• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 26th of February 2019

Good morning everyone. As you know, we’re hard at work planning the grand European update with a tentative release date of Q4 2019. Today I’ll be airing some of my early thoughts on the upcoming map updates for France and Italy. I’d like to stress that these thoughts are exactly that - early ideas that will be iterated on substantially before implementation and release. Part of my reason for writing this is to help consolidate my ideas, seek community feedback, and to set some expectations for the future.

First, let’s take a nostalgic look into the distant past of patch 1.4, the oldest patch still available on Steam, and marvel at how far we’ve come since those primitive times.

old france.jpg

And for reference, here is France in the current version (1.28) of the game:

current france.jpg

Province density has increased somewhat; lonely Provence is now paired with Forcalquier, Languedoc is no longer unreasonably massive, and the Normandy region is much prettier these days. The 1.25 ‘England’ patch was the most recent iteration to the French map, and we’re very happy with the changes it made to northern France. Province shapes, densities, ownerships, etc are in a very good place for the northern part of the region. Southern France however could use some love. I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread which has some interesting ideas on how it could be improved:

France Map Changes.png

As I’ve said in the thread, I’m particularly eager to add the major French naval dockyard of Toulon, splitting it from the Provence province which would likely have to be renamed. Foix and Carcassonne would also be worthy additions, and La Marche nicely splits up the relatively large Limousin province. Albret I find much less convincing; while Gascony potentially has room for a new province I’m not sure that there’s a good candidate with any real significance that also fits the space between Aquitaine and Labourd. I rather like this suggestion overall. It definitely hits the mark for the province density we’re aiming for in the region.

Another notable difference between Ye Olde France and our current iteration is the presence of the French vassals. Ultimately removed for balance reasons, we’d like to return them to their former glory. The story of France in our period is one of consolidation, and to that end we feel that the return of the vassals would make playing as France feel more like you are slowly building a centralized nation out of a fragmented feudal realm. We also think it’s a shame that we so rarely see many of the wonderful models for the French minors that are part of the Hundred Years’ War Unit Pack.

Let’s set our sights on Italy next:

italy.jpg

And for reference, Italy as it is right now:

newitaly.jpg

In stark contrast to France, Italy has more tags in 1444 rather than less. Montferrat and Lucca have made a triumphant appearance while Tuscany has been replaced by Florence. The Florentine replacement brings back fond memories for me - I’d advocated for Florence on the forums long before starting at Paradox, and created a mod compatible with the pre-release demo version of the game that did exactly this. I think we can expect to see Florence getting some love in the form of a fancy new mission tree at the very least.

We can also see a move towards a higher province density, to the point where it’s going to be a challenge to find room for yet more provinces when we start on the next iteration of the map. Something else we need to be concerned about when we add more provinces is that we generally want to preserve the overall balance of the region (though this isn’t always the case, sometimes we deliberately use province changes to alter the balance) and keep the same feel for how wealthy its provinces are. Italy is a region that should and does have a lot of very high development provinces - adding a great deal more would force us to split this development up and make the region feel more generic.

madness.jpg

Here we see a suggestion by reddit user u/ItalianMapper. While it’s certainly a thing of beauty in its own way, we will definitely not be implementing anything close to this for the European update. Space is at a premium and tiny provinces as seen here simply aren’t workable. That said, I quite like the idea of splitting Sicily into significantly more provinces. We’ve toyed with the idea of adding 1 more province to fill out the Sicily area (currently at 4 provinces including Malta) but haven’t found a satisfying way to do this. As such we’re considering whether a 6 province (7 including Malta) Sicily is something we want to experiment with. I’m also interested in adding a Bologna tag, splitting the Novara province (a good suggestion for which I’ve seen in this thread), and doing something with Venetian terra firma that’s remained largely unchanged since the release of the game.

That’s all from me this week. I ask you once again to bear in mind that we are still very early in the development process for the European update, and nothing said here should be considered our final stance on a matter. We’d like to continue gathering community suggestions and expectations for France and Italy, so please continue to share your ideas in our suggestions subforum or in the comments below. Next week I’ll be back to talk about our ideas for updating the Balkans, so stay tuned for more map talk.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for a San Marino on the map! A quick google "oldest country in the world" will yeild some interesting results so it'd be awesome to see them on the map with their own unique ideas! :)
I was also hoping they would add San Marino into the game. It's a very interesting country. :p Sadly, I guess it's too small. But if tiny free cities of the HRE can be in the game than I don't understand what is the problem. Without San Marino the map will always feel incomplete to me.

You could just cut off little bit of Romagna, Urbino and Arezzo and you have enough space for San Marino.

UPDATE: I see that I'm in a minority here, so I guess San Marino will never be added.:(

Last edited:
You've freed the Isle of Mann, what about the Channel Islands?

There were some very interesting things going on there during the time period of the game and could be a great source of events between England/Britain and France.

Source is only Wikipedia at this point, but: "The islands were invaded by the French in 1338, who held some territory until 1345. Edward III of England granted a Charter in July 1341 to Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney, confirming their customs and laws to secure allegiance to the English Crown. Owen Lawgoch, a mercenary leader of a Free Company in the service of the French Crown, attacked Jersey and Guernsey in 1372, and in 1373 Bertrand du Guesclin besieged Mont Orgueil. The young King Richard II of England reconfirmed in 1378 the Charter rights granted by his grandfather, followed in 1394 with a second Charter granting, because of great loyalty shown to the Crown, exemption for ever, from English tolls, customs and duties. Jersey was occupied by the French in 1461 as part of an exchange of helping the Lancastrians fight against the Yorkists during The War of the Roses. It was retaken by the Yorkists in 1468. In 1483 a Papal bull decreed that the islands would be neutral during time of war. This privilege of neutrality enabled islanders to trade with both France and England and was respected until 1689 when it was abolished by Order in Council following the Glorious Revolution in Great Britain.

Various attempts to transfer the islands from the diocese of Coutances (to Nantes (1400), Salisbury (1496), and Winchester (1499)) had little effect until an Order in Council of 1569 brought the islands formally into the diocese of Winchester. Control by the bishop of Winchester was ineffectual as the islands had turned overwhelmingly Calvinist and the episcopacy was not restored until 1620 in Jersey and 1663 in Guernsey.

Sark in the 16th century was uninhabited until colonised from Jersey in the 1560s. The grant of seigneurship from Elizabeth I of England n 1565 forms the basis of Sark's constitution today.

During the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, Jersey held out strongly for the Royalist cause, providing refuge for Charles, Prince of Wales in 1646 and 1649–1650, while the more strongly Prebyterian Guernsey more generally favoured the parliamentary cause (although Castle Corner was held by Royalists and did not surrender until October 1651).

The islands acquired commercial and political interests in the North American colonies. Islanders became involved with the Newfoundland fisheries in the seventeenth century. In recognition for all the help given to him during his exile in Jersey in the 1640s, Charles II gave George Carteret, Bailiff and governor, a large grant of land in the American colonies, which he promptly named New Jersey, now part of the United States of America. Sir Edmund Andros of Guernsey was an early colonial governor in North America, and head of the short-lived Dominion of New England.

In the late eighteenth century, the Islands were dubbed "the French Isles". Wealthy French émigrés fleeing the Revolution sought residency in the islands. Many of the town domiciles existing today were built in that time. In Saint Peter Port, a large part of the harbour had been built by 1865."

Just from those short passages, there are political, religious, and colonial events that could be made use of (the founding of New Jersey jumps out at me!) and who doesn't want a(nother) European Ryuku?

eh more provinces? if you don't increase the number of states , why not but this won't make France life any easier :/

There were some very interesting things going on there during the time period of the game and could be a great source of events between England/Britain and France.

Source is only Wikipedia at this point, but: "The islands were invaded by the French in 1338, who held some territory until 1345. Edward III of England granted a Charter in July 1341 to Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney, confirming their customs and laws to secure allegiance to the English Crown. Owen Lawgoch, a mercenary leader of a Free Company in the service of the French Crown, attacked Jersey and Guernsey in 1372, and in 1373 Bertrand du Guesclin besieged Mont Orgueil. The young King Richard II of England reconfirmed in 1378 the Charter rights granted by his grandfather, followed in 1394 with a second Charter granting, because of great loyalty shown to the Crown, exemption for ever, from English tolls, customs and duties. Jersey was occupied by the French in 1461 as part of an exchange of helping the Lancastrians fight against the Yorkists during The War of the Roses. It was retaken by the Yorkists in 1468. In 1483 a Papal bull decreed that the islands would be neutral during time of war. This privilege of neutrality enabled islanders to trade with both France and England and was respected until 1689 when it was abolished by Order in Council following the Glorious Revolution in Great Britain.

Various attempts to transfer the islands from the diocese of Coutances (to Nantes (1400), Salisbury (1496), and Winchester (1499)) had little effect until an Order in Council of 1569 brought the islands formally into the diocese of Winchester. Control by the bishop of Winchester was ineffectual as the islands had turned overwhelmingly Calvinist and the episcopacy was not restored until 1620 in Jersey and 1663 in Guernsey.

Sark in the 16th century was uninhabited until colonised from Jersey in the 1560s. The grant of seigneurship from Elizabeth I of England n 1565 forms the basis of Sark's constitution today.

During the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, Jersey held out strongly for the Royalist cause, providing refuge for Charles, Prince of Wales in 1646 and 1649–1650, while the more strongly Prebyterian Guernsey more generally favoured the parliamentary cause (although Castle Corner was held by Royalists and did not surrender until October 1651).

The islands acquired commercial and political interests in the North American colonies. Islanders became involved with the Newfoundland fisheries in the seventeenth century. In recognition for all the help given to him during his exile in Jersey in the 1640s, Charles II gave George Carteret, Bailiff and governor, a large grant of land in the American colonies, which he promptly named New Jersey, now part of the United States of America. Sir Edmund Andros of Guernsey was an early colonial governor in North America, and head of the short-lived Dominion of New England.

In the late eighteenth century, the Islands were dubbed "the French Isles". Wealthy French émigrés fleeing the Revolution sought residency in the islands. Many of the town domiciles existing today were built in that time. In Saint Peter Port, a large part of the harbour had been built by 1865."

Just from those short passages, there are political, religious, and colonial events that could be made use of (the founding of New Jersey jumps out at me!) and who doesn't want a(nother) European Ryuku?
Pretty sure those isles are too small.
Plus, if they were added then there's a lot of other isles all around Europe which could be added too as they also were widely contested and small.

France should get a development hike, but also some kind of mechanic representing how decentralised it was at the start of the game (as well as damaged by the hundred years war) making it a very heavy ball but one that takes some time to start rolling. It most importantly needs to be buffed when compared to Burgundy who are very powerful because of their incredibly loyal and powerful PU swarm.

Glad to see the French minors back. While you're in the neighborhood, please take a look a bit north of France. There is a certain formable/revolt tag missing over there. And yes, it can also be a revolt tag, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Belgian_States and the Brabant Revolution.
I also favor more provinces in the Venice trade node. IMO, that trade node is surprisingly low value, I may be wrong, but I had always thought that the Venice trade node was the richest in Europe around 1500. More provinces will add more local value, so that will fix things a bit. But adding more provinces in France also favors the other two major trade nodes there, the English Channel and Genoa..
Please also take a look at these two things in the Belgian region:
- Calais should be Flemish, not Walloon. Western Flemish is still an official dialect there, a lot of the region belonged for a long time to Flanders, and many cities have Flemish names (like Dunkirk/Duinkerke).
- The Flanders area should also have province 92 (Brabant/Brussels). The Flanders area now has a lot less provinces than the Walloon area, moving this province will even things a bit more up (and states are an important factor in the game). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the county of Brabant not a typical Flemish county, with it's capital in province 92? As it is now, it seems weird to consider their capital being in the Walloon area. I know, nowadays it makes more sense to place the province in that area, but this game isn't exactly today's situation.

Thank you for reading, I'm looking forward to more of such nice DD!

Pretty sure those isles are too small.
Plus, if they were added then there's a lot of other isles all around Europe which could be added too as they also were widely contested and small.

It's not about size, it's about how you use it!

They might be small in terms of land area, but so are quite a number of the Caribbean islands, for example. I dunno, I just think the Channel Islands offer a Heck of a lot of opportunity for historical events.

Preemptive disclaimer: I'm french so I might be biased on this.

I don't like it, because these islands were contested not for their ressources / trade / whatever but solely for the influence of having an island in the middle of the Channel. They only acquired significance rather recently, as they are a "tax haven" in the middle of europe. So overall the attention they've been getting is completely inflated by the influence of the protagonists, but have very little / nothing to do with the land itself, so I don't think they would be a good addition.

@neondt If you want an Aquitaine split and the vassals back, then the House of Albret should definetely be included. I suggest you use the fortress of Tartas or Mont de Marsan as a province.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tartas It was taken back from the English prior to 1444.
Dux_Wasconum_1150.png

Albret, Tartas and Marsan were under French control. Mont de Marsan seems to be the most sizable one. Albret itself was indeed not much more than an estate with some villages.

This might be a stupid question but I'm assuming the Q4 European update isn't the only update for this game in 2019?

Imperator Rome will be out in april (and Planetfall in august). So looks like EU4 has lost several developers to Imperator.

As I’ve said in the thread, I’m particularly eager to add the major French naval dockyard of Toulon, splitting it from the Provence province which would likely have to be renamed. Foix and Carcassonne would also be worthy additions, and La Marche nicely splits up the relatively large Limousin province. Albret I find much less convincing; while Gascony potentially has room for a new province I’m not sure that there’s a good candidate with any real significance that also fits the space between Aquitaine and Labourd. I rather like this suggestion overall. It definitely hits the mark for the province density we’re aiming for in the region.
This is a great idea, but may I suggest that the french provinces in the Mediterranean that they do have at the game start receive some malus which makes them count as not coastal because that area is really shallow sea and not at all suited for ports. Taking Provence (or retaking the Spanish march) should be paramount for France's ability to project in the Mediterranean.
Another notable difference between Ye Olde France and our current iteration is the presence of the French vassals. Ultimately removed for balance reasons, we’d like to return them to their former glory. The story of France in our period is one of consolidation, and to that end we feel that the return of the vassals would make playing as France feel more like you are slowly building a centralized nation out of a fragmented feudal realm. We also think it’s a shame that we so rarely see many of the wonderful models for the French minors that are part of the Hundred Years’ War Unit Pack.
I love that these will return, but balancing france is also about Burgundy. Burgundy needs to have more trouble with it's dutch vassals.
I think we can expect to see Florence getting some love in the form of a fancy new mission tree at the very least.
Will it incorporate some of the events which seems to be defunct for them at the moment?
I’m also interested in adding a Bologna tag,
Nice I always felt there should be one.

I dunno, I just think the Channel Islands offer a Heck of a lot of opportunity for historical events.
I could come up with several isles in the Baltic which also would offer the opportunity for quite a bit of historical events. But those too are too small in the big scheme.

Glad to hear that we are getting French minors back on the map. It made France unique, very strong on its own in a short term, but quite balanced as it prevented it from forming big alliances. I think it might be worth considering giving France some mechanism allowing it to have even more additional French vassals to allow fore more fragmentation without crippling French diplomacy entirely. Maybe some special type that would not take up diplo slot but wouldn't accept offensive CTA?