• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I am loving it. Both the zoomed-in and zoomed-out ones (altough the different font-sizes on the later one are a bit chaotic.

Map latitude messed up

I know it's a bit late but I just wondered why the game uses incorrect latitude for Eurasia and Oceania(?) Basically Europe Asia and Australia are much farther south on the map than they actually are on Earth.

Would it really have been that hard to increase the overall map size for North-South accuracy?

ever heard of Map Projections? There are many of them like Miller or Mercator
Both of them have pros and cons but aren´t 100% perfect

Anyway, the Map looks great and the First one i don´t have to complain about :D

I've heard of map projections but they tend to keep the locations correct (by one logic or another) while altering the proportions.

Obviously I'm not "arguing" that they ought to delay the release, destroy all existing dvds and change the map, but I was looking for the logic behind screwing with geography by about 10 degrees :p

I've heard of map projections but they tend to keep the locations correct (by one logic or another) while altering the proportions.

Obviously I'm not "arguing" that they ought to delay the release, destroy all existing dvds and change the map, but I was looking for the logic behind screwing with geography by about 10 degrees :p

It is impossible to have a rectangular projection which is accurate and their logic was that they wished to have a proportionally large Europe, as there are many nations and provinces there, and that the rest would be shifted to accomodate.

Its as valid as any other projection and this conversation has been had many a time

You're totally missing the point. I think the projection is fine. I agree that an area-accurate map or a nautical map would be bad choices.

I am just pointing out that Eurasia/Oceania are much farther south than they should be. No change whatsoever to the "projection" would be necessary except to enlarge the top of the map and shift these land masses northwards.

Zoomed out not only looks cleaner, the game runs much faster when I use it (though it's still pretty slow). Obviously however you will need to zoom in for war, unit movement etc.

il faudrai mieux mettre "Mons" que "Tournai" comme "nom de région" car Mons était plus important à l'époque que les villes de "Charleroi" et de "Tournai" réunies (même si maintenant, Charleroi est plus grand que Mons à l'heure actuelle).

Translation:

It would be better to put "Mons" instead of "Tournai" as the region name, since Mons was more important at the time then the cities of Charleroi and Tournai put together (even though now Charleroi is currently bigger than Mons ).

(I quite agree BTW)

Nova Scotia: A request

Could anyone take pity on a poor Vicky Fanboy stuck in Germania with only a MacBook, and post some screenshots of Nova Scotia? I have the demo files, so I don't need information like Pops or Industry, thanks!

edit: Wow, I am genuinely impressed with the pops and stuff in Vicky II in Nova Scotia. A lot of the things I complained about when Vicky I came out are fixed, including the inclusion of Franco-Canadian and Afro-American populations, and a fort and port in Halifax proper! Cape Breton is still producing Lumber though, which is not unrealistic, but Cape Breton has been an important coal producing region for Eastern Canada since, the 1700's according to the internet. Its a much pre-eminent resource from the region. But all in all, Kudos!

Last edited:
about map modes overlay

There's a way to mod the game in order to avoid the overlay effect of all the map modes over the terrain map?
I mean: when in political view, even at the closest zoom, I don't want to see the underlying terrain features, just the color of the countries as we see them in higher zoom levels.

...and, by the way, the rivers layout in central Italy is fubar.

I have to say this is the prettiest map I've ever seen in such a strategy game, much better than Empire:TW's, however like Empire I find the fog of war to be a bit too dark and oppressive would it be possible for a kind modder to edit that(or myself if it's pretty simple)?

Also, if future patchers would consider adding a map feature or two, I'd love to see army and navy counters at some of the higher zoom levels, and if possible having the names of individul states appear in the state view mode much like the names of countries do when you zoom out on the political view mode.