• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hoy, gusto 'ko itong magazine mo! Pero bakit merong "Kilusang Bagong Lipunan" sa 1936?
Translation: Love the magazine format, but why is there a "New Society Movement" in 1936? That was a Seventies invention...

BTW, born in the Old Country, raised in Australia and the States. So I'm sorry if my Tagalog has been wrecked by my diasporaness...

Nice, can you integrate something about the country's research and diplomacy moves in one of the next few updates?

Nice AAR. I'm Filipino

A fascinating AAR! Nice way of providing atmosphere for the times.

Well done!

Rensslaer

header-5.jpg

April 7

"I haven't written a single entry for the past few days because I was at the countryside to cover the horrors of the war. I'm starting to feel a deep emotional connection to the poor Spanish people, who are being forced to fight a war against themselves. I feel some sort of hate against the foreigners (the Germans, Italians, Russians and other volunteers) who went to the mix and kill innocent people."

"Spain is a battleground of mercenaries and mobsters and not a glorious place to die like Ernest Hemingway says!"

"I still feel the agony of losing my friends and the treachery of spies like the scum Benavidez! Deep inside my head the stench of death is still persist and somewhat destroyed my idea of a perfect Castillian countryside with the Quixotic romance that I read in the book. Now I see burned houses, ransacked Medieval churches, dead horses in the streets, crying boys and girls and dead men and women. The eerie sound of gunshots and moaning wives are like wolves in the midst."

"Oh, dear! Life is indeed worthless here. I'm surviving this war and my wife is away from me. I don't want to die in some half-dug grave, I want to be with my family."

"After I finish this tour, I'll be going home! I just heard from the American consulate that they'll be evacuating to Portugal via Caceres. Though I'm aware that the Nationalists under Franco himself will attack the town to seal the border for potential deserters and influx of refugees, they would not dare harm an American consul. I believe that with the American nationals on board, we'll safely get through."

"The consul (William Buckner Taylor) was a mild-mannered man, who happened to visit the Philippines early last year and so I never had difficulty in introducing myself to him. I call him Senor Bill because he feel like someone I knew a long time ago. This tall, mustachioed gentleman loves the life, he loves the food and wine. He even had the penchant appetite for card games and we played alot."

"He asked me about the death of Aubrey and told me if I am interested to spy for the United States. After all he said that the Philippines and the United States are on the same side. But I told Senor Bill that I don't have the nerves to become a spy. Being a war correspondent is a very dangerous job already, how much more if I become a SPY."

"Senor Bill told me that he'll give me privileges and money to support my needs. I never thought of becoming one but in a stroke of a die, I decided to be one!"

"Bueno! Senor Bill scratches his mustache. I'll give you money if that's what you want. But I said I want to see my wife after this war and maybe we can talk business seriously. Tomorrow, we'll get past by the border and by the week's end, we'll be off to New York City and you'll be introduced to my intelligence liaison officer."

"As for your wife, we'll bring her to the United States after she recovers from child birth, Senor Bill said."

letter1.jpg

"I wrote a letter to my wife that I'll be seeing her soon but I'm afraid to tell her everything that had happened. I'm sure she'll be upset if I talk about my interest in joining the espionage business."

Signed,

The War Correspondent

manilabulletinjapsov.jpg

April 8

"After my hearty conversation with Senor Bill about my experiences in covering the war in Spain. He asked me about my knowledge about Benavidez, I told him that he was a Soviet spy. He was responsible for the death of Pinchot and Aubrey and I believe he's also out there to kill me!"

"Senor Bill called his colleague in Lisbon about the idea of giving me protection when I get their. Then told me if I'll be willing to undergo basic military training in the United States so that I can protect myself. But I'm just a lanky journalist but Senor Bill insisted and so I said OK! He added, the drill sergeant will take care of you!"

"Do I really look like a spy? I keep asking myself...if I will be one, I'm pretty sure I can take care of my family but at the cost of my own life. I really want my family to have a good life."

holguin_fig03b.jpg

"The Republicans have already blockaded a very important bridge crossing going to Portugal. As a matter of fact a tank division was deployed there. I know our crossing will be more difficult as expected despite the assurance from the American embassy in Portugal."

"I'm afraid that the Republicans will find out that I'm in the convoy. My knowledge about the Nationalists' preparations for the Caceres invasion will be their main reason for apprehending me."

compadre1.jpg
compadre2.jpg

"I received a letter from my compadre Ramon Dominguez. He told me about the pressing issues affecting our country. He told me that the ruling party is losing ground for political supremacy. Minister of Security Yulo was said to be replaced by known-kleptocrat Benigno Aquino Sr. Many political critics said that Minister Yulo was a "warmonger." But I do believe that he has a point in ensuring preparedness to our country. Many discounted his dire warning that Japan is the biggest threat to our country's national security. After Japan wins the war in China, I believe they will strike at the Philippines sooner or later. I do think America is ill-prepared to defend our country."

Signed,

The War Correspondent

minsec.jpg
I wonder how will it affect the Philippines, now that Aquino is the new Minister of Security.

japsov.jpg
The Soviets have massed so many troops near Manchuria and so Japan suddenly declared a limited war but it was over after a month. Status quo, no territorial changes. So ends the so-called "Rice Bowl Incident. I'm not talking about Nomonhan or Khalkin Gol. Its an AI thing, I guess if there is a large stacking up units in one's border, the Japanese AI thinks that the Soviet AI is planning an invasion.

navaltec-1.jpg
The government is focused in improving naval defense by building new naval ports and upgrading naval technology.

politica.jpg
The Partido Nacionalista is losing ground...

Last edited:
Very nice. How interesting that the Japanese instigated a limited conflict with the Soviet Union. It's certainly pretty cool, given the similar historical events.

Well now our correspondent has got caught in a pretty web of obligations.

Oh, now I'm glad the Correspondent's wife is doing ok, I'm worrying about the Correspondent himself! Does he not realize he dangerous being a spy is? I mean, certainly he'll be able to travel in circles he never could before and perhaps his standard of living will be better in the US, but still...And what will Mrs Correspondent say!

i wonder if the historical Nomonhan and Khalkin Gol will still fire...

They would have to be implemented first :)

Another few very good-looking creations.