• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 - Dev Diary #0 - The Vision

titus_gamevision.png

Greetings friends!

It’s my pleasure to finally be able to talk about what I’ve been working on ever since Stellaris came out (and before) - Crusader Kings III, of course! CK3 draws on the wisdom gained over CK2’s seven long years of expansions and patches - all the things we simply could not do in that game - and represents the natural evolution of Crusader Kings. Yes, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution; it’s better across the board and does not alter the core CK experience. That said, we did not carry over everything from every expansion and update to CK2. Rather than trying to do full justice to the less appreciated systems, we decided to go deep rather than wide.

The main design goals with Crusader Kings III were:
  • Character Focus: Crusader Kings is clearly and unequivocally about individual characters, unlike our other games. This makes CK most suited for memorable emergent stories, and we wanted to bring characters into all important gameplay mechanics (where possible.)
  • Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.
  • Player Stories: All events and scripted content should feel relevant, impactful and immersive in relation to the underlying simulation. That way, players will perceive and remember stories - their own stories, not the developers’ stories.
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
Now, you might say: “Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?”

That’s a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

I know this dev diary was short on details, but don’t despair - they will be revealed over the coming months!

• 13Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Well hello there! Nice to see a new face. I suppose we'll all be seeing a lot more of you in the near future. Looking forward to it.

We will watch his career with great interest.

Well, not only things that were lacking are being removed. We're losing also dynamic diseases for example. Sure, it will come back some day in a more awesome way, but it seems it will not be at launch despite working well in CK2
The devs never really liked the way they modeled dynamic diseases, so presumably they'll try to figure out a better way to implement them.

I really like this. As a long-time Paradox gamer, I've never understood the *thing* with CK (1&2). I have probably a total of 10 hours of gameplay in both CK titles as compared to a couple of thousand hours dug into PDS' other grand strategy games. But since I have enjoyed watching the stories other people make with CK2, I have tried my best to play it. But it's just not that intuitive. I'm hoping that CK3 will be better at doing this.

So because you don't like the game, you want it dumbed down?

Reactions:
Looking forward to another version of one of my favourite game franchises. I have had a blast with CK1 and 2 and if 3 will be as much fun I will have to book free time from work upfront.

I do wish there's a feature where you can finally play as the Pope (this breaks the rule that you must play as one dynasty though) and govern over the Catholic world in religious matter. Like, I do not like this new Holy Roman Emperor because he refused my demand in exchange for his request to be crowned by me, I impose papal sanction on him so that whichever bishop that crowns him instead of me will be excluded from the church, his dynasty is banned from repentance for three generations, his children must not be baptized otherwise the bishops who do it are excommunicated, etc.

Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking

Can we get playable barons then? And dynamic county border changes so the county borders are not static (IE, having a completely playable pyramid of Barans>Counts>Duchies>Kingdoms>Empires)

Last edited:
Reactions:
So all I see and read is CKIII will have more 3D animations, in-depth dynasty upgrades but about 50% (a guess when it's stated you can't even play two government types only in the first diary) less features compared to CKII?

Got 900+ in this game over the past years, and surely can live without 3D. But with so many features missing... Not sure.

I'll personally wait after maybe four or five DLCs to give it a try... I've had my lesson with Imperator

Reactions:
Well hello there! Nice to see a new face. I suppose we'll all be seeing a lot more of you in the near future. Looking forward to it.

Sergeant Nosretepdrakcir! Mwahahah, you are a bold one.
Nice to meet you all, I am Community Ambassador on Crusader Kings III, so you will eventually hear more about a-me!
See you around ;)

So there won't be Merchant Republics and Nomads, but will there be differences between certain factions? Or will the feudal catholics, iqta muslims and the tribal pagans play all the same way? Is it final that we won't be able to play republics or hordes?

And I really dislike the removal of supernatural and absurd events of the game. Just do what you did on CK2 and add the option of turning it off for those who don't like it.

I think (hope) based on what they've said that Christians and Muslims will play differently at launch. I do think that republics and nomads will be things that are fleshed out in DLCs and it's something that I don't mind too much since I don't really like how they play in Ck2. So instead of carrying them over the way they are, I wouldn't mind if they made the more common governments deeper and more enjoyable before releasing a revamped version of republics and nomads.

Reactions:
So because you don't like the game, you want it dumbed down?
There's a difference between "dumbed down" and "less opaque".

Reactions:
Since when were merchant republics "unnecessary"?

And the opinion of some shouldn't be the reason to remove historical stuff. What happened, happened. Christians slaughtered the Muslims, and vice versa. Deus Vult.

Merchant Republic are not uncesessary, but are broken.

Reactions:
You should really read more announcements. They pretty much stated that they are only removing things that werent working good enough. Merchant Republics arent necessary and maybe they will do a DLC with improved mechanics for it in the future.

Base CK3 has so many more features than CK2 would have at launch and CK3 seems to include much content from DLC's as well, like the old gods startdate, so that will probably mean vikings, probably lots of QoL changes and Holy Fury crusade mechanics most likely.

Merchant Republics added depth and versatility to the game and were fun to play with.The fact that you apparently don't like them doesn't mean they were unnecessary.

Reactions:
es, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution

I honestly don't have a problem with this. Crusader Kings 2 was a great game, there's little reason to radically change it for the Sequel.

Why throw out a winning model?

And as for doing away with Nomads and Merchant Republics? Yeah, it sucks (nobody likes losing content) but those mechanics were fraught with problems. Rather than spend months trying to fix those mechanics, it's better to have a more laser focus on core gameplay and get that right and build upon that solid base with even better Nomad and Merchant Republic mechanics later on.

Merchant Republics added depth and versatility to the game and were fun to play with.The fact that you apparently don't like them doesn't mean they were unnecessary.
They're unnecessary because Crusader Kings 2 is a game about feudal rulership. They're a nice addition, but they're not core gameplay by any means.