• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WelshDude

Lt. General
6 Badges
Nov 25, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
A Welshman’s Quest for Doritos

Ok. Some of you might remember me from my AAR in CK. Hopefully not many of you. Please don’t read it if you haven’t already. It was awful.

Back to this. A lot of you will probably remember badger ken, who used to do gameplay aars in this forum. He’s stopped now due to a bad shoulder which too much computer time had exacerbated, but his AARs were always great fun to read. Anyhow, ken’s first aar in Vic2 was one for Mexico. It ended in the 1860s due to computer crashes, and with hole he’d dug it into I think he was glad to stop. No offence to ken, who went onto become a GP with Persia and Switzerland, rise to 2nd with Denmark and break the UK’s dominance with China, but that aar should be taken as a pamphlet in what not to do.

So, here I am, I’ve decided I want to do a gameplay aar in Vic2. What country should I do? Suddenly I remember Mexico for N00bs, and I decide, why not give it a shot? I am a Doritos-aholic (couldn’t guess by the title?) and they sound Spanish, so there’s probably some in Mexico. Just better not get them confused with burritos, which just aren’t as heavenly.

I confess I have utterly failed to get into the 20th century as of yet with this game, but I’m playing 1.4 with the Great War mod so it should be fun when I do. And, because I’m a crap player more than anything, I’ll be using BK’s Victoria 2 Advisor.

Grand Strategy? Anything that harms the US is a good thing, a balkanized US is in my interests, stop the US form getting any sphereling, etc, etc, etc. I think you get the point now. Fetch the Doritos and settle down to watch!

Contents

Chapter One
Chapter Two
The War Continues
The War of keeping fit
The peaceful years
War number two
The war
The Continuing war
The end of the war
The new peaceful years
The new war
The giant joins
State of the union: 1861
A new update

Last edited:
I am hungry for Doritos now. :(

I will be watching this, I have tried Mexico several times before, but I couldn't even conquer Texas, much less impede the USA's rampage of epicness.

Mexica!

v21r.jpg

As you can see above, I’ve started researching Freedom of Trade. That’s a long-term step to help my economy and budget, which you can also see above (and below) is not what you’d call fantastic.

v23kx.jpg

You’ll also (in the first screen) notice a major eyesore, which goes by the name of Texas. Let’s get rid of that bit of rubbish.

v22t.jpg

One thing I’ve learned from my test games is that the Texan general (Sam Houston) has a +6 defense, so attacking him is basically suicide. Therefore I send Ejercto del Norte, commanded by Santa Anna, to dig in at Lubbock. I arrive there, and Houston attacks, going over the riverand giving me a +1 roll. Should be easy, right?

v24k.jpg

Or not.

Quite annoying too, as we started with the same amount of troops and they lost more, suggesting if my troops hadn’t collapsed I would have won. That’s the consequence of all your troops being irregulars. Oh well. My second army can finish the job for me...

v25j.jpg

See! I have nine thousand fresh troops against their six thousand ‘yellow’ troops, and in case you’re wondering I have indeed outmanoeuvred them and ended up on the defense. My general doesn’t have a defense bonus (none of my three do) but they have crossed a river again, giving me a nice +1 dice roll and negating their general’s bonuses, which are non-existent on attack. Should be easy, right?

v26y.jpg

It should indeed. And it only get’s better.

v27w.jpg

This naturally leads too....

v28t.jpg

WHAT? I started with far more troops, they lost more than three times as many troops as me, and yet I still lost? That’s just plain ridiculous. What kind of army would rout, as mine did, when victory was within the week? And more importantly, what kind of army wouldn’t rout when defeat was within the week. I mean, Sam Houston has a morale bonus, true, but it’s not that big.

Anyway, after I’ve calmed down (which was a while) I assemble my new battle plan.

v29.jpg

(what you can’t see here is that the Texans are retreating to Lubbock, but will get there after my army does...)

I do also finally get some good news...

v210a.jpg

Quite important given the state of my budget, as you can see above in the top left. And more good follows...

v213t.jpg

Surely I can’t lose that? Well, stranger things have happened...

v213t.jpg

But if my dice carry on rolling like that Sam Houston won't live to see August!

v214.jpg

As you can see above, five days later the rolls have reserved, but my formerly defeated army has returned to the fray and.....

v215.jpg

VICTORY! About time too. Humorously, as you can see if you bother to add up the battle screens, I’m actually still losing the war by 0.1 war score, despite having destroyed the entire Texan army. And you’d think that would grant more warscore than a measly minus 0.1, wouldn’t you. Oh well, the war’s as goods as won anyway.... or is it...

Last edited:
Hey WelshDude! Long time no see!

I'm sorry to hear about BadgerKen, I loved his AARs and learned an awful lot from them, especially his Persian and Mexican ones, which inspired me to play Mexico for my very first (non-demo) Vicky II game! I'll be sure to follow, with doritos!

BTW Nice to see you've fixed those screenshots ;)

Hey WelshDude! Long time no see!

Same to you. Don't think I've seen you probably since..... December, actually. Hope I'll manage to give you some enjoyment from this.

BTW Nice to see you've fixed those screenshots

Simple mistake, any idiot could 've made it. :) BTW, do you think the screenies should be a bit smaller?

Simple mistake, any idiot could 've made it. :) BTW, do you think the screenies should be a bit smaller?

Yes, I definitely think you should take the time to crop them, especially for your research and budget screens which are a little hard to read uncropped.

Very short update here, for no particular reason. This really should have been included in the first chapter, but I thought for some reason that would exceed the screen limit (it doesn't) and so didn't add it. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 1836 dawns bright and cheerily, I've finally remembered to begin the construction of an irregular....

v216q.jpg

Too bad the budget is terrible....

v217r.jpg

And tax raises have little effect....

v220.jpg

But on the most important front of all, the war front, I am thriving in October...

v221.jpg

But unfortuantely, November cannot follow that up, and I bet you know why....

v222.jpg

Damn! You'd have thought they'd have gone in when the Texans were still living if at all, but no, they have to lumber in now.

Still the war remains very winnable, even in the hands of a clown like me. Will I win it though? Tune into next time to a Welshman's Quest for Doritos to find out. Same Vic2 time, same Vic2 station!

Last edited:
A good start - now if only you can avoid the US joining the war you're set.

If only....

Yes, I definitely think you should take the time to crop them, especially for your research and budget screens which are a little hard to read uncropped.

I've cropped the new ones, and will continue to in future. Thanks for the advice.

And...cue US intervention.

Subscribified!

Got that one right!

Tortilla chips? *chomp*

No, Doritos. Big difference. Particularly in taste.

I am hungry for Doritos now. :(

I will be watching this, I have tried Mexico several times before, but I couldn't even conquer Texas, much less impede the USA's rampage of epicness.

Sorry about that. But I gurantee you won't be the only one failing horrifically!

I wouldn't worry about that budget deficit, you'll be in the black once you're at peace and Freedom of Trade is researched. The US should actually have less troops than Mexico at this point in time, so beat the hell out of them before they get too powerful!

I am fortunate that the USA has a slightly delayed reaction to the war, meaning I am bored for a couple of months.

Dallas falls....

v223.jpg

The upper house is rearranged.....

v224.jpg

And finally something vaguely interesting, as the US's slow motion response begins.

v225x.jpg

That's about a thousand miles away from any of my troops, so I think'll let it pass. For now, at least.

v226.jpg

The fall of Houston appears to be good news, but it delays my reactions (at least, that's my excuse) and....

v227.jpg

the USA strikes! I start to move twelve of those fifteen thousand troops you can see in the bottom left to reinforce Houston....

v228.jpg

and they're late. Let's hope this doesn't get repetitive, becuase it could be quite a blow.

v229q.jpg

(ignore the movement, I didn't really do that)

As you can see, my army's in a poor shape. It's suffering attrittion, is too disorganised to attack and if split can't hold the Americans. To cut it short, I need a godsend, and I'm an atheist.

v22w.jpg

But just for Vic2, I might covert to AIism

v23z.jpg

v24un.jpg

HELL YES!

This does lead to the war becoming rather strange, but whatever.

v25h.jpg

You remember what I said about godsends? Well, here's another one from the academy gods....

v27c.jpg

Perfection. I couldn't have asked for better. He's easily my best general and more than enough to take on the USA.

v28x.jpg

What's gonna happen, I hear you ask? Well...

v29t.jpg

That was what happened in the time it took me to zoom in!

v210v.jpg

There's odds I like! And this isn't another going to be another Austin either.....

v211.jpg

Just look!

v212.jpg

*Does a little jig* I've won!

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

I have actually caught up with gameplay now, so this advice thing is good.

Let's not get carried away just yet! I'd make sure you have the US properly beaten before getting too cocky. Let's just hope your great general survives the war.

Nice ! time to drive these yankees out , so they won't want to mess with Mexico again!

That's the plan!

There won't be a new update until Tuesday at the earliest. Sorry about that.

If I may give some advice, I'd get on with colonising Oklahoma and those other states between you and the US.

If I may give some advice, I'd get on with colonising Oklahoma and those other states between you and the US.

As a matter of fact, I am colonizing Oklahoma, but thanks anyway! It won't be finished till 1839 though - is there anything i can do to speed this up? The troop bonus was scrapped with 1.3, wasn't it?