+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Welshman's Quest for Doritos

Crusader Kings IISengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

A Welshman's Quest for Doritos

A Welshman’s Quest for Doritos

Ok. Some of you might remember me from my AAR in CK. Hopefully not many of you. Please don’t read it if you haven’t already. It was awful.

Back to this. A lot of you will probably remember badger ken, who used to do gameplay aars in this forum. He’s stopped now due to a bad shoulder which too much computer time had exacerbated, but his AARs were always great fun to read. Anyhow, ken’s first aar in Vic2 was one for Mexico. It ended in the 1860s due to computer crashes, and with hole he’d dug it into I think he was glad to stop. No offence to ken, who went onto become a GP with Persia and Switzerland, rise to 2nd with Denmark and break the UK’s dominance with China, but that aar should be taken as a pamphlet in what not to do.

So, here I am, I’ve decided I want to do a gameplay aar in Vic2. What country should I do? Suddenly I remember Mexico for N00bs, and I decide, why not give it a shot? I am a Doritos-aholic (couldn’t guess by the title?) and they sound Spanish, so there’s probably some in Mexico. Just better not get them confused with burritos, which just aren’t as heavenly.

I confess I have utterly failed to get into the 20th century as of yet with this game, but I’m playing 1.4 with the Great War mod so it should be fun when I do. And, because I’m a crap player more than anything, I’ll be using BK’s Victoria 2 Advisor.

Grand Strategy? Anything that harms the US is a good thing, a balkanized US is in my interests, stop the US form getting any sphereling, etc, etc, etc. I think you get the point now. Fetch the Doritos and settle down to watch!

Contents

Chapter One
    Chapter Two
    The War Continues
    The War of keeping fit
    The peaceful years
    War number two
    The war
    The Continuing war
    The end of the war
    The new peaceful years
    The new war
    The giant joins
    State of the union: 1861
    A new update
    Last edited by WelshDude; 12-01-2012 at 22:37.
    My current AAR, A Welshman's Quest for Doritos. Fetch the doritos, and settle down to wathc my comedy of errors! On hiatus at the moment.

The President's 1836-1936: Potentially with more zombies.

John Sharp, Federal senator for Indiana in The Presidents, born 1882.
    Formerly Eldud Walsh, former President in The Presidents. Then George Walsh, Democratic Senator for Virginia.

FNT Candidate for President David Bevan, born 1857 in the Shadow of the Andes. Come and join the fun!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    I am hungry for Doritos now.

I will be watching this, I have tried Mexico several times before, but I couldn't even conquer Texas, much less impede the USA's rampage of epicness.

Mexica!

As you can see above, Iíve started researching Freedom of Trade. Thatís a long-term step to help my economy and budget, which you can also see above (and below) is not what youíd call fantastic.

Youíll also (in the first screen) notice a major eyesore, which goes by the name of Texas. Letís get rid of that bit of rubbish.

One thing Iíve learned from my test games is that the Texan general (Sam Houston) has a +6 defense, so attacking him is basically suicide. Therefore I send Ejercto del Norte, commanded by Santa Anna, to dig in at Lubbock. I arrive there, and Houston attacks, going over the riverand giving me a +1 roll. Should be easy, right?

Or not.

Quite annoying too, as we started with the same amount of troops and they lost more, suggesting if my troops hadnít collapsed I would have won. Thatís the consequence of all your troops being irregulars. Oh well. My second army can finish the job for me...

See! I have nine thousand fresh troops against their six thousand Ďyellowí troops, and in case youíre wondering I have indeed outmanoeuvred them and ended up on the defense. My general doesnít have a defense bonus (none of my three do) but they have crossed a river again, giving me a nice +1 dice roll and negating their generalís bonuses, which are non-existent on attack. Should be easy, right?

It should indeed. And it only getís better.

This naturally leads too....

WHAT? I started with far more troops, they lost more than three times as many troops as me, and yet I still lost? Thatís just plain ridiculous. What kind of army would rout, as mine did, when victory was within the week? And more importantly, what kind of army wouldnít rout when defeat was within the week. I mean, Sam Houston has a morale bonus, true, but itís not that big.

Anyway, after Iíve calmed down (which was a while) I assemble my new battle plan.

(what you canít see here is that the Texans are retreating to Lubbock, but will get there after my army does...)

I do also finally get some good news...

Quite important given the state of my budget, as you can see above in the top left. And more good follows...

Surely I canít lose that? Well, stranger things have happened...

But if my dice carry on rolling like that Sam Houston won't live to see August!

As you can see above, five days later the rolls have reserved, but my formerly defeated army has returned to the fray and.....

VICTORY! About time too. Humorously, as you can see if you bother to add up the battle screens, Iím actually still losing the war by 0.1 war score, despite having destroyed the entire Texan army. And youíd think that would grant more warscore than a measly minus 0.1, wouldnít you. Oh well, the warís as goods as won anyway.... or is it...
    Last edited by WelshDude; 02-11-2011 at 19:40.
    My current AAR, A Welshman's Quest for Doritos. Fetch the doritos, and settle down to wathc my comedy of errors! On hiatus at the moment.

Formerly Eldud Walsh, former President in The Presidents. Then George Walsh, Democratic Senator for Virginia.

FNT Candidate for President David Bevan, born 1857 in the Shadow of the Andes. Come and join the fun!

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Hey WelshDude! Long time no see!

I'm sorry to hear about BadgerKen, I loved his AARs and learned an awful lot from them, especially his Persian and Mexican ones, which inspired me to play Mexico for my very first (non-demo) Vicky II game! I'll be sure to follow, with doritos!

BTW Nice to see you've fixed those screenshots
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Europa Universalis 3Victoria 2500k club

Shuttling back and forth between work and that someone special...
    And...cue US intervention.

Subscribified!
    The Last Mission A Love Story

There is no way to peace along the way of safety. For peace must be dared, it is itself the great venture and can never be safe. Peace is the opposite of security. To demand guarantees is to want to protect oneself. Peace means giving oneself completely to God's commandment, wanting no security, but in faith and obedience laying the destiny of the nations in the hand of almighty God, not trying to direct it for selfish purposes. Battles are won, not with weapons, but with God. They are won when the way leads to the cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Hey WelshDude! Long time no see!
    Same to you. Don't think I've seen you probably since..... December, actually. Hope I'll manage to give you some enjoyment from this.

BTW Nice to see you've fixed those screenshots
    Simple mistake, any idiot could 've made it. BTW, do you think the screenies should be a bit smaller?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

Simple mistake, any idiot could 've made it. BTW, do you think the screenies should be a bit smaller?
    Yes, I definitely think you should take the time to crop them, especially for your research and budget screens which are a little hard to read uncropped.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War

Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

A good start - now if only you can avoid the US joining the war you're set.

I too was a big fan of badger_ken's AARs and it's a real shame he can't post here anymore.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Very short update here, for no particular reason. This really should have been included in the first chapter, but I thought for some reason that would exceed the screen limit (it doesn't) and so didn't add it. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 1836 dawns bright and cheerily, I've finally remembered to begin the construction of an irregular....

Too bad the budget is terrible....

And tax raises have little effect....

But on the most important front of all, the war front, I am thriving in October...

But unfortuantely, November cannot follow that up, and I bet you know why....

Damn! You'd have thought they'd have gone in when the Texans were still living if at all, but no, they have to lumber in now.

Still the war remains very winnable, even in the hands of a clown like me. Will I win it though? Tune into next time to a Welshman's Quest for Doritos to find out. Same Vic2 time, same Vic2 station!
    Last edited by WelshDude; 03-11-2011 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    A good start - now if only you can avoid the US joining the war you're set.
    If only....

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Yes, I definitely think you should take the time to crop them, especially for your research and budget screens which are a little hard to read uncropped.
    I've cropped the new ones, and will continue to in future. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheExecuter View Post
    And...cue US intervention.

Subscribified!
    Got that one right!

Quote Originally Posted by tamius23 View Post
    Tortilla chips? *chomp*
    No, Doritos. Big difference. Particularly in taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Savoy View Post
    I am hungry for Doritos now.

I will be watching this, I have tried Mexico several times before, but I couldn't even conquer Texas, much less impede the USA's rampage of epicness.
    Sorry about that. But I gurantee you won't be the only one failing horrifically!

I wouldn't worry about that budget deficit, you'll be in the black once you're at peace and Freedom of Trade is researched. The US should actually have less troops than Mexico at this point in time, so beat the hell out of them before they get too powerful!

I am fortunate that the USA has a slightly delayed reaction to the war, meaning I am bored for a couple of months.

Dallas falls....

The upper house is rearranged.....

And finally something vaguely interesting, as the US's slow motion response begins.

That's about a thousand miles away from any of my troops, so I think'll let it pass. For now, at least.

The fall of Houston appears to be good news, but it delays my reactions (at least, that's my excuse) and....

the USA strikes! I start to move twelve of those fifteen thousand troops you can see in the bottom left to reinforce Houston....

and they're late. Let's hope this doesn't get repetitive, becuase it could be quite a blow.

(ignore the movement, I didn't really do that)

As you can see, my army's in a poor shape. It's suffering attrittion, is too disorganised to attack and if split can't hold the Americans. To cut it short, I need a godsend, and I'm an atheist.

But just for Vic2, I might covert to AIism

HELL YES!

This does lead to the war becoming rather strange, but whatever.

You remember what I said about godsends? Well, here's another one from the academy gods....

Perfection. I couldn't have asked for better. He's easily my best general and more than enough to take on the USA.

What's gonna happen, I hear you ask? Well...

That was what happened in the time it took me to zoom in!

There's odds I like! And this isn't another going to be another Austin either.....

Just look!

*Does a little jig* I've won!
    Last edited by WelshDude; 21-12-2013 at 15:48.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

Add Louisiana as a wargoal now!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Savoy View Post
    Very nice!

Add Louisiana as a wargoal now!
    Thanks.

I have actually caught up with gameplay now, so this advice thing is good.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDude View Post
    Thanks.

I have actually caught up with gameplay now, so this advice thing is good.
    Let's not get carried away just yet! I'd make sure you have the US properly beaten before getting too cocky. Let's just hope your great general survives the war.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice ! time to drive these yankees out , so they won't want to mess with Mexico again!
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    Nice ! time to drive these yankees out , so they won't want to mess with Mexico again!
    That's the plan!

There won't be a new update until Tuesday at the earliest. Sorry about that.

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

If I may give some advice, I'd get on with colonising Oklahoma and those other states between you and the US.

Quote Originally Posted by tamius23 View Post
    If I may give some advice, I'd get on with colonising Oklahoma and those other states between you and the US.
    As a matter of fact, I am colonizing Oklahoma, but thanks anyway! It won't be finished till 1839 though - is there anything i can do to speed this up? The troop bonus was scrapped with 1.3, wasn't it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast