• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of September 2016

Good afternoon all. It's Thursday meaning that we are due a development diary for the upcoming EU4 expansion: Rights of Man.

Last week we gorged on five new features: Disinherit, Strengthen Government, Prussian Monarchy, Debase Currency and Abandon Personal Union. Today we'll be taking a light snack with just one, which is in no way related to me being busy with moving home at the moment.

Late game you could well have fought against or even played as a Revolutionary Republic. In the 1792 Start date you can enjoy spreading the revolution as France but mechanically any European nation can get into the mood for it. As part of the Rights of Man expansion, these Revolutionary Republics will have access to their own Revolutionary Republican Factions system, akin to Ming or Merchant Republics.

eu4_12.png

Three factions will wrestle for influence in your nation, which you can boost using ADM, DIP and MIL points.

Jacobins cost ADM to boost and gain influence from Republican Tradition being high. When they are the leading faction they have the following effects:

Global Unrest -2
Build Cost -15%
National Tax +15%
Diplomatic Reputation -2

Imperialists cost DIP to boost. If their influence is high and republican tradition is below 40 then they can seize control to turn your nation into a Revolutionary Empire.

Diplomatic Reputation +1
State Maintenance Cost -25%
Subject Liberty Desire -20
Republican Tradition -0.5 per year

Girondists cost MIL to boost. They want to bring the revolution to other nations. They gain influence from being at war and lose it from being at peace.

Land Forcelimit +20%
Manpower Recovery +20%
Discipline +5%
Aggressive Expansion Impact +20%

So essentially you have your stabilizing faction, your empire building faction and your warring faction. Balance their effects and bonuses to either spread the empire far and wide or consolidate your holdings. If you allow yourself to "stabilize" into a revolutionary Empire, you will leave the faction system and return to a monarchy, albeit the best* monarchy in the game.

As is often the case, there are new events to coincide with them, usually affecting the influence of your factions.

eu4_14.png

Revolutionary Republic Factions will be a paid feature in the upcoming Rights of Man expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 Prussia Patch on 11th October 2016.

If you thirst for more (and why wouldn't you?) perhaps I can interest you in checking out the feature stream for Rights of Man with myself and Johan

*Not counting Hordes, of course.

Reactions:
I've never actually seen a revolutionary country in game before, although I have only played 1 game right through to 1821 so far.

Whenever I see them they are usually kind of pathetic and quickly ground to dust.

Those bonuses aren't too enticing, especially since you're giving up estates at the same time, which have good benefits and less drawbacks.

Yeah, I don't really love how the faction/estate features weirdly compete with one another.

Reactions:
No offense or anything, but isn't this quite easy to mod in for any modder with adequate skill?

Reactions:
Is there any free features in 1.18 ? Dev Diary after dev diary, we see paid feature, paid feature, paid feature etc... Aside change in technology, can someone recall me the free feature for 1.18 ??

Reactions:
Whenever I see them they are usually kind of pathetic and quickly ground to dust.

Yeah, I don't really love how the faction/estate features weirdly compete with one another.

¨The main problem beeing is that in order to become revolutionary you need to be in a bad spou 25+ loans so when the Ai does it it's in tzhe shitter, but we players can have a ton of fun becoming even more OP 3 mil troops for 50 ducats a month sounds great

Is there any free features in 1.18 ? Dev Diary after dev diary, we see paid feature, paid feature, paid feature etc... Aside change in technology, can someone recall me the free feature for 1.18 ??

The Technology was a pretty huge one, the thing that's going to change the entire game up and what makes this patch ecxiting

Reactions:
This is SUPER dumb this should NOT be a paid feature, I can literally mod the exact same factions into the game.
I don't think anyone is going to buy the DLC for this particular reason either so I honestly don't see the point, but whatever is not my company lol

I would buy DLC even if they just added advisers with face of Pikachu. For some reason I love the game and I love Paradox and as such I have complete trust in what they do deliver.

Reactions:
Does the process to become a Revolutionary Empire get changed? And is the bug that prevented a Revolutionary Empire with Napoleon at its head corrected?

Reactions:
Well, the removal of estates for this too makes this far less interesting. I thought that had been changed with this, but now I'm unsure on what to think.

Reactions:
Girondins look like the way to go. Jacobins and Royalists don't look very useful, -15% build cost this late in the game is a waste.

If the tag bonuises still exist I can imagine Jacobins being Great for building tons and tons of forcelimit buildings since your army will be dirt cheap.... would be a waste for more income and such yes, but for the buildings with immediate payoff it sounds great

I think they need to bring republican factions into the estates area and let you use then in a similar way - I was annoyed that Venice didn't get estates and it seems that trend continues

The game has tons of bugs and half made features. And they spend time and money on adding what is basically Merchant Republic factions to a specific government .
This specific government however is the last one available and can be acquired in the last 40 years which are rarely played to.

I would rather prefer to have something done for 4k monitors instead of adding functionality to rev empire/republic.

Reactions:
I would buy DLC even if they just added advisers with face of Pikachu. For some reason I love the game and I love Paradox and as such I have complete trust in what they do deliver.
My point still stands, no one is buying BECAUSE of this particular thing, mainly because Factions are already in the game and this is purely flavor, I will be buying it too, but it just seems silly to me to make THIS Factions paid when all the others aren't like seriously this DLC would lose zero value if this was in the patch lol

Reactions:
I would rather prefer to have something done for 4k monitors instead of adding functionality to rev empire/republic.
4k monitors? That is a completely different task for other persons within PDS. Has nothing to do with this and wouldn't be a part of a DLC.

Last edited:
Reactions: