• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We're drifting a tad off topic here. My reason for wanting to flip the culture of the province was so I could release Castille as a vassal giving her all her provinces except the CoT. Since that is not an option, I'll have to eat away at her (and portual, and Aragon), rob them of their CoTs and then force vassalage, force trade league membership and sell them their provinces back. What an infamy-heavy pain. I'll ease the burden by Holywarring the entire non-christian world since that seems to be the only bloody way to keep these heathans in my Trade League. Even with 200 relations and no CoT they are breaking away from me.

I haven't really had much of an issue with Portugal, Aragon or Castille, in my game. Obviously mods will be different, but at least in Vanilla the big colonizers rarely accumilate 500 cash (because of colonizing expenses I wager) or else they're always at war. Right now I've managed to nicely balance the three Iberian countries such that none are strong enough to wipe out the other. It's the landlocked big countries that are a pain - especially the ones that stay peaceful (ironically) because they can accumilate the cash to break out of the league.

First, sorry for the OT, just a final answer on that subject if you could indulge me..

Not quite sure what you mean. To use Cultural Unity the province culture must be in your group and the core-holder's culture is irrelevant. OTOH Settlement Policy changing the province culture would only make the core disappear if the core-holder is not in the same culture group as the new province culture so you might still need to use Cultural Unity as well in some cases.
Damn.. You are correct sir. As usual. That was poor code reading/memory skills from my part. I thought it was the dead countries cultures that mattered but I was wrong. Sorry about that. :) Go about your business people, nothing to see here. :p

If they are not in your trade league they can build their own CoT. Nip them in the bud by locking them into your league. Don't let any nation get too powerful unless they are your vassal.
Ah I see. I thought it would be unnecessary and only gives them immunity from getting kicked out of my COTs.

It's not quite immunity but bloody close to it. It is possible to compete away merchants who are in your league but it is highly unlikely. There has been a screenshot of it happening.

561F771730E5149AF82F08C98336081F2673048E

Austria is almost dealt with. Aragon, Portugal and Poland will have to be very carefully dealt with so they don't drag half of my league members into the war that I fought to hard to bring in.

I find excommunication can help a country lose allies.

I'm currently vassalizing pesky free-trading OPM's (ie: navarre, Brittany, ulm) with the intent of diplo-annexing them and selling them to non-free-trading vassals eventually. At the current rate, I don't see how any country (other than me) can ever get close to the 200 trade efficiency cap and start competing me out. The big European countries like England all seem to have really crappy trade efficiencies and sliders because their merchants hardly exist in any of my CoTs. The free-trading OPMs are a nuisance now, but they can only build one customs house (which adds +1 to trade efficiency) at best so I don't see how they can reach the 200% trade efficiency cap ever. Even with the penalty for having 120 odd placed merchants I think I should be able to stay on top till game end.

Long live the merchant republic :).

Thanks for that pointer. You should take a peak at Meiou to see how many of the little OPM trading runts I have to deal with. I'll be absorbing Holland and selling it to someone else soon that's for sure. Maybe piss-poor Gotland or Vastergotland.

My current idea, since Excommunications and Crusdades end in 1490ish in Meiou, is to charge east with Holy war and spend the next 150 years eating and farting out all the infadels. Annex them, even if I have to break truce and take two bites, then release as vassals so they have no choice but to be my trade league servant. If I cannot do that without giving them a CoT, I'll remove their CoT, force-vassalise and see what I can do from there. It's going to be a long trip though.

- If you're playing Christian, Muslim countries will almost never join your league willingly no matter how good your relations. Hindu and East-Asian countries are easier for some reason. However, if you declare war on them, force them into your league in a peace deal. Normally they will break their league as soon as the 5 years is up, UNLESS you improve your relations with gifts above 0 before then. So the way to go with most non-Christian countries is to declare war, force into your league, improve relations to 0, and chances are they will stay in your league until the next war or the reason below.

[...]

* I was wrong: A relationship of slightly above 0 isn't always sufficient to maintain islamic countries, even after being forced into your league by a peace deal. Closer to 200 is better, but even so, it's not a guarantee. Not sure why Islamic countries are so difficult, I have no problem with Confucian, buddhist or hindu. Also, the diplomatic ability of it's ruler seems to be a factor.
Just a very wild guess after stumbling on this discussion, but two of the three eastern Religions you mention have a +1 tolerance of heathens while Sunnis have -1.

If you want to do some !!Science!!, try tagging one of the more problematic muslim nations and give them some tolerance enhancing NIs or decisions to see if it changes?

Just a very wild guess after stumbling on this discussion, but two of the three eastern Religions you mention have a +1 tolerance of heathens while Sunnis have -1.

If you want to do some !!Science!!, try tagging one of the more problematic muslim nations and give them some tolerance enhancing NIs or decisions to see if it changes?

That would make sense. Haven't tried it out myself yet though. And lately the Muslim countries have settled down - they've either been eliminated, or now behave as nice obedient members of my league. Having near-max relations with them and denying them any viable alternative other than trading through my CoTs seems to help.

Welcome to the forum, btw :).

"...Holywarring the entire non-christian world since that seems to be the only bloody way to keep these heathans in my Trade League."

You could annex, send missionaries to convert, and then release them.

It's odd that it isn't allowed to send missionaries generally, instead of only to places you own.

"...Holywarring the entire non-christian world since that seems to be the only bloody way to keep these heathans in my Trade League."

You could annex, send missionaries to convert, and then release them.

It's odd that it isn't allowed to send missionaries generally, instead of only to places you own.

You don't even have to convert all the provinces to Christianity before you release. I released Wu - some 20 provinces with only 3 provinces Christian, and it released as Christian. They've been in converting the remaining provinces on their own now, though slowly. Kinda cool to see Chinese cardinals showing up.

Any tips on capturing COTs located on capitals?

For example, England. Good size country with no revolter cores in it. How to bring them to my benevolent league?

My greatest fear has been to see a CoT appear in London. So far, it hasn't happened to me because it's usually in my league and at war, even though England is huge and has some 3000 ducats. If it does appear, you'll have no choice but to work to starve it. That means forcing it and any surrounding countries into your league in peace deals. You may need to declare war multiple times, maybe even every 5 years if England doesn't become involved in other wars. Doing so will limit provinces feeding London's CoT, which over time, if the CoT is less than 200 should starve it. The smaller it is, the faster it dies. If you are playing Vanilla, London's and it's immediate neighbouring provinces produce grain and fish, which are dirt poor goods. This will make it ALOT easier. It may also help to first embargo England before forcing it into your league (You can't embargo a country that's already in your league, so you gotta embargo first), as embargo further discourage provinces in your league from feeding foreign CoTs. Building a CoT of your own on the British Isle might also help.

Another thing that can happen: I had Thrace surrounded, and even though Thrace is Coastal, they moved their capital inland immediately after signing the peace deal that ceded the surrounding territory, allowing me to concquer their CoT in Thrace in the next war. I reloaded immediately before the peace deal to see what would happen, and this time they didn't move their capital. Then I reloaded again, and this time this moved again. So I guess there's a probably of some sort the AI will move capital upon being surrounded.

If you're playing 5.1, good luck taking Kyoto, though. :p Now that one's near impossible.

Last edited:
The daimyo system prevents you from interacting with Fujiwara and the other Daimyo's, making it impossible for them to join your League. This means you can't starve Kyoto out. You have to break the Daimyo system first, and the mechanism for that is broken/bugged in 5.1. It should be fixed in 5.2, however.

Yep, you are meant to be able to end the shotunate system by occupying Kyoto and all the capitals but instead just get this spam and no end to the shotunate.

3CBBE85F5696EEAE8F979006A32C59952F32CDC0

Fixed in DW5.2 beta, or so they say.

That made me cry, I conquered the world as Ryukyu, but couldn't get Japan. Luckily, it randomly worked after I let the spam go for an hour, and now I have that stupid achievement.

That made me cry, I conquered the world as Ryukyu, but couldn't get Japan. Luckily, it randomly worked after I let the spam go for an hour, and now I have that stupid achievement.

No way, really? I gotta try that!!!

In seriousness though, you CAN disable the daimyo system if you have less than 3 daimyos and then occupying kyoto and the Daimyo capitals. I got lucky in my game and Japan was reduced to Fujiwara and Minamoto, and it worked. Now I don't got any more problems with Japan, than God. Until then, Japan had 3 f'ing stable CoTs from random spawn because it was the only big country left not in my leagues. And there was nothing I could bloody do about it. I could totally see late-game Japan with 6 different CoTs.

Last edited: