• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unternehmen Barbarossa
Treachery

0200 July 20th 1941
Heeresgruppen Mitte
Secret Meeting

After the initial shock of Rundstedt's murder, the group went straight to work. Eventually it was decided to stage a coup d'etat against the government in Berlin, purging the NSDAP from top to bottom. Major party figures were to be imprisoned and executed after a trial. The SS was to be dismantled, absorbed into the Wehrmacht and its leadership destroyed.

The main coup was to be followed by similar ones in the German occupied administrations, (ie. France and the Low countries and occupied Soviet Union territories.

The makeup of the new government was also decided. Each major general in the conspiracy was to hold a new, and as of yet, undetermined office in the administration. Raeder is to be held as Chief of the Navy and allowed the reconstruction of the Kriegsmarine into a carrier-focused fleet to dominate the seas.

The OKW reserve in Berlin, which contains 18 battle ready divisions, is to be used to clear any 'obstacles'. (Mainly SS and SA combat elements). Afterwhich, they are to be sent to the Finnish front.

It was also decided that the war against the SU was to be continued, the German leadership was determined to maintain its lebensraum in the east. A "Ost Kolonial Office" was also established to overlook the colonization of the Eastern territories. Lands east of the Volga would continue to belong to the Soviet Union, or any power that rose out of the ashes.

The planned date for the coup is decided at September 15th. Codeword "Freidrich".

[Signature of Feldsmarshall von Bock]

Last edited:
Hals und Beinbruch, herr feldmarschall.

Best of luck!

Unternehmen Barbarossa

heydte.jpg
Officers on the Eastern front plotting out the days progress.​

1300 July 13 1941
Heeresgruppen Sud
Southern Russia - Ukraine

While treachery was afoot within the highest ranks of the OKW, and the shock of Rundstedt's murder still running wild through the ranks (though Hitler still believes he died in a friendly fire incident) the campaign continued to grind through the Russian countryside. In an attack of the many attacks ordered on that day, German troops trampled over the demoralized, unorganized and depleted Red Army soldiers, (local superiority still played a minor role in the campaign). Although they managed to absorb the first shocks, the Soviets continued to reinforce the province. Unfortunately the troops were fed in a piecemeal way and in turn became a meal; for the crows that is.

Kaiserreich0629.png

Kaiserreich0631.png

0900 July 17 1941
Heeresgruppen Nord
Germany Proper - Memelland

Speaking of things being turned into crowmeal, we must turn to the unfortunate incompetence that is the northern front. In theory and on paper, the Soviets held an advantage over HQ Nord. Brassly and boldly, 15 Soviet divisions marched and entered the German city of Memel. The traditional plundering and looting followed. Yet as fortunes smiled upon the Soviets, it revealed its true hand: it was a giant trap. Nine Wehrmacht divisions proceeded to destroy any combat-worthy elements.

Kaiserreich0633.png

1900 July 17 1941
Heeresgruppen Sud
Southern Russia - Ukraine

With the fall of Vinnitsa, German forces came ever closer to their desired objective, the encirclement of all forces in Bessarabia. Next on the list, Mogilov Podolski.

Kaiserreich0634.png

0800 July 19th 1941
Heeresgruppen Nord
Northern Russia - Lithuania

manst_2.jpg
Manstein pouring over topographical maps of the region.​

Here is the detailed operational planning for Heeresgruppen Nord. The main plans involve for Group 1 to sidestep Riga and advance rapidly into the Estonian heartland, and indirectly to Leningrad. Group 2 is to take Riga and destroy the soon to be encircled troops.

Following which, our rapid penetration of the SU has been achieved and both Nord and Mitte have reached the River Stop Zone. Group Sud is still encountering heavy resistance and is not expected to occupy the Dnieper bend until late July early August.

Kaiserreich0635.png

Kaiserreich0636.png

Question: Which one do you prefer, the indepth coverage of the introduction, or the minute by minute reports as your currently seeing them?

Last edited:
I like the combination of both, but if I had to pick one I would go with the second. Pictures always paint a pretty, uhm... picture. Speaks a thousand words, and so on.

I like both styles, perhaps a mix between the two would be best. They were both equally well-written, so it's your call.

rcduggan said:
I like both styles, perhaps a mix between the two would be best. They were both equally well-written, so it's your call.

Agreed, and props on that advance! Like a knife through warm butter. :D

Unternehmen Barbarossa
eagle.png

0100 July 24 1941
Heeresgruppen Nord
Northern Russia - Estonia/Latvia

As always, the Bolshevik menace has disrupted our well laid plans. And as always it works to our advantage. Incompetent Soviet commanders decided to attack the superior German forces outside the city of Riga. Soviet commanders are too much like their superior, paranoid and believe faulty intellegence.

Kaiserreich0639.png

0500 July 24 1941
Heeresgruppen Mitte
Central Russia/Russia Proper

With the overwhelming defeat of Soviet forces outside Smolensk, the German Wehrmacht grows evercloser to their desired objective. Moscow. Panzer commanders and their crews believe that the golden spirals of the great Soviet cities are theirs... the world will see how right they are.

Kaiserreich0640.png

0800 July 30 1941
Heeresgruppen Sud
Southern Ukraine - Moldova

Success, success and more success falls upon the shoulders of the brave soldiers of HQ Sud. Our recent victories over the heaviest concentration of Soviet troops so far confirms our longstanding knowledge of Russian military ineptness. Those centuries of isolation from the Kultur of Europe has left their military system resembling a ripe fruit; perfect for picking.

With the decisive defeat at Odessa we are now able to isolate a large chunck of Soviet troops still trapped on the Rumanian frontier. Our intellegence reports indicate around 20-23 combat ready troops (though less each day).

Kaiserreich0644.png

Kaiserreich0648.png

0900 August 01 1941
Heeresgruppen Nord
Northern Russia - Estonia

Our rapid advance through the Baltic states has left four Soviet divisions isolated in the city of Tallinn, which were promptly destroyed (Three infantry divisions and one tank division). Now we are in a position to close Russias 'Window to the West' or in otherwords: Leningrad.

Kaiserreich0645.png

1000 August 01 1941
Berlin, Grossdeutschland
Reichschancellory

Here is the complete list of our technological projects currently in progress, which mostly lay in the interests of our Russian campaign. Although Heisenburg's project is being watched with the utmost enthusiasm by the Fuhrer...

Kaiserreich0647.png

pol18.jpg
German troops posing inside the city of Odessa.​

Thanks for the comments guys, its nice to see that people still read AARs' not on page one. Keep em coming!

Last edited:
rcduggan said:

I agree. Knowing the effort that it is taking you, I can only say: as you prefer, Merlow. But keep it going!

Nice effort killing the Bolsheviks....I hope that the coup will succeed! Get Leningrad and Moscow and clear Finland. Then turn your attention to the Caucasus and destroy those divisions with all the power you got..in the meantime get stalingrad as well..then you should get a peace proposal from SU and please establish Ukraine and a new Russian state.... :D

Tim

Excellent AAR...I love the battles on the Eastern Front...Barbarossa was a giant clash of arms....mostly German in the early years.....only to be overwhelmed by the Russkies......

Keep it up..

KLorberau

@Timmy:I dont know about a new Russian state, but Ukraine is certainly an option especially if I enlarge it dramatically. Of course, no new states are going to be assembled before the peace talks, unless I release specific countries for manpower and TC reasons.

@Kurt Steiner: effort? you mean the effort to combat my own laziness and procrastination? =)

Unternehmen Barbarossa
eagle.png

0600 August 04 1941
Heeresgruppen Sud
Southern Ukraine - Bessarabia

With 30 divisions worth of men safely pocketed in the rich agricultural lands of Bessarabia, the Wehrmacht troops (with Romanian troops in reserves/auxilliaries) began to slow unhinge and ultimately destroy the isolated Soviet troops.

Kaiserreich0649.png

0700 August 05 1941
Heeresgruppen Sud
Southern Ukraine - Bessarabia

But as usual, Uncle Joe was not going to leave 30 divisions to the Wehrmachts finely honed teeth. Unless that is, he himself had a go at these 'enemies of the people'. Attempting to exploit our weak center in Balta, a combined attack from both the pocket and the Dnieper bend was launched, but as usual the attempt floundered and turned into a victory as disruption attacks were launched against the equally weak (but not equally trained) Soviet armies.

Thirty two fully equipped divisions were captured and carted off to the POW camps in Polen.

Kaiserreich0650.png

Kaiserreich0651.png

0500 August 06 1941
Heeregruppen Mitte
Northern Ukraine - Belarus [Z-D STOP LINE]

With Guderian's vaunted Panzer divisions leading the charge to Moscow, German forces blitzed their way through the province of Vyshgorod. Encountering five Soviet tank divisions (one armed with the new T-340), the two Panzer divisions managed to inflict heavy casualties upon the demoralized Bolsheviks (with the support of several Panzergrenadier divisions).

Kaiserreich0652.png

Here is a map of the German advance as of August 7th, compared with the RL Wehrmacht until September the 9th.

Kaiserreich0653.png

783px-Eastern_Front_1941-06_to_1941.png

You seem to be quite beyond the schedule ;)