• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 26th of June 2018

Hello! We’ll be talking about two smaller features in this dev diary that is coming with the Dharma Expansion. The first one you have probably noticed if you have followed the dev clash streams, however the second is probably my own small favorite.

First one up is the Settlement Growth which is the one you have probably spotted in the province view. Ever gotten to the point where you don’t have much else to colonize, you have a bunch of colonist agents but nothing to do with them? Now we’re giving you another use for them by having them improve the development of your provinces slowly.

upload_2018-6-26_9-38-48.png

It works a bit like a colony construction, it is affected by the colonial maintenance slider and costs the same as a colony. But it doesn’t have the steady increase in settlers that colonies have but only it’s own variant of the settler chance. The yearly chance is based on the local development modifiers and the current development of the province, capped at a minimum of 5% yearly chance.

So growing the development of one of your provinces might be really cheap for you or end up costing you way more than you bargained for.

Second feature is an addition to an old one that has been long missing. We’ve always found that…. Insults lacked a bit of a punch to them so we went ahead and fixed that.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-12.png

We’ve added what we call scornful insults. They cost 5 prestige to make, it will make the enemies of the nation like you more, the nation themselves hate you more and give you double the amount of power projection if they were your rival. As you can see scornful insults also come with a bit of a letter attached to it now describing the insult sent… I mean the incredibly well crafted and cultured letter you sent.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-27.png

We’ve added more than 60 insults and as you can see in the screenshot they are not all generic. There are some clever ones hidden away depending on what nation under what kind of state does the insult against who.

Hope you enjoyed the dev diary and don’t forget to tune in to the Dev clash at 15:00 today! It’s going to be the last before we shut down for the holidays. So it’s your last chance for a while to get a last sneak peak on stuff we haven’t talked about yet or things we’ve missed to mention.

Though of course Jake being a miserable Scot and breaks a Swedish taboo, he will still be doing dev diaries throughout July month.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Might consider taking up exploration and expansion ideas for a change.

As for the add-in on the insults, that is interesting as well. Just imagine multiplayer games with players giving silly insults to one another. :D

Actually, I heard the "neither holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire" line first time in Austrian Polandball Vicky2 AAR long time ago and thought that the author came up with this on his own, but seeing it the second time here I wonder whether it was in fact used by someone "more famous" before? Can the devs explain where did they find this line or whether they came up with this on their own?

The quip is attributed to Voltaire: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire

Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appelle encore le saint empire romain n'était en aucune manière ni saint, ni romain, ni empire.
  • This body which called itself and which still calls itself the Holy Roman Empire was in no way holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.

I'm sad that you guys didn't give us the text line to place our very own insults.

I assume that the last NI for Spain benefits from the new mechanic?

Actually, I heard the "neither holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire" line first time in Austrian Polandball Vicky2 AAR long time ago and thought that the author came up with this on his own, but seeing it the second time here I wonder whether it was in fact used by someone "more famous" before? Can the devs explain where did they find this line or whether they came up with this on their own?

The quip is attributed to Voltaire: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire

Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appelle encore le saint empire romain n'était en aucune manière ni saint, ni romain, ni empire.
  • This body which called itself and which still calls itself the Holy Roman Empire was in no way holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.

There are also variations on it that sprang up over the centuries, such as the 1941. puppet regime of the Independent State of Croatia being called "neither independent, nor a state, nor Croatian." by modern day Croat historians :D

Cheers for the DD Groogy and the extra info, miserable Scot DDR Jake :D. Both great little features (and add an interesting 'go tall' angle to the current iteration of Expansion ideas, although that may well change).

We’ve added more than 60 insults and as you can see in the screenshot they are not all generic. There are some clever ones hidden away depending on what nation under what kind of state does the insult against who.

Reckon you should have a 'whole-of-PDS' afternoon of insult generation for fun and lols :).

Will it be possible to remove policies by command?

If not, could you make that happen? Pretty please?

Last edited:
Came for the diary.
Stayed for the hype of super insults and glorious summer Jake.

Introduce investments please! pay cold hard cash to increase development, perfect money sink and the game world can grow alongside whichever nations are most prosperous!

First one up is the Settlement Growth which is the one you have probably spotted in the province view. Ever gotten to the point where you don’t have much else to colonize, you have a bunch of colonist agents but nothing to do with them? Now we’re giving you another use for them by having them improve the development of your provinces slowly.

I think this is a fantastic feature. I'd suggest to go slightly further. Should the colonist represent making the land arable? If so there should be a chance of turning the province into Farmlands. This should only work on "wet" terrain like grasslands, coastline and woods of course. As this would be very strong, it should have a very low change, so it happens maybe once in a 100 years.

In regards to the colonists - Couldn't you go just a step further ? ...
Let me set an AIMED development for a province (16-24-8 for example for the one in your pic since this one has a center of trade and a "right" trade-good), which my colonist has to develop until it's finished.

Would be nice if the colonist would also allow culture conversion to your main culture as an added bonus to the dev!
Or perhaps send lazy missionaries to true-faith provinces to culture convert?

Very nice. Now it is more interesting for russia to get exploration ideas even with the siberian frontier I guess. Is it possible to send a coloniser in a civilised province in colonial nations to develop it?

That HRE insult (neither Holy, Roman, or Empire) had better fire for any HRE Emperor and not just Austria. I'd be very sad if it didn't.

It's from Voltaire; an 18th Century French Philosopher.