• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm at work, when I get back home I'll pump out some screenshots. In Meiou it's a 1356 start and I was Scotland. By 1410 I had inherited England and all of Scandinavia. I formed Great Britain, released Finland, Sweden and Norway. Kept Denmark for myself since I needed more land and a springboard into Lubeck.

I have a half-century advantage in making my worldwide Trade League and trade goods are on the whole more valuable in Meiou but on the other hand there are, what,2 or 3 times as many provinces in the game. I'm currently trying to get the HRE into my league. I've vassalised Genoa, taken Venitzia and annexed Lubeck so I'm certainly the leading trade league. I only became a Merchant republic After forming GB. I wanted to remain Scotland but the bonuses for forming GB were too great.

Are you certain CoTs don't randomly appear in countries within a trade league? If not this is wonderful news. I'm currently trying to starve Flanders' wealthy CoT to death. It used to be worth over 800 ducats. Through occupying their lands and bringing others into my league, it is now worth only 150 and dropping.

You should check out the Meiou mod. It's got a few rough edges but it's the bet version of EU3 for me. I only play vanilla for multiplayer now.

Excuse the double post. Talk is cheap so here's a picture of Europe.

C565C3687B5A1D7F19F2FDB041C9AB5E3AF49286

Poland, Hungary, Austria and Iberia have all so far maintained trade independence thanks to their own CoTs. I will be starving them out and carving out new nations before long (just finishing off the bloody Saxons. They are refusing to play ball) Everyone else in the HRE is my trade buddy. Time to start looking further afield.

Nice! Question: Have you had any luck making alliances? I always get "Impossible" and am wondering if its got something to do with being a trade league leader.

lol, so you moved Great Britain to Scandinavia? Venice doesn't have a CoT? And I noticed you haven't gained control the Bosphorous Sound yet for the trigger modifier (assuming your mod's got it).

Some people are willing to be my allies but since people you liberate are automatically your allies I end up with plenty. Frankly they are more trouble than they are worth. I want to absolutely avoid wars because it will kill relations with my trade buddies as alliances cascade.

I inherited all of Scandinavia in one go and released Finland, Sweden, Norway, Gotland and Vastergotland as vassals. I've got the sound but the sound tolls were removed in Meiou. Not that it's too much bother.

I took Venice's CoT and Venice still exists as a landlocked merchant republic. I'm hoping that event fires for them changing them to an ordinary republic although everyone already left their league.

I took Venice's CoT and Venice still exists as a landlocked merchant republic. I'm hoping that event fires for them changing them to an ordinary republic although everyone already left their league.
If MEIOU hasn't removed the event it would fire almost immediately if they have no CoT; the MTTH is only 1 month (event 9580 in Republics.txt).

I see you're also trying to starve France. Does Castille still have it's own CoT? If it is, I presume it's staying in your league because it's still at war with someone? Have to admit I'm kind of surprise at the number of CoTs in Eastern Europe but I guess the lands are richer in your mod than in vanilla.

Paris is nearly dead. I'm now keeping Fez and Austria under occupation until their CoTs die too.

There are many more Eastern European CoTs both down to the increase in valuable goods and also the sheer bloody number of them. Hungary is going to be trouble since it's mostly culturally uniform. I can't break it down much.

Castille also finally ditched out of my Trade League Nothing to do with warfare, I guess they just finally saved up 500 ducats. I'll have to disasseble Iberia eventually.

Oh, by the way, you probably know this already, but vassals will never break your trade league. Useful against those rich OPMs that keep accumilating 500 ducats. Vassalization may also weaken their compete chance somehow, though I'm not sure about that. I know there are some triggers that require you to be an independent nation. I used this to great effect when I conquered Ming - I made it give me all the provinces with Wu acores, which I promptly released as a vassal. Now both are always in my league because Wu can't break from my league as a vassal despite being rich, and what's left of Ming is too poor to accumilate 500 ducats.

If I wanted to keep a nation's CoT but release the rest of them as a vassal I would do a settlement policy on the CoT then release the rest of them since they would no longer recieve my Lowlander (That's my culture) province.

As it stands I'll have to crush them down in many wars, force vassalise then sell back their provinces. With no decent CB going other than Trade despute and no nations to punch out of them, that'll be painful on the infamy.

If I wanted to keep a nation's CoT but release the rest of them as a vassal I would do a settlement policy on the CoT then release the rest of them since they would no longer recieve my Lowlander (That's my culture) province.

As it stands I'll have to crush them down in many wars, force vassalise then sell back their provinces. With no decent CB going other than Trade despute and no nations to punch out of them, that'll be painful on the infamy.

Ahhh... ok, so by changing the culture of the province to yours, they lose their core. I see. I always thought the way to go about it was the "Promote Cultural Unity" provincial decision, but I haven't tried either yet. Yeah I don't release countries that have CoTs unless I can destroy their CoT first. There is also another way to go around it for larger vassals: Acquire all the provinces of the country you want to release EXCEPT the one containing the CoT and then release those provinces. Then acquire the CoT province in a separate war, and keep it. I would have used this strategy on Ming had I thought of it sooner (by the way, did you know a CB on a vassal effectively applies to the mother country? Declaring Colonial Conquest on Ryuku allowed me to take Ming provinces for just 0.8 infamy each! And of course when I released Wu I actually reduced my overall infamy to 0. Since I have animalist vassals too, I'm just hope the AI doesn't think to do the same to me).

Last edited:
Ahhh... ok, so by changing the culture of the province to yours, they lose their core. I see. I always thought the way to go about it was the "Promote Cultural Unity" provincial decision, but I haven't tried either yet.
But you can't use Promote Cultural Unity unless the province culture is within your culture group so you probably need to use Settlement Policy first.

What an awesome trade treaty, Mr Kurbilius! Thank you!

However, i was wondering about beeing a Merchant Republic in a MP match. Im planning to play as Venice in a MP, but change quickly to free trade orientation, as the human players who will lead the major nations shouldnt integrate my Trade League.

Wich route do you, sir, recommend to a Venice Human Player, seeking for a neutral and tradeworthy position in europe?

Gratzie

In my experience once people start setting up their own CoTs, trade leagues become unfeasible and you're better off turning into an administrative republic.

But you can't use Promote Cultural Unity unless the province culture is within your culture group so you probably need to use Settlement Policy first.
Not quite true. It's the culture of the country that has to be yours, not the culture of the province. With settlement policy the other countries should lose the cores after the normal 50 years without war.

Not quite true. It's the culture of the country that has to be yours, not the culture of the province. With settlement policy the other countries should lose the cores after the normal 50 years without war.
Not quite sure what you mean. To use Cultural Unity the province culture must be in your group and the core-holder's culture is irrelevant. OTOH Settlement Policy changing the province culture would only make the core disappear if the core-holder is not in the same culture group as the new province culture so you might still need to use Cultural Unity as well in some cases.

We're drifting a tad off topic here. My reason for wanting to flip the culture of the province was so I could release Castille as a vassal giving her all her provinces except the CoT. Since that is not an option, I'll have to eat away at her (and portual, and Aragon), rob them of their CoTs and then force vassalage, force trade league membership and sell them their provinces back. What an infamy-heavy pain. I'll ease the burden by Holywarring the entire non-christian world since that seems to be the only bloody way to keep these heathans in my Trade League. Even with 200 relations and no CoT they are breaking away from me.