• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 28th January 2016

Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.

Reactions:
Slovak culture :eek:

Reactions:
Ok, a move to a nice direction as far as the map is concerned, but I really hate the culture map.

It offers nothing new or interesting because the whole problem with ingame cultures is having sharp divides. You switched Welsh to "British" and re-added Highlander culture? How will that make up for interesting interactions etc. What about the divide between Bulgarian-Greek-Romanian, Byzantine-Venetian-S Italian, Levantine everything, Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian or Danish/Swedish-Low German? they're much closer than Basque and Andalusian, which are in the same group. Occitan/Catalan? Finnish/Karelian?? (like, for real?)

Game needs at least one more tier of culture groupings that can overlap with the existing one (like regions-areas-continents do for provinces). Only then tags can interact with and consolidate ethnographic and/or geographic regions better.

Reactions:
Very much disapprove of Turkish being added to the Arabic cultures group...

Reactions:
1.15 is barely out, we haven't even gotten 1.15.1. It's safe to say that 1.16 is at least 1 month away. So you can probably start playing, if you don't mind reading new dev diaries with cool, new features.

at least 2 months.

Reactions:
About the culture changes:

• I like the Carpathian/Danubian group with Hungarian and Romanian, and Transylvanian in it as well. This was basically what I and others suggested to stop the never-ending discussion about this place in Transylvania is German, this one should be Romanian, but wait, and the Székelys, etc... Transylvanian will be tolerated both by Romanian and Hungarian countries, and represents well the mix of culture there.
  • I'm glad Slovak culture is made into the game. I'm not convinced yet they should be in the Carpathian and not West Slavic group, but I can understand for gameplay reasons. Now, I'll want to know what country will have Slovak has a primary culture.
  • More Irish provinces, possibly an Old-English culture and a Lowland/Highland divide, this stuff is good.
  • Still waiting for a slovene culture.
  • I'm sad the Finno-Ugric group has been divided and given to Scandinavian, Baltic and Russian. It had its charm.
  • I really don't like the return of the turko-semitic group. Turks, Azéris and Turkmen grouped together made sense and was original, and if Turkey wanted to accept Arab cultures, Humanist group was the way to go. Now, someone forming Arabia is going to have Turkish in their accepted cultures, which is silly.

Reactions:
You're referring to the 0% on the right of mil points?

Anyways thanks for reworking ireland, now it will be way more fun i guess :D

Reactions:
Again adding Turkish into the Arabic culture tree...........
Why? Turks in that time period and in other times were more similar to Persians then to Arabs.
If you want to make it more about culture then language you should add Turkish with Azerbaijani into the a new culture group called Turko-Persian or Turko-Iranian which makes more sense then the abomination of Turko-Semitic.

Reactions:
Yay! You've added the Carpathian culture group and made Transylvania its own culture. Many thanks to the modders that got this into the game!

Reactions:
I like how you've given fricking Sligo its own ideas, while a major power like Bukhara still has generic Horde ideas. Oh, and I also like how you've returned to the old Turko-Semitic culture group, despite how little sense it makes on any level.

I think that now I can can call "Rampant Eurocentrism" without being accused of ROTW bias. Not impressed, Paradox.

Reactions: