• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Let's take a good look at our King/Khan/Doge/Emperor/Prince.

The ruler of your state is of prime importance to your nation but when you see your new heir birthed or khan taking the throne, it's often a quick look at their 3 monarch point stats followed by either a face palm or a fist pump. As a feature in the upcoming expansion we will be giving a touch more identity to these walking point generators with Ruler Personalities.

eu4_30.png

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions. For Duke Francois do Dreux here, he has become a careful individual who will enjoy lower AE in expansion.

Most personalities are a boon for your nation but not all are so positive. While it would be lovely if all your rulers were Just, Incorruptible and Charismatic, you may well find that your ruler is too greedy for their own good like Vilhelm Skram of Denmark.

eu4_31.png

King Vilhelm is a tight-fisted greedy guts and will hoover up 10% of your tax income, but there is a silver lining to his greed. Many events have unlockable options now depending on your monarch's personality which will almost always be a superior option. Obscurantism will normally cost a nation in unrest or prestige, but greedy desires drive Vilhelm to seek out a more...lucrative path.

All personalities will unlock such options in some events, as well as have events of their own. Who knows what your Scholarly King or Malevolent Khan will get up to?

Ruler Personalities will be a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be sold alongside the free 1.18 patch.

While on the subject of monarchs, we will be paying special attention to a very influential dynasty of the time period next week, but for now I must take leave. Vilhelm has shaken me down for every ducat I own and I must take care of this.

greedy guts.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Last DD you added some of the best features from Victoria, now you are adding some of the best features from CK, good job EU team stealing from your coworkers :p

Reactions:
I want something like: If the ruler has a balanced personality and you often go to war then the personality should change to militaristic. Same for the traits.

Reactions:
Hahaha, whoever is calling the shots on these dev diaries right now at PDS is such a troll

Show off a nifty little feature about ruler personalities that are fun but will have little effect on how the game is played

Then include evidence for features that fans have been clamoring for since release -- some kind of multiple heir system, some new button for controlling something related to the royal dynasty, while saying nothing about these particular features

Bravo to the master troll. Also go to hell, and I mean that in the nicest possible way :)

EDIT -- Rereading this, it might sound like I'm bitter, but this was meant as anything but. I'm really amused and just joking around.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Crap, looks like I've got to hold off my Austria playthrough...

Reactions:
Since the player is by extension the ruler of the country, will their play over the 10-year interval prior to a personality trait impact what trait they get? It sounds like "no".

Reactions:
Is there any way for the player to control what traits their ruler has? Otherwise it feels like there isn't much difference between this and the existing system. Just look at what you have and roll with it, since you can't do anything about it.

Random idea would be to choose a set of traits and you'd be assigned one of them at random. Then you can make sure you don't get something that's terrible for your plans, or have a chance to get something that's great for your plans. EX: Player decides to have their ruler run a business in their spare time, they might get meticulous (reduces corruption), greedy (reduces tax income), or charitable (reduces revolt risk and tax income). If they have them spend more time with theology they might develop zealotry (increased true faith tolerance, but lowered heretic and heathen tolerance), humility (faster prestige decay), or pride (more prestige from land and sea battles). They could also spend time with scholarly pursuits or with the art of combat. Another event could be how you choose to deal with the intrigues of court, etc.

Reactions:
Someone might have pointed it out already, but will those traits be affected by what is happening in the country? For example, could lost wars or allies' betrayals make king a pacifist or paranoid politician unlikely to approach diplomacy?

Reactions:
I didn't buy the last expansion (don't even know why, really) and haven't played the game in a while, but the last few DDs have been very promising. Really nice to see that no feature, not even core systems like rulers and tech groups are exempt from review and renovation.

Reactions:
It would be nice if we could have additional heirs to know that inheritance is secure or to know that we can contest the crown somewhere else.

Rulers should also have their own religion.

Reactions:
Nice. In Crusader Kings II, the unlockable options are normally indicated as such when you hover over an icon on the left side of such options. But it look like in screenshots it won't tell you if the options are available because of your ruler's personality traits when hovering over them / no such icons. Is there plans to change that?
The unlockable options are coloured green.

Reactions:
Now that features from other PI games are being added, how about adding something from the HoI series?

Partition plans where you agree upon them with your allies/vassals/friendlies what territories you want to grab and what you will allow them to grab. We already have strategic interest provinces but those are passive. We need a more active way of encouraging partitions.

Or better yet, after a certain date, the imperialism cb becomes partition cb when you negotiate with someone else on what you both or you three or more can take. This would avoid frustrating situations where one side peaces out before the war is over and takes your provinces or the wrong provinces.

Reactions:
Please make monarch points relate to gameplay too. Fight a successful war to gain mil, have personalities effect them, educate your heir when he's young etc. Anything would be better than such an important element being auto generated at birth.

Alternatively halve the effect of ruler stats on point generation and double that of advisors, or have this ratio change with admin level or government type, ie despot in 15th C is important, constitutional monarch in 17th C not so important.

Reactions: