• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 26th of June 2018

Hello! We’ll be talking about two smaller features in this dev diary that is coming with the Dharma Expansion. The first one you have probably noticed if you have followed the dev clash streams, however the second is probably my own small favorite.

First one up is the Settlement Growth which is the one you have probably spotted in the province view. Ever gotten to the point where you don’t have much else to colonize, you have a bunch of colonist agents but nothing to do with them? Now we’re giving you another use for them by having them improve the development of your provinces slowly.

upload_2018-6-26_9-38-48.png

It works a bit like a colony construction, it is affected by the colonial maintenance slider and costs the same as a colony. But it doesn’t have the steady increase in settlers that colonies have but only it’s own variant of the settler chance. The yearly chance is based on the local development modifiers and the current development of the province, capped at a minimum of 5% yearly chance.

So growing the development of one of your provinces might be really cheap for you or end up costing you way more than you bargained for.

Second feature is an addition to an old one that has been long missing. We’ve always found that…. Insults lacked a bit of a punch to them so we went ahead and fixed that.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-12.png

We’ve added what we call scornful insults. They cost 5 prestige to make, it will make the enemies of the nation like you more, the nation themselves hate you more and give you double the amount of power projection if they were your rival. As you can see scornful insults also come with a bit of a letter attached to it now describing the insult sent… I mean the incredibly well crafted and cultured letter you sent.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-27.png

We’ve added more than 60 insults and as you can see in the screenshot they are not all generic. There are some clever ones hidden away depending on what nation under what kind of state does the insult against who.

Hope you enjoyed the dev diary and don’t forget to tune in to the Dev clash at 15:00 today! It’s going to be the last before we shut down for the holidays. So it’s your last chance for a while to get a last sneak peak on stuff we haven’t talked about yet or things we’ve missed to mention.

Though of course Jake being a miserable Scot and breaks a Swedish taboo, he will still be doing dev diaries throughout July month.

Last edited:
can we form Rajputana too by uniting Rajput states? Will Rajputana be a formable country? It should be... because the aim of rajputs was always to create Rajputana by uniting themselves under one banner...

How about ALL envoys.

Free missionary laying around? go rustle us up some tax development.
Free merchant? Go talk the guilds into expanding the production infrastructure.
Diplomat laying around since you've already buttered everyone up and don't really want to play wide this time? Go negotiate us some more Conscripts.
Settler? Just go and see what needs fixing up.

there's always a point in the game where you've got them laying doing nothing, except maybe diplomats depending on your goals and how many of them you have.

Merchants especially early game or if you don't really have many nodes that need steering, you could use him to try and squeeze some extra production out of a province until a new opportunity arrives. Especially since there's locations where you're stuck for centuries without being to able use both merchants. Or the area is so poor you aren't really getting anything out of it, vs the a pretty decent at first chance to develop the provinces a little.

Missionaries especially are honestly probably even more useless than Colonists. Since you always have at least ONE. But there's no gauruntees you'll ever need him depending on your strategy. Colonists you at least have to go out of your way to get so you at least in theory will be focusing on what they're useful for.

I am in heaven to hear about the colonists. The insults are good too. Still, unactive missionaries should also be used like Zanth just said and probably others in this Dev Diary comments. Also makes taking the colonist ideas way more important, if they weren't already. Also who cares if it may not be cost effective, free dev is free dev. Free Mp and free everything.

Just letting resting missionaries have a "inquisition/education" mission that increases religious unity while active could do some to counteract the problems with it not being as easy to mass convert as it used to be?

Will insults be moddable? I would like to be able add my own
Yes, check the \common\insults\ folder, along with insults_l_english localisations file.

Hello! We’ll be talking about two smaller features in this dev diary that is coming with the Dharma Expansion. The first one you have probably noticed if you have followed the dev clash streams, however the second is probably my own small favorite.

First one up is the Settlement Growth which is the one you have probably spotted in the province view. Ever gotten to the point where you don’t have much else to colonize, you have a bunch of colonist agents but nothing to do with them? Now we’re giving you another use for them by having them improve the development of your provinces slowly.

View attachment 383157

It works a bit like a colony construction, it is affected by the colonial maintenance slider and costs the same as a colony. But it doesn’t have the steady increase in settlers that colonies have but only it’s own variant of the settler chance. The yearly chance is based on the local development modifiers and the current development of the province, capped at a minimum of 5% yearly chance.

So growing the development of one of your provinces might be really cheap for you or end up costing you way more than you bargained for.

Second feature is an addition to an old one that has been long missing. We’ve always found that…. Insults lacked a bit of a punch to them so we went ahead and fixed that.

View attachment 383158

We’ve added what we call scornful insults. They cost 5 prestige to make, it will make the enemies of the nation like you more, the nation themselves hate you more and give you double the amount of power projection if they were your rival. As you can see scornful insults also come with a bit of a letter attached to it now describing the insult sent… I mean the incredibly well crafted and cultured letter you sent.

View attachment 383159

We’ve added more than 60 insults and as you can see in the screenshot they are not all generic. There are some clever ones hidden away depending on what nation under what kind of state does the insult against who.

Hope you enjoyed the dev diary and don’t forget to tune in to the Dev clash at 15:00 today! It’s going to be the last before we shut down for the holidays. So it’s your last chance for a while to get a last sneak peak on stuff we haven’t talked about yet or things we’ve missed to mention.

Though of course Jake being a miserable Scot and breaks a Swedish taboo, he will still be doing dev diaries throughout July month.

Maybe ye could teach AI Colonial Nations to ya know colonize instead of encouraging development.
Watching Cuba let 100s of dev go to waste was the 1.26+ straw that broke the camel's back for me...

Maybe ye could teach AI Colonial Nations to ya know colonize instead of encouraging development.
Watching Cuba let 100s of dev go to waste was the 1.26+ straw that broke the camel's back for me...

I'm not going to say there isn't an issue but ai Cuba was always going to leave 100s of development to waste since ai CNs will only colonize adjacent provinces...

I'm not going to say there isn't an issue but ai Cuba was always going to leave 100s of development to waste since ai CNs will only colonize adjacent provinces...

Meh - not really. I colonised two of the isolated islands myself since they have COTs. Plus Havana and a further two COTs on the other large land mass.
A sixth colony on the island chain with straits should have been sufficient to have most of the region boxed off. Instead they're neglecting the most lucrative colonial land on the map.

Edit: To add insult to injury the Governor is a Colonist personality.

Last edited: