• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zzzzz...

No blood! No bone! No ash!
104 Badges
Feb 27, 2008
  • King Arthur II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV

AAR-banner_zpsuip4y1co.png

--THE RISE AND DECLINE OF THE TURANIAN EMPIRE--
A Turkestan AAR

The children of Attila, of Genghis Khan, and of Timur Khan were ravaged by wars and division in the region since the fall of the Timurid Empire. The hated Russians, former vassals, now expands ruthlessly through the lands and rule the people with an iron fist. Now, with Russia in disarray after the defeat on the Weltkrieg and the Russian Civil War, Turkestan now proudly discard its chains and claim its ancestral empire back by gathering all the Turanian people under its banners.

----------------

Settings:
Normal/Normal
Tech Team takeover: ON - to reflect the intellectuals being used to advance the GLORIOUS Turkic Empire!
IC takeover: OFF

Yes! I am back, and welcome to Tribes of Attila: the Rise and Decline of the Turanian Empire - A KR Turkestan AAR! After a long duration of non-paradox games and real life, I'm back in the game! Updates will be slow at the start because there's a lot of events in the first years, events that I won't even touch on, so there won't be much gameplay content. However, I'm thinking of doing non-gamplay updates, to set up Turkestan's worldview and politics.

Regarding the KR lore, I think Enver Pasha's little adventure to Turkestan isn't in the KR lore anymore, but I'm still going with his crazy dream of pan-Turanism. We wish him luck.

Also, no "Remove Kebab!" jokes. I believe this is against the rules.

-----------------------

Last edited:
Finally something KR that hasn't been done to death. (Sorry Russia :()

I just wonder what his goals are going to be, because there are Turkic Peoples in pretty much every direction.

Description is added in the opening post!

I just wonder what his goals are going to be, because there are Turkic Peoples in pretty much every direction.
A good question. It's safe to say that the empire's core will be Central Asia. The notable outliers are Turkey and the nomads in northern Siberia. This will lead to complications on managing the empire, of course.

I've thought of a Naval-focused Pan-slavic Russia AAR. Then I realised that KR Russia is done to death indeed. Then France, same story.

Rise and decline

Why I think that you got stomped by Russia at the end? :p

Anyway, nice to see you back :D Subscribed

Subbed.

Another ''Zzzzz'' AAR? Wonderful. And this time with Turkestan. The moment when you play KR scenario with some overused faction and feel sorry that you didn't pick Turkestan instead after you look into Turkic-conquered Central Asia.

All shall bow before his majestic opulence!

2418054517_509b08bb0f_z.jpg

This is cool since in almost every Paradox game 60% of the AARs are done on the traditional superpowers or soon to be superpowers. 30% are those who were crushed by the 60% rise to power and the other 10% are nations that have special achievements or challenges or OPM to world conquerors. So this looks to be a refreshing change. Looking forward to it.

A desperately hopeless rearguard action could be entertaining if narrated right but isn't fun to play.

Personally I think Turkestan shall overcome the hammer and sikhle!

Opulence; he has it!

Personally I think Turkestan shall overcome the hammer and sikhle!

:rofl:

Anyway, good luck! :D Will be interesting to follow!

Rise and decline

Why I think that you got stomped by Russia at the end? :p

Anyway, nice to see you back :D Subscribed
Oh damn. If I got annexed by Russia, it'll be incredibly embarrassing as it would contradict my first update !

Thanks!

Another ''Zzzzz'' AAR? Wonderful. And this time with Turkestan. The moment when you play KR scenario with some overused faction and feel sorry that you didn't pick Turkestan instead after you look into Turkic-conquered Central Asia.
I've decided with Turkestan from the last AAR. That's been a while and I've been thinking of other AARs to do, but I went with this one. Yes, it's because the other ideas were used. :p

All shall bow before his majestic opulence!

2418054517_509b08bb0f_z.jpg
I just realized, with my beard, I look disturbingly like him o_O
IconofEvi Khan, your horde is ready for war!

This is cool since in almost every Paradox game 60% of the AARs are done on the traditional superpowers or soon to be superpowers. 30% are those who were crushed by the 60% rise to power and the other 10% are nations that have special achievements or challenges or OPM to world conquerors. So this looks to be a refreshing change. Looking forward to it.
Thanks. Hopefully, I don't get annexed by my neighbours.

A desperately hopeless rearguard action could be entertaining if narrated right but isn't fun to play.
Are you guys already expecting me to lose? The Khan is not impressed.

A new and refreshing AAR to the KR world! I've followed your AARs before, and I'll follow this one of course.

Opulence; he has it!

:rofl:

Anyway, good luck! :D Will be interesting to follow!
Awesome! Thanks!

puns... puns everywhere
This is my fault. My update got severely delayed T-T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

---Chapter I: Against All Sides---

The Land of the Turks

Excerpts from 'The Russian Civil War' by Jim Reeves; Quill Books, Montreal

[Turkestan] was born with the war of its independence during the Russian Civil War. An alliance
of Turkic lords rose up and defeated both the Whites and the Reds. However, the allied lords did not
achieve a decisive battle that will get rid of the Russians once and for all, due to their increasing
division on who will lead the still unborn country. As it was before the Russian advance into Central
Asia, there was no independent unified Turkestan.

The entrance of [Enver Pasha] into the rebellion changed the political equilibrium of both the alliance
and that of the war against the Russians. The runaway pasha, with his entourage of loyal Ottoman
retinues and mercenaries, place himself into a superior position where he can side with a Turkic lord
and gain leverage. [Enver] chose Alim Khan of the Manghit dynasty. […] With Alim Khan as
the overlord of Turkestan, he assigned [Enver Pasha] as the overall commander of the Turkestani forces.

Turkestani forces defeated the last White army in Turkestan with the victory over Tashkent.
Securing themselves in their new country. Turkestan became a reality.

Excerpts from 'Understanding how history is published': a learning material from University of Ottawa

One way to understand the mindset of a nation, its elite, and its people can be achieved
by consulting its history books. The Turkestanis of the Bukharite Empire (a term to differentiate them
from the Turkish of Anatolia) prefer to start their historical narrative with the migration of the Turkic
tribes from the Altai region, driving away the Iranian people in Transoxiana. It is a popular consensus
among Turkestani, Turkish, Mongolian, Korean, and Manchurian historians that all Turanian peoples
have originated in the Altai region. The narrative also appeal to many Japanese, Hungarian,
and Finnish historians, but it is declining in popularity due to the changing political landscape.

altai_zpsm4bpoucb.png

Altai Mountains

The migrating tribes such as the Hephtalites established their kingdoms in modern day Turkestan.
The ancient Turkic tribes weren't that well-detailed on either Turkestani or foreign books,
just as many countries have scant information on their peoples during the Age of Antiquity.

What is interesting is what follows: the noticeably reduced information regarding the Persian
Empires. Despite the ancient superpower dominating the modern-day Turkestani lands for more
than a millennia, the Persians were squeezed into a (metaphorically!) single chapter that combines
the Achaemenids, the Parthians, and the Sassanids. This bias is obvious once you take account
of the frozen relationship between Turkestan and Persia. The atrocities and the Turkestani
occupation is still a tense subject in Persian discussion.

persian-turkia-border_zpsrwbluaxm.png

The tense border between Persia and Turkestan

This bias is again noticeable in Turkestani books when they tackle the Macedonian-Persian War –
the war that immortalised Alexander the Great. As the saying goes: “the enemy of my enemy
is my friend” rings true when Alexander is painted as a foreign hero that liberated Turkestani vassals
fromthe oppressive Persians, and brought Greek knowledge and open trade routes in Central Asia
to many parts of his empire.

alexander_zpsb9iqpd1k.png

Alexander the Great
Some hardcore Turanist even claims that Alexander was a Turkic.
Such claims even received ridicule from the mainstream Turanist scholars.

With the arrival of Islam, the Persian segments were glossed out once again with the emphasis on
identifying states as “Muslim states” rather than “Persian”. The focus was on the other Turkic tribes
such as the Hunnic Empire, Cuman-Kipchak Confederation, and the Khazar Kingdom.
However, history gets meatier with the Seljuk Empire and the Mongolian expansion. The impressive
feat of the Seljuks and the Mongols are very celebrated: The Battle of Manzikert, Siege of Kaifeng,
Battle of Mohi and Legnica; and the invasions of Anatolia, Persia, Russia, and China.

seljukempire_zpsxv3okvmh.png

Seljuk Empire

mongolempire_zpsxsdxhqz2.png

Mongol Empire

The history continues with the separation of the Mongol states and the rise of Timur and his empire,
the Mughal Empire, and then the Ottoman Empire. The history did touched on the Russian expansion
and colonisation on the Caucasus, Siberia, and Central Asia – territories that Pan-Turanist claims
to be Turkic sacred soil. As expected, the attitude was explicitly anti-Russian.

russianinvasion_zpsfu8ylewy.png

Russian capture of Samarkand

Returning back to the Ottomans, an interesting thing in the coverage regarding that section is that
they put emphasis on the earlier parts of its history. Of course, they will not stay long on the eras
where the Ottoman was defeated in the Battle of Vienna and its following decline, nor will they give
the same attention when it became the “sick man of Europe”. Then, the empire receives a sudden
upturn with the Weltkrieg, followed by its wars and the Treaty of Bursa. The controversial part
comes when there is almost little to no focus in the recent periods, for obvious reasons.

ottomanempire_zpsu2e0mpfc.png

The Ottoman Empire has a pride of place in the pages of Turkestani history,
even if the empire has never touched the lands of Turkestan.

The content on Turkestan's recent history is still filled with Pan-Turanism and the romantic desire to
revive its declining empire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first update that should have been posted days ago :p I'm still trying to get the hang of this AAR writing business again.​

Last edited:
Nice historical overview! I wonder how much of it will translate into imperial claims.