• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(31425)

Married Man
Jul 2, 2004
Europa Portugalis: An AI enhanced historical mod

Attention!!! Please do not post in this thread. Instead if you want to comment on or ask questions about this mod post in this thread here.Europa Portugalis discussion thread

EP is an AI enhanced historical mod. You can DL it here. -> Europa Portugalis EGUFSM(which modifies the flags and shields) is also available and can be DLed from here too.

EP is defaulted to install into "Europa Universalis II" file. This is the name for the EU2 file that comes with "Crown of the North." This is the version of EU2 that I currently have. If you have an older version, however, you may have a differently named EU2 file folder. Make sure you change the file folder name accordingly when installing, if this is so.

EP is designed to be played on the lowest AI aggression setting. It is playtested on veryhard difficulty level and with the 1.09 patch. A lower difficulty level can be used but I recommend veteran players use the very hard level. However, the AI aggression setting should always be on coward. If it is not the AIs will perform in a self-destructive manner which damages gameplay.

The purpose of the EP is to combine historical developement and better AI performance. All of the AIs will perform substantially better than anything, at least that I've seen so far, in the vanilla or any other mod that I've tried.

The EP is geared primarly for humans to play major powers in the game, but all countries should be fun to play as well. The major powers have the most detail in their AI performance as well as in additional historical events of which there are many. I recommend playing either Portugal, Spain, England, France, Brabant, the Timiruds(which become the Mughals), the Ottomans, Qara Quyunlu(which becomes Persia), Austria, or Russia.

Brabant can turn into Holland. The Timiruds turn into the Mughals. Qara Quyunlu turns into Persia.

There are a number of things that a new player of EP needs to be aware of. First of all, many AIs are more difficult to beat in wars, particularly early wars. Keep this in mind when DOWing AIs, they may not be so easily bullied as you may be used to. It's better to focus on economy early, unless the particular country you are playing was an early conqueror, like the Ottomans for example.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the major AIs are going to be very aggressive and successful in colonizing and merchant placing. You may not get every colony you want. All of the colonial majors, including the Netherlands, occupy their historically colonized areas very quickly. Expect major colonial competition. Also don't expect to dominate global trade as easily as you may be used to with the vanilla or other mods. The Netherlands in particular is very aggressive in this regard, and will usually be able to get high trade efficiency too. He may wind up hurting your trade come late 16th, early 17th century. He will be tough miltarily too, don't expect to be able to abuse him much.

Be careful with mid game wars. Those major AIs may still be formidable and they will have stronger economies, so expect them to be able to field tougher armies and more ships with less let up in fighting. Many of them are much more aggressive in wars too. They will even fight long distance wars better. It may be neccessary for a human player fighting them to need to field a larger fleet than usual as they may have one themselves.

Expect the Spanish AI to beat up on the Incas, Aztecs, Mayans, Borneo, and Sulu very well. The Spanish AI in particular will wind up being very rich by midgame, so know that he can keep pumping heavily during war because of this. He is a beast and will colonize very aggressively. Expect the Portuguese AI to beat up on Malacca and colonize very aggressively. Expect a stronger Ottoman AI, that is very aggressive and expands its empire consistently along historical lines. Expect the French, English, and Dutch AIs to rise to a position of economic and technological dominance in the mid game. Expect the Dutch AI to conquer Indonesia. Expect Persia to develope properly and hold its own. Expect the Mughals to conquer much of India.

Expect to feel the rise and fall of the historical empire you are playing. Expect that the AIs, expecially the larger ones, are definitely competing with you. Expect that plateau that you hit early 16th century in other versions of EU2, where the game is all downhill from then on and easy to the point of boredom, to simply not be there in EP. Instead the AIs will continue to give you stiff competition in trade, colonizing, the tech race, and in the size of their expanding empires. In EP the last 2/3rds of the game is NOT boring!

In EP there are no victory points(VPs) awarded for events, random or historical. Thus VPs do indeed mean something in EP, unlike other versions of EU2. The score total you recieve that compares with the other leading AIs when you save and exit or finish the game is worth paying attention to.

The setup of provinces in EP is very different than other mods. The tax values and commodity goods are significantly different over much of the map. Coffee and Tea do not exist in EP, as they were unimportant commodities in global trade for all but the tail end of the time period covered in EP. Instead gems and honey & wax have replaced them.

There are many other features that are unique to EP as well and it would be too long to go into all of them here but I hope this brief summary will help you in getting a headstart in a new gaming experience with an old and familair game.

I plan to continue to update EP. I may even ask for a seperate subforum if there is enough interest. I mod pretty frequently, so a new version every 4 to 8 weeks with substantial changes/additions is not an unreasonable expectation for any potential fans/users of EP. If you have any questions or comments, please put them in the "Scenario, Events, and Modifications," forum as I will frequent that forum often and will most likely see them. Feel free to PM me too if you prefer that or I didn't notice/respond to your post.

I would like to thank all the contributors to the AGC, EEP, and AGCEEP as I've used an old AGCEEP version as the foundation to start this mod. However, EP is very different than the AGCEEP mod. Also I would like to thank Khefren for some flags and shields that he has contributed and Zacharym87 for advice and events, leaders, etc., which he has made that have been added to this mod.

Last edited:
Ep 1.1

Attention!!! Please do not post in this thread. Instead if you want to comment on or ask questions about this mod post in this thread here.Europa Portugalis discussion thread

EP 1.1 has the following major changes.

1)Improved Ottoman AI.

2)Improved Mughal AI. He is techincally fixed. He now has cores on India and will in a game attack there. He is not as successful as I'd like him to be however. So he may be worked on and improved in future releases.

3)Victory Points(VPs) have been removed from all random and historical events. So VPs in EP can now actually mean something and give an indication of a players', both AI and human, performances.

4)Installation problems have been fixed. If this is not the case for you when you DL and install EP please either PM me or make a post about it in the Europa Portugalis discussion thread here. Europa Portugalis discussion thread

Other than these changes I've made numerous others but just not heavily concentrated in one area of the game.

Last edited:
Europa Portugalis 1.2

EP 1.2 is now available. DL it here EP 1.2

EP 1.2 has the following changes.

1)EP 1.2 is now designed to work on the latest beta patches, NOT 1.08, 1.08 1st beta, or 1.08 2nd beta anymore. So make sure to install the April 12th or April 21st betas when you install EP 1.2, if you do not already have them.

India has recieved many improvements.

2)The mughal AI performance has been improved. There are new Mughal events and many new Mughal leaders.

3)Many other new Indian country leaders have been added.

4)Indian terrain has been altered as well as the Indian setup.

5)Many other countries have recieved new leaders.

6)The Ottoman AI is much improved. You can now expect him to achieve roughly historic borders a high percentage of the time.

7)The Scandinavian AIs are improved.

8)The HYW sequence is refined and tougher for humans to conquer the other side in it.

9)The Brandenburg AI is improved.

There are many other changes and bug fixes to 1.2 as well. And I'd like to thank Zacharym87 for his help by making many of the new Indian leaders as well as new Mughal and other Indian country events. And thanks to all of you have posted in the EP discussion thread and pointed out human exploits, bugs, and other suggestions for improvements to EP.

Europa Portugalis 1.3

Europa Portugalis 1.3 is out!

EP1.3 has the following changes.

1)New commodities. Thnx. to Khefren, EP now has gems and honey/wax as new commodities. Quite a few provinces have them too. What was left of the tea and coffee provinces of 1.2 have been turned into spice. Spice now represents the few tea and coffee provinces in the game. Also the Mate provinces of south-central South America have been changed from tea, which also used to represent Mate to spice as well.

2)Spain has received a number of new leaders and events. The Spanish setup has changed quite a bit. Many Spanish events have been re-worked. Aragon can now form Spain just as easily as Castille.

3)The Dutch have received some new leaders and had many of their events re-worked. The Dutch revolt sequence has been redone and is now less exploitable by humans and more consistent.

4)England and Italy have their setups re-worked.

5)The Austrian AI has been toned down a bit. He is now slighlty less aggressive.

6)The merchant placing and sustainance of the majors has been improved slighlty. COT competition should now be slightly harder for humans vs AIs.

7)Thnx. to Zacharym87, the Ottomans now have some new leaders.

8)There are many other minor changes to EP 1.3 as well, particularly new leaders for a good number of other countries have been added.

I'd like to thank Underhand, G-Klav, and all those of you who have pointed out exploits or historical improvements to EP this last month or so.

You can DL EP 1.3 here.->http://home.earthlink.net/~idontlikeforms/

Enjoy!

Europa Portugalis 1.4

Europa Portugalis 1.4 is out!

EP 1.4 has the most changes of any EP release so far, except for 1.0 of course. EP1.4 has the following changes.

1)Germany's setup is re-worked, thnx. to Zacharym87.

2)The Netherlands have a number of improvements, including an Indonesian conquest sequence. Only Brabant can become the Netherlands.

3)England has been more fine-tuned and has a British conquest of India event sequence added.

4)France has an Indian conquest sequence added as well.

5)The HYW event sequence has been re-worked. France is much harder to conquer as England and France forms more consistently.

6)The merchant placing and sustainance of the majors has been improved slighlty. COT competition should now be slightly harder for humans vs AIs. All AIs have had their monopolist setting reduced to zero. This decreases the chance that they will trade embargo other AIs and humans.

7)Thnx. to Zacharym87, the Ottomans now have some more new leaders. As always, the Ottoman AI has been improved slightly.

8)Minor AIs have been tweaked slightly and now defend better and are slighlty less aggressive.

9)Some random events have been re-worked and a couple of errors in the random event file have been fixed, allowing the last 20 or so random events to now be able to fire correctly. Human random events, do not give as gracious of freebies anymore.

10)Thnx. to Zacharym87 Sudan has some added leaders and now consistently turns muslim at the right time.

11)The ability to exploit the Ottos early as Venice has been reduced.

12)Herr Doctor's Courland events and leaders have been added.

13)The Portuguese event files have been re-worked a bit and a new Portuguese Bengal event has been added.

14)Manpower all over the world has been re-worked. There is noticeably less manpower overall now.

15)Russian AI colonization of Siberia has been improved.

16)Various European province commodities have been re-worked thanks to G-Klav and others.

17)There are many other minor changes to EP 1.4 as well.

I'd like to thank all those of you who have pointed out exploits or historical improvements to EP this last month or so.

You can DL EP 1.4 here.->http://home.earthlink.net/~idontlikeforms/

Enjoy!

Europa Portugalis 1.5.1 is out!

The "Mac compatible" version, is nothing more than 1.5.1 zipped. I do not know how to make that work on Mac version. The Mac users will have to figure it out. And also check the EP discussion thread for the other changes that you will have to manually make in posts #143 & #145. And Mac users, assuming you get it working correctly, please report to me how you did it and I'll see what I can do to make a Mac version regularly available with each new release.

For the rest of you PC users, be sure to select the 1.5.1 regular version.

Also I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.5.1. I have not playtested it thoroughly enough to my liking, though it may very well have no significant problems as I have played a few games with it. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.5.1 as 1.5.2 with the fixes.

EP 1.5.1 has the following changes.

1)Reworked Brandenburg/Prussia and he is now very consistent as well as strong mid to late game.

2)Added a bunch of new Maratha leaders.

3)The AIs now trade better.

4)The AIs, particularly select ones, are less inclined to trade embargo humans. Be careful though as they will still do it. So don't assume that in 100% of the situations you can always dump 6 merchants at a time into their COTs. However you will notice they are much less likely to TE you.

5)Hungary, the Ottomans, France, Brandenburg/Prussia, Poland, Austria, Savoy, and the Ottomans all have their event files re-worked. The changes are mostly re-worked events, trivial events being removed, and events being rounded off so to speak to reduce human freebies.

6)There are more manpower tweaks in the game.

7)Thnx. to Khefren, there is now a new game starting icon. It looks like a little Portuguese flag. So look for that on your desktop and not the AGCEEP extra anymore.

8)Minor AIs are now less likely to engage in frivilous, unproductive wars. This BTW has the pleasant side effect of speeding the game up.:)

9)There are many other minor changes to EP 1.4 as well.

I'd like to thank Khefren and Zacharym87 for their help with the mod and all those of you who reported bugs and gave advice for 1.5.1.

You can DL EP 1.5.1 here.->http://home.earthlink.net/~idontlikeforms/

Enjoy!

It has come to my attention that sometimes during the late 16th century up to the middle 17th century the game slows down alot, sometimes even to a crawl. Don't let this disturb you. It will pass and become much more rare of an occurance past mid 17th century. Here are some tips that you can follow to help it run faster if it slows up alot on you.

1)Save and restart the saved game, because some other countries may peace out with a restart. The primary reason for mid and sometimes late game lag is because of too many wars going on at once between large AIs.

2)Turn off your music.

3)Go the the message box commands and turn off any that are non-essential from showing up in your message log and as a message box too.

4)Minimize your message log.

5)If you do not need to do anything for the next month or more, switch the main screen to religious mode.

6)If you have the "run while minimized" hack minimize your game and check it in a short while.

Last edited:
Ep Egufsm

OK, EP is now supported by EGUFSM. In order to use it, first install the regular EGUFSM, by Birger, into the EP GFX file. It is located here. http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151247 Then install the EPEGUFSM file available here, http://home.earthlink.net/~idontlikeforms/ directly over it in the now modified EP GFX file.

You can all thank G-Klav for the EPEGUFSM, as he was the one who adapted EGUFSM to EP, and of course Birger, deallus, and AXIN for the regular EGUFSM graphics.

Unfortunately I had to remove the not so MAC compatible 1.5 EP version to make space for it.

Last edited:
Europa Portugalis 1.6

Europa Portugalis 1.6.1 is out!

I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.6.1. I have not playtested it thoroughly, though it may very well have no significant problems as I have playtested it a good amount, albeit some time ago. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.6.1 as 1.6.2 with the fixes.

EP 1.6.1 has the following changes.

1)Reworked the Bohemian and Polish event files.

2)The AIs trade a little better.

3)Reworked the Austrian event file. Added new Austrian events and leaders.

4)Improved AI developement of central Europe.

5)Added new leaders to the Portuguese, Dutch, English, and French leader files. Added a few others to some other countries too.

6)Reworked Bohemian and Austrian monarch files.

7)Improved the Omani, Dutch, and Austrian AI performances.

8)Reworked the American independence event sequence.

9)And there are many other changes for EP 1.6 as well.

You can DL EP 1.6.1 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.6.1

Enjoy!

Ep 1.7

Europa Portugalis 1.7.1 is out!

I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.7.1. I have not playtested it thoroughly. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.7.1 as 1.7.2 with the fixes.

EP 1.7.1 has the following changes.

1)Made a large number of event additions to the Ottoman event file. I deleted alot of the obsolete Ottoman events. I reworked many of the old Ottoman events.

2)More than doubled the Ottoman leader file. They now have the fourth largest leader file in EP!

3)Added a number of leaders to Oman, Crimea, Austria, Hungary, Karaman, and AK-Koyunlu.

4)Added the Hungarian cores to an Austrian event.

5)Improved the AI performances of AIs that the Ottomans interact with.

6)Fixed the brokeness of the Ottoman and Mughal mid game AIs.

7)Fixed the executeable for EP, I think.

8)And there are many other changes for EP 1.7 as well.

You can DL EP 1.7.1 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.7.1

Enjoy!

Ep 1.7.2

Europa Portugalis 1.7.2 is now out!

I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.7.2. I have not playtested it thoroughly. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.7.2 as 1.7.3 with the fixes.

EP 1.7.2 has the following changes.

1)Added a few more ottoman events. Tweaked the Ottoman event file slightly.

2)Added some more leaders to the Ottomans. They now have the largest leader file in EP! :)

3)Added a large number of leaders to Deccan.

4)Made a couple of new Deccan events. Re-worked the Deccan event file. Deccan now has the monarchs from the Bahmanids, then Bijapur, then Hyderbad only. However Deccan can still turn into the Marathas in the 17th century if a human Deccan player so wishes. The Ahmadnagar and Golconda monarchs no longer exist in EP.

5)Added a large number of Persian leaders, especially Persian leaders for the 18th century. The Persians now have the 8th largest leader file in EP! :)

6)Added many Persian events covering Persian history up to the Afghan conquest of Persia.(I intend to add many events for 18th century Persia till the end of the gametime. I already have them mapped out and merely need to summarize the event descriptions and script it all. The next version should have all the planned Persia changes.) Reworked the Persian event file.

7)EP 1.7.2 is no longer zipped, as the executeable compresses EP already anyways. Hopefully this will fix any zip problems people have been having.

8)Added a couple of Qara Qoyunlu leaders and an event for them. Now only Qara Qoyunlu can become Persia.

9)Added a few Russian leaders.

9)Added a few Mughal leaders.

10)Fixed the formation of Afghanistan in the 18th century. He should now always form correctly.

11)Made it so the Timurid AI always turns into the Mughals and thus they will show on the comparison charts throughout the game, assuming they do not get killed off early. Human Timurid players can still turn into Khorosan, Transoxnia, or Baluchistan if they want to.

12)Egypt now no longer revolts from the Ottomans late game.

13)And there are many other minor changes for EP 1.7.2 as well.

You can DL EP 1.7.2 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.7.2

Enjoy!

Ep 1.8.1

Europa Portugalis 1.8.1 is now out!

I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.8.1. I have not playtested it thoroughly. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.8.1 as 1.8.2 with the fixes.

EP 1.8.1 has the following changes.

1)Added some Mughal events. Tweaked the Mughal event file in alot of places.

2)Added many leaders to the Mughals.

3)Made many changes to the provinces of India.

4)Added some new leaders to the Rajputs, Persia, and the Uzbeks.

5)Added a few other leaders to other countries.

6)Added some late game Persian events. My work on Persia is done now for the time being.

7)Changed the tech groups of many minor countries(I got tired of seeing Southeast Asia be so primitive late game. :( ).

8)And there are many other minor changes for EP 1.8.1 as well.

You can DL EP 1.8.1 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.8.1

As a footnote, I have only finished my work on the Mughals till the end of Shah Jahan's reign(about 1650's), so the next version of EP will likely have the rest of the Mughals finished as I am still working on them.

Enjoy!

Ep 1.8.2

Europa Portugalis 1.8.2 is now out!

I cannot guarentee perfect bug free performance in 1.8.2. I have not playtested it thoroughly. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.8.2 as 1.8.3 with the fixes.

EP 1.8.2 has the following changes.

1)Added some new Portugal events. Tweaked the Portugal event file in a lot of places.

2)Added many new Portuguese leaders. Portugal now has the largest leader file by far and leaders spanning most of the game too. :)

3)Added some new leaders to Calicut, Spain, the Mughals, and the Marathas.

4)Added many other new leaders for other countries, especially to Asian countries that fought either with Portugal or against Portugal.

5)Tweaked the AIs that fought against Portugal in the Indies to be more aggressive toward Portugal(see the * below).

6)Fixed the AI files of a few minor European AIs thnx. to errors pointed out by Lachlan.

7)Made some minor tweaks to the event file of the Mughals.

8)And there are many other minor changes for EP 1.8.1 as well.

You can DL EP 1.8.2 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.8.2

As a footnote, I still haven't finished my work on the Mughals. I'm about 4/5ths of the way through studying Aurangzeb's reign. I'll likely have all the work done on them in the next EP version.

*I think it is important to point out some of the changes in the flow of game for human Portuguese players. Portugal now has to fight many wars in the East Indies. The Turks in particular are a menace in the 16th century and the Dutch AI in the 17th century is more of a bully towards Portugal.

I found that it was very important for handling all the wars that a human Portuguese player have three fleets, one for the Indian coast, one for Malacca, and one for mainland Portugal. Also having all your important provinces in the Indies have up to level 3 fortification helped a lot. Having a large army in both India and Malacca was key too. Without these fighting all the wars Portugal will be plunged into will be very difficult. You will need them to hold on to your empire. Don't expect to win every war. Also I found that having at least 5 refineries by about 1530 was crucial. They are really needed to keep your trade income high as your supportable MP and support limit for navies will be taxed to the limit in all the wars Portugal will be fighting. Keeping the trade income high really helps a lot with support costs. Anyways I wanted to give these tips as without preparing for a lot of fighting ahead of time I think a human Portuguese player will get beat up pretty bad. Let me know how it goes those of you who decide to play Portugal. :)

Enjoy!

Ep 1.9.1

Europa Portugalis 1.9.1 is now out!

I cannot guarantee perfect bug free performance in 1.9.1. I have not playtested it thoroughly. So if you find any bugs, please make a post in the EP discussion thread, and if they are really problematic, I'll fix them promptly and re-release 1.9.1 as 1.9.2 with the fixes.

EP 1.9.1 has the following changes.

1)Tweaked the Spanish event file in some places.

2)Added many new Spanish leaders.

3)Added many new Uzbek leaders.

4)Added many new Mughal leaders.

5)Added some new leaders to Portugal, France, the Mughals, England, Persia, the Papal States, the Netherlands, Denmark, the USA, Dai Viet, Annam, and the Ottomans.

6)Added many other new leaders for other countries.

7)Added some new events to Dai Viet and Annam. Made some minor tweaks to the event files of Dai Viet and Annam.

8)Added some new events to Denmark. Made some minor tweaks to the event file of Denmark.

9)Added some new events to the Mughals.

10)And there are many other minor changes for EP 1.9.1 as well.

You can DL EP 1.9.1 here.->Europa Portugalis 1.9.1

As a footnote, Spain is much harder to play now and has to deal with many wars with large AIs till about 1675. I haven't modeled the wars after that yet.

And I'd like to thank Ryan for a number of new Danish, Annam, and Dai Viet events and leaders that he scripted for EP 1.9.

Enjoy!

simplicity vacuum cleaner

upright vacuum rainbow vacuum worth ge canister vacuum bags ,upright vacuum rainbow water vacuum rainbow vacuum locations rainbow vacuum cost ,kirby vacuum cleaners bagless vacuum cleaner review eureka 4874 upright vacuum best rated vacuum cleaners ,best vacuum cleaner eureka rr vacuum bag sanyo vacuum cleaners sharp upright vacuum ,rainbow vacuum best upright bagless vacuums cordless hepa vacuum buy eureka vacuum ,eureka vacuum cleaner bagless vacuum cleaner eureka vacuum manual bagless canister vacuum ,bagless vacuum cleaner vacuum cleaners canisters ge canister vacuum vacuum cleaner accessories ,canister vacuums kirby vacuum light vacuum cleaner bags eureka rainbow vacuum cleaners ,cordless vacuum beam vacuum cleaner eureka vacuum brush eureka vacuums filters ,vacuum cleaners eureka upright vacuum panasonic canister vacuum mcv9644 eureka vacuum bags .