• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have discovered a grevious slight! The name of the State in which Nova Scotia is in is... NEW BRUNSWICK!
People from New Brunswick don't even want to be in New Brunswick, let alone Nova Scotians or Prince Edward Islanders!
Why all these amalgamation states? I must correct this at once!

Well Paradox seem to be very persistent on putting all those water reservoirs as natural lakes in Russia. Rybinsk Reservoir, Tsymliansk Reservoir, Kuybyshev Reservoir Volga-Don Canal... All those landmarks weren't present there until second half of XX century. Ural mountains are not where they are supposed to be, rivers are a mess. Where is Ural/Yaik river? Siberia in general is very messy.

I mean, come on, Lake Kama is there from EU3. At least it is not that bad like Kiev being 300km away from Dniepr in HoI3. But it's still sad that nobody wants to correct those obvious geographical faults. They are not latitude problems or name problems. :rolleyes:

I am not sure if replacing those water reservoirs with actual provinces is really that hard but regarding your second statement - I think you are correct here. Most of the players are from Europe and North America so this leaves us Eastern European players with a map full of geographical errors. Nobody cares about those "insignificant places" like Yaik river or Kama Reservoir.

I know it's a bit late but I just wondered why the game uses incorrect latitude for Eurasia and Oceania(?) Basically Europe Asia and Australia are much farther south on the map than they actually are on Earth.

Would it really have been that hard to increase the overall map size for North-South accuracy?

This was a Clio design decision in order to ensure a maximum amount of land area on the map as a whole without having to include huge areas of water in the Southern Eastern Hemisphere that would simply sit unused in the game if a standard max N and S latitude was applied to both hemispheres.

the latitudes chosen are as follows

Western Hemisphere : 65 N to 54 S (with a touch of compression at the bottom to fit in all of Patagonia)
Eastern Hemisphere : 72N to 43 S

the result, we at Clio felt, was a map that maximized the land surface upon which to play while still providing the look and feel of a proper world map based on the Miller Projection.

And to this point no one has quibbled about it, except now for you.

43 S? Wow, no wonder there's no Stewart Island for NZ. You must have compressed Tasmania, and I suspect we must have had some serious drift North... But I still think the map looks great, and it serves its purpose better than a more standard projection. A good call, really.

43 S? Wow, no wonder there's no Stewart Island for NZ. You must have compressed Tasmania, and I suspect we must have had some serious drift North... But I still think the map looks great, and it serves its purpose better than a more standard projection. A good call, really.

Actually we did shunt New Zealand northward to make it fit. Had to ditch Stewart Island, but I don't think that is a major problem since it would have been part of the southernmost S Island province in any case.

Yes, a little artistic license, but in the end the goal is to enhance gameplay experience. And hey, if people don't like it, they can always design their own map and offer it to the community, just as Xie and I did starting back in 2006.

The Map

This time the map is quite good, not as bad as in Hoi3 :)rofl:), but there's still a mistake: The Region that you called "Oberbayern" (Upper Bavaria) is in Reality whole "Bayern" (Bavaria), what you think that it's "Niederbayern" (Lower Bavaria) is in Reality "Franken" (Franconia). The real Oberbayern and Niederbayern together are Bayern. The territory of the bavarian state is greater than Bavaria.

So, you have to rename some Regions: Oberbayern --> Bayern, Niederbayern --> Franken.

PS: Did i ever said how great it is that only people with a registered Vic2 are able to post in this forum? I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy about this :):):):):).

PS: Did i ever said how great it is that only people with a registered Vic2 are able to post in this forum? I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy about this :):):):):).
Everyone can post, but only registered users can start new threads.

While we're at it:

Rotterdam and Amsterdam could change to other names as well. Northern Holland and Southern Holland. Those are the names they have today. I think that PI decided to name these provinces after the major cities because a lot of people think that the word Holland represents all of the Netherlands. And in some languages it actually does. A bit like calling Germany Prussia or Great Britain England, perhaps.

If not changed to Southern Holland Rotterdam should be renamed The Hague, because that is where the Dutch governments resides (yes, Amsterdam is the capital, but it is not the city where our prime minister and other representatives rule).

While we're at it:

Rotterdam and Amsterdam could change to other names as well. Northern Holland and Southern Holland. Those are the names they have today. I think that PI decided to name these provinces after the major cities because a lot of people think that the word Holland represents all of the Netherlands. And in some languages it actually does. A bit like calling Germany Prussia or Great Britain England, perhaps.

If not changed to Southern Holland Rotterdam should be renamed The Hague, because that is where the Dutch governments resides (yes, Amsterdam is the capital, but it is not the city where our prime minister and other representatives rule).

All provinces on the map use city-names, so why should two provinces in the Netherlands be different. It has nothing to do with Holland being confused with the Netherlands. :)

The citynames are usually the biggest city in that province. And Rotterdam is the biggest city in that province.

Province-names won't be changed, if you want to rename them then you will have to mod it yourself

But not all of them though. Few if any of Britain's regions are named after cities, nor are America's, France's or Spain's. Plus where areas are named after cities, the choice of city seems to be pretty random from within them.

This is of more than cosmetic relevance because most people will have less trouble finding 'Transjordan' than 'Ruwayshid'. I expect a mod soon enough so yeah, never mind.

EDIT: Are we talking about provinces or regions?

But not all of them though. Few if any of Britain's regions are named after cities, nor are America's, France's or Spain's. Plus where areas are named after cities, the choice of city seems to be pretty random from within them.

This is of more than cosmetic relevance because most people will have less trouble finding 'Transjordan' than 'Ruwayshid'. I expect a mod soon enough so yeah, never mind.

EDIT: Are we talking about provinces or regions?

We are talking about provinces :)

You got me confused already cause all English and French provinces are named after cities.

Region/states are something different. :)

f.e.

Amsterdam and Rotterdam (and Middelburg) are in the region called Holland

By far not all provinces are named after cities. And I believe Den Haag/The Hague was bigger then Rotterdam in the Victoria timeframe.

By far not all provinces are named after cities. And I believe Den Haag/The Hague was bigger then Rotterdam in the Victoria timeframe.

Which one aren't named after cities then ? Besides the 1-province islands or some obscure province in the middle of nowhere (=where there is no major city to be found).

And besides the fact if The Hague or Rotterdam was bigger, which one was economically more important ?

Also Rotterdam had 315,000 people in 1900, while the Hague had 200,000 people in 1900

Last edited: