• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not especially related to trade leagues per say, but a way in which to exploit them as a non-merchant republic.
The use of embargo and then joining the league, so that if you are a colonial power such as Portugal and you embargo Genoa and then join their league, so that you have the neat competition bonus in their CoT (Its the closest Trade League so better due to limited trade range early on, otherwise go for the most valuable one) and all of the overseas trade you have, instead of diverting to Genoa (This should be a bug IMO) now goes to Lisboa and you can reap the advantages of a higher value CoT that you own, whilst having the neat benefits of Trade Stations.
Wondering if this is generally known or used?

Not especially related to trade leagues per say, but a way in which to exploit them as a non-merchant republic.
The use of embargo and then joining the league, so that if you are a colonial power such as Portugal and you embargo Genoa and then join their league, so that you have the neat competition bonus in their CoT (Its the closest Trade League so better due to limited trade range early on, otherwise go for the most valuable one) and all of the overseas trade you have, instead of diverting to Genoa (This should be a bug IMO) now goes to Lisboa and you can reap the advantages of a higher value CoT that you own, whilst having the neat benefits of Trade Stations.
Wondering if this is generally known or used?

If doing so lets to easilly stick 5 merchants into Genoa and keep them there then it sounds like a good tactic. If not, I'd say that the whopping 5% hit to trade eff. might not be worth it, especially if your own CoT is bursting with value which it should be.

Trade stations are awesome but in the end I find they aren't such a big deal compared to the income you should be getting from all that trade. Again, I'd likely not see it worth an embargo. I try to avoid those at all costs although I'm always open to new tactics with them.

I've recently played a sub-saharan African game and decided that to be a truely dominating merchant republic, you'll want to start as one of these lesser-known natives. If you conquer everyone who knows you at the start and never open your markets to anyone (and never lose a war) then nobody will be able to send merchants to your CoTs solving any problems caused by people breaking your monopolies or sneaking merchants in around your monopolies. Of course, this opens a whole new load of problems like making up for for ~150 year advantage every other country has on you but I'm confident these can be worked around.

If doing so lets to easilly stick 5 merchants into Genoa and keep them there then it sounds like a good tactic. If not, I'd say that the whopping 5% hit to trade eff. might not be worth it, especially if your own CoT is bursting with value which it should be.

Trade stations are awesome but in the end I find they aren't such a big deal compared to the income you should be getting from all that trade. Again, I'd likely not see it worth an embargo. I try to avoid those at all costs although I'm always open to new tactics with them.

The reason this is good especially early game, that on a ~1K CoT, the loss of Trade efficiency is made up by the new CoT; because in my mind colonists and mercantile policies go hand in hand, so you'll never by particularly adept at foreign competition anyhow. I mean you'd want to switch out the embargo later on for when you get more from your CoT's than you do through trading through Genoa as an example. But taxes dominate early game so it seems far better. Its especially lucrative for Portugal due to their capacity for early colonisation. Speaking of this tactic, I wonder if its possible now that there is a TE cap to have a series of embargoes and modifiers that cancel out the TE loss so you remain at 200% regardless.

I've recently played a sub-saharan African game and decided that to be a truely dominating merchant republic, you'll want to start as one of these lesser-known natives. If you conquer everyone who knows you at the start and never open your markets to anyone (and never lose a war) then nobody will be able to send merchants to your CoTs solving any problems caused by people breaking your monopolies or sneaking merchants in around your monopolies. Of course, this opens a whole new load of problems like making up for for ~150 year advantage every other country has on you but I'm confident these can be worked around.
Can you do this as Songhai and culture shift to Tuareg and hope for patriots? Unsure about how common it is nowadays, but remember from HTTT (I think?) Tripoli ending up in Ghana more often than not, and the staying power of Muslim-tech units helped tremendously.

I'm in the middle of the my first game with the Death & Taxes Mod. I like it. Most of my tricks still work, they just need to be tweaked.

i5t40o.jpg

The new Trigger Modifiers are incredibly fun and really compliment my non-blobby, strategic-and-valuable-provinces-only playing style: The Strait of Suez, Gibraltar, Dover, and The Cape all now give minor bonuses (as they should), making their acquisition very satisfying. It really creates the impression that you're slowly gaining control of vital nodes in the arteries of world trade. There's something wrong with Sound Toll, though. The events aren't firing properly.

There's a new Administrative Merchant Republic government type which allows you to actually upgrade your regular merchant republic at Gov Level 22. Unfortunately, the Administrative Merchant Republic apparently hasn't been coded into the events and decisions associated with Merchant Republics, rendering this new government type functional only in the most basic way (trade leagues stay intact).

Trade Stations built in your league members now pay dividends through an event that fires every 5 years, with the event depending on how many trade stations have been built. However, it requires the Merchant Adventuring NI, and even though its been buffed, I'm debating if its worth getting. I'm impressed with the elaborateness, though.

CoTs now require 800 D to be built, and random CoTs that start with low value now usually collapse in a couple months via a special event. CoTs also now disappear if Stagnation reaches level 20 (instead of Level 50 in Vanilla). This means the CoTs in Lisboa, Novgorod, Ile de France, Constantinople, and others, have all disappeared in the course of a few decades with very little intervention from me as the player.

The "Weaken Rival League" spy option unique to merchant republics is now much less useful since its limited only to targetting other merchant republics, which I think was a wrong move on the modders part.

The Minimum Centralization for Merchant Republics has been lowered from 0 to -2, making Revolt Risk less of an issue.

Overall, trade is now less valuable because most base prices have been halved. I've been particularly shocked at the reduction in the base value for Cloth, which now renders them not much better than Fish.

The events associated with the New World natives are pretty cool.

Finally, the coolest thing of all: I get to play as Florence. :) It starts as an OPM Noble Republic (which is easy to convert to MR) on one of the most valuable provinces in the game. I actually believe Florence spent a fair amount of its history as a merchant republic (look up the Florin, or Florentine banking), so its entirely plausable.

Nice, where can I download that part?

CoTs now require 800 D to be built, and random CoTs that start with low value now usually collapse in a couple months via a special event. CoTs also now disappear if Stagnation reaches level 20 (instead of Level 50 in Vanilla). This means the CoTs in Lisboa, Novgorod, Ile de France, Constantinople, and others, have all disappeared in the course of a few decades with very little intervention from me as the player.

I would love to see this event's coding. I didn't know stagnation was a value that could be used in events.

I would love to see this event's coding. I didn't know stagnation was a value that could be used in events.
I think you're confusing two separate features. The stagnation change is presumably in defines.txt while the event probably just uses the cot = no effect.

what patch is this, I only got v3.0 and I can't update, I got the Eu3 Complete

Complete isn't complete anymore.

@Kurblius, ah, I haven't gotten around to playing the merchant republics in D&T yet. I've been trading quite a bit though, and merchant adventures is really worthwhile as it doubles your trade range so you can reach those delicious Asian CoTs.

I know it isn't complete anymore, but thats what its called so I just call it complete, and I'm kinda *cough* P***** *cough* they did that, after all, why call it complete if it ain't complete?