• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jorath13

Major
26 Badges
Jan 14, 2003
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
400_F_17360005_Po1OVYQqHGSt1egx8NVTERGuNXGA0v6G.jpg

Start Year: 1936, standard Road to War
Difficulty: Normal HoI3, Normal BICE Japan, Hard China, Normal Allies, Hard Axis, Normal Minor Allies, Normal Minor Axis
Version: Vanilla TFH 4.02
Cheats/Mods: Black ICE 11.2
Style: Largely gameplay recap.

Introduction

Greetings new readers! I am starting an HoI3 Japanese campaign with the game fully updated (4.02), owning and using all game DLC (FTM, SI, TFH), and utilizing the Black ICE 11.2 modification. As the AAR starts, I will be a bit ahead in the game as I don't want to bog down this AAR by making everyone wait for the next update. I will welcome advice, corrections, and requests so please comment!

I have played every major power and some minors though not all using the Black ICE (BICE) modification. I have played Germany, Japan, Russia, Italy, and the US utilizing the BICE mod and have to say Japan is my most favorite of nations. There are a lot of events that occur for Japan though not an overwhelming amount like some majors. As a seafaring nation, Japan must ensure they have a strong navy with Research to match. It's fleet needs to be the most modern, so typically prior to war with the US I will manually upgrade all ships that require it.

Japan can't leave it's Army behind either, as war with China mandates a large and modern force. Depending on where the focus of the game will be (Russia or Asia) determines if AT and armor need to have some time spent on it. This campaign I won't be a panzer powerhouse like Germany but I won't let armor and anti-tank weaponry fall behind. Fortunately Japan gets quite a lot of historical divisions so we won't need to build quite as much for our Army as we will for our Navy.

Lastly, the Air Force should be modernized as well albeit not as large as other major powers. In fact, I may have more CAG (Carrier Air Groups) than all other air units combined. On that note my CAG will need to be current as they will provide the bulk of my anti-ship prowess. I will need some offensive units though for when my attack in Burma occurs so there will be some CAS, light, and medium bombers there.

Overall, Japan will need to build a strong and numerous Navy, have a modern Army, and not let it's Air Force wither on the vine. As such there will be a huge requirement for Leadership in Research and several choices will reflect that.

Modification

I have played Hearts of Iron 1, using the CORE modification in the past and you'll find a link to my AAR from that game in my signature. After I purchased HoI3 when it was released over a decade ago (boy I feel old now!), I played a few campaigns thru as several major powers but shelved it for many years, waiting on a similar modification like CORE. Fortunately I picked the game back up when Black ICE 9.x came out and have been playing it since, thru every BICE iteration after.

The forum link I provided above will give where you can get the latest version (11.2.1 as of this writing) and information, troubleshooting, and advice on how to utilize it. I will say BICE is much more historical than Vanilla with tons of events for all majors and quite a few minor countries. I hope everyone enjoys this! *3 Utility window pic* This is a sneak look at the BICE Utility window for the mod while you play. It's very helpful!

AAR Style

My AAR style will be a gameplay recap as it's just easier for me to work in that method. :) I'll try to leave out the more boring aspects of the game or at least not focus so much on them. For instance, one of the first things I do in a campaign start with Japan is relocate all naval, air, and land forces in a particular manner. I'll discuss briefly the why and wherefor and perhaps even have a small narrative about that.

Game Goals

My main goal is to stay somewhat historical - when events pop up I'll typically choose the more historical option when there's a choice. My goal is conquest of China, no later than the German DoW of Poland in 1939. After that I intend to stay at war with the successive events that occur allowing Japanese DoW of Tibet and a follow-up country. I'll mask the continuous war with a narrative/History book notification so it won't feel like I'm stringing along an easy war just for the extra IC.

A secondary goal will be conquest of the Pacific theatre and a tertiary goal of helping the Axis in Russia and the Middle East. We may see some Japanese panzers! Speaking of, initially builds will be centered around Factories and resources to prepare for the mid-game. Eventually, we'll be seeing about 75% of the builds be for the Navy as Japan requires tons of ships.

Game Style

I will promise to not utilize the console commands as I truly do not need them. I have used the teleport command though, and will do so in this game if needed. Sometimes the game engine just cannot replicate real life! :p I don't "save scum" either as I prefer to learn from my mistakes.

Contents

Chapter 1: Introduction to Japan 1936
Chapter 2: Of Revolts and Resolutions
Chapter 2a: What Comes Before
Chapter 3: Preparations for War
Chapter 3a: Preparations for War...Ongoing
Chapter 4: The Chinese Conflict
Chapter 4a: The Chinese Conflict Starts Off
Chapter 5: The Chinese Conflict Continues
Chapter 6: September Sucks
Chapter 6a: September Somewhat Sucks
Chapter 7: Sliding in to Fall
Chapter 7a: Sliding Further in to Fall
Chapter 8: October is Awesome!
Chapter 9: Someone Order Some Pizza?
Chapter 9a: October Wanes
Chapter 10: November Nuances
Chapter 11: Thanks for Giving
Chapter 12: Winter of our Discontent
Chapter 13: Christmas Bells in the Air
Chapter 14: A New Year Dawns 1938
Chapter 15: We're Coming for You PRoC!
Chapter 16: Please Give Me a Title

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
First subbed! Can't wait to see what goes on in a BICE run in Japan.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Second subbed - good luck with this one @Jorath13 :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can't wait to see what goes on in a BICE run in Japan.
Events. So many events. Endless events.

However, good luck to our noble author and may the honour of the eternal rising sun light your glorious pathway to divine victory.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Looking forward to whatever Japan gets up to, and also to what BICE adds to a Japan playthrough. I've personally always liked playing Japan, though I haven't done so lately. The one thing that tended to frustrate me in Vanilla was the relative ease with which you could defeat China. I'd be interested to see what BICE brings to the table in making that part harder. Considering you mentioned historical choices: Are you going to build a few new Battleships, or even the Yamato's to integrate the IJN's pre-war divisions about whether Battleships or Carriers would be the capital ships to win them the next war, or are you going to use your hindsight to go for Carriers from day one with no new big gun ships? (This conflict was of course re-enacted in Utsunimiya's War, the previous Japan AAR on the sub-forum)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1: Introduction to Japan 1936

Welcome to 1936 and join me as together we will bring great glory to the country of Japan. The previous decades have not been as kind to our people with the Great Depression that followed the end of hostilities in World War 1. Even now, unemployment is still higher than the turn of the century and with conflict in China and the Manchurian region (Manchukuo, puppeted by Japan) unrest in the streets is high. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Political machinations not withstanding, there is hope among the populace that the Emperor will help lead the country in to a time of prosperity. Already, things are looking up as we start off in January 1st 1936.

Diplomacy + Intelligence + Politics

After starting a campaign game in Black Ice, I like to speed time up a couple hours and then perform a save game. A successful save will mean being able to play the game for a while without a crash. An immediate crash at the first save is rare but at least nothing of value is lost! We'll take a look at the Diplomatic, Intelligence, and Politics menus in BICE as this may be a first time exposure for some to this modification.

6 Diplomacy.png

Here, you can see in the Diplomacy menu that most countries are centrist than not. Very few lie in the Communistic sphere and only a few more in number are trending Axis. There's some work that needs to be done but as Japan I tend to bring those I affect, kicking and screaming to the Axis. I don't show it in the picture above but I do automate trades at the start until everything is green incoming. After that I switch off to manual and only address trades as I need them as well as monthly checks on what I can sell to others.

With version 10.x, the mod creators introduced this BICE Help menu which you can bring up at any time in order to learn more about specifics related to the mod.
7 Black ICE.png

Very helpful! In addition, when starting a game you select the overall difficulty level here - the at start option has no impact (AFAIK) to this option in BICE.

Moving on to the Politics menu,
10 Politics.png
you can see the current cabinet (minus Chief of the Air Force) and the current laws. BICE introduces a Minister of the Sciences, which we'll see later as to why they're needed. Hint: there's a whole lot more research options in BICE than Vanilla! I try to ensure consumer goods needs are kept to a minimum until I'm at war in July '37 so the cabinet selections tend to reflect that. Here at the start, I don't worry too much about who's in charge as there will be an event coming in April that shakes things up some.

13 Intelligence.png

In the Intelligence menu we can see Japan is trying to spy on the US research. I tend to spy on the UK, Russia, US, and even Germany for their Tech. Sometimes I'll even get something! We have our domestic agents running around all over trying to get in to everything they can, though I'm certain I can tighten this up some. Especially when the country unity hits 80% I can knock that option off. Usually I'll check my future adversaries in here about every 6 months or so just to keep tabs on them.

Production + Starting Options

9 Production.png

Here we can see the Japanese at start Production queue - note that the Truk Island HQ theater is currently asking for nothing, as are all other theaters. That'll change soon! The queue starts off empty but there is an event that happens in February that populates with several dozen naval units. Some of them are at particular steps in their historical construction as well. After the first day, I stuff the queue with IC and Resource builds as seen in this picture.
22 1936 Production Queue 2.png

Beyond the Pusan Industry build on the bottom, there's another page worth of further IC builds along with maximizing Oil Resources where they lay. As well, I upgrade a couple Metal, Rares, and Coal (Energy) provinces in order to help with research, builds, and future IC usage. In 1942, quite a bit of trading will be eliminated for me so I want to get ready and have enough of my own at hand.

In the Diplomacy menu on the first day, you'll want to hit up all the options and events possible. Some will even trigger further events/options that occur the next hour or day, so when starting a BICE campaign make certain to keep checking the Diplomacy menu often. The starting options provided
15 Starting Options.png
will give quite a few things to you before the first couple of hours are up. Looking left to right, clockwise I tend to go for Economic Spying under Espionage as this provides a handy bonus to IC Efficency I believe. Under Quick Economic Boost you can gain extra IC or money while the Military Light Vehicles and Trucks options will activate some additional research options.

With the war in Abyssinia, I send troops to help the country though it will cost me relationship with the Italians. Not a big deal really though it can affect trades - primary reason I do this is that after conclusion of the war, I'll get a free militia unit. I disremember if it's this conflict or the Spanish Civil War that also provides some free research tech points that can be timely and handy. The Bank for International Settlements is an annual event that allows you to trade Supplies for cash with Switzerland. If you have extra supplies, it's a good way to offload them for some money. Japan also starts with a Railway, Seaport, and Military Academy which the flavor text provides the benefits given.

Vanilla only has one difficulty level which affects all countries in a similar manner. Choose Easy and the player gets benefits while the AI gets penalties. Choose hard and the reverse happens. In Black ICE, you select difficulty levels for each major country and for minors as a whole, with the previous Vanilla difficulty chosen affecting all countries.
17 Country Difficulty Levels.png

As seen here, each major country you can select their difficulty to help or hinder them (Hard Italy playing as Japan would be helpful). In addition, Axis, Allied, and Neutral Minor difficulty levels can be selected. In this picture you will notice that puppet production focus can be selected - this can help guide your puppet(s) annual strategy. There's also a Player "Hero" unit that the backstory event can generate. I'll show my hero unit later, but this is a leader with a couple associated brigades that can help your economic or military might.

18 Further Choices.png

In the above picture we see I've gone thru the couple of choices to build my hero unit and it's resultant event that generates the unit on the map. In addition, Japan has to choose what their Mixed and Motorized Support will focus on largely.

19 National Focus.png

With this event Japan will determine where their national focus lies. If you read the flavor text in the window, note you gain a benefit after 90 days. If you continue with this same focus next year, your country will gain an even better bonus and for a second year in a row an even better bonus as well. For Japan I started with General Economy but in 1937 I'll switch over to and stay with Navy.
20 Further Focuses.png

Lastly for this chapter, there are further focuses that need to be selected at the start. The first on the left above determines research focus for air and armor while the one in the middle provides focus for naval units and Carriers. Japan goes for Light aircraft, diesel engine, and cast armor along with Vickers non-cemented steel (a historical choice here) and Open Hanger to allow more CAG on board. Due to the builds in queue this year the country will favor the IJN - this will stay in place in the forseeable future!

Aside from choices at the start, I begin to move Army units toward the future front lines in China as we will be following a fairly historical look at the war. Namely, when the Chinese War option pops up, I will select it and start that conflict. Once Japan wins, typically well prior to Germany's starting World War 2 in 1939, there will be a succession of events that allow us to continue conflicts. Taking on Tibet starts that off and once conquered in a month or less, the next conflict option in Xinjiang pops and we'll keep that going thru December 7, 1941. That date of infamy is when we will push war with the US (only) and begin the Philippines conflict and the push in to the Pacific. The rest of the Allies tend to declare on Japan by March of 1942 which we graciously accept by invading Burma, Malaya, and other UK/Aus/NZ islands.

My mantra for the Chinese War is "Take it Easy!" and not to push too hard. I try to encircle as often as possible and will knock out all the northern Chinese minors before Spring of '38. The Southern minors will follow in late '38/early '39 with China proper soon after. Ultimately, all minors but Xibei San Ma will get conquered (XSM will be a puppet) and the choice for China which provides Japan the coastal areas and creates a new puppet will be selected. Tibet and Xinjiang each will be taken and subsumed by the new China government in the future. Looking even further, I plan on puppeting the Philippines, Burma, India, New Zealand, and Australia. Doing so will allow Japan to focus their attentions properly and not need so many defensive units in the rear.

I hope you enjoy the first chapter of my gameplay playthrough and while this didn't see the game day move out of Jan 1, alot certainly happened!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Awesome first update! As a suggestion (for those who might try and follow in your footsteps, or others who are interested to see the various options and how they play out), would you mind terribly if you use a decision, list the decision and the option you selected? I'm interested to see what you select! (Also, as this is a gameplay AAR, I think it tracks to show your pathway and how it impacts the game.)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow. How much does BICE change the game? I tried HPP once and, while I liked it, it also crashed the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wow. How much does BICE change the game? I tried HPP once and, while I liked it, it also crashed the game.
There's almost no aspect of vanilla HoI3 that is in BICE, aside from the black box of the exe.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I second @Wraith11B 's suggestion to mention for each event which option you have chosen. A look back later in the game, or at least a nod to these early game choices when they have a significant impact on the gameplay could also be useful, especially for those, like myself, who haven't dabbled with BICE. Of course it's your AAR, so it's up to you.

Normal BICE Japan, Hard China, Normal Allies, Hard Axis, Normal Minor Allies, Normal Minor Axis
So Hard China makes China tougher to deal with, but hard Axis means presumably that Italy and Germany are beefed up and you're unlikely to have to worry too much about Europe. I wonder what the effect of that latter choice will have on operation Barbarossa... interesting.

you can see the current cabinet (minus Chief of the Air Force)
So there is a 'Chief of the Air Force', how very not Japanese. You either have two of them (one for the IJNAF and one for the IJAAF) or none... Admittedly this is also a problem in the vanilla game, but I held out some hope that there would be no Chief of the Air Force here until I read that sentence...

Due to the builds in queue this year the country will favor the IJN - this will stay in place in the forseeable future!
If the IJA wins a 'quick' victory in China by 1939, one wonders whether that wouldn't give them more political clout, or whether there would be a sense that the Army had plenty enough resources to get it's job done and thus investment must still be focused mostly on the navy. In any case, such an 'early' victory would change the inter-service rivalry and a more powerful IJA would be a significant political threat. Maybe continually favouring the IJN isn't the best plan if you want to avoid an IJA coup? I guess we'll see what BICE throws up in that context.

Overall a good start to the AAR. Keep it up.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
First subbed! Can't wait to see what goes on in a BICE run in Japan.
Thank you @Wraith11B, I appreciate your time spent reading my AAR. :)
Second subbed - good luck with this one @Jorath13 :)
Thank you as well @Bullfilter, I hope I don't disappoint!
Events. So many events. Endless events.

However, good luck to our noble author and may the honour of the eternal rising sun light your glorious pathway to divine victory.
Indeed @El Pip, there are soooo many events even for Minor Nations in BICE. Thank you for your kind words and here's to hoping the Rising Sun does not set.
Looking forward to whatever Japan gets up to, and also to what BICE adds to a Japan playthrough. I've personally always liked playing Japan, though I haven't done so lately. The one thing that tended to frustrate me in Vanilla was the relative ease with which you could defeat China. I'd be interested to see what BICE brings to the table in making that part harder. Considering you mentioned historical choices: Are you going to build a few new Battleships, or even the Yamato's to integrate the IJN's pre-war divisions about whether Battleships or Carriers would be the capital ships to win them the next war, or are you going to use your hindsight to go for Carriers from day one with no new big gun ships? (This conflict was of course re-enacted in Utsunimiya's War, the previous Japan AAR on the sub-forum)
Thank you @roverS3, I too prefer Japan in my HOI3 games. There is so much to do and so much that needs to be built/researched but never have the IC/RPs to do so. I will agree China falls easily in comparison to the actual events but then as a player we have hindsight, stronger will, and desire to do what needs to be done. I do try to complete my conquest of China before Sept 1, 1939 and I believe the earliest I've done so is in the late Fall of 1938. China is no push-over!

One of the Japanese events that occurs is a choice to build the Yamato and her sister vessel, which I always take. I do focus more on Carriers though and try to have two dozen CV and CVL prior to Pearl Harbor. Beyond what events provide, I will build more Battleships, so no fears there!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Awesome first update! As a suggestion (for those who might try and follow in your footsteps, or others who are interested to see the various options and how they play out), would you mind terribly if you use a decision, list the decision and the option you selected? I'm interested to see what you select! (Also, as this is a gameplay AAR, I think it tracks to show your pathway and how it impacts the game.)
Thank you @Wraith11B - I had the same thought as I progressed further in to my game (a heads up, currently it is early September 1937 in my game and I already have chapters 2-4 written up. Chapter 2 is split in two parts since it is quite massive!) and you will see in screenshots and my gameplay review descriptions of the choices available and why I chose the way I did.
@Eurasia, as Wraith says below, it's very changed. Not only are there hundreds upon hundreds more events, but the map has some alterations (Iwo Jima for instance is two provinces now), there are at least three or four times as many types of units available, and Research options explode in number! It can be quite overwhelming at first, but it is designed for those who tire of the Vanilla experience on Hard.
There's almost no aspect of vanilla HoI3 that is in BICE, aside from the black box of the exe.
Well said @Wraith11B!
I second @Wraith11B 's suggestion to mention for each event which option you have chosen. A look back later in the game, or at least a nod to these early game choices when they have a significant impact on the gameplay could also be useful, especially for those, like myself, who haven't dabbled with BICE. Of course it's your AAR, so it's up to you.

So Hard China makes China tougher to deal with, but hard Axis means presumably that Italy and Germany are beefed up and you're unlikely to have to worry too much about Europe. I wonder what the effect of that latter choice will have on operation Barbarossa... interesting.

So there is a 'Chief of the Air Force', how very not Japanese. You either have two of them (one for the IJNAF and one for the IJAAF) or none... Admittedly this is also a problem in the vanilla game, but I held out some hope that there would be no Chief of the Air Force here until I read that sentence...

If the IJA wins a 'quick' victory in China by 1939, one wonders whether that wouldn't give them more political clout, or whether there would be a sense that the Army had plenty enough resources to get it's job done and thus investment must still be focused mostly on the navy. In any case, such an 'early' victory would change the inter-service rivalry and a more powerful IJA would be a significant political threat. Maybe continually favouring the IJN isn't the best plan if you want to avoid an IJA coup? I guess we'll see what BICE throws up in that context.

Overall a good start to the AAR. Keep it up.
Thank you @roverS3 for the kind words. Have no fear, I'll be providing more information to the options selected - I will even touch upon the previous chapter a little bit more too.

Indeed - I put the HOI3 game on Normal which is suggested by BICE, and put China on Hard to make a more difficult experience for me there. Plus, I don't mind spending more time fighting the Chinese as it's more experience gained anyway! Yes, a Hard Axis would mean things are more difficult for the Allies and Russia, thus helping me out in Europe. We'll see how well that helps! I will say though that RNG has a way of rearing it's head - I've had a game where the Axis were Very Hard (+10 Hard & Soft Attack in addition to Hard bonuses) and Allies were Normal...and Germany lost Barbarossa in the first month!

The ministers I believe are hard-coded, the BICE authors can better speak to that. I too would love more of a personalization depending on the country you're playing.

Regarding the inner political machinations of Japan, I do certainly role-play that aspect and in fact plan on doing so here. With a swift enough victory, the Army will press its need for armor and specialized troops to the Cabinet and may even over-ride some of the Navy's vocalizations. However, as we will see in Chapter's 3 and 4 coming up, the Navy will be able to make some excellent arguments for its expansion over the years, thanks to some wonderful naval battles!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interlude

Before I head in to the next chapter, let me touch oh so briefly on the last chapter's choices, starting from the first picture on down:

#1: Not much more to say about the Diplomacy screen here other than the Decision window in the lower right probably has a lot more available (and currently unavailable) options to it than Vanilla. At the start of a new game, you get the Introduction/Help option, which in the second picture is the Informative Events window. This is always available and a very great help, even to someone like me who's been playing BICE the last 3 or 4 versions fully here! You also get a BICE Start decision and depending on the country playing, you may have a couple other immediate choices to make or accept. As you progress through your choices on Day One of the campaign, keep checking back to the Diplomacy window as some choices spawn (chain) other choices. The first few game days are pretty hectic with dozens and dozens of choices/decisions that should be explored.

#2: As said above, the Informative Events window provides help and hints in various BICE-specific topics. If I remember, I will post up screenshots of some of these for review - it's quite handy to check back on, especially if you're playing this mod for the first time. The other option in this screenshot is the BICE difficulty level. I was incorrect in my thinking that the initial at start difficulty option has no effect. It does! The at start affects all countries equally (bonuses or penalties for the player, the opposite for the AI depending on the difficulty) and then this option will provide more economic and even military bonuses/penalties depending on what you select. It's suggested for first time BICE users to go with Normal at the start, and Normal here on the BICE difficulty. It's what the mod is tuned against, if you will.

#3: Here, we have the Political Window and probably not much is different from Vanilla, other than some extra laws. You have Training Laws for all three branches of the military which affect starting experience for new units, among other things. The Minister of the Sciences is also new - this leader affects your research by providing an emphasis on a particular area of study. Here we see Minister Hiraga provides a bonus to Destroyer, Cruiser, and Capital Ship Practical Decay. As well, a few times a year he will provide RPs (Research Points) to select areas in those three ships classes - about 2 or 3 dozen areas which we'll see in a later chapter.

#4: The Intelligence Screen probably isn't much changed from Vanilla. I do put a bit in to Espionage to get roughly .5-.75 spies a day for use domestically and abroad. I do need to remember to toggle off the Raise National Unity option once I hit 80% as I won't need to accelerate higher, I can do so naturally thru Party Rallies (a BICE event) and other aspects.

#5 & 6: The Production Screen certainly looks normal but don't worry, there's three to four times more different unit types available, which I'll showcase in later chapters.

#7: Here with all of these options and decision is where things start flying at the player. In '38 I'll post up a screenshot of the Espionage, Quick Economic Events, and BIS options available as well as go further in depth with my thinking there on which I choose. Some decisions you notice don't have a choice, they spawn units or activate research options for you. For example the Light Vehicles and Trucks events will open up some Research options as well as spawn the ability to build those units in your Production queue.

#8: I believe I mentioned the difficulty levels chosen here but to recap, I'm Normal HOI3, Normal Japan, Hard Germany and Italy, Hard China, Normal Russia, Allies, Neutral Minors, Axis Minors, and Allied Minors. This will beef up China some and make that campaign a bit more of a challenge for me. These choices also will help out my future European friends with some standard looking progression in '39 and '40. We may see Italy hold it's own in Libya and perhaps even push in Egypt - I doubt they'll do better than historical in East Africa. With Normal Minors all around as well, Germany shouldn't be terribly bogged down against Poland, the Low Countries, and it's northern adventures. However, Romania, Hungary, and Finland will probably perform historically - poorly against Russia during Barbarossa. I do expect Finland to continue it's early domination in the Winter War until manpower becomes a problem. The puppet focus is a per puppet option - once you choose an option for the indicated nation (hover over one of the options and the tooltip will tell you who it's for), you'll need to revisit the Diplomacy menu again to choose the next puppet. Optionally, the new Utility window that is on another monitor or behind the game if playing on one monitor, can be used to quickly cycle thru all of your puppets. Eventually as Japan I will have half a dozen puppets!

#9: I really should have captured each of the support upgrades choices (there's 4 per) here, my apologies! Suffice to say, these help you tailor your Army as you see fit, guiding your Research options and being able to build the indicated troop types. There's really no wrong way to choose here!

#10: We'll be revisiting this annually, so in '38 I'll capture all the different options here if tooltips present themselves. Choosing an aspect of your military will provide a bonus to that branch in build speed with a penalty to the others, along with other penalties and bonuses at the 90/360/720 day marks. As I chose General Economy, we'll see in later chapters the 90 and 360 bonuses received, but it also does provide an IC bonus (+10% I think) too. Science helps your Research, Health & Education improves Manpower and Officer Recruitment, and Natural Resources...I'm not sure what that one does. I will have to peek at it next year. No focus is just that, no bonuses to any specific area, but no penalties too as you're not going at something to the exclusion of others.

#11: These options again I should have better screen capped the differences here. BICE loves providing bonuses and penalties in the same breath so know that choosing one option nets you both good and bad, typically. Again, this is to help you better tailor your military (air, tanks, and ships here) as you see fit. The Interservice Rivalry event here is specific for Japan, but I believe all other countries have something similar. Germany for instance has a specific one where they can favor the Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe, or Wehrmacht.

Going forward (well, from Sept '37 onward) I will do better to capture what all the different possibilities are in the BICE events and decisions as some can have multiple choices. I do a little better in the following chapters, as you will all soon see. :) I have written up thru Chapter 4 right now which gets Japan completely out of Summer '37 and the start of the Chinese Conflict and I intend on posting up every other day or so. I don't want to inundate everyone!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 2: Of Revolts and Resolutions

January 1936, setting the stage for conflict in Asia

We'll begin the year proper with a fast-forward as not much will happen for a while. One of the very first things I do with Japan is create a new HQ for the future island-hopping campaign.
4 Truk HQ.png
This HQ creates a new theatre as well, as seen in this next picture. It may be difficult to tell, but the Japanese islands are pink in color
5 Theaters.png

I will change it's name to South Seas HQ later on, as that was the more historical name. For now though the new theater will not be so useful to us for a few years yet, but that's ok!

On the first day I switch off to the Mixed Industry in Industrial Laws as the IC benefits outweigh the negatives seen below. Eventually Heavy Industry will be available but that's some time away from here.
16 Industrial Laws Change.png

Once we get past the first couple of days and options selected, the Japanese industry sets up properly and we'll see very little real change for the next few months.

22 1936 Production Queue 2.png

Here we see most IC is reserved for Consumer Goods as the people cry out for relief! In a few months that will get halved, no worries there. In addition quite a bit of IC is allocated to Supplies as I need to build that up to around 50k before dialing it back. There's several events in the near future that burn thru Supplies and a couple later this year and next, not to mention excess Supplies will be how Japan garners money. The queue is filled with Industry builds with only a couple projected to finish before the end of the year. Looking at the requested theatre forces, it's amusing to see the Truk HQ requesting half as many armor units as the Japanese homeland.

24 IC Efficiency.png
25 Strikers and Agitators!.png

At the start, not only are the citizens requesting tons of Consumer Goods, but many are striking and revolting against their legitimate government. As such, we're seeing IC Efficiency taking a steep hit, meaning those factories being built will take more time to finish. The ultimate goal is to improve Japan's Industry over the course of the next 2-3 years to keep pace with the resources it will be gaining in China. Too, war with the Allies will bring it's own great needs with it - a great desire for lots of naval units for one.

Speaking of resources, there are Special Resources in Black ICE some of which are shown here:
26 Current Special Resources.png

This is the current Special Resources Japan has at hand and what we are able to sell to other powers. For the next 18 months we'll sell any of these when able to but once war in China starts we'll stop Tungsten sales due to the Hard Attack bonus Japan receives as seen in that screencap above. We'll see some malluses affecting Japan due to lack of Special Resources in the next section coming up.

Further Choices January and February 1936

27-choices-1-png.828806

Moving further in to January and February of '36, there are a ton of events, choices, and notifications that populate. Starting on the first event in this picture here going clockwise, Japan gets a railway gun that will be used to decent effect in the Chinese War, albeit sparingly. It's similar to the first railway gun Germany can get as well, though Japan only gets one while Germany gets almost a dozen. Next, we have a choice for the governmental focus which I select Private Sector, hoping to gain a bonus to money earned. There's a percentage chance you gain a bonus but if you miss your roll, a penalty is assigned. Choosing Never or Not Now jumps straight to a penalty - it's best to at least try! Sadly it doesn't work out and we see a -5% money earned penalty for a while. Ah well! Next we select Artillery focus for Motorized Support Brigades and see a research improvement on Amphibious Armor. This latter item will be for our Marines in the years to come, as I'll produce an amphib armor brigade for each to strengthen their attacks.

Next, a delegate from our puppet Korea humbly requests independence in order to make their own way in the world but we refuse, keeping the status quo. Reason for this is Korea provides some excellent resources and probably about 10% of my total available IC. I find that I need these more than turning them in to a puppet, though one could make an argument for that based on the next event here. The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere event will provide bonuses if I have more than one puppet and less than six. It scales based on the number of puppets and only specific countries count, with China eventually being puppetted as well as the Philippines and Burma, we'll see some good (and greatly needed) benefits in 1942.

Continuing on to the bottom row of options in the above picture (right to left), I allow the historical Japanese OOB as quite honestly it'll help me build up my military might cheaper than I could myself. Plus, I enjoy the historical flavor as most units provided via future events are named! Next the Shanghai Incident which will set the stage for a series of related and linked events/choices in the next year or two. In a nutshell, I'll be choosing to reinforce the Japanese garrison in Shanghai when I can and eventually we'll see the Marines land nearby in late '37 or early '38 to help take this important Victory Point location. Another event that historically occurred in late February is the 2-2-6 Incident. This is where elements of the Japanese Army rose up in a coup attempt against the current government, not against the Emperor but against the widespread corruption seen. There'll be another event or two chained to this one. Lastly on this picture is notification that the awesome Japanese Type 93 and 95 Long Lance torpedo is available for research.
35 March Special Research.png

You'll see on this screen above there are quite a few special research options that are country-locked. Obviously the T-34 is only researchable by the Russian player, for example. Meanwhile, look at that convoy and sea attack bonus gained by this country-specific torpedo! It's drool-worthy!

28 Choices 2.png

Switching over to the next picture here on the left side you'll see notifications of all the Special Resources Japan is lacking and the malluses endured. For some countries, not all of these are needed and for Japan we can exist without most. I could use Rubber and Nickel, for example - which one could argue is the reason why Japan needs to expand in SE Asia. But, the goal here is to gain at least a neutral if not a higher bonus level for each, eventually. Next event on the top row, I ordered the Fascist Militia Brigade and promptly send them to a controlled island of ours that has no troops on it. To the right, the 2nd Naval Armaments Supplement Program pushes a host of naval vessels in to our production queue, some of which like the Soryu and Hiryu CVs are already having some build time applied. Next, the Creation of Battle Commanders will provide some historical leader units in the game during wartime. Typically as Japan I see 2-3 leader units created during the China War and I will utilize them in a new division for the great bonuses provided, which I will showcase in a later chapter when I get one.

Moving on, I accept revolts (Do you want revolts?) - and we'll see quite a few happen over the years in this campaign. If you're new to Black ICE, I recommend keeping them out as it may prove a little hectic. After Barbarossa for example, Russia spawns a ton of partisans every season in the lands Germany has taken. The last two events on the top row, the AT and Light armor upgrades for the Motorized Support Brigades is accepted as I do plan on building a few such units for a possible Soviet incursion.

Going clockwise again on the bottom row now, both Hitler and Stalin will gain some...personality "quirks" in the game. I'm not certain what, if any affect I'll see since both are AI controlled but I can say playing as Germany at times Hitler will pop in, frustrated with your perceived lack of progress and apply some benefits and hinderances. Quite amusing, really. Next moving to the left, both the Yamato and Musashi are desired so I accept the historical plans here. This will create an event for each ship that pops them on the map at a cost to IC, supplies, and other resources. Playing as Germany, you get the Bismarck and Tirpitz in a similar fashion though the ships end up in your Production queue instead, allowing the player to control when they appear on the map. Next in the Future of Manchuria event, a strong and fortified Manchuria is desired so confirmation of the Manchurian Project is indicated. No, this won't set some American spy to try and kill their President, as this event and it's resultant chain will give Manchuria (my puppet) some bonuses now and in the future. We'll see this over the course of the next few years.

Lastly on the bottom row, among the final three seen here, Mixed Support Recon is accepted to boost that research item and I continue my focus on Artillery for Artillery Specialization Choice. Even though Pack artillery is largely used by my units, I would prefer to see regular and heavy artillery gain some nicer benefits and we won't be using rockets in this game. Lastly, in order to assist the AI, scripted invasions are accepted. As an aside, even the human player will see some benefits here, with Japan in mid '42 getting some free invasions on central islands in the Pacific. Other examples seen - Germany as AI will get a "free" invasion of Norway as historical, the USA gets Torch in mid to late 1942, and based on some internal criteria D-Day goes off eventually in France. All of these scripted invasions are to help push the AI in to more historical moves but also to provide them some help, as in Vanilla the AI really doesn't perform invasions well.

Moving in to March

As the winter continues, we gain further choices and even a governmental law change.

29 Mobilisation.png

Here we are able to switch our laws to Full Mobilisation in order to gain these yummy bonuses! As well, some choices and notifications appear as seen below.

30 Choices 3.png
31 Choices 4.png

On the first screen shot, the effects of the people's unrest generated, create Very Low Popularity in the country, adversely affecting us. Throughout the next few years, Japan will waver between various levels of popularity but at this stage of the game it's not a huge hit yet. A notification that we need to watch our money levels is also generated in the Budget Reserves - we'll need to get over $2000 quickly. If we are below that level, unrest will hit along with some other penalties, though we aren't affected quite yet.

Next screenshot, our Research Minister has provided some research benefits as seen in the next picture. These are Research Points applied to the indicated research item which several dozen are affected. This is free RP and can affect projects where we don't meet pre-requisites yet, so this is very nice to see! Next year we'll switch over to a Carrier Research Specialist but for now this is a nice gain. Next are notifications about being constrained by the London Naval Treaty which we'll leave soon enough, and an Engineer upgrade in our Mixed Support Brigades. Again, looking to the future for this Research Project as we will be introducing Engineers where needed on special troops. Lastly, a choice on how to handle the Zaibatsus Clique, wherein I Militarize them for the extra bonuses to IC, albeit at a cost to money (the bottom selection here). I do apologize not capturing what each choice does here and it is a once-only event that happens - your choice here pushes the Business Clique throughout your campaign. Each choice in this event provides both a penalty and bonus, like most BICE decisions, that you can utilize to further tailor your country.

32 Feb 36 Production.png

With Consumer Goods need now under control, I'm able to swing quite a bit of Industry toward upgrading my military. I would estimate less than half of the Navy is current, all of the Air Force is (though needs more Research applied), and probably over half the Army is current. Still, that's alot of IC required to get them matched up with current Research levels. We're still pushing a couple of Industry thru the queue with an early November build date to meet and our supplies are closer to 50k, thus we'll be able to drop the IC spent some. Usually what I do is match the Supply need until I get over 60k, then drop IC provided below the need by 10-20%.

33 March Choices.png

As March hits, our government popularity improves a bit, so the harsh negative modifiers only affected us for barely a month though we still have some affects. Next notification is about the Dowa Automobile Company building an automobile factory which provides a benefit to build time on armor units. Not a huge deal now but again, looking to the future. Notification of the 2-2-6 coup failing allows me to select beheading for those involved which will drive up dissent but not as much as leaving them in control. Lastly, the Imperial Japanese Army gets reorganized with the effects seen in the next screenshot here.
34 Increased Org.png

The indicated brigade types (Infantry, Special Forces, etc) get an increased amount of strength - the numbers show here are Research Points gains towards those Research items, popping the affected Research so we don't have to. For example, the Infantry Strength Increase RPs are sufficient to complete all levels of Infantry Strength Research and thus provide all my Infantry brigades a Strength increase. Typically you have to research a different item to get to this point - Japan just gets it via a special event.

A quick look at what our Mixed Support options have generated is shown here
35 March Mixed Support.png

with more to come as we produce further research. Check back here from time to time to see what the effects are as new events pop up for your Mixed Support units.

Up next is a potential alt-historical option
37 Tauran Incident.png

that allows Japan as early as March to declare war on Russia. I take a step back as I'm not prepared for such, but perhaps in a future game! This won't be the only event popping up begging Japan to go to war with Russia - we'll see a few more events over the years.

Rounding up the month of March we have some choices to make and some events happen to us. First, choices as seen here.
40 March choices 2.png

First, the USA cancels a lucrative trade deal so I need to find money another way - you'll notice I'm over $3500 right now thanks to trades like this one. Speaking of trades and the amount of money I have, I choose to postpone Strategic Resource Trading for a month, allowing time for the Imperial coffers to fill as it costs $2000 to buy a special resource. Note, you can sell one of your available Strategic Resources to another country that opts to buy it but you only get $1800. I wonder where that extra $200 goes? On that note as well, we postpone Mine Expansion plans by 3 months as it costs $2000 per mine to expand it a level, and we do want to expand all we can!

41 Radar.png

In another instance of the Japanese government pulling the military to the modern era, kicking and screaming, I introduce Radar forcefully. The dissent and IC hits hurt more than the air org loss but all will go away before war with China and the gains are lifetime. These Radar gains are much needed here!

As we pull in to the end of the month, several notification pop up.
43 March events.png

Someone stole a blueprint related to controlling damage on a Carrier. Hopefully it's a minor nation and not the US or UK. Lastly, our Economic focus that we selected at the start of the game is bearing fruit. We leave the neutral/no bonus behind and at our 90 day mark gain a bonus to IC, IC Efficiency, and Supplies. Greatly needed with more to come toward the end of the year.

Springtime on the Steppes

Heading in to April, a new cabinet is formed.
44 New Cabinet.png

I'm quite satisfied with the resultant change and leave it all as it is.

Our first Shanghai choice comes in to play
48 Division to Manchuria.png

and while I did earlier say this city is important to Japan, I pull the unit out and up to Manchuria for use there. Future chained events will pop up placing more units in Shanghai which we will accept, have no fear. For now, this will create a Light Infantry unit in Manchuria which we will have greater use for up there. Speaking of Manchuria, an option arrives wherein we maintain permanent contact with the Manchukuo Imperial Army. You can see the benefits in this picture
49 Strong Manchuko.png

wherein Japan loses officers and manpower but Manchukuo gains them. Ours and I think Manchukuo's revolt risk is lessend at the cost of officer recruitment which if you look at the top of the picture is already at 96% currently. Good enough and my goal of getting it to 110% should be achieved later this year.

51 Manchuko Railway.png

Along with all this news is an option to expand the Manchurian railway, which we do. Again, at a cost of Japanese industry (-10% IC) we improve our puppet with increases to resources and infrastructure improvement. This will pay dividends later! I did say earlier we'll see several Manchurian events chain off a decision prior, and this is among those. While not immediately helping Japan, it does assist my puppet and thus why I go thru with them.

Japan sees further Research gains
52 Research and World View.png

and we notice that the Republic of China is embroiled in a war with Communist forces. Xibei San Ma is assisting the Republic of China at the moment - eventually this war will come to a close by the end of the year or beginning of '37. The end result can change - one campaign I saw the Communists take over half a dozen provinces from XSM and RoC!

Speaking of Research, our Research Minister grants us more RPs toward naval aspects
56 May Research.png

which is always nice to get. I've dialed back the Upgrades IC spent, as we've had an uptick in Consumer Goods needed and Reinforcements desired. Fortunately, enough IC is available to ensure 7 factories are now being built with most ready in November. Over time I will adjust the Needs dials but typically I try to maintain Reinforcements as needed, keep Upgrades rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 (Need 36? Put it to 35, for instance), and Consumer Goods at need. There's enough events to help lower dissent that I won't necessarily need to try to manipulate it myself.

58 May Research 3.png

Here we see some good research gains achieved, lowering our need to provide IC toward Supply even further. I also have the Grand Battle Plan Doctrine up so you can see what research items are available for Japan here. Each major power has a particular doctrine that they utilize - Germany starts in Blitzkrieg of course and USA loves Superior Firepower.

As Spring comes to an end, so does the war in Ethiopia
61 Italy conquer Ethiopia.png

Note that now Japan is able to throw more IC in to Production and has 9 Factories being built currently. We need to get our industrial might up! Oh, remember the initial choice we took to send soldiers to Ethiopia to fight against Italy? While we took a hit in our friendship with Italy, our survivors returned which is a militia unit appearing in the Production queue later to be sent to yet another island we control but don't occupy. Along with the free unit, we gain some RPs in these categories:
62 Ethiopian War Survivors.png

Small Arms and Infantry Support Weapons, which are two out of four research areas required to help improve our Regular and Light Infantry units.

Now, as this has been a picture-heavy update with lots more to come in 1936, I'll chop this chapter in half. The next part will be posted tomorrow, taking us thru the Summer and Fall of the first year and see tons more Research completing. Please continue with asking me questions, provide some tips and tricks of your own, and I'll keep trying to do better with this review. :)

Attachments

• 27 Choices 1.png
    27 Choices 1.png
    4,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 35 March Mixed Support.png
    35 March Mixed Support.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
A thorough introduction and excellent explanation of the many events of Black Ice. I see it retains it's famed questionable grasp of history (there are many ways to describe Yuzuru Hiraga, but "able to design a ship properly" is not one of them) and it's mix of railroaded and scripted events that favour the Axis, with the freedom to make complete diversions that also favour the Axis (the IJN saw sinking merchants as beneath their honour and a distraction, so those convoy attack stats are ambitious at best).

If this were a standard game I'd question how much IC you are building. At 11 months to build and 7.6 IC cost, and even with already being on full war economy, the breakeven point is late 1941 and that's cutting it fine for the Pacific War. And all those factories deep in the red will be even later, so I assume there is some string of Black Ice events that make all that IC building worthwhile?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will gladly follow.

I was playing some Japanese BICE a few weeks ago and China was tough. Looking forward to see how you overcome your objectives.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Very thorough run through of events so far - I can see how many and detailed these are and how they would provide a new experience for players that may be looking for more than what vanilla can provide and for whom the detailed management aspects appeal.

Just a general question for now: does all this make the overall BICE game any more balanced vs the AI (I suppose the difficulty levels can be used to tweak that)? And is it more or less playable (as a game) than vanilla? Or do you tend to trade playability off deliberately for more (desired) complexity and time taken to play?

Thank you as well @Bullfilter, I hope I don't disappoint!
Feeling very appointed. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
A thorough introduction and excellent explanation of the many events of Black Ice. I see it retains it's famed questionable grasp of history (there are many ways to describe Yuzuru Hiraga, but "able to design a ship properly" is not one of them) and it's mix of railroaded and scripted events that favour the Axis, with the freedom to make complete diversions that also favour the Axis (the IJN saw sinking merchants as beneath their honour and a distraction, so those convoy attack stats are ambitious at best).

If this were a standard game I'd question how much IC you are building. At 11 months to build and 7.6 IC cost, and even with already being on full war economy, the breakeven point is late 1941 and that's cutting it fine for the Pacific War. And all those factories deep in the red will be even later, so I assume there is some string of Black Ice events that make all that IC building worthwhile?
Thank you @El Pip for following my AAR. Addressing your observations:

1) This recount of Japanese submarine activity during World War 2 matches with your indication on how the IJN utilized their underwater fleet. For the most part, subs were tasked on scouting missions, as Japan had quite a few subs with 1-3 seaplanes on them. Toward the latter part of the war ('43 onward) subs were providing supplies to cut-off island garrisons as Japanese shipping otherwise was being sunk in great numbers. That said, the Type 95/97 torpedo event is really geared more toward the surface ships - it's how the player uses subs that determines how alt-history this becomes. You'll see that my subs get involved in several naval battles, in fact.

2) Baron Hiraga's ship designs were considered the best in the world at the time. It was military advisors who over ruled his designs by adding even more weaponry on them. He is credited with helping to design the Yamato which was the largest battleship built during the war and took over two dozen torpedo and bomb hits before succumbing to it's fate. I feel he's an applicable minister for surface ship tech.

3) I have read and watched several other Japanese HOI3 AARs and only a few build up their IC at start. Japan will, after all, gain nearly double their IC with China. I tend to accept the coastal territories though and puppet China after the war. The SE Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere bonuses more than make up for that IC not used in China and as such I prepare by building as much IC as meets my rather arbitrary 3/5/7/10 rule (if IC present, round up to nearest number indicated). We'll see all my IC build completed by end of '37 here, though I will continue building at least a couple IC each year. After all, Japan has to play the long game - if their IC growth stops too soon, they will get out-built by the US in '43.
Will gladly follow.

I was playing some Japanese BICE a few weeks ago and China was tough. Looking forward to see how you overcome your objectives.
Thank you @5CHiZO for following. China indeed is tough and I will say my initial attacks on Beiping and Tianjin do not go smoothly. There's a battle or two in September next year that I have to retreat from, in fact!
Very thorough run through of events so far - I can see how many and detailed these are and how they would provide a new experience for players that may be looking for more than what vanilla can provide and for whom the detailed management aspects appeal.

Just a general question for now: does all this make the overall BICE game any more balanced vs the AI (I suppose the difficulty levels can be used to tweak that)? And is it more or less playable (as a game) than vanilla? Or do you tend to trade playability off deliberately for more (desired) complexity and time taken to play?

Feeling very appointed. ;)
@Bullfilter thank you for your kind words! Indeed, BICE requires more micro-management than Vanilla and can initially be overwhelming. I definitely suggest trying out a strong minor like Turkey at start to help ease entry to this mod. Even as many times as I've played, I still put myself on Normal - I've tried Hard Japan a couple times and while the Chinese Conflict isn't impacted as much, the Pacific War certainly is!

I do agree that with the different difficulty levels (one at start for HOI3, a second for you the player, and you can set difficulty levels for minors and majors though grouped) you can adjust, you can make the game more balanced for you as a player. For example, as Germany I will set myself to Normal, Russia to Hard, Allies to Hard, Italy to Hard (I need them somewhat historical!), China and Japan to Hard, and all the Minors to Normal. This way the September campaign will run as historical, including the attack on Denmark and the Low Lands. France will be a bit tougher but I typically still defeat them by June '40. Barbarossa goes off like normal (there's an event that ensures such) but as historically seen, I can run in to trouble as I attack. As for complexity, BICE is certainly more complex as you have more units, research, and other variables than Vanilla. But, if Vanilla just isn't doing it for you on Hard anymore, try BICE on Normal all around and see how you fare! :)

Thank you everyone for reading and moving on now to the rest of Chapter 2.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 2a: What Comes Before

Summer hits hard

Starting off the Summer of '36, the Prime Minister spoke to the nation of Japan, looking to settle people's worries over the past few months.
63 Party Rally.png

At the cost of some money and supplies, we gain National Unity and Party Support along with reductions in Dissent and Revolt Risk. This all will help lower the amount of IC needed for Consumer Goods by a tad and push my unity ever closer to the magical number of 80.

The month of June brings some new research
65 June Research.png

and for $6000 we get some mine improvements started.
66 June Mines built.png

I've not talked much about these Strategic Resources but suffice to say I want level 4 Copper, Chromite, and Tungsten mines so I can sell the excess as well as gain some benefits. As war progresses thru the years and conquests take over land to our south, we'll see more Strategic Resources entering the nation's coffers.

Up to this point in the game our Production has been steadily working on several Factories to help in the future years produce all of the military might we'll need.
68 July Production.png

Here we see Surviving Militia from the Italian-Somalia conflict that will be routed to an island as discussed previously. Also, note our trades at current. We're bringing in as much Rares and Metal as nations will offer us and in turn selling our excess fuel, oil, and supplies.

For those curious about the stats of my "Hero Unit", let me provide them at this time:
69 Me 1.png
70 Me 2.png

71 Me 3.png
72 Me 4.png

73 Me 5.png

If you check out the River, Amphibious, and Jungle bonuses, you'll have to agree that my unit will be well-suited to a role as a Special Naval Landing Force (Marine). I'll be building the remainder (standard Marine unit minus HQ and AA brigades) needed to beef him up once the Bodyguards and MPs are stripped off sometime in late November, after a couple Factories finish up. With this unit as a Marine and a future event providing a couple more, I'll have about 10 Marine divisions in 1938.

In July one of our Research results bears fruit with a couple Broadcasting Options to entertain our citizens.
74 July Broadcasting.png
75 Broadcasting options.png

I choose Small Entertainment Show which will come in to play next month with some bonuses.
88 Small Entertainment Show.png

A good help in lowering IC needs for Consumer Goods! Also thanks to past research, we will have a choice in Monumental Buildings coming up soon.
76 July Monumental Building.png

This will come in the Fall and I'll get in to a little more detail with this project then. Oh, and my spies do their wonderful work again!
82 July Good Spies.png

Combined with my Research moving along steadily
83 July Research.png

Japan should have a well-enhanced military to face China next year.

Speaking of conflicts, the Spanish Civil War kicked off in July.
77 Spanish Civil War.png

In Black Ice the player is confronted with some choices to help one side or the other and Japan as well is provided an opportunity to send men and material, like in Somalia.
79 SCW Options 2.png
80 SCW Options 3.png

Here you can observe I selected a small Nationalist Spain boost, as I intend to have some friends in Europe eventually. As in Somalia, I send men and materials to the Nationalists - the end of the SCW will generate another free unit and some Research Points (I believe) toward a couple areas. The small boost does help the Nats, as we'll see in a later chapter.

In the last month of this season our research is progressing
87 August Research.png

very nicely and I expect to be finished with all necessary 1936 tech before year's end. Production as well is moving steadily
89 August Production.png

in the direction we want. We almost have 10 Factories fully funded at this point and certainly Japan will see over a dozen completed before the Chinese Conflict. Lastly this season, the promised Small Entertainment Show kicks off. As indicated before, Japan sees a good 2% reduction in Consumer Goods required which will certainly provide a little help overall.

Falling in Love with Fall

1936 begins to wrap up as we move in to September with an event for a Government Secretary to focus on. We choose nationalizing the private sector in hopes that we'll see a boost with increased taxes coming to the Treasury. With a 50% chance
91 September event.png

to either hurt or help we roll the dice...and succeed! *
92 Money.png

Here under Compensation accepted we see a 15% bonus to our money gained each day. All things being equal, this provides the nation almost $1k a month. And we'll need it as next month our Monumental buildings options comes in.

94 University.png

This picture no doubt gives away what ultimately I choose for Japan, but in the Diplomacy window you can see the other options available to us as well. Note the cost to Japan when we opt to build the University! 3 dissent, 25k supplies, and $2k money will be removed here though we do gain some leadership points in Tokyo. The flavor text here reveals the juicy bonuses gained the next day.
95 University 2.png
96 University 3.png

In fact, we can see the dividends provided in the next screenshot.
98 October  Research.png

Granted, at this point in the year Japan achieved 110% officer ratio and thus I dialed the amount of Leadership Points going to Officers down quite a bit. The balance hit our Research queue and for the final couple months of this year we start to double our efforts. Production isn't exactly slacking off either but the earlier expenditure of 25k supplies means I need to allocate quite a bit of IC toward Supplies in order to rebuild back to 50,000.
100 October Production.png

In the final month of Fall, a couple of events appear as shown below:
104 November Events.png

On the left, Poland apparently no longer requires our Fuel. Too bad, I say! Not as a direct result of that trade dismissal (or is it?) we sign the Anti-Comintern Pact with Germany this month. We'll...have words with Germany next year as our military runs in to German-supplied and -trained troops. With more RPs provided to our Naval Research, we'll bid a fond farewell to Minister Hiraga as next year we'll be focusing on Carrier Research solely. We'll need it in 1941!
105 November Event.png

Lastly, one of the choices I selected when making my hero unit was an indication that I grew up poor, which provided a bonus and negative to Japan overall. Here in the final picture of 1936 we see Feed the Poor!, which is an event generated by that choice I made earlier. Very timely, as we'll see next month in the December Production in the next chapter here. You can get specific events randomly based on your choices for your hero throughout the game like this one as well.

Thank you all for reading and we'll see Chapter 3 soon as Japan moves out of 1936 and in to Wintertime!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Excellent update! Good to see the paths through your choices and how it affects the game.

• 2Like
Reactions: