• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So long overdue that all must have assumed you got it already. Huzzah!

Congratulations.

Great work Allenby; I usually dont read Vicky AARs, but this one is very well done. Your attention to detail is outstanding, with fantastic use of images!

He's a CKer. To him, they're all the same. ;)

Argh, egads so it is. All those other forums do look the same to me truthfully as Im not in them very often. :wacko:

The starting date threw me off too. Isnt HoI a freakin WWII game? :D

I opened a browser on it this morning and minimized it after scrolling through, havent got to read through yet.

Alhazen said:
Argh, egads so it is. All those other forums do look the same to me truthfully as Im not in them very often. :wacko:

The starting date threw me off too. Isnt HoI a freakin WWII game? :D

I opened a browser on it this morning and minimized it after scrolling through, havent got to read through yet.
Yes, but this is with the wonderful The Great War mod (or TGW) which Allenby was largely responsible for creating. :)

Well, at nearly 40 pages, I'm thinking Allenby has more than one empire underway over there! ;)

Oh, I remember HOI 1 fondly! At seeing the amazing levels of detail you're putting into this, Allenby, I'm thinking I'll have to devote some time and take it in.

I will grant that I was a latecomer to interest in World War I, but partly through Harry Truman, partly through a study of Gallipoli, and partly through some great tales of the WWI naval war, I've rather gotten into it recently! Oh, and there was also that story of the Austrian double agent that was fascinating... some Austro-Hungarian colonel who spied for the Russians, I think. The book's name is Panther something, or Leopard, someting... :confused:

Rensslaer

Jolly well deserved, congratulations Allenby :D

Thank you, CatKnight, for graciously granting me this recognition of the work that I have done and shall endeavour to continue to do. The very high praise that you bestowed upon my AAR is most touching and it shall serve to remind me of the obligation I now have to those who have gone to the length of reading my work, of continuing in the same vane.

The very active and enthusiastic responses given by so many familiar posters is a most positive development - I am grateful that I have been granted with such a considerate following, who have gone through the labour of reading some of my lengthier posts when others would not have such patience. VILenin, anonymous, Oranje Verzet, Met, Humpers, 2Cs, coz, Yogi, Fenwick, stnylan, cthulhu, S-L, Alhazen, Rensslaer and E-man, I thank you most sincerely for your kind words and your perseverance.

I certainly hope that this instance stimulates even more interest in the AAR - the reaction to it has been much more positive recently than was the case before, and for that I am most glad. I ought to point out that there is still a lot left to cover - it was started in May 2003 and I have only got to the spring of 1917. The mod ends in 1924. :D

Again, many thanks, gentlemen! :)

Rensslaer said:
Oh, and there was also that story of the Austrian double agent that was fascinating... some Austro-Hungarian colonel who spied for the Russians, I think

I believe you are referring to Colonel Alfred Redl, the chief of Austro-Hungarian counter intelligence who was exposed as a Russian spy in 1912, committing suicide shortly afterwards. :)

Allenby said:
I certainly hope that this instance stimulates even more interest in the AAR - the reaction to it has been much more positive recently than was the case before, and for that I am most glad. I ought to point out that there is still a lot left to cover - it was started in May 2003 and I have only got to the spring of 1917. The mod ends in 1924. :D
Good, that means that your AAR won't be ending anytime soon. :)

looks at watch...Time for a new showcase, I believe. Any choice made yet, Allenby?

coz1 said:
looks at watch...Time for a new showcase, I believe. Any choice made yet, Allenby?

Nope. :)

And as I understand convention, I receive seven days before being obliged to announce my successor.

Thus, I shall tell you tomorrow. :)

Sort of - it's really more of a weekend to weekend thing. Problem was, the previous recipient was late and CatKnight had to step in to announce a new one.

From CatKnight's original post at the start of the thread:
2. At the end of a week (Sunday) the writer of last week's winner will select his or her successor, and we begin again.

Sort of - kind of. :)

Coz correctly pointed out my original quote, but in the Showcase's life we've drifted from day to day depending on who could announce a winner when.

I figure you're entitled to your week Allenby, enjoy it! We'll wander back to the weekend sooner or later. :)

I think you deserve a full week. :)

I have decided to opt for an HOI II AAR that is still in its infancy but demonstrates the makings of an excellent story indeed, largely because of the brave application of extensive alternate history by the author, who has successfully managed to combine various counterfactuals into a coherent narrative, which is both convincing and highly readable.

"Prussian Moderation" - An alternative German AAR by Vincent Julien is an impressively written AAR, and has the potential to be very grand indeed, assuming that he persists in the manner in which he has started. The best parts are certainly yet to come, and I do not doubt that it will receive the adulation it deserves in due course.

That is my selection. I am sure that you will concur that it is a very worthy one at that. :)