• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 17th of April 2018

Good day and welcome. By the time you are reading this message, I will be long gone. This message should go live at 10am on Tuesday 17th April but I am writing this some days before. Having already snapped at several months of sustained subzero temperatures in this heathen place, I am taking to the skies and will be enjoying the blazing sun in Florida for a three week vacation. Know that if you do find me making posts here, it is as I am laying by a pool sipping a drink not out of thirst, but out of needing to actually cool down for the first time in half a year. In my stead, @Groogy will be more than happy to elaborate on the mechanical/design changes and @Trin Tragula will be on dev diary duty to talk about what he does best.

But the grim reality of Scandinavian life aside, let's look at our final in a three-parter dev diary on the Government Changes coming along. We've already elaborated how they work as well as Monarchy reforms in Part One, then checked out Republics in Part Two. Today we wrap up by checking out the remaining government types: Theocracies and Tribes.

Theocratic Reforms:

• Leadership
    • Clergy: 5% Tax Modifier
    • Monastic Order: -20% Fort Maintenance
    • (Papal States only) Pope: +1 Prestige, +1 Tolerance of True Faith
  • Internal vs External Mission
    • Internal Mission: +2 tolerance of true faith
    • External Mission: -20% Warscore against other religions
  • Divine Cause
    • Safeguard Holy Sites: +1 Prestige
    • Combat Heresy: 10% Morale
    • Expel heathens: 5% Development cost
  • Clergy in Administration
    • Subservient Administrators: +1 Free [HIDDENS] (almost missed this one)
    • Religious Administrators: -10% Stability cost
  • Secularise?
    • Maintain Religious Head of State: +10% Absolutism
    • (Muslim) Hereditary Religious Leadership: gain Feudal Theocracy abilities
    • Crown [Root.Monarch.GetName]: Turn into a monarchy, lose 2 reforms
    • Proclaim Republic, lose 2 reforms
Theocracies will be able to shape what sort of religious government hey wish to be and, instead of simply having the decision to secularize, can decide if they want to become a republic or Monarchy at the end of their reforms (keeping some of their reform progress that can be immediately used to pass Monarchy/Republic reforms) or double down on keeping a religious government. For owners of Cradle of Civilization, regular Sunni Theocracies will be able to adopt Feudal Theocracy mechanics as their final reform if preferred. For the likes of Ardabil, they will have a special starting reform which has these mechanics pre-unlocked.

Looking over to our friends the Tribal nations. We wanted to make the path from Tribal to settled nation more exciting than being an ADM sink and rail-roading of National Ideas. They are offered several choices of where to direct their nations.

Tribal Reforms:
  • Tribal Administration
    • Nomadic - Enables Steppe Nomad mechanics, all old nomad bonuses. only available for 1444 nomadic nations.
    • Federation - Enables Federation mechanics. - 5 years of separatism. Only available for the previously defined Tribal Federations.
    • Despotism: -10% Core Creation cost
    • Kingdom: +20% Vassal Income
  • Cultural Values
    • Martial Society: +15% Manpower
    • Civil Society: +5% Tax
  • Religion v secular
    • Religious Societies: -10% Stability cost
    • Lip-Service: -20% Land Maintenance Modifier
  • Modernization
    • Centralize Powers: +3 States, +10 Max Absolutism
    • Retain Tribal Hierarchy: -5% Core Creation Cost -5% Stability cost
  • REFORM:
    • Become Monarchy - Lose 4 Reforms, become Monarchy
    • Become Republic - Lose 4 reforms, become Republic
    • Become Theocracy - Lose 4 reforms, become Theocracy
    • Become Horde - Become Steppe Nomad. Use Nomadic mechanics.
All values seen are subject to balance changes and tweaking at this early stage of development and are expected to change. Despotism vs Kingdom, I'm looking at you.

With Tribes you are now given more control over how (and if you even wish to) reform your nation, complete with the ability to embrace horde life as a nation not blessed with Steppe Nomad mechanics in 1444, so once you have dominated West Africa as Dahomy and don't want any of those fancy styles of government that the arriving Europeans offer, you can go full horde and ride north razing everything into dust.

You will be able to see how close you are to your next reform straight from the main GUI, as we have re-positioned the Great Powers button to allow a button that opens your reforms. This button also fills up with green as you get closer to your next reform so you won't need to keep consulting the tab to check your progress.

Aq Qoyunlu Reforms.jpg

As is often the case, changes to a base system like this is going to be subject to iteration as we continue our work on 1.26 and its accompanying yet unannounced expansion, so do not be surprised when other changes to it are announced along the way. For now though, we will shift our attention in these dev diaries. Starting next week we will have some dev diaries on the map changes upcoming in 1.26. As always, map changes and new nations added are free additions to the game and are part of the upcoming Update. This will also reveal where we will be focusing on in this expansion. In the interest of teasing it though, I'll post some screenshots along the way.

River 1.jpg

We'll see you then!

Attachments

• government reforms for AKK.jpg
    government reforms for AKK.jpg
    124,2 KB · Views: 20.891
It definitely won't come this update, but they should redo trade. You should be able to boycott and focus production on specific goods, make trade deals,and focus on trade routes. I won't go that in depth because they'll never see this but it would actually give a point to trade wars and controlling the oceans.

@Groogy I have to ask; regarding the first reform(Administration) in the Tribal tree there's a marked absence of Tribal Democracy. As is now there's a binary "choice" of Despotism or Monarchy.
Adding the Democracy option there would also open up some design space balance wise. Related to that; what happens to Siberian Clan Councils? Are they dead and buried or in development limbo?

I'm really glad you are redesigning the government system, this seems more open-ended and malleable to both players and modders.

Where and when was this confirmed? Also really hoping for a Eastern/Central Europe fix.
Yeah Eastern and Central Europe could use some love. For the confirmation it was stated by DDR Jake either on the release Dev Diary for Rule Brittania or in the first dev diary for the new expansion. I believe the link was posted earlier in this thread.

Would a ruler of a converted Horde become a Khan, though?

Also, I agree on other people's point here: tribal nations whose capitals/capital states are in islands, in jungles, and in mountains should not be allowed to go and become a Horde. However, I am STOKED for the idea of nations where it is geographically feasible to become Hordes!

I don't want to see Filipino states become Khanates, but who boy, the potential for an early Sioux domination as Horde or an Africa Horde would be I N C R E D I B L E.

Govenrmental flavor and structure- with the emphasis on me CHOOSING what government to become -has always been on the top of my list, and now I can finally create Cherokee Theocracies and African Republics. THIS is the kind of quality content that has me shouting "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY FINEST STEED".

Let's hope that Savannah Terrain counts as flatlands for a Horde bonus (akin to Steppes), though.

Can we please have a feature in the upcoming patch that colonial nations only declare wars on other native tribes (and not other colonial powers), and that when they do, you get dragged in the war too. I have had many games where my colonial Brazil just got eaten up by natives and I found out after the fact (while I had troops stationed there already). It is unrealistic, as the mother country would have intervened. Right now I feel like colonization needs the most work.

Will there be Holy Sites for converted CK2 religions? I converted one game and thought it was neat that Nestorians had holy sites, but looks like it's a copy from the Copts, which doesn't really fit. It would be fun to play as a Nestorian empire with holy sites in Baghdad, Malabar, etc.

I really hope it's an Italia focus expansion and the focus are the Italian wars which were a unique conflict that can't be reflected in the current game.

i think italian wars needs a war mechanic like hre league wars including france spain ottomans other than italian states. more massacres more fun :D

and please make naval battles fun.

Last edited:
You know they made that title up for ck2 right?

So? It's still a cool title and would be a nice continuity between the games. And would be especially nice for games ported from CK2.

I wonder if the devs would consider limiting the use of mercs? Like In some battle 1-2 million men dies, of which half of them my mercs but I seriously doubt that there are that mcuh mercs available to me. Not to mention enemy mercs spammed by ai

I agreed with the OP post about life in Sweden, not about the more relevant info in the post, and I've never lived in Sweden, but it's at the same latitude as some pretty unpleasant territory in Canada here, so I can kind of guess.

I agreed with the OP post about life in Sweden, not about the more relevant info in the post, and I've never lived in Sweden, but it's at the same latitude as some pretty unpleasant territory in Canada here, so I can kind of guess.
Winnipeg and Vancouver are at the same latitude as each other. Stockholm, like Vancouver, is a coastal city on a body of water that doesn't freeze over in the winter.

North Pacific Current (and partly El Nino too)

Winnipeg and Vancouver are at the same latitude as each other. Stockholm, like Vancouver, is a coastal city on a body of water that doesn't freeze over in the winter.

There are some territorial issues at play there, Winnipeg is at a serious disadvantage. First Vancouver's winds mostly come from the mid upper pacific, Winnipeg is coming from Hudson Bay or Great Lakes, Vancouver's is typically warmer. Then there are a great many mountains protecting Vancouver, as long as you don't mind brutal earth quakes every 300 years or so. Added to all of this...well, look at a water table of Canada, Manitoba is basically a few feet of land sitting on a subground extension of the Hudson Bay. This makes it even colder in the winter.

So, I get what you are saying but Stockholm is more in line with Juneau, Whitehorse, Iqualit, Ivujivik, ouch.

I don't know how it works with wheather and wind and water, but when I lived in Canada a few years back, we had much colder wheather in Ottawa (close to -30 C), a city which is south of Paris. Meanwhile in sweden in Malmö area, which is farther north than S:t John, NL never drops below -10. While Stockholm is farther north do get a bit colder it's not that significant in temperature. No, the real terror of the scandinavian winter is not the cold but rather the darkness. up in Stockholm I guess they only have some 3-4 hours of glowing fog* before it's dark again. In Canada, despite the cold you did have real days at least

*tbh I don't know if stockholm is that foggy, but down south by the coast it can go a week without actually seeing the sun during parts of fall and winter.

I don't know how it works with wheather and wind and water, but when I lived in Canada a few years back, we had much colder wheather in Ottawa (close to -30 C), a city which is south of Paris. Meanwhile in sweden in Malmö area, which is farther north than S:t John, NL never drops below -10. While Stockholm is farther north do get a bit colder it's not that significant in temperature. No, the real terror of the scandinavian winter is not the cold but rather the darkness. up in Stockholm I guess they only have some 3-4 hours of glowing fog* before it's dark again. In Canada, despite the cold you did have real days at least

*tbh I don't know if stockholm is that foggy, but down south by the coast it can go a week without actually seeing the sun during parts of fall and winter.
That sounds (and seems) depressing, for real.