• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 3 - Weddings, wars, worries

Galway, April, 1430

Desmond, King of Connacht was sometimes called The Fox of the West (what his enemies called him is alas unprintable here due to possibility of it being read by children and unmarried ladies). An ambitous driven man he had been watching this past decade in alarm as Munster threw of the vassalage of Ulster and built itself an army and navy of sorts. Suddenly there were was a new sense of flux in Ireland. Anything was possible. So in the 11th year of Art O'Donnells kingship he did something.

He wrote a letter to the High King in Ulster telling him that due to events beyond his control he was no longer able to remain a vassal, but if they were interested in maintaining alliance he (the High King) should have his (the High King's) people call his (the King of Connacht's) people. And they would do lunch.

celtic%20saint.jpg

Above, The Fox of the West with messenger falcon (pigeons are for wimps).

To show how fabulously independent he was Desmond decided to set up a couple of marriages. He sent his beloved daughter Fionnula to marry the High Kings son and sent his rather less beloved niece Caoilin to marry Art I of Munster.

corrs04.jpg

Above, Caolin O'Donnel nee Desmon as portrayed by Andrea Corr in the recent tv-mini series 'Sex in the XVth Century'

Caolin was a startling beautiful girl of 17. She was also vain, scheming and a complete airhead with delusions of godhood and an obsessive interest in shoes and a will of iron. Should keep Art occupied for a bit while Desmond got on with things back home.

Cork, May, 1430

The wedding was a short one by Irish standards lasting a mere 3 days and with only 7 or so fistfights. Amongst the invited were the King & Queen of England (unable to come due to one of the half dozen or so wars in France), both Popes (neither willing to come because they thought the other might), the King of Hungary (mistakenly ended up at entirely different wedding in a certain German duchy that shan't be named) and the Roman Emperor (the Greek one). Oh and Moore, King of Leinster. A small sweaty man who seemed largely composed of beard and eyebrows he strictly speaking hadn't been invited at all, but had just wandered over from the next kingdom for the free drinks a chance to steal some silverwear (alone amongst the Irish Kingdoms Leinster was a still a Vassal and, well those bills need paying) and wait for some goodlooking girl to get drunk enough...

It was the happiest day of Art's life. He was marrying the most beautifulest, most wonderfullest girl in the world. Ok maybe her first words on seeing him had been "Wait, YOU'RE the King of Munster? Ew! You're like twice my age!" but he was sure she would warm to him. He ventured a smile down the table were she was filing her nails. "Wonderful! Eh Eoin?" His drunken best man slurred drunkenly beside him, then keeled over on to the table and went to sleep. Typical lightweight!

At the end of the wedding the beautiful couple retired to the Royal bedchambers and had well [censored] that wasn't even spoiled at the end when a very suprised sounding Caolin said (very loudly) "Wow, actually that was that bad after all - why where you like all nervous and stuff early on?"

Cork, March, 1432

The plans for the 19th birthday of the Queen of Munster took an unexpected turn in the first week of March. Caolin was feeling pretty happy with herself these days - she had a large spacious wardrobe, the ability to boss just about anyone around and had (after a quick look through the O'Donnell family portraits) no doubt whatsover in her mind (though to be fair Caolin's mind tended to be similar to the rest of her - beautiful, fashionable and entirely uncluttered) that she was the best looing girl in the kingdom. Why the other day some maid she'd been discipling had even complimented her intellect - Caolin had overheard her saying that she hoped the royal children inherited 'Their mothers brains and their fathers looks' - though why someone wanted to give them Art's rather average looks she couldn't say. Jealousy probably. She patted the small bump (she was three months pregnant).

Somewhat to her suprise she had even fallen a little for Art. Sure he was like totally ancient at the age of 35 but he was sweet and nice and, well it was weird but she just liked him even though she should have found him totally gross. Just weird like that.

There was a knock at the door. "Who's there?"

"Kiddnappers your Majesty." There was some loud but indistinct whispering followed by "er, I mean 'Room Service' your Majesty. Not kiddnappers."

Caolin relaxed and got up to open the door. For a second there she had thought they were kiddnappers!

Cork, slightly later in March, 1432

"THEY WHAT?"

"Um took her to Leinster your majesty. Seem's King Moore has been in love with you're wife for years but she never bothered returning his cards. So um, he kiddnapped her. Look he left this note explaining things..."

Art was too shocked to read it. Tired from the long slog back for Paris (uncharacteristically France and England were currently at peace) were he had purchased a pair of diamand studded highheels that cost more than the entire budget of Munster had during his first ten years on the throne as a birthday present for Caolin he had grumbled to his aide the entire voyage home (he truly loved his wife but to say she high maintence was like saying that Hadrians Wall was a fence...). Now though he sprang into action. His girl was in trouble!

"Raise the army, we're off to war!"

Wexford, May, 1432

It was like the Trojan war. If that is the Trojan war had lasted a month and half and involved no actual fighting. Leinster had neither an army nor a fort and their technical overlords in Ulster couldn't be bothered to come to their rescue so it pretty much ended up with a slightly dissapointed Munster army occupying Wexford without a fight (the Younger O'Brien promised the troops they could sack one of the abandoned castles they passed on the way back home which cheered the up slightly). Moore fled his kingdom in a leaky corcale which promptly sank in Wexford harbour. The soaking, bedraggled ex-King was sentenced to exile (rather than death) by Art when his wife told him what had happened during her captivity.

"He totally never touched me babe. I was just put up in the best room in the house and he'd come at nights and read these, like totally grody love poems. That didn't even rhyme!"

"Well ok then Cao. I'm just so glad to have you back..." he gazed at her lost for words.

And she looked back, her beautiful brown eyes filled with love "Me too", she patted her noticeably rounder belly, "us too I mean".

There followed a very long kiss.

As it turned out for her (slightly delayed) 19th birthday Caolin O'Donnell recieved two birthday presents: a pair of totally bitchin diamond heels and the kingdom of Leinster.

ScreenSave32.JPG

Above, the joint kingdom of Munster-Leinster.

To be continued...

Ok hope what happened is clear enough: Connacht cannceled their vassalisation with Eire (Ulster) and I took the oppurtunity to RM them successfully (leaving our relations at a mere -17 ;)). Then there was a Diplomatic Insult with Leinster which finally gave me a CB to go to war which I did. Then I annexed Leinster, which has made me less popular but I didn't have the money or the patience for a 20 years+ vassal relationship with Leinster. Besides it makes a better story I hope. :)

Thanks for the continuing reviews and hope you guys like this latest chapter.

Do chuid

Last edited:
Well that's our Caolin, dragging Munster kicking and screaming into the 1980's. ;)

I'm especially glad you like it - your 'Carthage Reborn' AAR was the first one I read and it kinda inspired me. :)

Do chuid

You are doing great for a tiny Irish kingdom. Now if only you could unite Ireland under one leader.

Wow, this is a totally happening AAR :rofl:

It's looking good for Munster so far! (And I think I have a crush on Caoilin :D )

Semi-Lobster said:
I never imagined fifteenth century Ireland had such short skirts! :eek: ;)

Well we were a civilised people. :)

So big choice coming up fans, is the baby a boy or a girl? :D

Do chuid

CatKnight said:
Wow, this is a totally happening AAR :rofl:

It's looking good for Munster so far! (And I think I have a crush on Caoilin :D )

Who doesn't? ;)

Now if only I can find similarly sexy Irish girls for the rest of the family (might have to have an RM with Ethiopia later to use Samantha Mumba...). :D

Do chuid

That might have been the shortest war in EU history, but great job nevertheless. You've also cleared the one-province hurdle. Btw, have you erected fortifications in Munster yet? How about Connaught, what sinister things have they been up to?

Chapter 4 - Armies every which way but home

Cork, April, 1434

"...so you see your Majesty that if we follow the concerted diplomatic and economic policy I have just outlined Munster-Leinster shall be the second most powerful nation (after England of course) in these Isles within the decade." with that Dorgan smiled, folded up his collection of maps and scrolls and waited expectantly.

Caolin blinked at him worriedly. She suspected what Dorgan had been saying probably made sense given his reputation, but truth be told she had understood about one word in three and started to fall asleep towards the end. Still the Queen of Munster had found that most people thought her look of vacant bafflent was actually a look of deep thought. After all if it was a Queen who said something then by defenition wasn't it totally wise? Fer shurr!

Andrea_Corr1.JPG

Queen Caolin I of Munster 'contemplating' advice on the affairs of her people. Not shoes. Honest.

"That sounds totally rad Minister Dorgan and I'm like totally sure I'll give you all the support you need!" That seemed to do the trick. The rest of the court nodded at the wisdom and Dorgan was beaming ear to ear. Phew.

Retreating to the Royal Appartments Caolin rubbed her temples. She could feel another headache coming on. Queening was hard stuff, especially without Art (gone again personally checking up on the other part of his -now - hypenated kingdom). Still she was suprisingly good at it - her amazing looks and genuine charm helped diplomatically (well after that one time anyway) and she had a certain confidence that Art entirely lacked. She had backed the 'Everyone Bathes' law of 1432 (a controversial law insisting that everyone in the kingdom take a bath at least once a week) and the slightly less successful 'Everyone become a Vegetarian' law of 1433 (less successful because the economies of most of Ireland ran on beef, still even now she had successfully banned meat from the Royal Family and any nobleman who fancied a steak at a banquet was out of luck till he got back home). Caolin herself had been a vegetarian since her 14th birthday, partly because she was fond of animals (well, fluffy, cute animals anyway) and partly because she heard it did wonders for the skin. As she planned to tell her daughter one day.

Aw, little Caoimhe who as always came running to greet her mother. At just one and a half, the Crown Princess and heir apparent was already starting to show signs of her mothers beauty, though her hair was much lighter and clearly took after her fathers side where blondes and redheads predominated. Caolin picked up her daughter and cuddled her.

"I got a letter from Daddy today Princess! He's totally coming home soon!"

Life was pretty good.

Mallow, later April, 1434

In a typical stroke of O'Donnell luck Art had reached the town of Mallow just North of Cork to find a note from the High King of Ireland and the King of Connacht:

Dear Art,

We declare war on you.

Best wishes,

Eoghan II mac Neill Og
agus
Cormac Desmond

Beneath that was a postscript in Desmonds handwriting:

Art,
Hope this unpleasantness between us doesn't mean that beatiful niece of mine and yourself will give Christmas in Galway a miss this year. Oh and bring along my little grandniece aswell!
Yours,
Cormac

*Sigh*

"Ready the army, inform our allies and someone please give me advice on how to break this to my wife. She is not going to be pleased.

Galway, September, 1434

"I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really sorry." apologised Desmond for the 6th time.

"Well ok. Just don't do it again." Art was feeling fairly charitable towards his defeated foe. Perhaps being kicked repeatedly in the arse by a furious (and stilleto wearing) Caolin in the middle of Galways busiest street was punishment enough. Besides he had agreed that, on reflection, Art would make a much better High King than whatsisface up North (his son in law).

connacht.gif

The kingdom of Connacht. Not pictured: large occupation army, public asskicking

Anyway Art had other problems. He had gathered the Munster and Leinster armies (total around 5400 Inf) and invaded Connacht only to find that (inexplicably) Desmond had forgotten to actually employ soldiers. A weary force of Ulstermen were easily diefeated and Galway was occupied all in less than 5 months. Piece of cake. Unfortunatly there were 6000 soldiers and the best fortress in Ireland (of the two). A long siege then.

Leaving Munster again in the hands of Caolin ("Totally!") he decided to launch an attack on Meath where a small group of Rebel Scum had controlled the hinterland of Dublin for (literally) years. Hopefully Desmond would get of his arse (er, or he would if he could sit down yet) and build soldiers to keep out the Ulstermen.

Which was pretty much how it happened. On the 28th of January 5176 Munster infantry faced 976 rebel infrantry and 846 rebel calvry before the walls of Dublin. Munster took 17 casualties and the rebels... well they were about. Parts of them anyway. On weapons and such.

At the congratulatory parade through Dublin Art took the oppurtunity to corner Fitzmark in the crowd and show him a portrait.

"Who is this?" asked the frowning burgomeister.
"My wife." grinned Art.

They say the sound of wailing and gnashing of teeth could be heard in Armagh.

Unfortunatly for Art, the army of Ulster invaded Meath that March (Connacht actually had, unbelivably a large army at this point of 10,000 men which was enough to frighten Ulster off). The second battle of Dublin was a bloody calamitous affair that ended with the bigger Ulster force being driven off at the cost of more than 2,000 casualties for Munster. Art was shocked at the scale of the devastation. He lay in his Dublin house for a week drinking and whining and thinking of going back until one night a knock came at door. Groaning and getting he opened it to find a slender figure, soaked from the rain in a plain hooded traveling cloak. To his astonishment the figure wrapped its slender arms around his neck and kissed him. And what a kiss. After a century or so Art reluctantly broke it off to get some air. Damn need to breath! He would have to learn how to breath through his ears again (he had learnt how do so as a teenager but forgotten how to do so due to lack of practice). The figure's hood feel back and Caolins beautiful raven hair drapped fetchingly around her neck. She smiled at him.

"Just heard you were feeling bad and I like thought you might need a bit of company for a couple of days."

Another kiss. Longer. This time she broke off first.

"Besides" she said with a teasing grin, "its my 22 nd Birthday tomorrow and you better have gotten me something..."

Next month the younger O'Brien moved the rest of the army up to Meath, and took command leaving Ulster encircled. Returning home somehow Art felt, this was going to be a long one...

ScreenSave36.JPG

The state of things, Ireland. Note inexplicably huge army in Connacht.

ScreenSave35.JPG

And the state of things internationally.

To be continued...

Ok. Excellent Minister (Dorgan), war with Connacht & Eire (Ulster) and vassalage of Connacht. Who I later had a Diplomatic Insult with ( :mad: ). Moved slider + 1 to Centralisation.

I decided to go with a girl (Caomhie). Think she'll take after her Mother? :D

Do chuid

Last edited:
How did Connaught get 10,000 men!?? :eek:

I guess they take their vassalage seriously. Either that or it's 'cause of Caolin.

Chapter 5 - The One with the excessively expensive Portraits.

Meath, April, 1439

"There you go. That should be all business taken care of." said the Younger O'Brien as he slipped the official document over to the English Officer. The officer, who was clearly a member of an old and distigushed family due to his noticeable resemblance to a horse signed the document in a way that made it obvious he was certainly not about to allow his noble flesh to come into contact with something handled by a mere Irishman.

O'Brien grinned and bore it. The spiffy new 1000 strong garrison that the English had (at last) bothered to set up didn't look like it would last an hour against a 100 of his handpicked vet. Though he had to admit that he was only unhappy he'd miss seeing them dealing with the High Kings vast, experienced force. Presumably the English had a contigency plan in such a situation. Possibly involving tea and plates of cucumber sandwiches.

The next day the 5,000 strong army of Munster marched home at last secure in the knowledge that they were leaving behind a secure speedbu... rearguard capable of dealing with anything. For a bit.

Indeed it was almost a full year before the High Kings army trundled down into Meath. Sadly the High King was not in fact a fan of cucumber and so took pains to explain his unhappiness to the English Officer over a period of several hours. Then he had a battle.

Cork, September, 1441

"The English want us to go to war with whom?" asked Art for the fifth time.

"Poitou, your Majesty." replied Eoin.

"Yes that's what I thought you said, but I've never even heard of the place. Where exactly is Poitou?"

Eoin and the other advisors exchanged worried glances. In fact none of them had a clue where Poitou was or even if it was pronounced "Pee-Chew", "Poy-Two", or even "Poyt-Ewe". Nevertheless the English embassy's note had been most insistent. Terse even. So something should have to be done...

"Er, France your Majesty" said Eoin randomly stabbing in the dark. The other courtiers nodded their heads enthusiastically. Every knew everything important happened in France which was safely seperated from Munster by sea and navies and krakens and some such.

"Very well then" mused the King, "we shall go to war!" The pronouncement was greeted by thunderous applause by the court and was promptly forgotten about by everyone until a passing Moorish merchant mentioned the English had won several weeks later.

ScreenSave39.JPG

Poitou. In France. Not pictured: Munster armies. I mean really!

Cork, November, 1443

"Could you like totally stop fidgeting babe for a minute at least" said Caolin as she practiced a few experimental poses.
"Um, like I said it's a really nice birthday present and all dear," said Art diplomatically, "but was it really neccessary to hire the a guy so expensive the Kingdom had to take out a loan?"
Princess Caoimhe rolled her eyes at this one. "But Daddy, Cousin Sháuna said her Daddy got one taken, and you don't look nearly as bad as he does!"
"Well honey I am actually 20 years younger than Uncle Desmond, who obviously has a secret gold mine under his basement that he has told me about since he pays me half his taxes yet can support an army of 10,000." He looked up. His daughter and his wife were pouting at him. Adorably. Damn.

"Ok" he sighed.

12 hours later

"See Daddy, wasn't it worth it? I look much better than Cousin Sháuna does!"
"Yes honey."
"And Mommy you look really beautiful, doesn't she Daddy?"
"Yes honey."
"And you...um...you."
"Totally don't look 47" rushed in Caolin to rescue her daughter.
"Thank you dear" replied Art, yet somehow looking at the portraits he wasn't comforted.

glovershirt.jpg
Rachael_Leigh_Cook.jpg
andrea-corr-06.jpg

King Art I of Munster-Leinster aged 47 (left), Princess Caoimhe aged 11 1/2 (center) and Queen Caolin I of Munster-Leinster aged 30 (right)

To be continued...

Ok, pretty short this time and not my best work but I was a bit stuck for ages, especially on finding a picture for Caoimhe. I settled on the youngest looking pic of Rachael Leigh Cook I could find, since she has the colouring and beauty to be Caolin's daughter. For Art I went with John Glover who looks a bit like an aged (and de-romanticised!) version of the Art in the original portrait. Hope people like this family portrait, happened purely by accident when I clicked 'Accept' for the 'Court Painter' by mistake, sending me into debt. :eek:o

Anyway hoped people like this one, even if it's a bit short. :)

Do chuid

Last edited:
This is turning into something very good indeed.

Love the pictures (well, who wouldn't?), <sympathy> for Art, for whom life seems to be one thing after another (though he does have Caolin, so not <too> much sympathy) and congratulations on some very good writing. Not to mention excellent gameplay, making something of a starting postion that makes Albania look credible (at least they start with a fort).

I did wonder at one point why you were liberating Meath for the English, but then I remembered they were actually your allies. Art must spend a lot of time at war with countries he's never heard of...

One question remains, though - who <ahem> arranged for Art to become King of Munster in the first place? Was it all a sneaky English plot? With cucumber sandwiches?

RossN said:
Uncle Desmond, who obviously has a secret gold mine under his basement that he hasn't told me about since he pays me half his taxes yet can support an army of 10,000.
:) and haven't we all been there. Break it gently to the kiddies, but I suspect Uncle Desmond might just be an AI. (At least he/it was nice enough to wait until after you defeated him to raise the army, rather than doing it before...)

Farquharson: Well, there was already a large English amy besieging it (when I eventually found it). Let my allies have some fun. ;)

Troggle: Hee! Just as Art pictured it! :D

jwolf: Thanks, and also damn straight!

merrick: In answer to the mystery of the death of Art's predecessor (and all his close realatives), well answers may be coming soon enough. Can't say more for now...

Thank's for the positive reviews and advice guys. More soon, I promise!

Do chuid

Now for something a little different. It isn't an update as such, more a brief 'interlude' in which we see a familiar face and get a taste of things to come. I may do future 'interludes' for parts of the story that don't fit the main narrative or are 'behind the scenes' if this works out.

Interlude 1

Somewhere in Munster, August 1428

Conn Murphy was lost. Very lost in a region of dismal bogland that must have looked much the same in the days of the Firbolg as now. And the nasty cut in his left arm where the pike had slipped through his armour was aching again. And it wasn't the only part of him that was aching either.

His horse had near killed him earlier when it had thrown a shoe an hour or so after he had fled the battle. The battle that somehow Art O'Donnell had forced on him. A battle that should not have taken place.

This morning he had been the uncrowned king of Munster. Now he was a wanted fugitive, who could only hope he was listed as dead in the battle.

Yet that wasn't the only thing that worried him...

At last, shelter! Some peasants cottage in the near distance. Probably out cutting turf...or whatever it is serfs do anyway. As he opened the door he noticed two things. 1) The cottage fireplace was home to a roaring fire that in any other circumstances he would be very grateful for and 2) someone he knew well was sitting quite calmly in a chair facing him. The familiar figure smiled, but the smile didn't quite reach the eyes which seemed like they where staring at the back of Conns head.

Suddenly he wished he had been captured by Art after all.

"My dear Conn, I have to say I was a bit dissapointed at you're failure to deal with Art today. Perhaps you can best serve ..." she began in that reasonable tone.

Conn Murphy, uncrowned King of Munster wet himself.

The door closed behind him.

Do chuid

Nice storytelling so far. You chose rather difficult country, but you're doing great. The next future I see that way: in thirty years you diploannex Connacht, then wage war with High King 'cos you want to be High King :)

I must say that your writing style is funny and also you've got excellent selection of pics. If the first queen looks like that, how lovely will be next ones...

Keep up the good work!