizing faction, your empire building faction and your warring faction. Balance their effects and bonuses to either spread the empire far and wide or consolidate your holdings. If you allow yourself to "stabilize" into a revolutionary Empire, you will leave the faction system and return to a monarchy, albeit the best* monarchy in the game.

As is often the case, there are new events to coincide with them, usually affecting the influence of your factions.

eu4_14.png

Revolutionary Republic Factions will be a paid feature in the upcoming Rights of Man expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 Prussia Patch on 11th October 2016.

If you thirst for more (and why wouldn't you?) perhaps I can interest you in checking out the feature stream for Rights of Man with myself and Johan

*Not counting Hordes, of course.

Reactions:
Plz nerf awkward half-price advisors and 50~200 monach points boost of estates.. They are too powerful and make factions suck. And no one wants to play until late game, mainly for awkward high-level forts.

Reactions:
Not sure why I have a sudden urge to sing some revolutionary songs... ;)

Although I must say that the factions seem to be France-specific, given the names and icons. Is this intended, or will there be cultural or national variations?

As a sidenote a mistake snuck into the diary, with "Royalists" rather than "Imperialists".

Do you hear the people sing... :p

Reactions:
Honestly think that estates are a much better way of representing internal politics than the faction system. Sad to see estates and estate interactions removed for revolutionary empires. Not that it's a government form I care much about but it kinda feels like a downgrade (although lots of new events are always nice). I'd rather see that the estates system were expanded upon (there's a lot of potential for improvements there).

Reactions:
Royalists cost DIP to boost. If their influence is high and republican tradition is below 40 then they can seize control to turn your nation into a Revolutionary Empire.

If you allow yourself to "stabilize" into a revolutionary Empire, you will leave the faction system and return to a monarchy, albeit the best* monarchy in the game.

That definitely sounds more interesting and less tedious than the current way of becoming a revolutionary empire. From the wiki:
To get the revolutionary empire government, you need to bring your republican tradition to 0 with the Revolutionary Republic government type by means other than re-electing your current ruler. Re-electing your current ruler while your republican tradition is below 20 will change your government to a republican dictatorship. Concretely, you should select all event options that reduce your republican tradition while being careful not to re-elect under 20 republican tradition.

Questions: why anyone can get revolutionarry factions and not only France, but other special government are country specific? Could they not be made available to all country meeting certain criteria?

As far as I am aware there were no province named Gironde outside of France, nor a St-Jacques street...

To be clear: I am happy it is not country locked, but would like to see the other special government more widely available.

EDIT: as all name are French specific, could we get the imperialist called bonapartiste?

Reactions:
i would really like to become revolutionary a little before even if is ahistorical , also can you become revolutionary in 1700 or 1750? wikis and players say different things

L'new French Unit sprites, honhonhon.

Looks kinda boring to be honest.

Instead of transforming interesting historical dynamics into gameplay, you shoehorn (bad) gameplay to fit the historical dynamic.

The ming system has always been terrible, is not particularly interesting in Merchant republics either, so i don't get why you're once again trying to use this feature as part of a paying DLC.

By the way those event affecting which party is in power should be much more powerful in their effect. You'd think proclaiming the consititution would at least give the girondins +50 power rather than +5.
+5 doesn't change anything about the balance and can be cancelled in one click and a few MP.
Maybe more impact from events would make the feature a little bit more interesting

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is there any free features in 1.18 ? Dev Diary after dev diary, we see paid feature, paid feature, paid feature etc... Aside change in technology, can someone recall me the free feature for 1.18 ??
Tech, culture, abandon PU...
Were you expecting a whole free expansion after 3 years?

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is SUPER dumb this should NOT be a paid feature, I can literally mod the exact same factions into the game.
I don't think anyone is going to buy the DLC for this particular reason either so I honestly don't see the point, but whatever is not my company lol
I'm sorry, but that's a stupid argument.
On the same grounds, I bet you could make your own lemonade juice, but you probably buy one from the store anyway.

Having an incentive to play late game is good, but is losing estate bonuses really something to look forward to?

I'm looking forward to the flavor and depth, not everything that makes the game more challenging is bad. The Girondins seem pretty good with +5 discipline.

The factions are just for Revolutionary Republics, Revolutionary Empires still get estates.

And you can transition to Revolutionary Empire if you must have estates.

My point still stands, no one is buying BECAUSE of this particular thing, mainly because Factions are already in the game and this is purely flavor, I will be buying it too, but it just seems silly to me to make THIS Factions paid when all the others aren't like seriously this DLC would lose zero value if this was in the patch lol
Not tipping the scale in favor of the feature or not, but you are aware that it's not only the factions but the associated events as well right?