• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Console Edition Development Diary #38 - QoL & Console-Unique Improvements

Hello Console Edition Community!

As some of you may know, when we were first porting Stellaris onto Consoles, we had to completely redesign the user interface for Stellaris: Console Edition. Porting Console Edition isn’t an automatic process, there’s an extremely talented team at Tantalus that handle porting the new versions of Stellaris PC into Console Edition.

If you want to learn some more about the process, here is the team from Tantalus talking about the process of porting Stellaris from PC to Console (from PDXCON2021):

Console Edition UI, like all things in game development, is an iterative process. We haven’t just dropped the UI on you folks, and then walked away, we are constantly looking for ways to improve the Console Edition interface, the addition of the radial menu is a great example of this.

The next update for Console Edition contains some more of these improvements, as well as some other quality of life changes that were ported over from the PC version.

Automated Research

Similar to a Science Ship’s automated surveying, Automated Research is unlocked by the Positronic AI tech. Once this is unlocked, you will be able to press X (on Xbox) to have the AI pick your research for you.

Stellaris Console Edition (91).png

Choose Your Crisis

Another new quality of life improvement that came over from PC, was the ability to choose your end-game crisis. Never seen the Contingency before? Now you can guarantee it!

Stellaris Console Edition (104).png

New Events

NO SPOILERS! There have been 10 envoy-based random events added in the latest update. As well as the “Manifesti Destiny” event chain, which is a factions-based event chain that has a chance to fire for non-gestalt empires. Be careful what you choose if Manifesti Destiny fires for you, the ending may be very spicy under the right conditions.

Bypasses Map Mode

The next update will add three new map modes to Stellaris: Console Edition. We’ll only be talking about Bypasses map mode today. Bypasses Map mode shows bypasses on the Galaxy Map, even when completely zoomed out. Allowing you to easily find Gateways, wormholes, and L-Gates that would have otherwise required minutes of frantic squinting and searching.

Stellaris Console Edition (93).png

Additionally, wormhole links will also be shown on the galaxy map.

Outliner Improvements

The outliner is one of those things that the Tantalus devs are always looking for ways to improve and make more accessible with a controller. The next update for Console Edition will have First Contact, Archaeology, and [redacted] featured in the Outliner.

Stellaris Console Edition (60).png

Additionally, Planets can now be reordered in the outliner, in outliner settings at the bottom.

Stellaris Console Edition (100).png

It is also possible to replace the planet icons with Planetary Designation icons from the same menu, allowing you to know at a glance what your planets are (or at least should be) doing.

Stellaris Console Edition (102).png

Fleet Interface Improvements

Multiple fleet selection has been improved. Where previously the list would scroll off the screen, now all the fleets are listed at the top of the Fleet menu window, and you can select which fleet to look at.

Stellaris Console Edition (96).png

As well, there is now a shortcut to get to the Fleet manager from the Manage Fleet window. Hover over “Reinforce” and it will tell you the shortcut to open the Fleet Manager.

Stellaris Console Edition (95).png

Cycle Button

Moving between planets/fleets/starbases has never been easier. The often under-appreciated cycle button in the next update will now work in more places. Using the View button on Xbox, or the touchpad on PS4, you will be able to cycle through your fleets, planets, and starbases at the touch of a button.

Radial Menu

The Radial menu has also been expanded. In addition to the things the Radial Menu currently does, it will now also show First Contact sites and Observation posts.

Stellaris Console Edition (98).png

Fast Scroll

As some of you may have noticed, we’ve also added the option to “Fast Scroll” in many menus using the Trigger buttons. Tapping fast scroll will take menu options two at a time, and holding down the trigger buttons will allow you to zoom up and down most menus easily, especially helpful if you know where you’re going.

Stellaris Console Edition (103).png

That’s it for this week, next week we’ll be telling you how to deal with exploring the galaxy when your galaxy map looks like this:

Stellaris Console Edition (90).png

• 16Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The idea with Auto-Research is nice, although it seems a bit pointless to lock it behind Positronic AI which is fairly late in the tech tree.

If you wanted the same impact as Auto-Survey, it should have been part of Administrative Ai

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will consoles be seeing Nemesis Expansion Any time soon?
sigh

every time someone asks it gets delayed (source- official stellaris discord server)

there is no known set date as to when we will get Nemesis on console

best case scenario...late spring, early summer

worst case scenario...late summer, early fall

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not a fan of auto research. I do like the idea of not having to select a new tech every time I finish a repeatable, but I wish I could steer the AI to pick the techs (including repeatables) that I need. I end up wasting time on tech I don't need.

The Bypass toggle looks great. Hope we can get that for the PC version as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any idea as to when this will be pushed out to consoles? Really looking forward to the automated science. Also hoping they fixed the ui bug with armies in the outlier.
They usually say things like "soon" when these questions are asked. I've been around since launch on console. When they do updates like this it's generally a couple months. They never really say much unless it's close.

Any idea as to when this will be pushed out to consoles? Really looking forward to the automated science. Also hoping they fixed the ui bug with armies in the outlier.
sigh

it's been delayed because you asked [source, the official stellaris discord server, console stellaris channel]

we don't have a set date as of yet

best guesses are either next month or sometime in the summer if things are on track [which i have 0 idea if they are]

• 1Like
Reactions: