• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good morning all. I'm in a bit of a daze, having spent the better chunk of last week plotting, backstabbing, frontstabbing and otherwise pushing Persian national interests at the EUIV Grandest LAN Party in Poland. It was an incredible event and a personal highlight of the year. As first act of returning to normal everyday game dev life in Sweden, I'm bringing you another Development Diary. Today we will look at a variety of features, both free in the 1.23 Persia Update and part of the accompanying Cradle of Civilization expansion.

Firstly, a free addition to the game is that we have added Religions and Cultures to Advisors, Rulers, Heirs and Consorts. Depending on where your advisors spawn from, they will have that province's religion and culture, which will be immediately visible next to their portrait, with the icon of that religion, and a star indicating if their culture is primary, promoted or otherwise.

advisors.jpg

Ruler, Heir and Consort cultures and religions will be visible in their tooltips and will primarily be that of their nation, but there are events, both new and revisited old ones to spawn certain peoples and show interactions between various faiths and cultures in your Court.

merchant.jpg

Does the state really need the money?

turks in court.jpg

Now while the Culture and Religion in your court is available for all nations, let's look at a nation where historically this mattered a lot: Mamluks.

Mamluks now have their titular unique Government type: The Mamluk Government, where the ruling class' culture is of great importance. The Mamluks do not get heirs or consorts but always get a new Sultan on Monarch death. The Mamluks nation will decide if they would like to be governed by a Sultan from their own cultures' lands or take a slave ruler from further afield. Historically and in our setup, they will be able to bring in Circassian rulers, who are seen to have high legitimacy over ruling the nation, but you can elect to choose a ruler from lands of other cultures within your nation. While these Sultans will have lower legitimacy, scaling with the amount of your culture lands they have, they will have another advantage in using their Cultural Interactions.

mamluk succession.jpg

Each year the Mamluk Government will gain 3+ruler ADM/DIP/MIL stat for each of their cultural interactions which can be used as follows:
  • ADM Action: Promote [ruler culture] in Government
    • Gain -5% all power cost for 1 years.
  • DIP Action: Sell off [ruler culture] slaves
    • Gain ( Development of ruler’s culture * 2 *current Age ) ducats
  • MIL action: Recruit from [ruler culture] lands
    • Gain ( Development of ruler’s culture land * 50 * current Age ) manpower
So while a home-grown Sultan may start with low legitimacy, you may prefer them over a more stable alternative to get more out of your interactions. Additionally, spreading and conquering certain cultures may be of more interest for the Mamluks.

egyptian slaves.jpg

Additionally, the Mamluk Government itself will give +2 to all Sultans' ADM stat, and allow extra cultures to be promoted, depending on the Government Rank of the nation. Promoting cultures is also 50% cheaper for a nation with Mamluk Government. Now I say "a nation with Mamluk Government" instead of just "The Mamluks" because an Iqta nation who holds Cairo while the Mamluks have been wiped out can adopt the Government for themselves.

Speaking of Iqtas, them themselves will see a change in Cradle of Civilization. an Iqta nation will have incentive to have subjects by way of their Taxation Policies. Every 20 years an Iqta nation can set their Taxation policies and gain a lump-sum of resources depending on their subjects' development and a modifier on the nation for the duration of the policy.
  • Efficient tax farming: +15% National Tax Modifier, +2*total subject development ducats
  • Land Acquisition: -5% Core creation cost, +50*total subject development manpower
  • Lenient Taxation: -15% Subject Liberty Desire, +1 diplomatic Reputation
Iqta Timmy.jpg

It has been speculated before but yes, Timurids no longer start out as a Steppe Nomad. They are an Iqta with a large amount of subjects and foreign cores. They start at Empire rank to boot.

So that's our lot today. Changes in the Courtroom as part of the Persia Update, with Mamluk Government's Culture Interactions and Iqta Taxation Policies with the Cradle of Civilization Expansion. Next week we'll look at something completely different.

Since our Dev Clash ended last week, our team is enjoying a break from Tuesday hostilities and, depending on whome, are busy enjoying their reflection in their trophy. Tuesday Dev Clashes will return in a few weeks.

@DDRJake

In the Dev Diary you mentioned changes to the Courtroom. Was that a mistake and you meant the Court as in the people? Or is that a tease and you guys actually are updating the Courthouse building?

Last edited:
That is the idea yes :) If we missed any I am looking forward to the bug reports ;)
Will be interesting to see how you do many monarchs around Germany, e.g. the Danish ones, since the dynasties came from Germany and they did keep speaking German for a long time, but culture wise they weren't really German after a few generations.

During this period, all but two Mamluk sultans were Circassian, as nearly all Mamluks were recruited from Circassia, so much so that "The Circassian State" is how it was referred to much of the time.

People have pointed this out for CK2 as well:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...istory-file-for-qalawun.853907/#post-19254436

But this was never fixed in CK2. Maybe they'll get around to fixing it eventually, but they mostly don't support history files in CK2 anymore.

@Trin Tragula
is Poland or Commonwealth able to get more Jewish advisors compared to other nations and are there any events that would cause for example certain province flipping to a certain culture or religion if all your advisors are for example Jewish?

also is it possible for Mamluks to be able to get a crypto-Copt sultan from Egyptian Mamluks and cause a religious disaster?

That is the idea yes :) If we missed any I am looking forward to the bug reports ;)

So, we may see a foreign culture for a ruler of a nation in personal union. For instance, I have a personal mod where an event chain used a method (I believe this method was used for Poland at 1444 start, not certain) that created a personal union between England and Scotland but with a twist: Scottish monarch actually ascended to the English throne while England remains a de-facto senior partner in the personal union, similar to the fate surrounding the Scottish royal house of Stuarts beginning with King James VI of Scotland/James I of England.

So obviously, there may be a possibility of bugs arising from this which I will have to keep eyes out for.

On a side note, it would be great if we could see interesting possibilities similar to Union of the Crowns (the personal union I mentioned above) and the union of Great Britain and Hanover. But since personal union mechanic is biased toward having larger country retaining its own monarch in creation of a personal union, this may require either some sort of overhaul or a special non-country flavor event chain. As far as I know, having a monarch of a junior partner at the head of a personal union was much more rare in actual world history and I think these are the only two historical instances I am aware of.

This idea of rules and advisers having culture and religion sounds very interesting but what exactly does it do? How does it effect how I play the game?

Will this effect things like the reformation? Can advisers change religion, it would seem weird if they couldn't.

Christian middle easterns don't name thereselfs musilm names like ali mustafa and muhamed they name thereselfs western names like Marko Augustus Paul Peter and egyptian coptic names like Mina and Makarios and any egyptian and western names

With rulers having a culture of their own it'd be cool if you had reduced revolt risk in the culture of your ruler, and perhaps the culture of your capital (one of Machiavelli's trick for holding on to new titles was moving your capital there).
Well at least in the early eras.

So why +2 adm for Mamluks? I freely admit I know little of Mamluk history but AFAIK they didn't exactly stand out for their administrative prowess. In fact, wasn't the Mamluk government ridiculously unstable and rife with factionalism and infighting? I'm looking through a list of Burji dynasty rulers now and none of them ruled longer than 15 years, with the vast majority not even managing a decade. Hell, quite a few of them didn't even last a year.

Last edited:
So why +2 adm for Mamluks? I freely admit I know little of Mamluk history but AFAIK they didn't exactly stand out for their administrative prowess. In fact, wasn't the Mamluk government ridiculously unstable and rife with factionalism and infighting? I'm looking through a list of Burji dynasty rulers now and none of them ruled longer than 15 years, with the vast majority not even managing a decade. Hell, quite a few of them didn't even last a year.
Likely to compensate for them not being able to abandon a terrible heir.

Likely to compensate for them not being able to abandon a terrible heir.

But didn't a dev say earlier in the thread he's been playing as them and almost always gotten god-tier heirs? Judging by their longevity and lack of dynastic continuity, I'd say most Mamluk rulers were far from that. They should have advantages but should be one of those government types that's fundamentally flawed and the priority for the player should be switching to a better one, kinda like the steppe nomad government.