• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of September 2016

Good afternoon all. It's Thursday meaning that we are due a development diary for the upcoming EU4 expansion: Rights of Man.

Last week we gorged on five new features: Disinherit, Strengthen Government, Prussian Monarchy, Debase Currency and Abandon Personal Union. Today we'll be taking a light snack with just one, which is in no way related to me being busy with moving home at the moment.

Late game you could well have fought against or even played as a Revolutionary Republic. In the 1792 Start date you can enjoy spreading the revolution as France but mechanically any European nation can get into the mood for it. As part of the Rights of Man expansion, these Revolutionary Republics will have access to their own Revolutionary Republican Factions system, akin to Ming or Merchant Republics.

eu4_12.png

Three factions will wrestle for influence in your nation, which you can boost using ADM, DIP and MIL points.

Jacobins cost ADM to boost and gain influence from Republican Tradition being high. When they are the leading faction they have the following effects:

Global Unrest -2
Build Cost -15%
National Tax +15%
Diplomatic Reputation -2

Imperialists cost DIP to boost. If their influence is high and republican tradition is below 40 then they can seize control to turn your nation into a Revolutionary Empire.

Diplomatic Reputation +1
State Maintenance Cost -25%
Subject Liberty Desire -20
Republican Tradition -0.5 per year

Girondists cost MIL to boost. They want to bring the revolution to other nations. They gain influence from being at war and lose it from being at peace.

Land Forcelimit +20%
Manpower Recovery +20%
Discipline +5%
Aggressive Expansion Impact +20%

So essentially you have your stabilizing faction, your empire building faction and your warring faction. Balance their effects and bonuses to either spread the empire far and wide or consolidate your holdings. If you allow yourself to "stabilize" into a revolutionary Empire, you will leave the faction system and return to a monarchy, albeit the best* monarchy in the game.

As is often the case, there are new events to coincide with them, usually affecting the influence of your factions.

eu4_14.png

Revolutionary Republic Factions will be a paid feature in the upcoming Rights of Man expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 Prussia Patch on 11th October 2016.

If you thirst for more (and why wouldn't you?) perhaps I can interest you in checking out the feature stream for Rights of Man with myself and Johan

*Not counting Hordes, of course.

Reactions:
Nice work, first Ming had factions as a part of standard game, then in Res Republica you copied and pasted faction system to the merchant republics with different modifiers and few new events and now you copy and paste this system to the rev. republic with different modifiers and few new events.
Also Im sure most of those events will be like the one in the screenshot and we won't see a nice chain events with depth, just some random +X% modifier for 10 years of 5 rebel size stack in Iceland.
As I said in last dev diary I dont like the direction those DLCs go, just more old features with new text and more buttons that give X of something for Y of monarch mana/other something. What I'd like to see is more chain events, something really in-depth, not the random 'your monarch is insane -2 stability' or 'blame the advisor'.

Reactions:
WTF? Girondists are Militarists? Imperials are Diplomatic? And I'm a little tired of the three factions system that gets used for every government type, I was hoping for a system involving the Reign of Terror.

With three factions, however, I would have at least done it as Administrative Girondists, Militarist Jacobins, and Diplomatic Royalists, with a Revolutionary Empire forming based on a series of events that any large revolutionary state could go through.

I will defend the Estates being gone, however. That was kind of the point of the Revolution... that the Clergy and Nobility were kicked out by the Bourgeoisie and the Bourgeoisie then turned on itself. Same deal with the Merchant Republics, except their factions leave something to be desired.
The Gironde was the war party to be fair, and advocated for an expansionist foreign policy.

The problem is that Paradox is trying to have every faction have positive effects, when in reality they should probably have negative ones.

Reactions:
Nice work, first Ming had factions as a part of standard game, then in Res Republica you copied and pasted faction system to the merchant republics with different modifiers and few new events and now you copy and paste this system to the rev. republic with different modifiers and few new events.
Also Im sure most of those events will be like the one in the screenshot and we won't see a nice chain events with depth, just some random +X% modifier for 10 years of 5 rebel size stack in Iceland.
As I said in last dev diary I dont like the direction those DLCs go, just more old features with new text and more buttons that give X of something for Y of monarch mana/other something. What I'd like to see is more chain events, something really in-depth, not the random 'your monarch is insane -2 stability' or 'blame the advisor'.

Lol

Reactions:
WTF? Girondists are Militarists? Imperials are Diplomatic? And I'm a little tired of the three factions system that gets used for every government type, I was hoping for a system involving the Reign of Terror.

With three factions, however, I would have at least done it as Administrative Girondists, Militarist Jacobins, and Diplomatic Royalists, with a Revolutionary Empire forming based on a series of events that any large revolutionary state could go through.

blame wikipedia:

Foreign policy[edit]
In the Legislative Assembly, the Girondins represented the principle of democratic revolution within and of patriotic defiance to the European powers. They supported an aggressive foreign policy. Brissot proposed an ambitious military plan to spread the Revolution—one that Napoleon later achieved.[7] He called on the Convention to dominate Western Europe by conquering the Rhineland, Poland, and Holland, with a goal of creating a protective ring of satellite republics in Britain, Spain and Italy by 1795. The Girondins called for war against Austria, arguing it would rally patriots around the Revolution, liberate oppressed peoples from despotism, and test the loyalty of King Louis XVI. The Girondins were thus the war party in 1792-93.[8]

The real problem is that the faction identities were not so distinct (Girondins were mostly Jacobins, after all...) and that the faction identities weren't really stable thorough the history of the French Revolution. Saying the Girondins were "the war party" is only true at a particular time and place. Not as an inherent feature of their party.

But that's EU4 for you. Just like countries are predefined by a hodgepodge of one-off ideas that happened because of specific circumstances in real life, we shouldn't actors in the French Revolution to be depicted any more reasonably.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The problem is that Paradox is trying to have every faction have positive effects, when in reality they should probably have negative ones.

They do... did you miss the +20% aggressive expansion impact? Imperialists reduce RT? Jacobins lower diplo rep?

Reactions:
They do... did you miss the +20% aggressive expansion impact? Imperialists reduce RT? Jacobins lower diplo rep?
Diprep and AE are fake maluses. AE is only used in peace deals, you can switch faction out before signing the peace. Same with Dip rep before signing alliances or vassals.

The Gironde was the war party to be fair, and advocated for an expansionist foreign policy.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I just assumed that the Girondists, being the "moderates," were also the peace party.

I have only one thing to say... long live the empire!

Actually I have two things to say
Long live the empire! Long live the emperor!

3 Faction System is due to EU is based on 3 kinds of points, ADM DIP and MIL. Not too much to do with it

I just find it boring, kind of half-assed. I'd rather see more mechanics like the Parliament, which functions rather different from other governments.

Reactions:
True I think that requires a major rework of the Recolution triggers, as it is now only a death spiral nation can meet the requirements so the revolution is saddly irrelevant unless you choose to take it, maybe they can rework the triggers, it should be rare, but also happen to strong countries.
Absolutely this.

This is the truth. People even joke that the reason this mechanic wasn't removed from merchant Republics and replaced by an improved mechanic is because it was paid DLC. It is simply inferior to the well thought out estate system.

Reactions:
Those bonuses aren't too enticing, especially since you're giving up estates at the same time, which have good benefits and less drawbacks.

Yeah, I agree that the whole MR or Ming faction gameplay felt pretty boring playing as them so I'm certainly not excited to see this applying to another government type. On the other hand, let's not forget that under the revolutionary republic, nobles and the church lost their power in France and many churches and buildings (especially those linked with nobility) were burnt or looted so the classical estate mechanics with nobles and clergy would be a complete miss on the historical point of view. It would probably deserve something a bit different, maybe like the revolutionary HRE style suggested by @OldmansHQ even if it would probably come in too late to add much incentive in investing in it.

But really, estates don't fit it and factions are boring.

Yeah, I agree that the whole MR or Ming faction gameplay felt pretty boring playing as them so I'm certainly not excited to see this applying to another government type. On the other hand, let's not forget that under the revolutionary republic, nobles and the church lost their power in France and many churches and buildings (especially those linked with nobility) were burnt or looted so the classical estate mechanics with nobles and clergy would be a complete miss on the historical point of view. It would probably deserve something a bit different, maybe like the revolutionary HRE style suggested by @OldmansHQ even if it would probably come in too late to add much incentive in investing in it.

But really, estates don't fit it and factions are boring.

I made this suggestion for Revolutionary governments. Is this any better?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/centers-of-enlightenment.869418/

I've also done thinking on Merchant Republics and the Celestial Empire, but I'm not really sure how I'd handle those, since I don't know much about their history.

I hope someone already pointed this out, but there is an obvious English mistake in the screenshot

"they are abhorred by the terror" should be "they abhor the terror"

I realize these appear in all dev diaries and don't make it into the game usually but I imagine that's because people notice them so here we go!