• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 28th January 2016

Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.

Reactions:
It is good for game play reasons because Slovaks can expand more easily in Hungary. And when you say "rebel", do you mean 1848? 1848 is after the end of EU4 and covers events that don't really matter for most of EU4's time frame.

If you want to see something interesting, look at Romanians. They're now in the same culture group with Hungarians. How's that for cat and mouse? :)

But I don't mind it because there are historical reasons for doing this in a game starting in 1444 and also game play reasons for this.

Assuming there will be also Slovakia tag, not only culture. But why not? We got Estonia, Finland etc, so why not Slovakia?
But easier to expand into Hungary? For so small nation one coquered province would make it any culture accepted :)

Romanians and Hungarians in one bag is of course inaccurate, but I also understand gameplay reasons. Those culures both share fate of islands in the sea of Slavs :)

Reactions:
Oh come on. Czech and Slovak should be in one group (maybe also with Lusatian or Moravian?), while Pomeranian should join Polish and Silesian.
Byelorussian and Ruthenian should be together with Lithuanian if you want to rely more on cultural ties than language - ruthenian was official language of GDL for really long time. Other solution could be making one big ruthenian group and divide it into: whiteruthenian, volhynian, kievian etc. I wish there would be also aramean, assyrian and sahidic cultures, but I think it would be hard to create province which would represent them as majority :/.

The best way to get your suggestion accross is too make a suggestion thread AND put in a bunch of facts and figures from the 1444 time period that you can find.

Your Pomeranian suggestion seems really far out there without any historical facts to show that they were slavs in 1444. From what I remember, Pomeranian and Teutonic lands were germanized when the tuetonic knights went up there.

Reactions:
Ok, a move to a nice direction as far as the map is concerned, but I really hate the culture map.

It offers nothing new or interesting because the whole problem with ingame cultures is having sharp divides. You switched Welsh to "British" and re-added Highlander culture? How will that make up for interesting interactions etc. What about the divide between Bulgarian-Greek-Romanian, Byzantine-Venetian-S Italian, Levantine everything, Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian or Danish/Swedish-Low German? they're much closer than Basque and Andalusian, which are in the same group. Occitan/Catalan? Finnish/Karelian?? (like, for real?)

Game needs at least one more tier of culture groupings that can overlap with the existing one (like regions-areas-continents do for provinces). Only then tags can interact with and consolidate ethnographic and/or geographic regions better.

i think the term and mechanic your looking for is culture drift.

England having control of scotland and for a long period should drift those cultures under their culture group for example. I mean, this is the time period where Scottish culture and language became more British. c. 1700's.

Perhaps a mechanic like this:
New available decision to culture drift a group into your group.
- must share border with your primary culture.
- must have all provinces with that culture under your control
- no separatism present in any province
etc...

But in the end it would just be easier to culture convert them all to your culture. So I don't know.
CK2 culture is really much better.

Reactions:
I like how you've given fricking Sligo its own ideas, while a major power like Bukhara still has generic Horde ideas. Oh, and I also like how you've returned to the old Turko-Semitic culture group, despite how little sense it makes on any level.

I think that now I can can call "Rampant Eurocentrism" without being accused of ROTW bias. Not impressed, Paradox.

Reactions:
Finnish and Sami added to scandinavian, Russian culture divulged more, German French and Italian unchanged, Welsh finally added to British culture group, Hungarians no longer lonely, Turks given huge buff, all awesome.
With the new tab at the top, might mean a naval expansion which game needs desperately
Also hope they fix parliaments

Reactions:
Very much disapprove of Turkish being added to the Arabic cultures group...

Even Persian would have fit better. Turks came from that way, didn't they? Then mixed with Eastern Greeks.

Early 16th century, Persian shahs were using Turkish language in literature while Ottoman sultan was using Persian-Arabic. The main divide is relgion (Sunni - Shia) like the Croats and the Serbs. And these two counted as seperate cultures? Their main cultural difference comes from Religion and living centuries on the different sides of Ottoman - Habsburg border, which happens way after the 1444 start.

Cultures is a tricky thing to handle for this game period. Before the EU4 time frame, there was a time when four heirs of Ottoman Throne went war on each other. Muslim Anatolia was in turmoil, but not the Balkans. Bulgarians and Greeks stayed put. Nationalist feelings did not arise until the Dutch, and yet we try to carve up our nation states retrospectively in the game; Hence Turkish going into Arabic culture group. Actually it was the other way. Ottomans went more Sunni (increased piety) and their culture became closer to Arabic (but never closer than Persians which is a seperate culture group); because they grabbed the Arabic lands and Caliphate which they believed provided political power and stability. Before Selim I's conquests to the East, during Mehmet II's era, half of the land of the Empire was in Europe and he was planning conquest to Rome to claim being the 3rd Roman Empire. From Mehmet's view, things would have gone different.

I understand the game tries to balance what have happened and what could have happened, so just trying to put another perspective to think about of here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
There isn't just something on the top bar, there's something next to the monarch points. A percentage, using the same symbol from the top bar. Little hard to see because the flowing banner obscures visibility. More speculations abound for us common masses!

Reactions:
Just noticed Calias is now a straight.

Looks like its GG England unless ideas get reworked or straight blocking gets changed back.

I foresee Great Britain being formed by Scotland in every single AI game.

Also really weird that that they put a straight in Calais to England but not Gibralter to Tangiers.

Reactions:
Again adding Turkish into the Arabic culture tree...........
Why? Turks in that time period and in other times were more similar to Persians then to Arabs.
If you want to make it more about culture then language you should add Turkish with Azerbaijani into the a new culture group called Turko-Persian or Turko-Iranian which makes more sense then the abomination of Turko-Semitic.

Reactions:
I like how you've given fricking Sligo its own ideas, while a major power like Bukhara still has generic Horde ideas. Oh, and I also like how you've returned to the old Turko-Semitic culture group, despite how little sense it makes on any level.

I think that now I can can call "Rampant Eurocentrism" without being accused of ROTW bias. Not impressed, Paradox.

I agree that more unique Horde ideas would be great, the longterm goal shoudl eb to get rid of any country with generic ideas anyway - no matter how insignificant the chance of spawning is. Thankfully, we still have a few patches left for that to happen. it's just a bit lame that we didn't get Horde ideas in an expansion with Horde related features.

As for culture groups.. the entire system is a bit too simple tbh, just like religion. But these are such big concepts that they probably need to invest huge amounts of time into it to change them to a completely satisfying degree for most players. I would certainly welcome it, but I don't know how much of a selling point that would be to most of the players.