• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

henryjai

Field Marshal
28 Badges
Dec 22, 2005
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Darkest Hour
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
France isn't beaten yet! A Revolutionary France AAR

A Revolutionary France AAR!

Hello! This is intented to be an informal AAR that won't have much stories but instead some "reports" on how the French are doing after Napoleon's defeat at the Battle of Waterloo. They'll try to accomplish what Napoleon I failed to do so - to bring freedom and liberty to all of the world.

I will reserve the first post for indexing, I hope you all would enjoy it!

Settings/rules:
1. no cheating/modification of any form
2. normal/normal
3. badboy? who cares about it.
4. colonial divisions must be without attachments
5. this would be based on vanilla revolutions

Remark 1: I have violated no. 1 in terms of that I made the uncivs civilized for a bit more challenge, yet I neville China to cede their land after they are utterly defeated. I'd think this is fair and I'd have accomplished the same without the console/modifications because China was civilized by my modification.

Remark 2: I remember building 3 native cavalry divisions with attachements, hope that is not game-breaking

Goals:
1. The no.1 great power- Accomplished
2. Unite Europe, destroy all monarchies/dictatorships! -Accomplished
3. Unite the World- Accomplished

Potential problems and their solutions:
1. French capitalists are notoriously lazy, we all know that they spent all their money on wines.
- It was hopeless at start, it ends up that I have to tax the rich for war as well as railroad construction. Later when economy improved the capitalists could build things again (in the 1880s)
2. Without capitalists, it is highly unlikely to have a powerful economy.
- Borrowing money to build rails made good money. As long as I had an interventionist party in power, at first the economy isn't really good but capturing factories remedy the situation a bit.
3. Wars are expensive
- No real solution apart from going into debt.
4. Early war with UK would be a bit tricky to handle, though the French army is unbeatable
- Not a real problem with the construction of a massive army.
5. Badboy harms tech trade, so we have to live without tradings.
- It ends up trading core provinces worked very well in getting techs, even more effective than you have no badboy.
6. Buying steamer convoys could be a bit tricky, if we assume that the cappis won't build a steamer.
- There were problems buying steamers, but no longer after we captured some steamer yards.
7. population growth is horribly slow, yet health care is difficult to maintain
- It is not a big problem, as manpower is never short after conquering that much land.

Index:

Chapter 1 : France in 1836
Chapter 2: Victory over Belgium
Chapter 3: Victory over Holland
Chapter 4: Punish Spain!
Chapter 5: End of the Franco-Spanish War
Chapter 6: Conquest of Italy
Chapter 7: Rails and Loans
Chapter 8: Blood and Steel
Chapter 9: Go France!
Chapter 10: Maybe that 30000000 Franc aren't worth a war
Chapter 11: Treaty of Venezia
Chapter 12: Battle of Leipzig
Chapter 13: Onto Berlin!
Chapter 14: New Enemies
Chpater 15a: The Franco-Russian War
Chapter 15b: The Franco-Russian War
Chapter 16: Second war of the Lubeckians
Chapter 17: 30 years of war
Chapter 18: The Russian Campaign
Chapter 19: Bang Bang Bang!
Chapter 20: Where are the Brits?
Chapter 21: The Napoleonic Triumph
Chapter 22: Viva la France!
Chapter 23: India Liberated
Chapter 24: Fall of the British Empire
Chapter 25: Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Chapter 26: How many divisions the Pope has?
Chapter 27: The Rising Sun
Chapter 28: The Great North American War
Chapter 29: The Yankees are serious!
Chapter 30: Plots
Chapter 31: Brave Yankees!
Chapter 32: No one step backwards!
Chapter 33: Are they sacrificing too much?
Chapter 34: The fall of USA
Chapter 35: Banzai!!!!!!
Chapter 36: Against all odds
Chapter 37: Set of the rising sun
Chapter 38: Ambitions
Chapter 39: The end of Russia
Chapter 40: The Dragon Awakes
Chapter 41: Wars of the Americas
Chapter 42: Free Asia!
Chapter 43: The war to end all wars
Chapter 44: A new era

Last edited:
Chapter 1: France in 1836

Chapter 1 : France in 1836

France is only #3 in the latest nations rating, of course the French won't take that rating seriously.

screensave4.jpg

This is British propanganda, don't trust them!

screensave8.jpg

After discussing with my advisors, we have decided that France would be focusing on the contruction of the most formidable army in Europe in ten years, so we'll cut naval funding at this moment.

screensave5.jpg

The minister of defence suggests to bring Belgium back to the French Republic again. I and the minister of defence agrees that this is a good chance as the belgians are already busy fighting the Dutch

screensave6l.jpg

Although we only have 8 divisions of about 50000 men on mainland europe, the minister of defence promised that we will win this. Well, I ordered to recall 18000 men from North Africa to aid the attacks.

screensave7.jpg

Envoy is already on the way for a declaration of war. Any resistance would just be target practices for our army.

Last edited:

I personally don't find this very emergency, we French don't keep reserves.

screensave12.jpg

War is declared on Belgium, a nation that shouldn't have existed.

screensave15.jpg

Brave young men joining the army, be proud of France!

screensave17.jpg

The Belgians aren't any interesting, maybe the minister of defence is right-they sucked. Finally there are enough volunteers to form 3 new divisions.

screensave21.jpg

The Belgians sign a truce finally, our minister of production reported that a factory that produces weapons is captured intact. Finally I don't have to persuade that darn fat guy in Paris to set up a factory to provide weapons for the army.

screensave24.jpg

There are reports that our warriors were ambushed when getting out of Brussel after the truce. I find this unacceptable, I ordered the generals to occupy the remaining of the Belgians immediately. Due to Belgian propagandas we are condemned to break the truce, stupid.

screensave25.jpg

Anyway, our soldiers returned victorious through the Arc of Triumph that is just finished. Napoleon I must be pleased in heaven.

screensave26.jpg

The bloody Dutch are not quite happy with that we seized the entire of Belgium. The Dutch demands us to return the entire of Flanders to them, we immediately dismissed their ambassador for such an arrogant demand...

War with the Dutch approaching? Following. :)

JDMS: The Dutch must be punished for their disrespectful demands. And our minister of production is interested in the Dutch colonies which produce precious metals and the tropical wood for all those nice furnitures in his home.

Serek000: There are of course! However I aren't sure if it is worth it to divert some military resources to such a far away place-we have Prussia/Austria/Russia to beat.

The minister of defence laughed when I discussed about the winnability of fighting the Dutch, this is his analysis:

Fighting ships: ~20 Dutch vs 70 French
Land divisions: 15 French vs ~12 Dutch

He proposed me a plan of striking through the east Netherlands, cutting off the Dutch forces into 3 parts, there should be a swift victory.

I authorized the declaration of war.

screensave30.jpg

Admiral Vasser reported that they have sunk 2 Dutch vessels in their first engagement.

screensave31.jpg

The plan of cutting the Dutch into 3 is almost realized...

screensave32.jpg

General Badeau reported that he's already besieging Amsterdam, he also added that the Dutch resist fiercely.

screensave35.jpg

After the arrival of reinforcements, the Dutch resistance in the city are quickly crushed. The battle have been very bloody, it is rumoured that the pile of bodies takes more than a week to burn. The minister of defence admitted that he didn't expect this to happen. The last Dutch soldier resisting in the city surrendered in early November.

screensave39.jpg

Admiral Vasser reported that he intercepted the dutch battlefleet fleeing their base after our land force captured their coastal batteries near it. In the following 24 hours a bloody battle is fought and the night is as bright as day due to ships burning.

screensave43.jpg

The entire of the Dutch Navy is decimated for the cost of 2 French frigates and 1000 brave young seamans.

screensave48.jpg

The bloody Dutch decided to surrender after they have nothing left, we'll let them rule still the ruins of amsterdam for a while.

screensave49.jpg

I, the foreign affairs minister, the minister of defence, and a few generals, including general Badeau, held a meeting in Paris in January following the Treaty of Antewept(Dutch surrender). I proposed to invade North Italy, however the minster of foreign affairs said that it would upset Austria and it is clear that we don't have enough soldiers in uniform to fight the entire of the Holy Roman Empire yet. The minister of defence give me a report of force estimation:

Austria- ~30 divisions
Prussia- ~30 divisions
Bavaria- ~10 divisions
German minors~10 divisions

France ~20 divisions

Sardinia Pietmond ~5 divisions
Two Sicilies ~10 divisions
Papal States & others ~10 divisions

Spain ~ 10 divisions
Portugal ~5 divisions

Russia ~ 50 divisions

After some difficult arithmetic processes, we finally arrived at the result that we shall go to war over Spain.

Last edited:
Nice work. What's the next target?

Chapter 4: Punish Spain!

We are shocked to hear that the Spanish are running smuggling business in France and we can't tolerate this anymore. There were French young people urging to punish Spain in the streets of Paris.

The Spanish ambassador said that we'll die like Napoleon I, what a nonsense!

90,000 French soldiers would be responsible to flank south and 60,000 of them would encircle the entire spanish force in the North, our 1st army, 50000 elite men in strength would be trying to keep those spanish there for encirclement as well as guarding the border. We plans to deploy an addition of 60,000 men to Spain later.

We have currently 20 divisions but 4 would be stationing in Belgium and 2 in North Africa.

screensave52.jpg

Though we have been warned that two sicily would be helping the Spanish we didn't really take this seriously. However admiral Vasser assure us that we'll have total naval superiorty and he's also interested to have a naval base in Sicily.

I have difficulty checking the map about there whereabouts of Lucca. Admiral Vasser once again said that "just let me do the work"

screensave53.jpg

There are reports that the Spanish navy fire practice rounds at our ships, what a joke.

screensave54.jpg

Our army broke their defensive lines very quickly and even our generals write that they are surprised.

screensave56.jpg

Until our garrisons in North Africa write us about their dangerous situations we didn't really know that the Sicilians were serious. I immediately order Admiral Vasser to destroy the entire Sicilian fleet and trap the Sicilians in North Africa.

screensave58.jpg

There were reports that our navy is engaging some special kind of warships that emits steam, what the hell? Such weapons are of no use against the glorious French navy.

screensave59.jpg

By January General Murrel is already marching to Madrid.

screensave60.jpg

Our generals reported that they have trapped 40,000 spanish that would surrender soon.

screensave63.jpg

The siege of Valencia is very bloody I'd say,my nepthew died for the country there. However, almost the entire Spanish army is decimated already.

screensave64.jpg

It is just a matter of time to completely occupy Spain, I found it very interesting that the Sicilians don't have any men in Sicily as they sent them all to Africa. Oh, I almost forgotten that Lucca, I just found it on my world map-it is in Italy.

note: the capitalists have only built 2 railroads and a single factory in 3 years, they are really lazy.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: Victory of the Franco-Spanish War

Chapter 5: End of the Franco-Spanish War

I just received news about the last Spanish resisting in Valencia surrendered, according to our generals almost 29000 Spaniards and 16000 French are killed/injured in intense fightings.

Overall, the Spanish Campaign is relatively easy, losses are not very high except in Valencia.

screensave66.jpg

The minister of defence is happy that his plan worked great, any organized resistance are routed. Maybe he's just as talented as Napoleon I, who knows.

screensave68z.jpg

Our admirals reported their first-ever amphibious assault on Luccaian coastal defence, fortunately, the Luccaians don't have enough men to watch every corner of the beach, it is a march through according to some headlines.

This great achievement must be celebrated.

screensave71.jpg

"ha ha, I've told you not to mess with us..."

screensave73.jpg

Those Sicilians welcomed the French Army as a painter portraited.

screensave74.jpg

One and a half year occupying the entire of Spain, that's a bit too long in my standard.

screensave75.jpg

We proposed a generous peace offer to the Sicilians after we marched into their capital unopposed. They'll cede Sicily and pay for the damage they did in Algeria

screensave77.jpg

The Spanish agreed to cede Catalonia and be support our revolutionary efforts with volunteers. After some crazy, tiresome arithmetic works we found that we could form about 9 divisions with their volunteers. Or perhaps more, maybe we shall hire a mathematician to do such a work for us later.

screensave78.jpg

I had been visiting Holland lately and when I got back to Paris I got the message that the Swiss agreed to provide us with free chocolates and watches from now on. As they are already a republic we do not press them too hard.

screensave80.jpg

There were news that the Italians are trying to drive the French off their homes in Savoy, we found this unacceptable, war is immediately declared

screensave82.jpg

The bloody Tuscanian resistance is crushed almost immediately, I am happy with the result. We have warned the Pope not to intervene-they just don't listen.

screensave83.jpg

We were taught in schools to be respectful to the Pope, thus we have agreed that the Pope would still be ruling some land provided that they would be paying for the damage they made.

screensave85.jpg

Amsterdam is occupied and we have decided to integrate Holland into the France

screensave86.jpg

Though after so many wars, our economy is still very poor, but I found it interesting that we are now considered the top one power in just 10 years. This is what it should have been 10 years before.

screensave88.jpg

I have decided to grant limited autonomy to the Javan people, after we consulted a mathematician, Cauchy, in the profitability of maintaining the colonial rule over Java. We don't understand a bit of his analysis, those what complex numbers simple numbers, we just trust him as he's a great mathematician.

I learn that from the production minister that we have not built a single factory or railroad in 7 years or more. The reason I asked about this is because I found that the pairs of scissors I use is actually made in Prussia. I am shocked when I can't find any kind of home-made scissors in the market after dumping that Prussian scissor.

I checked the national budget seriously and find that our economy isn't really healthy, an advisor suggest that we shall seriously consider to build railroads and not to rely on those capitalists. But, after consulting an engineer, he said that it is impossible for us to order the building of a railroad not because of engineering difficulties, but that the law forbids such action. When is such ridiculous law legistrated?

Last edited:
Great job, Europe is feeling the might of France. :D

10 years of war from 1836 to 1846, left France rich but more or less underdeveloped compared to the countries around, especially after finding that we can only buy Prussian Scissors in the market. We have decided to tax the bloody upperclass heavily and have state-run railroads instead. As France is the best in Europe, we can't have less railroads than Prussia.

However, our budget is tight. An advisor reminded me that we can lend money from the national bank for railroads. The minister of defence agreed to cut defence spending to a minimum level...

Soon the first railroad system in France is built.

screensave91.jpg

We know that we'd be able to repay this loan very soon, as as the railroad system improved our economy is forever being better.

screensave92.jpg

screensave93.jpg

Our former enemy, Russia, waged war against the ottomans, we have discussed about the possibility of intervention with the British but they rejected our plan. Cowards!

screensave94.jpg

We have decided it is not the time for helping the ottomans if we'd be alone, instead we shall focus on improving the railroad system.

screensave96.jpg

We have recuited a good amount of fresh soldiers into our army. I doubt if anyone would be able to contest our army now. And France is rich enough to lend money to the other countries...we'd think that interests really profits.

This is the year 1853.

"Oh no!, Lubeck go bankrupt and our 3000000 Franc loan to them disappeared!" Our minister of foreign affairs screamed.

"How could that be? Tell them that they have to pay it, either money sell lubeck to us! Call the Lubeckian ambassador here!"

screensave4.jpg

2 hours later...the ambassador, and our ministers arrived at the conference hall.

"What the hell is happening? You people don't want to return OUR money?"

"I am very sorry sir, we're bankrupt and we have absolutely no money to repay the loan." Said the lubeckian ambassador

"No, that's unacceptable, we'll be removing everything of value in Lubeck. That's what happened to the guy lived nextdoor when he went bankrupted."

"You DARE?"

"Please remember that you're only a stupid OPM with no army." Said our minister of defence.

"Prussia and Austria will protect us."

"You think we're afraid of them? Admiral Neal! Launch the navy! Bring everything from lubeck here!"

"Dear sir you'll be regret of your decision."

"Go home! GTFO of France!..." screamed our ministers.

screensave5.jpg

Dear King of Lubeck,

I am sorry to inform you that all properties of Lubeck now belongs to France. Be warned any kind of resistance would be crushed.

Regards,

Prime minister of France

screensave10.jpg

"The bloody Prussians are serious! They declared war on us to protect Lubeck! Also the bloody Austrians! Good news is that Bavaria decided to remain neutral"

"Hell! This is not expected! Those Bavarians are smart though."

screensave13.jpg

"I heard that from Russians that they signed an armistice with Ottoman Turkey. A lot of land is transferred to Russian control."

"Huh, darn, I was expecting the Ottomans to hold on for a while longer. But anyway we'll have to mess with the Germans first."

screensave16.jpg

Admiral Neal verified the rumour that the Austrians don't have a navy. However, we still believe that the Austrians got some army.

screensave17o.jpg

"Jokes! The Austrian army are merely irregulars. The Austrian rifles we captured are all rusted! They'll be so regret of their intervention." said our minister of defence.

screensave19.jpg

"Ha-ha, the bloody Prussians sucks. And those bloody OPMs would be sooooo regret of warring us."

screensave20.jpg

Last edited:

Those bloody german minors doesn't deserve to exist.

screensave21.jpg

Bad news from the front, a general is KIA.

screensave22.jpg

The Prussians are merely paper-tigers.

screensave23.jpg

Hahahahahahahaha, even if we don't got the loan repays this is worth it.

screensave24.jpg

The Badanians surrendered. For some reasons we decided to let them survive for a while.

screensave25.jpg

Two Austrian divisions are trapped in Milano, generally it is very surprising that we managed to break the Austrians as our intentions is to defend.

screensave26.jpg

We annexed the third German minor!

screensave27.jpg

Those Austrians fought to the very end.

screensave28.jpg

"Report! The Prussians landed in Holland!"

"What!!!! Their army swims?"

"I don't know sir, but it'd be good to wake our admirals up I suppose"

French Garrisons fighting surprise Prussian landing forces
screensave30.jpg

I don't read English really, but I think this article is interesting, from a british newspaper.

"Napoleon Bonaparte II is leading the French army?

...The Austrians unexpectedly lost the entire of North Italy in a matter of months, with their entire Italian Army annihilated. It seemed that the French would be in Vienna by the end of the year."

screensave33.jpg

"Report! We found the Prussian navy!"

French northern squadron battling the Prussian "navy"

screensave34.jpg

"OMG! This can't be real, our armies are retreating?"

screensave35.jpg

"Emergency report sir! The Prussians are attacking with overwhelming strength! There are just too many of them!"

"Darn, why all of a sudden they have such a strong force? We must not retreat further! We must hold the Prussians at all cost!"

screensave40.jpg

Our generals inform me that they have encountered determined Austrian resistance, that it is not possible for them to advance any further. I am very shocked about this.

screensave41.jpg

I peeped at the diary of the minister of defence:

"Any attempts to flank the Prussians have failed, the Prussians are well-equipped compared to the Austrians."

I am so shocked that our glorious army is stopped...

screensave42d.jpg

The bad news are reinforced by the fact that we're owing the banks a lot of money for this expensive war. (120,000 bucks) We might not be able to carry on the war for much longer. The minister of defence is rather depressed these days. I have decided to recruit a few more divisions fo men in order to defeat the Prussians even if it is expensive to do so.

screensave43.jpg

Germany needs to be brought enlightened rule.*nods*

Ouch, looks like Austria and Prussia had a few more teeth than expected. . .