• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 - Dev Diary #0 - The Vision

titus_gamevision.png

Greetings friends!

It’s my pleasure to finally be able to talk about what I’ve been working on ever since Stellaris came out (and before) - Crusader Kings III, of course! CK3 draws on the wisdom gained over CK2’s seven long years of expansions and patches - all the things we simply could not do in that game - and represents the natural evolution of Crusader Kings. Yes, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution; it’s better across the board and does not alter the core CK experience. That said, we did not carry over everything from every expansion and update to CK2. Rather than trying to do full justice to the less appreciated systems, we decided to go deep rather than wide.

The main design goals with Crusader Kings III were:
  • Character Focus: Crusader Kings is clearly and unequivocally about individual characters, unlike our other games. This makes CK most suited for memorable emergent stories, and we wanted to bring characters into all important gameplay mechanics (where possible.)
  • Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.
  • Player Stories: All events and scripted content should feel relevant, impactful and immersive in relation to the underlying simulation. That way, players will perceive and remember stories - their own stories, not the developers’ stories.
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
Now, you might say: “Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?”

That’s a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

I know this dev diary was short on details, but don’t despair - they will be revealed over the coming months!

• 13Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
I'm so happy about this game. It was only a few weeks ago that I wrote a post in the ck2 forum about the kinds of features I'd like to see in a successor game, and it turns out that most of the features I wanted will be in ck3! It's almost as if you took my wish list and developed ck3 idea in a matter of weeks! :p (Or more realistically, you took my wishlist, went back in time and worked on it for six months).

Yea, I think removing them is kinda a mistake. They could have just do supernatural and historical game modes instead.
Though we must keep in mind that we don't know how long it takes to write all these supernatural events.
Or simple as a matter of good business model. Lock them behind a Supernatural DLC later on.
This time with proper Werewolfs :)

They already have supernatural elements in the game.

They have already stated that they want to add dinasty perks to impact the genetics of your dinasty and buy traits. Glitterhoof world pales in comparison.

Reactions:
please stop bringing this thing back. it doesnt actually confirm that itll be back. the only thing it actually says is that paradox and they alone decides what terms will show up in game. this like so many other statements is incredibly vague to let both sides read what they want into it.

Just like there was not anything ever confirming that Deus Vult was actually gone, just a SJW journalist of RPS stating that Deus Vult will not be in the game and celebrating it because he thinks of it as a victory in his personal crusade against the Alt-Right. There is neither a reason for celebration or condemnation and honestly there are more important matters like how Byzantium or the HRE will work, how long they will take to introduce naval combat, which DLC mechanics will be in the game from launch, among other things.

Reactions:
Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.

I like the rest of it, but this part scares me. Much of the joy of grand strategy games and CK's brand of RPG is dealing with things that are outside the player's control. I already dislike how much control games like EU4 give the player, and I loved the randomness of trait acquisition (and many other events!) in CK2. I hope they don't change this too much.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really have little patience for either a “wait for it all to blow over” or a “need to know basis” approach to information like this, which are the two main explanations I can see for their continued silence on the issue.
I find this entire debacle quite comical, and it's not something I'd really blame Paradox for. I don't understand the sort of journalist who'd choose to devote an entire paragraph to such an asinine topic. It's a red flag to me, and reeks of someone far more interested in the politics of video games than video games themselves. I've heard some questionable things about RPS but based on that awful CK III article alone I'd give them a wide berth.

Reactions:
Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.

I really like this. As a long-time Paradox gamer, I've never understood the *thing* with CK (1&2). I have probably a total of 10 hours of gameplay in both CK titles as compared to a couple of thousand hours dug into PDS' other grand strategy games. But since I have enjoyed watching the stories other people make with CK2, I have tried my best to play it. But it's just not that intuitive. I'm hoping that CK3 will be better at doing this.

Not necessarily. Beyond the gameplay in itself(if it's stuff like "your family built a lot of castles over the ages, you get the builder perk" I am on board, if it's level up and veery 100 years you get a perk ti buy then it's stupid), bloodline and their perks made sense because except PCS everything else was sjtff based on people recognizing how your ancestor was cool and having biases towards you.

If the new perks are "get strong heirs" then it's completely ridiculous.
Sure gaining some buffs (or penalties) because "my distant cousin was very successful and my brother made 15 bastards" could be great (and I hope it won't be just gaining mana to buy perk every couple of years), but I'd like to see individual bloodlines still in place.

I really like this. As a long-time Paradox gamer, I've never understood the *thing* with CK (1&2). I have probably a total of 10 hours of gameplay in both CK titles as compared to a couple of thousand hours dug into PDS' other grand strategy games. But since I have enjoyed watching the stories other people make with CK2, I have tried my best to play it. But it's just not that intuitive. I'm hoping that CK3 will be better at doing this.
I'm going to go out on a limb here - if you don't like CK II you won't like CK III.

Reactions:
Don't understand how it being tied to characters and having RPG elements has anything 5o do with it being a strategy game. Maybe it wasn't so much of a GSG, but lots of strategy games aren't.

I just don't understand your focus on it. Most likely they don't clearly state this just because it's obvious it would have almost the same strategy elements as CK2.
+ I think they already mentioned that they separate holding into different regions which you can move your armies into (you can see this even from screenshots). So if you think about it there will be more strategy involved, no less.

@Doomdark What can we expect province wise, we saw a few images with potentially baronies now being on the map. What will become of cities, temples and castles. Will this system return in the form of different types of Baronies or will they be merged together? What about areas which are generally quite rich in cities but would not translate well in 5 pixel provinces/baronies? Can we expect the paris area to have like lets say 5 provinces now to represent all the baronies in the previous games?

What will be done with duchies and regions? In history the term duchy was more a prestige title than a regional title at times. As seen by Brabant taking the title from Lower Lotharingia or Gelre simply being granted it while both regions would be found in a Huge Duchy of Lower Lotharingia. Or the slavic marches in eastern germany never fully being considered duchies until some gained the title some other way, with Elector of Saxony giving it to Meissen which was previously a March/Magriavate, similar with Flanders remaining a county/magriavate throughout its history while it comprises many different counties in CK2.

How will Petty Kingdoms function? Will minor kingdoms just be Kingdoms or could they potentially turn into Petty Kingdoms as a tier between Duchy and Kingdom or Chiefdom and Kingdom. Frisia with its 2 duchy kingdom and Britanny with its 3 duchy kingdom or the spanish kingdoms is really different than say France with how many duchies it has.

I just don't understand your focus on it. Most likely they don't clearly state this just because it's obvious it would have almost the same strategy elements as CK2.
+ I think they already mentioned that they separate holding into different regions which you can move your armies into (you can see this even from screenshots). So if you think about it there will be more strategy involved, no less.

They are literally saying that they are giving the player full freedom to create their stories. And already said that they are gonna implement "create your own religion" and "build a genetic portfolio".

Strategy doesn't mean history and it certainly doesn't mean "armies" and provinces.

Reactions:
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
I hope this will work out. In my opinion the problem isn't the overall difficulty or complexities of the game, but rather giving players a possibility to learn them.

A good example is Dwarf Fortress. A few years ago the game lacked any good help for newcomers to get into, which caused the player numbers to stagnate. However, since the DF Wiki has been updated better and with the YouTuber Kruggsmash amongst a few others making introduction tutorials that game's player base probably quadroupled without the devs removing any features or complexities to make it more accessible.

Reactions:
since there is more control on dynasty

could we have dynasty specific naming lists, or dynasty favored names
so family members would more often name their kids after a notable member of the family then use the standard naming list

So all I see and read is CKIII will have more 3D animations, in-depth dynasty upgrades but about 50% (a guess when it's stated you can't even play two government types only in the first diary) less features compared to CKII?

Got 900+ in this game over the past years, and surely can live without 3D. But with so many features missing... Not sure.