• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

DDRJake

Field Marshal
112 Badges
Feb 4, 2011
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
Since I'm running out of ways to win the game I will put some thought into a worldwide trade league as a small power. I want to have only a handful of provinces in Europe, perhaps around 15 with some colonies and a couple cot provinces for Asia.

What are all the trade league and CoT mechanics that are useful, in particular the factors in someone joining a trade league and what makes a new CoT pop up for free?

As I understand it, a country with its own CoT will break away from your trade league if they are at peace and a new CoT pops up randomly every 40 provinces or so.

Last edited:
It's 1410, I've inherited all of the British Isles and Scandinavia and conquered Lubeck. Now I have formed my trade league and can begin inviting members. Most of the HRE hates me unfortunately so it'll take a fair number of diplomats and bribes to sort that out. Bear in mind this is Meiou with much much more provinces and countries and no liberation CB (eek!)

Here's a curve ball for you since two heads are better than one: Trade league members avoid competing against each other but if you have a monopoly. perfect or otherwise somewhere and someone in your trade league sends a merchant there, he's going to be competing with you no matter what, right?

The thing I find hard to swallow is the enormous -x% compete chance from every single places merchant you have. That mounts up and since TE is now capped at 200%, you're eventually going to get kicked out faster than you can patch up your CoTs if you're really thinking worldwide.

I'm still in the early days of my Meiou Worldwide Trade League. How are you getting on?

I'm at work, when I get back home I'll pump out some screenshots. In Meiou it's a 1356 start and I was Scotland. By 1410 I had inherited England and all of Scandinavia. I formed Great Britain, released Finland, Sweden and Norway. Kept Denmark for myself since I needed more land and a springboard into Lubeck.

I have a half-century advantage in making my worldwide Trade League and trade goods are on the whole more valuable in Meiou but on the other hand there are, what,2 or 3 times as many provinces in the game. I'm currently trying to get the HRE into my league. I've vassalised Genoa, taken Venitzia and annexed Lubeck so I'm certainly the leading trade league. I only became a Merchant republic After forming GB. I wanted to remain Scotland but the bonuses for forming GB were too great.

Are you certain CoTs don't randomly appear in countries within a trade league? If not this is wonderful news. I'm currently trying to starve Flanders' wealthy CoT to death. It used to be worth over 800 ducats. Through occupying their lands and bringing others into my league, it is now worth only 150 and dropping.

You should check out the Meiou mod. It's got a few rough edges but it's the bet version of EU3 for me. I only play vanilla for multiplayer now.

Excuse the double post. Talk is cheap so here's a picture of Europe.

C565C3687B5A1D7F19F2FDB041C9AB5E3AF49286

Poland, Hungary, Austria and Iberia have all so far maintained trade independence thanks to their own CoTs. I will be starving them out and carving out new nations before long (just finishing off the bloody Saxons. They are refusing to play ball) Everyone else in the HRE is my trade buddy. Time to start looking further afield.

Some people are willing to be my allies but since people you liberate are automatically your allies I end up with plenty. Frankly they are more trouble than they are worth. I want to absolutely avoid wars because it will kill relations with my trade buddies as alliances cascade.

I inherited all of Scandinavia in one go and released Finland, Sweden, Norway, Gotland and Vastergotland as vassals. I've got the sound but the sound tolls were removed in Meiou. Not that it's too much bother.

I took Venice's CoT and Venice still exists as a landlocked merchant republic. I'm hoping that event fires for them changing them to an ordinary republic although everyone already left their league.

Paris is nearly dead. I'm now keeping Fez and Austria under occupation until their CoTs die too.

There are many more Eastern European CoTs both down to the increase in valuable goods and also the sheer bloody number of them. Hungary is going to be trouble since it's mostly culturally uniform. I can't break it down much.

Castille also finally ditched out of my Trade League Nothing to do with warfare, I guess they just finally saved up 500 ducats. I'll have to disasseble Iberia eventually.

If I wanted to keep a nation's CoT but release the rest of them as a vassal I would do a settlement policy on the CoT then release the rest of them since they would no longer recieve my Lowlander (That's my culture) province.

As it stands I'll have to crush them down in many wars, force vassalise then sell back their provinces. With no decent CB going other than Trade despute and no nations to punch out of them, that'll be painful on the infamy.

We're drifting a tad off topic here. My reason for wanting to flip the culture of the province was so I could release Castille as a vassal giving her all her provinces except the CoT. Since that is not an option, I'll have to eat away at her (and portual, and Aragon), rob them of their CoTs and then force vassalage, force trade league membership and sell them their provinces back. What an infamy-heavy pain. I'll ease the burden by Holywarring the entire non-christian world since that seems to be the only bloody way to keep these heathans in my Trade League. Even with 200 relations and no CoT they are breaking away from me.

It's not quite immunity but bloody close to it. It is possible to compete away merchants who are in your league but it is highly unlikely. There has been a screenshot of it happening.

561F771730E5149AF82F08C98336081F2673048E

Austria is almost dealt with. Aragon, Portugal and Poland will have to be very carefully dealt with so they don't drag half of my league members into the war that I fought to hard to bring in.

Thanks for that pointer. You should take a peak at Meiou to see how many of the little OPM trading runts I have to deal with. I'll be absorbing Holland and selling it to someone else soon that's for sure. Maybe piss-poor Gotland or Vastergotland.

My current idea, since Excommunications and Crusdades end in 1490ish in Meiou, is to charge east with Holy war and spend the next 150 years eating and farting out all the infadels. Annex them, even if I have to break truce and take two bites, then release as vassals so they have no choice but to be my trade league servant. If I cannot do that without giving them a CoT, I'll remove their CoT, force-vassalise and see what I can do from there. It's going to be a long trip though.