• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I wanted to mention something out-of-character because no one else seems to have noticed it and I wondered if I'd made it clear enough. In my mind, the Kerr plan isn't supposed to be radically idealistic. In fact it is more or less designed to encourage a 'Jim Crow' system where the blacks are made free but the southern state governments are perfectly free to treat them as second class citizens. The Kerr plan intentionally sidesteps the issue of federal authority, not only declining to force abolition but also declining to burden slaveowners or even regulate the form of slavery. Then he says that he doesn't want to keep the southern state governments from treating the blacks as they please to keep their economy stable... which pretty much is an appeal for Jim Crow. His policy isn't what we would consider by 21st century standards, or even by 1860's standards. But nobody has actually called me a bastard yet for proposing it, so I'm wondering if anybody even noticed or am I just playing mind games against myself?))

((i can safely say that neither me nor khur had any clue that was going on))

So by this statement, there must be a lurking evil among the Democrats, such as the seccesionists in the SNP and the radical abolitionists in the Whigs!
((Fortunately for the Democrats, their lurking evil broke off and formed into the SNP. :rofl: (just kidding. Actually, the Democrats don't really seem to have much of a fringe group, as they're not really the best defined of parties - the more dominant and politics-shaping Whigs and SNP take more settled positions on things, and the Democrats fill in the unpopular third way most of the time) ))

((I wanted to mention something out-of-character because no one else seems to have noticed it and I wondered if I'd made it clear enough. In my mind, the Kerr plan isn't supposed to be radically idealistic. In fact it is more or less designed to encourage a 'Jim Crow' system where the blacks are made free but the southern state governments are perfectly free to treat them as second class citizens. The Kerr plan intentionally sidesteps the issue of federal authority, not only declining to force abolition but also declining to burden slaveowners or even regulate the form of slavery. Then he says that he doesn't want to keep the southern state governments from treating the blacks as they please to keep their economy stable... which pretty much is an appeal for Jim Crow. His policy isn't what we would consider by 21st century standards, or even by 1860's standards. But nobody has actually called me a bastard yet for proposing it, so I'm wondering if anybody even noticed or am I just playing mind games against myself?))
((Well, I didn't notice too much of that (not that I thought was in any ways intentional), but still it's not too far off of what a non radical abolitionist might like in the 1860's. Slavery itself is being removed, and other things at least try to make somewhat decent living conditions for former slaves, so why bother with more? is the sentiment. I mean, Jim Crow survived for quite awhile in later more enlightened times. As an alternative to outright slavery, it's not really that horrible a proposal at this time.))

Love and War: Stories of the Mexican American War

Chapter 40: Politics Is My Battlefield

The President’s eyes flickered as he read the report laid upon his desk, almost obsessive in ensuring every word was properly and correctly understood, other than the quick movement of his pupils he remained motionless and expressionless. It was news of a battle in a small village within miles of the eastern Rio Grande River, the battle had been won for the US, but at a cost of a hundred men. The only other man in the room was an uneasy looking Colonel Jonathan Davis, Secretary of the South and head of the Southern Nationalist Party. One would assume the two men would be great political enemies, however the two had no problem expressing and benefiting from the support they offered each other politically. The reason Davis was uncomfortable and perhaps in part angry was more a personal, and perhaps spiritual one.

“John, may I ask you a most blunt question?” Davis said in faster speech than was normal for him, to which he was replied with a slight nod from Cameron, “I’ve seen you hear of the deaths of over a thousand men, and your response is consistently cold and distant, more so than on any other political issue. These are soldiers under your command and protection and you show no emotion at their perish.”

Cameron sighed, closed the report and drank the slight remainder in his glass of whisky, “Davis I respect you. You know that. I wouldn’t have appointed you to your position if I didn’t respect you. You ran as President, but I honestly don’t think you could do the job. True while it may be that I show no emotion, but for every dead American I feel a little piece of my consciousness occupied, I feel a shiver run through my body whole and I wish it were I in his place, I feel as if I have completely fail in my duties as commander-in-chief. Do you honestly think anybody could exercise this office during wartime without suppressing that? The burden would destroy them in a month, they’d become emotional while making fundamentally important decisions and we all know a decision made on the basis of strong emotion is more often than not the wrong one. I and any other human would make mistakes, and in this position you can’t make mistakes.”

“But you get emotional about slavery!”

“No, I get idealistic. A decent man of any ideology would act as I do. You’re a Colonel, if your soldiers, your friends, your comrades died on the field of battle alongside you, would you get emotional?”

“No.”

“Politics is my battlefield.”

There was silence in the room for a brief moment before Davis would again present a question which he had been wanting to ask Cameron for many months:
“On the issue of slavery, me and my colleagues wish for you support a bill......preventing any abolitionist laws from being proposed.”

“What would be the point in that?”

“I thought I explained adequately.”

“I do not question your description I question its purpose. I’ve already maintained that Congress doesn’t have the constitutional authority to pass an abolitionist bill. It would require a constitutional amendment, and even if I was prepared to propose such an amendment, which I am not willing to do at this time, it would never pass.”

“We both know that.”

“So it’s symbolism you want?”

“Cynical way of putting it.”

“Honest way of putting it,” Cameron remarked bluntly, before pausing to think as he lied back in his chair, “you can have your bill.”

Davis thanked the President for his support, or concession as his political rivals may have put it. Indeed Cameron knew that abolitionist Whigs would attempt to tear him to pieces over this legislation, all for the sake of symbolism. He poured himself another glass of whisky and uttered;
“Slavery shall be the death of me I swear.”

Wow this is a very interesting AAR. I'm relatively new but hopefully I'll make some contributions to this thread!

Name: Charles Rousseau
Senator for Pennsylvania
A son of French immigrants, Rousseau was born in Pennsylvania in 1803. After being educated in the noble principles of this nation, Rousseau finished his education at the University of Pennsylvania, where he obtained a law degree. Rousseau is an ardent believer in the philosophy of John Locke, and thus supports the upholding of all federal laws and the constitution at the moment. He believes that Locke is right in that The government's purpose is to protect the people's property, and would oppose any proposals of immediate abolition (He is open to gradual and legal forms of abolition though). With this philosophy, Rousseau was quickly elected Senator of Pennsylvania at the ripe age of 45 (i think its 1848?) as a member of the Whig Party. Though a Whig, Rousseau will not hesitate to depart from his party if he deems its policies to violate the Constitution or the Social Contract that this glorious republic was founded upon.

Wow this is a very interesting AAR. I'm relatively new but hopefully I'll make some contributions to this thread!

Name: Charles Rousseau
Senator for Pennsylvania
A son of French immigrants, Rousseau was born in Pennsylvania in 1803. After being educated in the noble principles of this nation, Rousseau finished his education at the University of Pennsylvania, where he obtained a law degree. Rousseau is an ardent believer in the philosophy of John Locke, and thus supports the upholding of all federal laws and the constitution at the moment. He believes that Locke is right in that The government's purpose is to protect the people's property, and would oppose any proposals of immediate abolition (He is open to gradual and legal forms of abolition though). With this philosophy, Rousseau was quickly elected Senator of Pennsylvania at the ripe age of 45 (i think its 1848?) as a member of the Whig Party. Though a Whig, Rousseau will not hesitate to depart from his party if he deems its policies to violate the Constitution or the Social Contract that this glorious republic was founded upon.

That was me sorry I didnt know you had to create a separate account for this forum. I just got a game so i didnt really know a lot about this forum. I do now! haha

((forgot I still had another chapter of this that I hadn't yet posted - so without further ado...))

Love and War: Stories of the Mexican-American War

Chapter 22: In War, Iron. In Peace, Gold.

“...We fight for the people of Alta California. Of the Nevada region. Of Deseret. We fight for the citizens of Mexico whose government has disregarded and trampled upon their rights. It is our duty as well that they might have new guards for future security.”
- From the “Why We Fight” speech written to Americans from Daniel Gallatin while in California.

“A land of FREEDOM for all peoples-”

Gallatin winced. While the latest proponent of a California Republic (he called it “The Pacific Commune of the Western Free Lands”, and Gallatin called him word-flag, because his flag design incorporated the entire title on it in both English and Spanish) was obviously passionate about his cause, his booming voice and bombastic presentation was not very pleasant to sit though.

“-with EQUALITY by a common vote in all aspects of life. A land of PROSPERITY is what the PACIFIC - which means ‘peaceful’ - Commune of the Western Free Lands would be.”

“Thank you for your proposal, Mr. Stillwell. Now, I am afraid I must be going if I am to lunch with our host today.” Daniel retreated from the room as quickly as politely possible, almost running into his children.

“There you are, we had been looking all over for you.” William said.

“Father, can we go with Ignacio to see if the latest ship has any mail?” Ida asked. Ignacio, who was leaning on a column nearby added in, “The marine captain is going there as well with a couple guards of the Oregon Militia, and he said we could travel with him, sir.”

Daniel smiled. “That sounds like a good idea, children. You may go.”

“Thank you Father.” “Thank you, Mr. Gallatin.”

Daniel continued on and met the elder Vallejo on his way to the dining room. Mariano was looking unusually contemplative, but began the conversation as he usually did.

“You know, I always schedule the most interesting propositions right before meals, so you will always have something to talk about.”

“Now I thought that you scheduled them so I would not be tempted to go overtime and make you wait for your food.” Daniel replied.

“Stillwell’s commune not to your tastes?”

“It’s a lost cause. From what I’ve seen, only Mr. Ide’s Bear Republic has any chance so far... What do you think?”

“I was chosen because I do not side with any of them.”

“What are your thoughts, then?”

“I think that the republic that Washington stabilized and legitimatized is our best hope for a secure future. I would rather see us be added as the next shining star on that banner, than any of these imaginative flags fly over us.”

“Well, if this is how all the nation proposals will go, you might get your wish.”

“Yes, yes.” Mr. Vallejo paused to slowly eat the plate of fried beans before him.

“Come on, you are so reserved today. It cannot be that you are hungry, for I am here to eat lunch with you earlier than yesterday even. What is on your mind?”

“Well, if I might say it. Your daughter Ida - have you noticed how close she and Ignacio are now?”

“I have observed it somewhat, yes.”

“They are both fine children, of course. But... what do you think about it?”

“Well, I think that I should hope that Ida marries into a good family - a caring and respectable family, that is.”

“Of course. And...?”

“And I think you’re a good family.”

Excellent story Gloa. Me Gusta Mucho. :D

On another note. Guys, I'm really no good with tickets, so I'm just gonna post the update with pictures of the Presidential candidates. If you can make a ticket picture, post it here and I'll replace the PC's pic with it. :)

Excellent story Gloa. Me Gusta Mucho. :D

On another note. Guys, I'm really no good with tickets, so I'm just gonna post the update with pictures of the Presidential candidates. If you can make a ticket picture, post it here and I'll replace the PC's pic with it. :)

((i for one dont care about tickets. all i care about is each candidates platform, so lets get on with this election :D))

((i for one dont care about tickets. all i care about is each candidates platform, so lets get on with this election :D))

I'm fnishing up the update now. :D

The tickets just add to the feel.

The Presidential Election of 1849

The Primaries of 1848 would be remembered for two events. The return of pre-Cameron sectionalism, and the virtual collapse of the SNP. The latter event even caused a Democrat resurgence. These primaries would never quite be forgotten by the parties that survived or succeeded the survivors.
The SNP began its primary with business as usual. However, John Hensdale’s nomination was interrupted by Samuel Bute. Bute informed the party that he had the full intention to run in a fair and orthodox primary. Spurred on by Bute’s announcement, Nicolas Khur also announced his candidacy. General Davis desperately tried to reinstate order in his party, but was soon sidelined by Bute [1], who was adamant and had begun spouting his support for Southern Independence.
This prompted Hensdale to leave the SNP as protest and join the Democrats [2]. Only Khur and Bute were left, and even the SNP could not dare support a man who espoused Southern Independence. Khur won almost unanimously on the first ballot, and became the SNP’s candidate for the second time.
The Whigs’ greatest challenge was to come up with a candidate who could replace Cameron [3]. Their options boiled down to Jeremiah Brass and James B. Kerr [4]. The first ballot ended in a marginal victory for Kerr, and Brass called for a new one. This ballot however, was effectively decided when the president voiced his support for Kerr, and Brass backed down, conceding the nomination in return for the position of Vice President in any future administration of Kerr’s.

kerre.jpg

1. James Boozeman Kerr, the first Catholic to become a Presidential Candidate.​

The Democrat National Convention was shaken up by the sudden appearance of John Hensdale. He informed his old party that he was rejoining them, and running for the nomination. He would go up against Nicholas Gafferty and Eldud Walsh. Hensdale brought with him many disillusioned members of the SNP, but they could not save him at the ballot from the distrust his breakaway from the party in 1838 had created. The Democrat nomination went to Eldud Walsh after three ballots [5].
Campaigning season that year would reach completely new heights. The fact that all three of the candidates were running for the first time exacerbated the nervousness of the advertisers. Leaflets were passed out and the candidates held numerous speeches. When voting day came, the Democrats seemed to have a good chance at victory for the first time since 1837, and the SNP was drawing ever closer to collapse as General Davis’ sidelining removed the man who had created the party and ruled it as his brigade, letting out all the extremism in his party with his absence.

[1} – Khur however, promised Davis the Vice-Presidential nomination on his ticket.

[2] – Hensdale’s main reason for leaving was that he had been promised the 1848 nomination in 1844, and thus felt cheated.

[3] – The President having decided to follow the example set by George Washington and refraining from serving more than two terms, despite the fact that no constitutional term limits were in place.

[4] – John Fender also ran, but withdrew after a bad showing at the second ballot.

[5] – Hensdale withdrew on the second ballot, throwing his support behind Walsh.

Presidential Candidates/Tickets of 1849

Election Manifesto of the Whig party
kerre.jpg

Presidential Candidate: James Boozeman Kerr
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Jeremiah Brass​

Honorable ladies and gentlemen of the United States of America, before us is a simple choice. There must be either the platform of comprimise, meeting the challenges of our great nation with half measures or the platform of determination and the belief that we can and must strive to build a new nation with every ounce of strength in our bodies and souls.
As the man honored with your endorsement it is my sacred duty to say that we have a sacred obligation to follow the second course. We are a nation founded on a sacred pledge, that all men, no matter how different, share a common goal of pursuing freedom and happiness. We must work to honor that pledge, creating a land where all men are free and united by the bonds of our nation’s principles!
This will be no easy task. But we are a mighty nation, forged in the fires of struggle and with our mettle proven just recently in our great victory over Mexico. We must bring that same vigor and power to bear in building a stronger nation. We will build true to the spirit of our founding fathers, letting all men chose their own path. The north shall be north, the south shall be south and the west shall be west. But we shall be a nation united more then ever by the love of freedom.
We might hope to cling to the past or say that trying to change our nation will tear it apart. But I have lived through the most radical changes of anywhere in my home state of Maryland. My blessed hometown of Easton is the town I have always known. We have embraced the future but we have not forgotten the past, just as our fathers did before us and our sons will do so in time God willing. And so I offer you a prayer. Maryland is Maryland once again and so shall America be America once more!

Policies:

Military:
The war is over and we are a nation of citizens-soldiers not soldier-citizens. The army shall be reduced to a standing strength of around eighteen thousand soldiers. A small navy shall be built on the pacific as well as ports in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angelos but we shall not build weapons we do not need. If war is brought to us let nothing hold us back but for now, let us embrace the luxury of pacifism that the Almighty has granted us.

Foreign policy:
We should seek to use our diplomatic influence to secure closer ties with our southern neighbors peacefully. A rapprochement with Mexico should be sought. We should of course avoid entangling alliances with powers outside our hemisphere.

Economic:
Turbulent times run ahead of us. We must use government intervention when necessary to make sure that our commerce is not disrupted unnecessarily. However we should not try to prop up industries that are not viable in the long term. If private capital is slow to expand rail networks or profitable industries, the government can serve as a commercial catalyst but in general we should trust in the markets that have served us well thus far. Tariffs must also be used when necessary to encourage our domestic industries and raise capital for abolition.

Slavery:
We must encourage the southern states to abolish slavery of their own accord but we should not do so through half measures. I will seek as my first order of business to get passed a law subsidizing the production of cotton and tobacco when it is done through free labor. In this way we can unite the nation in freedom without dictating the terms of that freedom to the southern states. The terms and treatment of the negros in the south is not a concern of the federal government and should be left to the legislatures of the southern states.

Immigration:
The ravages of war and famine are causing terrible suffering among the common peoples of Europe. We should welcome these poor people when possible.

Homesteading:
The hodgepodge of squatters rights that currently are the law of the land in the federal territories need to cut down into straightforward homesteading laws that will encourage the settlement of these territories.

Religious:
Need it be said that I am honored and privileged to live in a land that sees the wisdom of our secular way of life?

Health Care and Women’s Rights:
The Cameron reforms show promise. Let us see how the initial reforms work and possibly build upon them.

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party
walsh.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Eldud Walsh
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Nicholas Gafferty​

My fellow countrymen, we are in a time of great need. The slavery issue threatens to tear our nation apart, Mr Bute’s unfortunate illness has only delayed the inevitable crisis, but it has given us valuable time to act. I beg of you countrymen, do not vote for the radicals in the SNP or the Whigs, who, however different they claim to be, will both lead us down the path of separatism and ruin. Vote instead for the Democrats, and a calm steady hand to hold this nation together. The radicals in the SNP would see us split along geographic lines over petty ideological disagreement. Not in my country, Americans. Not while I still draw breath.

Policies

Economy:
More effort needs to be made on preventing mass-produced American goods from being exported instead of industrially produced in our country, and also to prevent said goods be wasted. Thus, we would enact a State Capitalist economic policy. Priority would be given to unsold goods produced in America, counteracted by building factories to take up demand, as shall occur with exported goods. This will also improve our employment situation.

Military:
Our army should be expanded as much as possible, as should our navy, in both technology and size. We should concentrate heavily on the navy, lest a repeat of 1812 damage our economy.

Foreign policy:
We should do all we can to make the new World our sphere of influence, and be very particular about the Monroe Doctrine, as Europeans still hold some weight in the Americas.

Slavery:
On the slavery front our main aim would be attempting to prevent tensions from being inflamed.

Infrastructure:
We shall encourage in any way possible business elite of our country to build a great transcontinental railroad. It would be a truly momentous achievement for our nation, and would gain us much prestige.

- Eldud Walsh, Democratic congressman for Virginia.

Election manifesto of the Southern Nationalist Party
khur.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Nicolas Khur
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Jonathan Davis​

My fellow American's, we must not let our nation be torn asunder. There have recently been heard rumors from my fellow SNP members for the cause of an Independent South. I have been nominated to this platform to put those rumors to rest. They are completely and utterly false. The people of the south seek nothing more then to continue to live in peace with their northern counterparts, and that is what a presidential term under me would bring. Peace and understanding for all the regions of this glorious nation, which is why any cabinet of mine would have members not only of the SNP, but other parties too.

Policies:

Economics:
Under me, I shall see to it personally that industry and infrastructure is created across the entire of our nation. Railroads shall be built across our large nation, linking both sides and everything in between, built by the labor of its people, and paid for by the currency of the nation. We shall also seek to encourage craftsmen in our newly acquired states and in the south, to help support the factories that shall be built in these regions. In the south, to help gently shift away from slave labor, and in the west to help encourage immigration and to provide for the influx of newly freed slaves, and the arrival of new citizens from across the sea. All this shall, of course, be paid for and built by the Government as our budget allows. Tariffs to be set in a way that encourages new businesses but also keeps current ones in business, and taxes set in a lenient position to allow for the common man to live comfortably in his own home.

Foreign:
I shall strive to build up good relations with the nations in the Pacific and Asia, now that we have newly acquired ports, able to send merchant ships and envoys to these nations. This should help to expand our influence and markets, bringing more prestige and prosperity to the nation. I shall also continue with the enforcement of the Monroe Doctrine in Central and South America so that the entirety of the Americas may one day be united under a common banner. Immigration from foreign nations shall also be encouraged, to show to those oppressed that the United States of America will welcome them with open arms.

Military:
As being a General in the Army would have shown, I shall strive to expand our nation's professional Army and Navy, with the expansion of both the Pacific and Atlantic Fleets, and the recruitment of more soldiers, even those Americans newly arrived, be they from foreign nations, or newly made citizens by the inclusion of former Mexican Territories into the U.S. Fortifications along our borders shall be planned and built to allow the adequate defense of our nation, and new naval bases for our ever expanding navy.

Domestic:
We will show the world that many different religions can co-exist in a single nation, such as is the case in America. We will welcome all to our shores and give everyone the chance to become a citizen, and allow any religion the ability to practice in peace.

Slavery:
This is a heatedly discussed topic and deserves a well educated answer. Slavery will not survive the century. Be it through bloodshed or peace, we have to decide. Under me, we shall use a policy of gradual abolition, through the buying of freedom for slaves with the Freedom Acts and the inclusion of new industry in the south. Many a Southerner believe their way of life is being destroyed by the men of the North, I would answer that this is not so. Both sides are trying to help the other, and this is what must be done, mutual help and understanding. We shall bring about the end of slavery slowly and peacefully. More specifically, we shall bring freedom through industry.

Please think on what I have said and if you believe that this is the right choice, fellow voters, then vote for me, Nicolas Khur, as your next President. Thank You.

---------------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Polls are open!
Vote! Vote! Vote!

Last edited:
The Union must be defended. Vote Nicolas Khur

((You hit the post button too early. The "to stop this from happening" isn't there. You can tell I'm right from the absence of full stop.

Quite frankly, I don't enjoy any of the candidates, but I must give my vote to James Kerr.

I must ask you, Mr Carr, what you find wrong with my platform. This is a democracy after all, and if I am elected president I am not going to force unwanted laws and policies on the American people. Democracy means rule by the people, not rule by the president.

((You can tell I'm right from the absence of full stop.))

((i know im not the smartest person here, so can you explain what that last sentence means? i understand the rest, just this last part that confuses me))

I must ask you, Mr Carr, what you find wrong with my platform. This is a democracy after all, and if I am elected president I am not going to force unwanted laws and policies on the American people. Democracy means rule by the people, not rule by the president.

I wish to know as well. Any of us shall do our best to protect the nation. Your voice will be heard for any of our policies you see as wrong.

After careful consideration, Senator Charles Rousseau of Pennsylvania must cast his vote for James Boozeman Kerr as his platform fulfills what government should be. A passive and limited army as well as careful economic intervention both has the potential to bring about a prosperous economy. Furthermore, I must reject the other candidates' proposals for expanding the army especially when we as a nation are not threatened militarily by any other nations at the moment (This essentially is then a waste of money that could be helping our economy).

Thus, I must urge my fellow statesmen to vote for the only candidate who truly will bring prosperity to this great nation by voting Whig at this year's election!

((i know im not the smartest person here, so can you explain what that last sentence means? i understand the rest, just this last part that confuses me))

((You didn't put a full stop after "Vote Nicholas Khur"))